Jobs for felons I.T is the way to go...believe me.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

George Tsatsis in Bensenville, Illinois

52 months ago

Can a felony prevent a person from working in the medical field? Nonviolent drug charges from 2003?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

zmanz in Berwyn, Illinois

41 months ago

George Tsatsis in Bensenville, Illinois said: Can a felony prevent a person from working in the medical field? Nonviolent drug charges from 2003?

lol have drug fellonys, the guy who said go into networking (dumb ass) i have bachlors in network communications, NO ONE in that field will hire a convicted fellon, and nop you cannot go into (general) helthcare such as hospice or nursing or doctor or anything of sorts not even xray tech I CHECKED. lol i cant even get a job at wallmart or jewel. your best bet is to do mercinery work overseas or... well thats your only bet. that or finding some rundown dump which dosent check backgrounds, eatherway if you have fellonies for drugs, (S) one can be expunged, you are screwed and might as well give up and shoot yourself, or live on the streets. have a happy thanksgiving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (119) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick Gates in Calumet City, Illinois

27 months ago

I recently got out of prison and i am seeking some kinda employment i dont drink or drug

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

ThatGuy in Schaumburg, Illinois

26 months ago

I have 2 Felonies on my records. I took a plea Bargain to avoid Jail time so they cannot be expunged. I have since completed my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, and a Master's Degree in Christian Studies, I have 9 credits left on a 2nd Master's Degree in Counseling Ministries. I cannot find a job of any kind. I have submitted over 600 resumes in the past 4 months, I have been hired 7 times, each of them assuring me that my background would not be a problem. 5 of the jobs called me before I was to start to apologize and tell me that they were incorrect and I could not be hired. The other 2 allowed me to start, and after 1 week of work, the first told me they had to let me go, the second allowed me to work 3 weeks before admitting they had been incorrect in hiring me. I have a wide range of job skills and a well rounded resume. I have a BA, an MA and am almost finished on a 2nd MA, and none of that matters because my record trumps it all. Any suggestions here?

It's not a matter of bettering yourself or reforming yourself and changing who you are, nobody seems to care about the many positive changes in my life that resulted from my past mistakes.

It's a matter of getting past the predjudices of what a "felon" represents and the blanket discriminatory practices. We talk a big game in this country about second chances and wanting to eliminate repeat offenders, but we don't seem to give a felon any way to actually survive in the real world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

K. Anthony Ford in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

I was convicted for a felony 4 years ago. I've been looking for a job for three years and no one seems to want to hire me because of my background. I have change my life since I met my wife. I will be committed to my job if I was hired anywhere. I am a Father of 2 beautiful girls and 4 Handsome boys. I want to be able to give my kids an enjoyable life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CDillon3 in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

Hello, I was convicted July,2005,this July will be seven years. I have looked for work nonstop with no luck. I knew it would be hard getting employment,but this is ridiculous. Everyone says be hopeful somebody will hire you.Its hard to keep the faith when I cannot even land a job at an temp agency. I sought out agencies that are suppose to help felons,but your just a number with them. I am at wits end and really dont know what to do.. All I want is a second chance. USA is the only country that does not really honor the second chance act..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mobrien3 in Schaumburg, Illinois

24 months ago

i have an accounting bachelors degree and a great GPA. I recently moved to chicago and am trying to get my professional career started i have a felony for drinking and driving anyone have any good advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ThatGuy in Mount Prospect, Illinois

24 months ago

Good luck mobrien3. It's not easy. I found looking for anything at a company with more than 20 employees failed. Small mom and pop places that don't do background checks or who are willing to give you a chance if you are open about what happened and don't try to hide it might be your best chance. With accounting, I'm not sure about licensing in Illinois so Rhett is that aspect to consider. You may be able to approach several different companies and do their accounting on a consultant basis. Basically as an independent contractor. You are in a better position than I am. A DUI is easier to forgive than many other charges. Personally any job I have gotten since my conviction was luck and perseverance. I applied to over 800 jobs in 6 months that I was completely qualified for, aside from the conviction. I currently have 2 part time barely minimum wage jobs, but it's better than nothing. Not what I went to school for, but it's something. See my comment above if you want.

Bottom line, you can go into business for yourself and take in clients, so long as you can get the certification with the conviction. That looks like your best option. Harder than working for a corporate entity, but worth it for your wallet and dignity.

