Why is so hard to get a good job in Cleveland, Ohio

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 109)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Patrick in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

I feel you. The job market is so poor that hiring managers are being awfully picky about candidates. I've had a 3 interviews in the past couple months for jobs that I was EASILY qualified for but did not get the job. Each and every time it was because they believed my skills were strong but more suited for such and such areas.

BTW I'm only two years out of college and it's really frustrating because even the entry level positions are hard to get into.

I'd recommend checking out his networking group:
finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CVJS/

The next meeting is on Monday.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

83 months ago

Hey you're not alone. My field is also the same way (Electrical Engineer). I've been out of a job for six years (and counting).

I've been out of college since 1994, and jobs were just as scarce then as it has been the last six years.

Maybe do like me; change careers. The bad thing is that it will be less pay. But it is better than nothing.

Do people in your business/marketing jobs employ many temporary/visa type workers? I see that way too much in engineering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Cleveland, Ohio

81 months ago

I agree with the comments above employers are being very picky not understanding the need to scratch a little deeper than just whats on the credentials. I have a MA, LSW with 15 years in non-profit in all types of populations and have applied for several positions in goverment, city and county however, never chosen. Some jobs included managing some of the very contracts they mentioned in the interviewing process however, never receiving a call back regarding the position. I find that suspect at best think of the odds of someone managing the very contracts you mention in the interviewing process however, not being considered for the position. Additionally, after my last interview I believe some of these positions at the county, government etc. the applicant has already been chosen from inside and employers are just going through the motions realizing because of regulations they must advertise the positions however, no intention of hiring outside the network. Now, going through this process of applying for positions understand why governmental entities appear to be stagnated in most areas because its the same old ideas and persons who have been at organzations for at least 20 yrs and just holding on to receive their PERS retirement. That probaly is not a problem however, someone needs to be checking and making sure those county and governmental leaders re-up there committment to innovative and reaasessing the agenices goals to the community versus PERS!. unknown

James M. in Twinsburg, Ohio

79 months ago

I have lived in Northeast Ohio for 99%of my life. I am 34. I am a auto technician. I had a really good job at a dealership for over five years. Prior to that I spent over five years in professional racing. I left the dealership and tried what I thought was going to be a "better situation." Things were short lived. Oh well, life goes on. My old employer could not hire me back because they filled my position. Looking for a good paying mechanic job to support your family in late January is tough. Slowest time of the year. No one is hiring. Over the last couple of years I have thought about moving to a different state. I have read all to often the negative statistics of northeast Ohio. I like it here. It's home, but I have gotten really tired of the blah! N.E. Ohio is so bad on jobs. Many companies low ball pay and salaries because they know people need good work. The same job in Colubus would pay more! I've seen it. I look on the net all the time. I can go to lets say, Tennesee, The Carolina's or Florida, and recieve all kinds of perks plus moving expenses paid, and have dealerships compete over me. But up here I can't even get a job until spring. N0 work! It has nothing to do with qualifications. Once I got out of the "loop" I had to wait until spring. I am still waiting. So, ask yourself, "where can I live within a couple hours of the mountains, a couple hours from the lake or ocean and have employers compete over me?" Why should'nt I move? -Family &friends that's why.
If I did, I would have to stay within a days drive to visit. A lot of people are leaving N.E. Ohio for a better life.

Jake_EE in Lorain, Ohio

79 months ago

I jobhunt on indeed.com for the whole country to find electrical engineering jobs. All these advertisers (companies and employment agencies) seem to want all kinds of experience. In many cases, they want very specific experience to their company. Most people do not have that specific experience as they have never worked at a company that caters to their products.

I wonder how all these new engineering college graduates find engineering jobs so fast? I get through to engineering managers and the so-called
"person that does the interviewing and hiring."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Lorain, Ohio

79 months ago

How come I see very little Americans on this faculty page? Why not hire some qualified Americans?

www.eecs.case.edu/dw/doku.php?id=eecs:people:faculty&section=faculty_and_staff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave C in Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio

78 months ago

Why no good jobs in Cleveland? Cleveland was a rust belt city with factories to support it's financial base. The high paying manufacturing jobs have went overseas. Like it or not. The ripple effect stopped the service industry. No services are needed for a customer who can't pay. The real estate mess is the same. No jobs, no pay, foreclosure. Our idiot elected officials will not admit this.
People today are willing to work for tyrants at a lower wage to keep themselves employed. Companies see this and and use it to thier advantage. Length of service is no longer an asset, it's a liability. The loyalty is gone. So even the best places to work are gone also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Indian Trail, North Carolina

78 months ago

Jake_EE in Lorain, Ohio said: How come I see very little Americans on this faculty page? Why not hire some qualified Americans?

www.eecs.case.edu/dw/doku.php?id=eecs:people:faculty&section=faculty_and_staff

I came across your comment and felt the need to answer your question with my own. How do you know these people aren't "American", I think you might have been referring to US Citizens?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Beth,
readdress it to the one who wrote it. Jake_EE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

This was posted by www.youtube.com/user/programmersguild on June 16, 2007.

