age issues

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

oldtown in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

am i the only older job seeker that is seeing obvious age discrimination. its really depressing.

there are perfect jobs that i apply for and cant even get an interview much less the job. these are perfect matches and in normal times i would have a job by now.

a coach that i used said that employers are afraid that we will take a lower paying job and exit as soon as the ecomony improves and better jobs becomre available.

btw what are the older out of work peeps doing these days? just watchin tv?

i joined a health club and expected to see it loaded with the unemployed. boy was i wrong. was hoping to start networking at the club and start building relationships with others but that turned out to be a bummer.

i guess my point is, are other older people see the same age discrmination that i see? i cant even get interviews with exact match jobs-those that under nomal circumstances i would be a shoe in. we live in frustrating times, and so just have to learn to live with it.

i am keeping busy full time working on my own, but if anyone is interested in sales and marketing types, let me know!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Older Job Seeker in Kinston, North Carolina

62 months ago

oldtown in Chicago, Illinois said: am i the only older job seeker that is seeing obvious age discrimination. its really depressing.

there are perfect jobs that i apply for and cant even get an interview much less the job. these are perfect matches and in normal times i would have a job by now.

a coach that i used said that employers are afraid that we will take a lower paying job and exit as soon as the ecomony improves and better jobs becomre available.

btw what are the older out of work peeps doing these days? just watchin tv?

i joined a health club and expected to see it loaded with the unemployed. boy was i wrong. was hoping to start networking at the club and start building relationships with others but that turned out to be a bummer.

i guess my point is, are other older people see the same age discrmination that i see? i cant even get interviews with exact match jobs-those that under nomal circumstances i would be a shoe in. we live in frustrating times, and so just have to learn to live with it.

i am keeping busy full time working on my own, but if anyone is interested in sales and marketing types, let me know!!

I am also having the same problem finding a job. I have over thirty years of experience. I have sent out many resumes and have only been interview three times. Needless to say I didn't get the job. I have been told that employers will hire the younger women for less pay. Also, I have been told I was the one they were looking for but can not afford me. The saying "you get what you paid for" is so true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maurizia in Des Plaines, Illinois

61 months ago

I too am a 50+ year old looking for work, have been for last year. I have been on several interviews, which have gone well, but no one ever calls back. I think the problem is that there are so many people out of work that the employers have hundreds of people to choose from. Too much competition out there right now. I can't even get a part time job in retail that's how bad it is. But I am not giving up I am still sending my resume out and keep in contact with previous co-works and other work related professionals that I can talk to and get leads from. I don't think I'll ever get a great paying job like I previously had, but I know something will come up evenually. So we all need to keep looking and searching and not give up and hope and pray that the job market will get better!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in CT

61 months ago

I am in my 40's and suspect discrimination. I get interviews and always end up as the, "runner up", or I just don't get the job. The employer's do not do the appropriate follow up in some cases.

It's very dissapointing. Today I applied for assistance since my mortgage is more then my unemployment check.

I am just shocked. I have been on about 15 interviews, and dozens of phone interviews, and it's been 6 month's and nothing. I did have a temp job that was an hour away but it didn't last.

They employers have come up with all sorts of devices such as skill tests and even homework assignments. It's just terrible.

I keep trying and I don't give up.

We all have to stay positive and keep going.

Best wishes to you and all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laid off Conn

61 months ago

Thanks for your perspective. It's hard out there, no matter what part of the country. I am in the North East. Since most of the jobs are finance related, things are bad, but I still see jobs out there. I have been getting interviews, but just way too much competition.

I would think that our former bosses will one day be in our position. Right now I am facing potential home loss, although I am holding it together for the moment, the funds are running low. I have to meet with lots of community agencies to help me since my unemployment is less then my mortgage. When that runs out, who knows what is next. Probably a cash in on my retirement.

Meanwhile, I was part of a mass lay off. I am pretty sure that my job was cut for political reasons, by a boss that did not favor me enough to stick up for me. I was one of the lowest paid in the department. There was staff that plays computer games for 1/2 the day and does personal stuff. Yet, they made 3X my salary and still have a job.

I can only hope that I have learned a big lesson about my loyalty to a company that employmed me for 15 years of my career. I had great experiences there, but then I came upon a younger insecure boss. I put in long hours, and rarely was appreciated. That was fine, but now I am going forward. Hoping to find someting new, if I can even get a job and go forward.

I had a couple of good interviews, and I am hoping something comes through soon. The hard part is each employer nows does multiple rounds, with lots of people, then you are subjected to all sorts of testing. If your not perfect, you're cut.

So, I have to brush up the skill set and keep trying. It's scary, but I must go on. Too much at stake that I worked hard for, a home and a life I am not prepared to give up. Plus, I have no place to go if I do lose my home.

I don't see a recovery in this mess for a long time. 3 to 5 years?

Still I don't give up.