Good luck, and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ThatGuy in Mount Prospect, Illinois

24 months ago

Good luck mobrien3. It's not easy. I found looking for anything at a company with more than 20 employees failed. Small mom and pop places that don't do background checks or who are willing to give you a chance if you are open about what happened and don't try to hide it might be your best chance. With accounting, I'm not sure about licensing in Illinois so Rhett is that aspect to consider. You may be able to approach several different companies and do their accounting on a consultant basis. Basically as an independent contractor. You are in a better position than I am. A DUI is easier to forgive than many other charges. Personally any job I have gotten since my conviction was luck and perseverance. I applied to over 800 jobs in 6 months that I was completely qualified for, aside from the conviction. I currently have 2 part time barely minimum wage jobs, but it's better than nothing. Not what I went to school for, but it's something. See my comment above if you want.

Bottom line, you can go into business for yourself and take in clients, so long as you can get the certification with the conviction. That looks like your best option. Harder than working for a corporate entity, but worth it for your wallet and dignity.

Good luck, and God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChiLife in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

I recently moved back to Chicago from California and have had no luck in finding companies here in Illinois worth working for that will give an ex-felon a chance. I have 2 drug related felonies on my record, one from 2006 in CA, the other in 2008 in Pennsylvania. It seems the first one from '06 shouldn't come up on a seven year background check, which seems to be the standard, by next year 2013. Nonetheless it can be expunged or sealed. However, the felony from Pennsylvania can't EVER BE EXPUNGED without a pardon from the Governor...good luck self!!! I have been attending college since 2009 and will be graduating with a Bachelors in Supply Chain Management, which is a very sought after degree in the warehouse/logistic industry. None of that matters, as my record has hindered me thus far in finding ANY gainful employment. Therefore I'm am looking into starting my own small logistics company that will hire ONLY EX-OFFENDERS. This seems to be the only way I am going to be able to provide for my family and in turn help others dealing with the same struggle a chance to turn things in our favor. We have been discriminated against and banished from the opportunity of obtaining employment from these companies, and I am making it my life's work to challenge these practices and policies which are implace. I will keep you guys posted on the progress of such a plan. In the meantime gentlemen, good luck and keep on striving. Try to maintain a positive perspective, believe me, I know this isn't easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

downlooken[up] in Fort Worth, Texas

23 months ago

the only career in texas that hires ex-criminals is CRIME,So don't move here unless you open up your own business, u r eff you see kaid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

munsonwalker in Evanston, Illinois

22 months ago

I am not a felon, but I know many; and I am angered and frustrated that our American society does not provide resources to help ex-offenders get on the right track. What in the world are you supposed to do? How can you provide for others? or support yourselves? The penal system is a vicious machine that recycles human beings and sets them up for continuous failure. My only idea is that you start thinking like an entrepreneur. You got skills. Group together (2,3 4 6 8, whatever, pool your resources, start a small business or service. Find an "angel" or venture capitalist, a church or a non-profit for financial backing. I believe it can be done. You have to believe, too. Do not give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Renegade in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

You probably heard this before.. im innocent!! but sad to say, I was innocent. just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, no lawyer money nearly got me 6-30 years in prison. Lets start off saying (I HAVE WORKED NEARLY MY ENTIRE LIFE) uNTIL i MADE A BAD DECISION ONE NIGHT TO WALK DOWN A STREET I was falsely accused for attempted arson while coming home from work (mistaking identity) I havent been able to find a job since Im 32 years old with 3 kids and a wife to support, now what Im suppose to do, I go to school but it all feels like its in vain. I Have a above average resume and still no hires or attempt hires, kills me everyday to get out the bed only to face life with disappointment. I feel like a failure to my wife and kids. It feels like god has taken a crap on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey

22 months ago

To All-
Everyone deserves a second chance within reason, however, this does not apply to "any" employee who works in a position where a federal "secret" clearance is required to do the job, felony is a No Go..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey

22 months ago

Renegade in Chicago, Illinois said: You probably heard this before.. im innocent!! but sad to say, I was innocent. just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, no lawyer money nearly got me 6-30 years in prison. Lets start off saying (I HAVE WORKED NEARLY MY ENTIRE LIFE) uNTIL i MADE A BAD DECISION ONE NIGHT TO WALK DOWN A STREET I was falsely accused for attempted arson while coming home from work (mistaking identity) I havent been able to find a job since Im 32 years old with 3 kids and a wife to support, now what Im suppose to do, I go to school but it all feels like its in vain. I Have a above average resume and still no hires or attempt hires, kills me everyday to get out the bed only to face life with disappointment. I feel like a failure to my wife and kids. It feels like god has taken a crap on me.