Immigration attorneys from Cohen & Grigsby explains how they assist employers in running classified ads with the goal of NOT finding any qualified applicants, and the steps they go through to disqualify even the most qualified Americans in order to secure green cards for H-1b workers. See what Bush and Congress really mean by a "shortage of skilled U.S. workers." Microsoft, Oracle, Hewlett-Packard, and thousands of other companies are running fake ads in Sunday newspapers across the country each week.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

I wish I could take a hidden camera in the Employment Connection(a welfare agency) and film the free workshops they have for employers. Here is a link to their Employer Service Brochure:

www.city.cleveland.oh.us/government/departments/econdev/wfdev/City%20of%20Cleve%204%20pager.pdf

I'm sure they are happy to inform the employers about the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) Program.

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit Program is a federal tax credit which provides Ohio employers with a tax credit against their federal tax liability for hiring individuals from nine target groups of disadvantaged job seekers. Tax credits range from $1,200 to $2,400 for all WOTC target groups. Employers may receive a maximum credit of up to $9,000 per eligible employee for the Long Term IV-A target group.

jfs.ohio.gov/wotc/

Sick. Isn't it? I don't think anybody can get any help from the social workers until the person has been out of work so long almost anybody would be in foreclosure. Disgusting.

I get the creepy feeling the employers are waiting for the U.S. citizen job seeker to be a "Long-Term IV-A Assistance Recipient" so they can get the $9,000 tax credit. I am concerned that the family needs to on TANF at least 18 months. 18 months is a long time for a family to be on TANF.

jfs.ohio.gov/wotc/TargetGroups.stm

I am also concerned that nobody seems to be checking these tax credits for abuse. What happens when the employer gets the credit? Based on what I have read the employer only has to keep the person long enough to get the tax credit. Then nobody seems to care what happens next. I notice a lot of people seem to change jobs every 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in New Cumberland, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

Well, I had 2 jobs in 20 years. Born and raised in NE Ohio, taught to be dedicated and all that. 18 months of unemployment led me through a myriad of interviews, all with the same "overqualified" results. I actually got hired at 3 companies, only to have them fall through at the last minute. One company that is quite large even ran my background, drug test etc. Called me the Friday before I was to start to say they were retracting their offer. No reason.

I agree with the poster who stated that longevity is now considered a liability. I know many who have been terminated, then positions opened up with similar sounding names only to be filled by younger new hires at entry level salaries.

Good luck to all of you, and me. We need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anita In South Euclid Ohio

71 months ago

I am in serious need for a job. I have been unemployed almost a year and had no offers. I have even tried entry level jobs. My husband is seriously ill and unable to work. He has several weeks of disability left. At that point we will have no income and will have to pay over $900 a month in hospitalization insurance. Please I will consider anything. I will take part time. I have many years of experience, in clerical work and type at least 60 wpm. Please give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

The Bear in Northfield, Ohio

71 months ago

I've been out of work since May-2008 now and I've submitted nearly 300 applications and resumes and actually interviewed about 8 times only to have someone else chosen.

I've been in sales since 1982 and in the past 5 years held 4 different sales jobs.

One of the companies reorganized and released 40% of it's sales force amongst which I, who hit my annual goal after only being with the company 6 months, was one of 100 newer hired salespeople released.

Then I went to work for a family owned title company, what a mistake I made there. I had to get out before the daughter of the owner took out a contract on my life. This is a very difficult industry to work in, no doubt.

I then worked for a medical equipment restorer only to have them not pay bills and go out of business within 2 years of my employment, sales increases for 28% and 32% there.

I started an insurance licensing program for a private college, made my first year goal while marketing it, selling it, being compliance officer, starting up securities and continuing education training, hiring instructors, scheduling and much much more. After I did all that they let me go in favor of a long legged blond of about 30 years of age, honest. I understand she's gone now too.

