Have you ever driven a Taxi Cab in Chicago or anywhere in Illinois ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Joe in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

All I hear is you make no money driving a Taxi , is that true ?

What hours and days would I need to work to bring home $300.00 a week ? How many hours and days to bring home $500.00 a week ?

What was your average take home pay ? How many hours a day did you work ? How many days a week did you work ?

In Chicago you need to take a 2 week class for 5 hours a day for $260.00 then pay for a Medical Exam , Fingerprints , License ect....

Is that the same with Suburban Companies ?

If not does that mean you cannot drive in the Chicago city limits ?

Would you make more money in the city as compared to the suburbs ?

I have enough money (about $400.00 savings) for the classes in Chicago , would it be worth it ? There are no jobs in my area this is the only job I can think of.

What are the steps to being a cab driver ?

Is it like ......
1)Go to school for 2 weeks
2)Get fingerprinted
3)Get Medical exam
4)Get hard card
5)Go to taxi company and start driving

Am I missing anything else ?

I would pay for Gas and the Lease.Does the cab company take any of the cab fair ?

How is the cab company making money ? Just from the Lease ?

Is there a percentage taken out on credit card payments ?

Can you just drive wherever you want ?

Or are you assigned a "route" or area to work in ?

I see alot of parked cabs on the sidestreets in my area overnight , so they have to be making enough to stay in the apartments around here , which average $600.00 a month and up.

Are most cab drivers saying they make no money so people will not want to work there ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

Thanks for the reply and information FL , I appreciate it.

What do you do in classes from 9:00 am till 4:30 pm ? They have all types of tests ? That seems like a long time.

The "lease $350.00 a week for one shift" what does a company consider a shift ? 8 hours ? Or when you "clock in and out" ?

And you can take the Cab home with you if you are leasing it , right ? Is it more money to take it home ?

Do all the cabs come with them protective shields ? Are they extra money ?

With that class I could drive a Limo or be a Chauffuer too ?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

FL. in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey Joe, I just got the licence today. You can make at least 500$/week if you work the full shift (5-6am to 5pm), 6 days/week. In chicago you need to take 2 week class (10 days Mo-Fr and Mo-Fr) from 9am to 4.30pm and 2 saturdays (buss tours). It's 270$. If you don't have your drivers license from more than 3 years or if you have any supervision on your MVR you have to take another class (8 hou theory + 2 hours behind the weel. This class is 210$. Most of the people who lived here in IL more than 3 yers don't have to take that class.
Fingerprints at Accurate Biometrics 40 or 60$. I don't remember exactly. Medical exam and drog test: 60$. When taking the test at Consummer Services (Ogden & Western) 16$. Get the hard card: 1$ :) Lease: ~350$/week for one shift (not ful time).
you pay for gas and lease. All the money is yours. you don't pay anything else to cab company as you allready paid the lease. From credit card payments it takes abou 5% but most of the time the costumers pay cash.
You can drive wherever you want. You can pick up customer though within the City of Chicago and airports (O'Hare and Midway). You are not assigned on a certain route. you can pick up from the streets, airports, taxi stands, etc. but you can receive a call from dispatch too if you are "fot hire".

"Are most cab drivers saying they make no money so people will not want to work there ?". Yes, I think so. They told me the same thing, but good friens of mine who work as cab drivers fro many years (they have no reason to lie to me) told me that if you have experience, you can make 700$/week or even more if you are really hard working.

Thanks, that was helpful as, I too, am thinking about driving a hack. Do you think it's possible to make a living just driving at night? Also, if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me where in Chicago you went for the classes? Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gleike Taxi in Dyer, Indiana

55 months ago

Also a Great meter and wireless Credit Card system at www.atagleike.com the company is Gleike Taximeter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fr22 in Dyer, Indiana

55 months ago

Gleike Taxi in Dyer, Indiana said: Also a Great meter and wireless Credit Card system at www.atagleike.com the company is Gleike Taximeter

I'v heard the make money.their help comes with the tips the received when the driver process the credit card.s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

neal in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

I recently started driving in the suburbs. You definitely can make money but expect long strange hours. Since I live near ohare what has worked for me is to start in the evening when they will let you go straight to the airport and work overnight until the end of the morning rush. If you do it right you can get 2-3 returns from the airport in the evening and 3-4 airport runs in the morning, plus a couple locals in between. I drive in the oak brook area so each airport run is $30 or so plus tip. Get a van and you can make more and burn less gas. In the 12 hours I can usually pull in $200-$350. Been at it a month so not super experienced even and can make $400-500 profit a week, more if I wanted to work more. In most of the burbs you don't need a special license but many require one for the car. This is paid for by the car owner. A few will require a background check on the driver and even fewer require a drug test or physical. A good number of them don't even bother to enforce their own rules but some are sticklers about it. The most expensive license I have seen so far is $140, most are in range of $50 and they want to be listed on your insurance. Hope this helps someone but remember things will vary greatly from town to town so your mileage will vary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

johnn in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

you can drive everywhere in chicago but how much safer tobe a cab driver???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AL in Arad, Romania

40 months ago

Hy there...i would like to take the Taxi licence in july this year.The problem is that i can.t find what i should learn or the questions that are usualy asked....or something that could help me learn becouse i don.t know nothing about Chicago...never been there(i live in another country)....I know the steps that i have to take to get there but i would like to learn the city from a map or something so it would be easyer than...Please help me if you can!Thanks and sorry if my grammer is not perfect :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

G in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

I drove a taxi for a bit... and I made too little for the time that I put behind the wheel... Taxi is a tricky bussiness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Lake Villa, Illinois

34 months ago

I am thinking about driving a taxi for employment. I am concerned that my poor credit history would affect my ability to obtain a lease for the taxi. I am in the suburbs and would be leasing weekly. How much to does the fleet leasing company care about your credit history?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sait in Burbank, Illinois

30 months ago

i like this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Talgat in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

hey guys i wanna know after how long i can go again for the taxi course i faild city exam . i heard after two month i can start over is that true ??? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steven Ralph in Readings, United Kingdom

27 months ago

Well, professional drivers do earn decent money amount of money that are associated with cab service firms. Professional taxi service firms are growing rapidly. Burghfield car rental is one of the emerging companies who are also providing online booking and reservation services. They also offer mobile services to their valuable clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yop in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Good to hear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lisam7 in Des Plaines, Illinois

16 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sarwath rasheed in Downers Grove, Illinois

13 months ago

DO I NEED TO TAKE A CLASS TO DRIVE IN SUBURBS BECAUSE I LIVE IN SUBURB.PLS.LET ME KNOW.HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO PAY TO THE LEASE TO THE CAB COMPANY.DO I NEED TO TAKE A CAB LICENCE TO DRIVE IN SUBURBA.ALSO PLS.LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY I CAN MAKE IF DRIVE 16HOURS A DAY.PLS.LET ME KNOW MY WEEKLY INCOME AND MONTHLY INCOME AFTER PAYING LEASE AND GAS EXPENSES.PLS.REPLY ME AT rashsarwath@yahoo.com.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.