Sir, I believe you, You must stay in school and graduate, it does make a difference. Try building up your public trust again, look into social services that help people who are felons. They will help you with your resume and career building, you might even try to apply as a Security Officer, the state police might take into account that you graduated from school and moved on with your life and have done well for your family and for yourself, they just might pass you, once you passed and get your license, your back in the game again and you'll get your public trust back and a chance to prove yourself! Good Luck and stay in the fight for public trust..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

HereIAM in New York, New York

22 months ago

This is a real sad commentary on this country. Non-violent drug charge and can't get a job. Then again, people with PhD and no record can't get a job.

Best thing is to get some education and start your own business. Look at fields that will allow you to run a business with your degree/skills, even with your conviction, OR run the service but not do the service, e.g. healthcare attendant.

My heart goes out to you. Goodluck and God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

For Each of You!!! in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

First, to anyone who thinks you can get employed in Illinois with a felony...you must not have one or know of anyone who does. The State of Illinois removed the time restriction of 7 years on background checks and now even if your felony was 20 years ago it is NOW a part of your accessible record. Only if the employer CHOOSES to limit the time period of their search does a person with a felony from some time ago has a possible opportunity to be employed.

Second, as the above is the current stance of the state of Illinois my suggestion is two fold. For those who have a degree or a driven passion, you may want to consider starting your own business. WHY?...Because you will NOT get a 'good' job in Illinois with a 'good' employer. Your other option is to consider relocation as other states have a limit of time as to how far back the background check can be processed or they may have a background check process that honors the FCRA standard of 7 year history.

Strangely, in the State of Illinois it seems that the northern area is more 'reaching' than the southern part of the state as I lived down state in Madison County for the past 15 years and never had an issue of gaining employment. In the past year of me being back 'HOME' in Chicago, I've been hired 17 times and each opportunity was rescinded just days before my start date. I too wonder why the potential employer states disclosure of your felony will not automatically mean you will not be hired with it clearly does.

Each of you may want to consider requesting clemency or expungement. It takes time but if awarded it will elevate your issue that if not addressed will plague you for the rest of your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

For Each of You!!! in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

First, to anyone who thinks you can get employed in Illinois with a felony...you must not have one or know of anyone who does. The State of Illinois removed the time restriction of 7 years on background checks and now even if your felony was 20 years ago it is NOW a part of your accessible record. Only if the employer CHOOSES to limit the time period of their search does a person with a felony from some time ago has a possible opportunity to be employed.

Second, as the above is the current stance of the state of Illinois my suggestion is two fold. For those who have a degree or a driven passion, you may want to consider starting your own business. WHY?...Because you will NOT get a 'good' job in Illinois with a 'good' employer. Your other option is to consider relocation as other states have a limit of time as to how far back the background check can be processed or they may have a background check process that honors the FCRA standard of 7 year history.

Strangely, in the State of Illinois it seems that the northern area is more 'reaching' than the southern part of the state as I lived down state in Madison County for the past 15 years and never had an issue of gaining employment. In the past year of me being back 'HOME' in Chicago, I've been hired 17 times and each opportunity was rescinded just days before my start date. I too wonder why the potential employer states disclosure of your felony will not automatically mean you will not be hired with it clearly does.

Each of you may want to consider requesting clemency or expungement. It takes time but if awarded it will elevate your issue that if not addressed will plague you for the rest of your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Harwood Heights, Illinois

22 months ago

You are so right, How do get a clemency or expungement. Where do you start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Harwood Heights, Illinois

21 months ago

Check these people out they might be able to help,............www.saferfoundation.org/.....they work with people with criminal records. It's worth a try

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cpayton314 in Evanston, Illinois

20 months ago

CDillon3 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello, I was convicted July,2005,this July will be seven years. I have looked for work nonstop with no luck. I knew it would be hard getting employment,but this is ridiculous. Everyone says be hopeful somebody will hire you.Its hard to keep the faith when I cannot even land a job at an temp agency. I sought out agencies that are suppose to help felons,but your just a number with them. I am at wits end and really dont know what to do.. All I want is a second chance. USA is the only country that does not really honor the second chance act..