So if you have that going for you with a college degree and are good looking, be sure to apply for a pharmeceutical job since they only hire models types, male and female.

For us homely 40+ with families it's time to do I just don't know what. Unemployment runs out the day after Thanksgiving. I haven't given up, I have two kids in high school (college to look forward to) a house payment, and all of that. I haven't given up, I haven't given up, I haven't given up! If I keep saying it it will be true, right! Change for the better and all that.

Good Luck and God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yo Hwan in Salmiya, Kuwait

71 months ago

Hi im a high student and i have a question...do we really need to go to a good college to get a good job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Yo Hwan in Salmiya, Kuwait said: Hi im a high student and i have a question...do we really need to go to a good college to get a good job?

Yes The world is changing. A good school is a start. Think of it as a stepping stone in you life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

legalgirl in Fort Washington, Maryland

70 months ago

I was born and raised in N.E. Ohio. I moved in 2001 because I got married to someone in the military. Since then he moved back to OH after retirement and could not find a job in his field so now he is doing customer service not even making half of what he use to make. I decided to stay in MD. I have two jobs both paying good in the legal profession. I notice alot of people from N.E. OH have moved here. The job market is much better. You have Maryland, Virgina, and DC where you can work. I live in MD and work in VA, just a 25 min commute. I go back home to visit frequently, it's only a 5 1/2 hour drive. Once I left OH I never went back..even after my husband and I seperated( he was the bread winner). I strongly encourage you to look into the job market in these areas and see what it gets you. I believe you will find something. and you still will be close to home. (Just a suggestion)

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

hi i live in cleveland for 2 years now and so far i did have a good job working for jacob's field doing tech surrport .

in the end i have found out that i got lad off because they have found someone better than me.
i've been looking for a job in my career, or in my hobbies as a gamer.
but no such luck i have someone that i know that works 2 jobs and in the end i just think that they got lucky.....
i hate not working and i've been looking for a job for a year now, i've been doing temps but mostly all of them are shady and don't want you to work......at times i think is it me because i have my a+ cert in computers and my high school and ged.....and still not another job.....but i'm still looking i guess its just drepressing when you have no one that understands what you have to go thru with shady people with in the job world and i have an interview at apple b's this thursday....and i fell that the same thing will happen...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Guy in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio said: hi i live in cleveland for 2 years now and so far i did have a good job working for jacob's field doing tech surrport .

in the end i have found out that i got lad off because they have found someone better than me.
i've been looking for a job in my career, or in my hobbies as a gamer.
but no such luck i have someone that i know that works 2 jobs and in the end i just think that they got lucky.....
i hate not working and i've been looking for a job for a year now, i've been doing temps but mostly all of them are shady and don't want you to work......at times i think is it me because i have my a+ cert in computers and my high school and ged.....and still not another job.....but i'm still looking i guess its just drepressing when you have no one that understands what you have to go thru with shady people with in the job world and i have an interview at apple b's this thursday....and i fell that the same thing will happen...

I hope your communication skills are better at your job and in an interview than they are on this board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

wow... so mad that you you have to pick on something that is serious

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio said: wow... so mad that you you have to pick on something that is serious

???? I am being honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Smithmil45

70 months ago

Allison Shumilinski in Chagrin Falls, Ohio said: I've gone on several interviews as Product Marketing Manager.. One of the companies is a wireless company w/national accts... My interview was with 5 people including CFO...
Response I received back from recruiter is that I'm to sales oriented...

I feel your pain! I have been looking for a job since July!
They put you through all the hoops, get your hopes up (I.E.BTW these are our benefits)and then just disappear. I have experience, maturity, a clean background and drug check. I really have never seen anything like this. I think I'm just going to go back to school and try again later. I starting to think that the folks that don't have any education are getting the jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ohio in Geneva, Ohio

68 months ago

I was just laid off today
The fortune 500 company I was working for
outsources the work to India -
This is what is wrong with America
They even let them work overtime-while they lay
off American workers-
Keep the jobs in the USA, but corporations are greedy
and do not care about US citizens
I will be fine-
I hope the US Government nails all companies who
sellout the US Worker by having foreign countries
produce our products then say they are produced in the USA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Bryant in Hudson, Ohio

