Getting a job after homelessness.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

glenellynboy in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

I live in Chicago and am looking for work here. I have two BAs including one from Yale in economics. However, I am mentally ill and spent eight years homeless from 1981 to 1988. Lot's of stories, but no work, and that is doom for my resume, as well as most every other way an employer will look at my history. Is there any hope?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Evans in Berkeley, California

34 months ago

Thanks for the post.
For anyone looking for jobs or who are interested in future job search, there are hundreds of Chicago job openings on this job board that is entirely dedicated to help people in Chicago find jobs!
Here is a bitly link to the page! Hope this helps.
on.fb.me/rrX26a

You can 'like' the page if you wanted to get more updated information and resources.

-John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia S in Banning, California

33 months ago

Hey my companie is hiring Independant Brokers, the work can be 100% online.
If your interested visit our web-site at
www.IBOplus.com/CynthiaV

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia S in Banning, California

33 months ago

Hey my company is hiring Independant Brokers, the work can be 100% online.
If your interested visit our web-site at
www.IBOplus.com/CynthiaV

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

katierp in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

30 months ago

glenellynboy in Chicago, Illinois said: I live in Chicago and am looking for work here. I have two BAs including one from Yale in economics. However, I am mentally ill and spent eight years homeless from 1981 to 1988. Lot's of stories, but no work, and that is doom for my resume, as well as most every other way an employer will look at my history. Is there any hope?

HI - I truly understand your situation. Have your tried working for non-profit agencies that serve the mentally ill? Threshold's in Chicago is one of those agencies. There are many others.

Threshold's is a large organization with day programs, housing, a group of comunity workers who track the progress of MI persons living independently. They also run businesses that employ their clients. Thresholds would be a good start for an informational interview and possibly a resource for you in an employment search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James Batek in Winnetka, Illinois

30 months ago

I was a client at Threshholds for a while. They were very good but had a stigma themselves against the menatlly ill doing well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.