Well, my friend! KEEP the faith no matter what! As for work. There are jobs out here! There is NO SUCH thing as NO JOBS! It may not be the job you dreamed of or was once your original career path, but its jobs out here. I have multiple felony drug convictions (8), three times to IDOC, and 13 arrests all within a 15 yr. period, and have NEVER been without a job! In fact, I worked two for a while. Having valid D.L. has been helpful. along with my computer and sales experience. I just had to be WILLING to knock on more doors (This is the KEY!) I've had to do everything from fast-food, dig ditches, car sales, and mop floors, etc. And, presently telemarketing. But, its a job! And the old adage is true: It's always easier to get a job, with a job [EVEN if it's at your local fast-food, or a garbage sorting facility], where there is a WILL, there is a WAY, and a JOB! JUST, KEEP the faith!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cpayton314 in Evanston, Illinois

20 months ago

Stephen in Harwood Heights, Illinois said: You are so right, How do get a clemency or expungement. Where do you start?

As a part-time paralegal in the past, Unless you have only "one" conviction, and that many yrs ago (3+) Those actions are basically a waste of time. Your Federal rap sheet, can NEVER be expungement. Clemency of the Executive kind is a "rare bird" and rarely happens to common folks. Sealed records/expungement: can be contained, but still show that there was "issues" in the "past"; so background can still be raised. Suggestion: Honesty is the best policy. BUILD A NETWORK OF PEOPLE WHO CAN VOUCH for your character and have a list of references who can speak on your behalf in the most favorable light.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jpsbarber@yahoo.com in Rockford, Illinois

18 months ago

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey said: To All-
Everyone deserves a second chance within reason, however, this does not apply to "any" employee who works in a position where a federal "secret" clearance is required to do the job, felony is a No Go..

You must go self-employed. Start your own business. It is possible. Start small. There are many ways to start your own business. Find something you like to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JT in Pekin, Illinois

17 months ago

Derrick Gates in Calumet City, Illinois said: I recently got out of prison and i am seeking some kinda employment i dont drink or drug

Hello,
One of the best things to do is to volunteer in various places and churches. You would be amazed at how many people you meet and they will see how you work. Moreover,some will let you use them as a reference. Also, remember workforce network and the Federal bonding program.

God Bless you!

JT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Larry Obama in Charlotte, North Carolina

15 months ago

Billy Graham doesnt hire anybody convicted of a crime for their Urban Minstries WWJD?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Y R in Missouri City, Texas

14 months ago

I have only one thing on my record and it has held me back for the past 2 years and all I want is a fair chance to find work and a place to stay for me and my children. I don't have a drug charge and no murder or anything of the such but that is how I am being treated and in my case I was the one that called the police and when I went to court I was told that I have to take what they give me or else I would go to jail for 10 years and now my record has been destroyed. The systems is really messed up in my case and it really hurts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Betsyboop in Taylorville, Illinois

11 months ago

I know this is an old thread, and clearly zmanz is angry and frustrated but I totally understand where his response is coming from. I have one felony drug conviction, 19 years ago, with not even a speeding ticket since then. The only jobs I have had since then (19 years!) have been ones where they either didn't ask or I took a crazy risk and lied about it. No, I'm not proud of that, but these former employers still give me glowing references because I was a hard worker...they just don't know. And, frankly, the system in Illinois doesn't give us much choice. We're not trustworthy if we lie about an offense, we're not trustworthy with an offense. I also have an advanced college degree and being honest on applications, I can't even get a job as a secretary!

My conclusion after nearly 20 years of dealing with this is that people would rather look down their noses at others, given any excuse to do so. I was told twelve years ago by an attorney I would not qualify for clemency (liar). I agree with EachofYou who posted about applying for it. I have just discovered that anyone can apply, it's just a rare shot. But what else have we got?
I've just about made up my mind that my next project will be supporting / starting some type of lobbying for help for folks with nonviolent, single offenses. There has been a little done recently in the state house, but we have a long way to go.

Best to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George Tsatsis in Elmhurst, Illinois

11 months ago

Betsyboop in Taylorville, Illinois said: I know this is an old thread, and clearly zmanz is angry and frustrated but I totally understand where his response is coming from. I have one felony drug conviction, 19 years ago, with not even a speeding ticket since then. The only jobs I have had since then (19 years!) have been ones where they either didn't ask or I took a crazy risk and lied about it. No, I'm not proud of that, but these former employers still give me glowing references because I was a hard worker...they just don't know. And, frankly, the system in Illinois doesn't give us much choice. We're not trustworthy if we lie about an offense, we're not trustworthy with an offense. I also have an advanced college degree and being honest on applications, I can't even get a job as a secretary!