68 months ago

The European Union has warned this administration that if we adopt a "Buy USA" mode of operation with the so called "Stimulus Package" there either could be or would be repercussions...UNBELIEVABLE! Do we heed the advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Buy American! Buy American! All the countries manufacture goods to sell in the USA have different laws to protect themselves why can't we? Try selling an American car in Japan or Germany with the taffifs. Have you ever seen a computer made it the US? If the European Union wants to cut off it's nose to spite it's face, let them.
Please stop fighting amongst ourselves. If you read above everyone who contributed to this column is frustrated. It's time to look at your neighbor,an american and offer some support. To the person in Geneva I was in your shoes 2 years ago, Yes they now make our car pulleys in India. 21 years their. Hang in there. I'll say a prayer for ya. It's a start.
Remember the Asian car manufacturer's tagline "you asked for it you got it .....a? Well we sure did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

danny in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

Mike Bryant in Hudson, Ohio said: The European Union has warned this administration that if we adopt a "Buy USA" mode of operation with the so called "Stimulus Package" there either could be or would be repercussions...UNBELIEVABLE! Do we heed the advice?

I don't think the Buy American restrictions will go anywhere. I wish we could do something like this but it's impossible since we can't easily say where something is created (e.g., pair of jeans). I do think that there's nothing wrong with encouraging businesses to hire locally a la tax breaks.

The EU has its own problems and the anti-protectionism threats are commonplace. A bigger problem for the US, I think, are things such as the valuation of the Chinese dollar (yuan). A real value would mean more American exports (jobs) and less Chinese imports.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

danny in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

ohio in Geneva, Ohio said: I was just laid off today
The fortune 500 company I was working for
outsources the work to India -
This is what is wrong with America
They even let them work overtime-while they lay
off American workers-
Keep the jobs in the USA, but corporations are greedy
and do not care about US citizens
I will be fine-
I hope the US Government nails all companies who
sellout the US Worker by having foreign countries
produce our products then say they are produced in the USA

I don't think it's a problem "with America" as much as a "problem" with a global economy. In the old days, companies here couldn't outsource workers due to things such as unskilled foreign workers, language difficulties, technology/manufacturing facilities that were subpar (or simply not transportable) and unstable political climates, thus jobs remained here in the states. That didn't mean that there was some sort of social contract between American companies and their American workers; no, they would've outsourced their jobs decades ago if they could have. A global economy means that companies have to find the lowest possible cost per widget, so to speak. And the lowest prices (labor, material, semi-finished good) happen to be overseas.

Even white collar jobs, such as information technology, are now a commodity that can be found in any number of countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

danny in Cleveland, Ohio said: I don't think it's a problem "with America" as much as a "problem" with a global economy. In the old days, companies here couldn't outsource workers due to things such as unskilled foreign workers, language difficulties, technology/manufacturing facilities that were subpar (or simply not transportable) and unstable political climates, thus jobs remained here in the states. That didn't mean that there was some sort of social contract between American companies and their American workers; no, they would've outsourced their jobs decades ago if they could have. A global economy means that companies have to find the lowest possible cost per widget, so to speak. And the lowest prices (labor, material, semi-finished good) happen to be overseas.

Even white collar jobs, such as information technology, are now a commodity that can be found in any number of countries.

I understand that more than most. Look at the bigger picture. The foreign companies that make widgets obviously need a market. With the customer base dropping making a widget cheaper is a moot point. The US is that market. When we suffer everyone else does. As far as a fair global economy I have yet to see it. Remember the free trade agreements? Our idiot politicians are representing foreign interests more than the American people.
With the decision to accept that crap about A global economy. People should stop being lead down the road by the propaganda spewed by the government and companies that put us in this position. Still buy American! For those who don't agree with me. I hope your unemployment checks cover your car payments on your Jap trap. THINK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

usa in Geneva, Ohio

68 months ago

I don't drive a JAP TRAP!
Maybe you should think before you speak!
I did not appreciate giving my heart and sole to the man
who sold me out to SAVE A BUCK- the work they produce is
not saving them a dime- because the slop they produce causes
the company more money= more time to correct- more lawsuits, etc.

AMERICAN GREED WILL TAKE US OUT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

We need to stop falling into the trap that our greedy leaders and business people have set for us in the resume workshops. They can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the time.

I have been told I have poor social skills. Well, ha, ha. What is the Americans with Disability Act for? Why should I or anybody have to be perfect to keep a job in the U.S? I thought we were suppose to be the place that gives all people a chance.