Stay strong to everyone who is reading this!

Laid off in Conn

61 months ago

Thanks that is a great idea for all of us.

I do have an interview on Friday, and I am hoping at some point one of these jobs actually amounts to an offer.

I will check out that site. I have thought of different ways to make money from home. But, unemployment seems to be a higher rate. Still I would prefer to work rather then not. But, finding a job is a full time job. I search 7 days a week. This week there has not been much. But, I keep trying.

It's just frustrating how the employers are over scrutinizing most candidates and subjecting them to: Cattle call interviews, multiple visits with 10 or more people, 2nd and round interviews, testing without notification, heavy duty background checks, for basic roles even.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JoanneK in Round Lake, Illinois

61 months ago

I have been a nurse(LPN) for over 30 yrs. you would think experience would mean something. I even became certified in wound care last year to give myself an edge. I was fired because a supervisor came in at night with alcohol on her breath telling me what she wanted charted on a resident. What she wanted me to chart was a lie to cover the facility. She told me to get out when I told her I smelled alcohol on her breath. I stayed the shift, did not abandon the job or the residents.I was later told I was insubordinate. It's been a month and still no offers from all the interviews, application filled out and resumes fax'd. Some places pay more with experience so it's cheaper to hire a new grad. Others have made comments about the year I graduated. I thought there was a nursing shortage.

Laid off in Conn

61 months ago

Hi Chicago- Just wanted to know if when you left your last job, did they agree to a "non-dispargement" agreement? This would protect you from them giving you a bad reference.

I was thinking of getting a background check on myself to see what my former employer is saying. I had some agents call and they said I had good references. That was from a list I provided them interviewer.

I worked for a fortune 500 company and by law they can only verify dates of employmetn and that is it. But, I've heard of situations where they get the boss on the phone and they find ways to beat around the bush on that and if asked the questions, "would you rehire", they give a negative response.

In this part of the country nurses and medical staff are in high demand regardless of age. Especially with your experience.

Best of luck to you.

JoanneK in Lake Villa, Illinois

61 months ago

To be honest I've never heard of a non-dispargement agreement.It may be they are saying more than they should. That woman was preety upset I called her out on the alcohol breath. Maybe I'll have a friend call and ask for a reference and find out what's being said. Thanks for the info. Good Luck to you too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in Conn

61 months ago

You are welcome. Also, you may want to see if they company has a policy of how they give out the past employee's info. If it's through a computer line, or website, as with my former employer. It is common for the larger organizations to have a website or 800 number for inquiries.

Also, when any of your current prospective employers do a background check, you have to authorize it, and they have to give you a copy by law. Or, you can call the company and ask for a copy.

Usually, they check credit, for bankrouptcies, dates of employment, college records, and other schools. But, you have to sign to allow them to do so.

That's awful about your prior employer, and I have heard similar stories of the nursing industry. Most of the nurses I know want to get out.

Best of luck to you!

dr bill in Midlothian, Illinois

58 months ago

I have been out of work for 21 months with no prospects in the proverbial job funnel. I will be an enumerator for the US census. A real resume builder. I could get really depressed but I know that each day moves me closer to anew job somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Michigan City, Indiana

57 months ago

dr bill in Midlothian, Illinois said: I have been out of work for 21 months with no prospects in the proverbial job funnel. I will be an enumerator for the US census. A real resume builder. I could get really depressed but I know that each day moves me closer to anew job somewhere.

You are not alone by any means. I am at the age where I will gladly work on a contract basis and do things without supervision. Having been a manager, I am amazed when I get involved with younger employees at there general disrespect for the job, the employer, or fellow workers. It has been an eye opener and makes me wonder where the country is headed.

pikaza in Oakland, California

57 months ago

yes, Dr. Bill and Al, you are now alone, good luck everyone!

Al in Michigan City, Indiana

57 months ago

Not as alone as those in California that are begging for the rest of the country to bail them out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pikaza in Oakland, California

57 months ago

however, is Census taker a real resume builder even if they only worked very few hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

amanethes in Woodstock, Georgia

54 months ago

The funny thing is-

It takes us up to 25 to finish college and start our career, at 40 we are put out to pasture. That gives us 15 good years to work and advance.

At 45, I am feeling the same discrimination. At my last place of employment, most employees were between their late 20's up to mid 30's. I was the oldest. This is in the environmental sciences field.

Larry in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Now a days it feels like employers don't have faith in recent college grads to hire.They hide behind the word experience. so imagine, every company looking for experience, how in the hell will i gain any? no one takes a risk on a person who shows the ability to learn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Evans in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

Thanks for the post.
For anyone looking for jobs or who are interested in future job search, there are hundreds of Chicago job openings on this job board that is entirely dedicated to help people in Chicago find jobs.
Here is a bitly link to the page! Hope this helps..
on.fb.me/rrX26a

Hope this helps!

John

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.