My conclusion after nearly 20 years of dealing with this is that people would rather look down their noses at others, given any excuse to do so. I was told twelve years ago by an attorney I would not qualify for clemency (liar). I agree with EachofYou who posted about applying for it. I have just discovered that anyone can apply, it's just a rare shot. But what else have we got?
I've just about made up my mind that my next project will be supporting / starting some type of lobbying for help for folks with nonviolent, single offenses. There has been a little done recently in the state house, but we have a long way to go.

Best to all.

Thanks and I hope something changes soon because I hate not having a stable job. It's hard enough as it is to live in this ass backwards place. I have been honest and I have lied to get work. I don't understand why People can't just let the past be in the past. I made a mistake and now paid it in full but still find myself being judged for my pasted. It's sad when people can not let go of the past. I don't understand how murders who commit crimes get out and find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DogLover in Matawan, New Jersey

7 months ago

I got arrested 5 years ago for possession and it has been hard for me to get a job even since. Below is an article that i just read with some good advice on how to get a job if you have a felony.

www.jobunlocker.com/blog/how-to-get-a-job-with-a-felony/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Moto69 in Long Beach, California

5 months ago

Finding work with a record is not as hard as you think (that's the good news) I have been dealing with this issue for ten years and I have found that the more unpleasant/dirty/dangerous a job is the more likely that employers either don't inquire or care about criminal history (that's the bad news). I was in sales/finance before I took my state vacation and I knew damn well nobody would hire me in my former field with my convictions regardless of any past relationship we may have had. I found work in the oilfields quite quickly, as it qualifies for the previously mentioned unpleasantness. I even had company, I found that half my coworkers where either on parole or probation. I don't think there are any oilfields in Illinois but i'm sure there is construction witch is another popular place to land if you can't pass a background check. Bottom line is you have to be willing to swallow your pride and put your ass on the line for a paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Bloomfield, Connecticut

2 months ago

Construction is the way to go. There's a construction company that operates all over the US.

felonyhire.com/

Go there and apply. I started at $17.50 an hr. But, its very hard work.
And they do random drug tests. Just an FYI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TartBertha in Mitchell, South Dakota

1 month ago

Construction and other hard labor jobs are not for people who have rap sheets and past injuries that place limitations on them. I'm not a felon (but I do have a high-level misdemeanor from a moment of youthful stupidity) and I have a pain in the ass time finding work. I really don't know how you guys put up with it, seeing as it's hard enough to survive a job search with a high-level misdemeanor, let alone anything above that. Anyway, I'd do like many of the now ex-felons I went to High School with, and move to North Dakota and work the oil fields, but seeing as my moment of youthful stupidity lead to me fracturing my spine, I can't do hard labor of any sort (as I have recurring problems still).

What about those of us with a blemished record who don't have the luxury of working in hard labor due to health problems? Landing oneself in a hospital trying to do something beyond one's capabilities isn't really worth it!

donjoroty in Louisville, Kentucky

1 month ago

ThatGuy in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I have 2 Felonies on my records. I took a plea Bargain to avoid Jail time so they cannot be expunged. I have since completed my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, and a Master's Degree in Christian Studies, I have 9 credits left on a 2nd Master's Degree in Counseling Ministries. I cannot find a job of any kind. I have submitted over 600 resumes in the past 4 months, I have been hired 7 times, each of them assuring me that my background would not be a problem. 5 of the jobs called me before I was to start to apologize and tell me that they were incorrect and I could not be hired. The other 2 allowed me to start, and after 1 week of work, the first told me they had to let me go, the second allowed me to work 3 weeks before admitting they had been incorrect in hiring me. I have a wide range of job skills and a well rounded resume. I have a BA, an MA and am almost finished on a 2nd MA, and none of that matters because my record trumps it all. Any suggestions here?

It's not a matter of bettering yourself or reforming yourself and changing who you are, nobody seems to care about the many positive changes in my life that resulted from my past mistakes.

It's a matter of getting past the predjudices of what a "felon" represents and the blanket discriminatory practices. We talk a big game in this country about second chances and wanting to eliminate repeat offenders, but we don't seem to give a felon any way to actually survive in the real world.