They never tell me to apply for social security. I find it interesting how I am told over and over again I don't get jobs because I am doing something wrong. If I am that disabled they should refer me to the social security office for disability checks since I have such poor people skills.

I have seen stories in the media about disabled people who get special job training, and with "reasonable accomodations" and are able to keep a job. Then when the disabled people I know ask social workers where they can find this job a disabled person can do, the social worker will act like he or she doesn't know anything.

68 months ago

Geneva
My comments were not directed at you. It was written People should./ "For those who don't agree. "
You've been screwed over just like most people. The Global Economic smoke screen manufactured my governmental and corporate greed will eventually catch up.
It's not just American greed. It's all over the world. I can't forget 4 dollars a gallon for gas.
If it's any consulation my Ex employer farmed out our jobs to India. They lost the contract. This is common. Still by American!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Cleveland in Willoughby, Ohio

67 months ago

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio said: wow... so mad that you you have to pick on something that is serious

Guy, don't worry about him. I've noticed since moving to Cleveland that people in this city and NE Ohio in general are afflicted with major attitude problems and personal insecurities. I am looking to get out of Ohio ASAP. The entire place is in a depression and is a cesspool of degenerates with negative attitudes. Try searching the south for employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thank You for your advice. I've started looking out of state this week. So much for the bailout.

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

I'm sad to say that is true about the attitude problems. At least in the part of Cleveland I'm at. The social services are set up to reward stupid behavior. I will move too when I figure out where to go.

Missy1999 in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

It makes me sick how many people are unemployed. It also bothers me since there are so many people who are not working, that companies who are hiring are getting more and more picky on what they want. They have so many people apply for one position, that they can pretty much pick and choose who they want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Missy1999 in Cleveland, Ohio said: It makes me sick how many people are unemployed. It also bothers me since there are so many people who are not working, that companies who are hiring are getting more and more picky on what they want. They have so many people apply for one position, that they can pretty much pick and choose who they want.

Missy -

what do you expect companies to do? If there are 100 people applying for a job instead of 50, of course they are going to be a bit pickier. Are you not as qualified as some of your peers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lady in Northfield, Ohio

62 months ago

I have been unemployed for 9 months.
Its true, there are so many people applying for the same jobs that it is very difficult to find one, much less a good one.

Most are not paying much, making the job selection even harder.
I was an Administrative Assistant and A/R Manager in a small office for 10 yrs.
I was making $20/hr before, and now I am told I will be lucky to find something for $10-12/hr.

Sharon Keller in Pittsburg, Kansas

61 months ago

James M. in Twinsburg, Ohio said: I have lived in Northeast Ohio for 99%of my life. I am 34. I am a auto technician. I had a really good job at a dealership for over five years. Prior to that I spent over five years in professional racing. I left the dealership and tried what I thought was going to be a "better situation." Things were short lived. Oh well, life goes on. My old employer could not hire me back because they filled my position. Looking for a good paying mechanic job to support your family in late January is tough. Slowest time of the year. No one is hiring. Over the last couple of years I have thought about moving to a different state. I have read all to often the negative statistics of northeast Ohio. I like it here. It's home, but I have gotten really tired of the blah! N.E. Ohio is so bad on jobs. Many companies low ball pay and salaries because they know people need good work. The same job in Colubus would pay more! I've seen it. I look on the net all the time. I can go to lets say, Tennesee, The Carolina's or Florida, and recieve all kinds of perks plus moving expenses paid, and have dealerships compete over me. But up here I can't even get a job until spring. N0 work! It has nothing to do with qualifications. Once I got out of the "loop" I had to wait until spring. I am still waiting. So, ask yourself, "where can I live within a couple hours of the mountains, a couple hours from the lake or ocean and have employers compete over me?" Why should'nt I move? -Family &friends that's why.
If I did, I would have to stay within a days drive to visit. A lot of people are leaving N.E. Ohio for a better life.