Look into grant money to fund an organization to help felons, with a high residivism rate there is money to assist. Start your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AFT in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

I've been reading the comments. As an ex-offender the opportunities are slim. I was convicted over 10 years ago. I've gone through many programs for ex-offenders. My employment background is in Healthcare. I've obtain a Waiver from the Illinois Healthcare Registry. I've obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Cook County Circuit Court. I've applied to many major healthcare facilities. Nothing has surfaced. My criminal background was a Federal non-violent case. The only job offered was from a big box store. Of course the pay is minimum wage. What are we to do if no one is willing to give us a second chance? All of us can't start a business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

raza14u

1 month ago

I am with a not for profit, we assist folks crossing over from incarceration to the real world. I know that the IDES in Illinois, I am familiar with Rockford Illinois. They have an individual that assist people as to the process for expunge felony records there are 2 types of expungements. I am a paralegal with 15 years experience in Felony Courts. contact me for further assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JayWorkHard in Chicago, Illinois

23 days ago

Moto69 in Long Beach, California said: Finding work with a record is not as hard as you think (that's the good news) I have been dealing with this issue for ten years and I have found that the more unpleasant/dirty/dangerous a job is the more likely that employers either don't inquire or care about criminal history (that's the bad news). I was in sales/ finance before I took my state vacation and I knew damn well nobody would hire me in my former field with my convictions regardless of any past relationship we may have had. I found work in the oilfields quite quickly, as it qualifies for the previously mentioned unpleasantness. I even had company, I found that half my coworkers where either on parole or probation. I don't think there are any oilfields in Illinois but i'm sure there is construction witch is another popular place to land if you can't pass a background check. Bottom line is you have to be willing to swallow your pride and put your ass on the line for a paycheck.

What company(s) can you recommend and where are the patches you spoke of??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tlblv in Huntsville, Alabama

21 days ago

You know ... I actually might have a solution for some of you in the following cities: Chicago, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Scottsdale, Tucson and Salt Lake City. I have something you should look. It's my future and it might work for some of you too.

I am a felon since 1994. I was lucky up until about two years ago. When I got out of camp fluffy in 1998 I was able to go to work for a friend of mine who owned a small computer network support company. All was well .. until...a couple years ago when the housing market crashed and the business closed.

Until that time I didn't have to deal with the judgement and prejudice my past brings with it... I honestly, naively didn't expect it to be as bad as it is...

I agree that the only way we'll really be able to create a financially stable life for ourselves is by creating our own business and working for ourselves.

I've done that. I've become a Real Estate Investor. I've been able to do this because I ran across a group of investors that are willing to educate, mentor, train and make resources available to me that I normally wouldn't have and they are looking to expand their group.

I'd be happy to share it with you but I'm not comfortable posting it in this forum.

If you'll email me with your name, phone number and best time to call I'd be happy to show it to you: chicagogroup3@gmail.com . Who knows it might work for some of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

raza14u in Morton Grove, Illinois

9 days ago

raza14u said: I am with a not for profit, we assist folks crossing over from incarceration to the real world. I know that the IDES in Illinois, I am familiar with Rockford Illinois. They have an individual that assist people as to the process for expunge felony records there are 2 types of expungements. I am a paralegal with 15 years experience in Felony Courts. contact me for further assistance.

I have obtained more information regarding what cases are able to be expunged or sealed and the waiting periods for when you can file.
I have also obtained listing on how to star your own business as a felon for the state of WI..If you need further assistance feel free to contact me and i may be able to assist you. raza14u at msn.com

MattWorkHard in Tucson, Arizona

4 days ago

I've read your stories and comments here. We've all had a tough life. I wish could say things will get easier, but that is not likely. Hopefully my story might help some...

I've been a felon since 1997. And I must register as a sex offender. Try the mainstream job market with that over your head.
Well, I made the decision while I was in, to find out what was wrong with me and make sure it never happened again. And that is what I did.
Lucky for me back then, employers usually didn't do BC's. I got on with a company that made financial software. After a few years, when I left, I was experienced enough to work in any accounting office.

My life, at times, can be a living hell. Did you know Apartment complexes do BC's? I found that out after my second apartment and they asked me to leave after about 8 months. This happened a few times, about once a year until I rented a place from my friends father.

Of the jobs I've had, I've only lost one because of my background. And of the two owners, one wanted to keep me. Here are some pointers..
I never tell a company before hand. I only choose relatively small companies. As I have no interest in healthcare or a school, I suppose that helps some. If I know they do BC's, I don't bother with them.

You work hard. really hard. You have to be the best and most knowledgeable. When I walk into an interview, there is really no doubt that I am the best qualified. And that shows.. Once you have the job, your integrity and work ethic is everything. Just because I have a past, I do not and will not let it define me.
My current employer knows of my past. They don't care.

Another tip: Find other sources of income. This provides security and builds a cushion just in case you lose that job. I re-sell things. I find them at yard sales and estate sales and resell them online.

So,go out there and get that job. Think hard about the talents you have and use them. Work hard. Don't let your past define you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.