In 1993 I found myself in a similar employment circumstance. I decided to move. When I took the job I had no idea where I would be moving as the company required you be willing to relocate. I moved. I was afraid but I have been happier here than I ever was in my "home" town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mitch Ryder in Eastlake, Ohio

61 months ago

No jobs is Cleveland big shock there, Cleveland is a DEAD city. Yet the Powers to be are going to build a $430 million dollar Med Mart and convention center. For what? Nobodu wants to come here, people are leaving in droves. Take the $430 million dollars and build the shipping docks, or something that will creat jobs for everybody, not jubs jobs for people that already have them. Where are all these stimulus jobs at? You see any? Anywhere? I don't i see signed on the freeway about your Stimulus Jobs at work, but the people doing them already had jobs, they just got more work, and didn't hire anybody. They say the house market is bad, the retail market is bad. Well no kidding, who is going to buy a house or a flat screen TV when unemployment is at 10% but others say its closer to 17% NOBODY. So until the fat politicions relize, things like we don't need a MED-MART. WE NEED JOBS, and as long as you got the same people incharge, you get the same results. You know way? Because they HAVE jobs and they don't care about you or I.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Garray Mohve in Cleveland, Ohio

61 months ago

The city is DEAD because we care more about sports than developing new technologies with universities and private companies. Oops forgot about making good decisions. For Example: A an open BROWNS stadium(Tradition) that gets used 10 times instead of a dome that could be used year round for any event. Clevelanders bad decision. Clevelanders have taken, taken, taken, from the city but how many have put back into it? Please do not say you pay taxes..so do I! We have become a bunch of whiners and not doers. Cleveland is a small city with a big city name. Why do we have 4 news stations and all 4 report the same damn news? Why are Cleveland's catholic schools graduating more young men & women than public schools while using less money? Let me get back to jobs. Yes employers are very specific when it comes to hiring new people.
Its supply and demand. I was laid off early 96 and decided to move my knowledge base into the medical arena. I was laid off early 09 but 3 months later got a job in the medical field. Graduates are leaving the city and taking their knowledge with them because employers do not want them to do new things but make old things cost less. Without new ideas there will be no new jobs! The same old same old does not work in a global economy. The medical mart might draw the attention of medical device makers which we do have a couple in the Cleveland area and they are doing OK compared to others companies in regards to growth. STERIS, Cardinal Health, Theken Spine and so on. Last jobs are hard to find everywhere it is not just Cleveland, Ohio. I have friends/relatives in Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando and Nashville with 10+ years experience and with degrees or higher that cant find a job. People today like to complain and it is easy to add another finger pointing to the city of Cleveland even the middle one. If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. EDUCATION paves the way for success in CLEVELAND. Educations=less crime;higher wages;etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

When somebody is in there 50's go back to school is not for them its for people in the 20's and 30's so get off of it, OK? People who have a few years till they can retire aren't going back to school and forcing them to is NOT relistic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Explain to the thousands upon thousands of kids graduating every year from college and they find out there are NO jobs in there field. People getting jobs and after they are hired they find out the job they interviewed for isn't the job they are going to do. Then the company makes it very uncomfortable for them hoping they will quit. So they aren't responsable for their unemployment (that happened to a friend of mine) Now they have NO job and no hospitalization, because they can't get their former job back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

To Guy in Cleveland: what do you expect companies to do? If there are 100 people applying for a job instead of 50, of course they are going to be a bit pickier. Are you not as qualified as some of your peers?

Companies are just finding the most qualified person who will worl for the least amount of money if two people apply and one asks for $35K and the other asks for $25K guest which one get hired? Or the person with 25 yrs of experiance as opposed to the person with the college degree (book smart versus street smart)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

To the Eastlake gentleman: (Statement 1)Depending on that 50 year old persons knowledge computer, management etc..(Community College) may be their only choice. 50 year olds are not forced to do anything. Lets be realistic at 50 most companies do not want a person on the edge of retirement. The 50 year old must think not about getting a job that will allow them to reach retirement but bring in any type of check. Mc Donalds, Walmart, janitorial services. Its TOUGH out there! Find opportunities that draw on your 30+ year career in the work force. Look for those hiring or not hiring and offer your knowledge on a consultant basis if possible. There is not much a person can do if they worked in the same field for a long period of time and that field is tapering off, but it was up to that person to see that happening not just ride the wave till there is none. People generally do have an idea how well their company or field is doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

To the Eastlake gentleman: (Statement 2)I expect companies to do what they have to do survive. That is called making tough decisions. Yes I am qualified as my peers but I also took the time during a good economy to add more to my job skills that would separate me from my peers. I also spent time looking for new growth industries and tried to move my knowledge base in that direction.(Health Care). I use to work in the automotive manufacturing arena. The next industry for growth will be green energy and energy storage.

I have to agree and disagree about the 35K and 25K folks. Businesses that hire the lowest cost person is a company where you do not want to work because they are looking short term and they are not trying to grow their business. It can also be the company is just looking for an entry level person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

To the Eastlake gentleman: (Statement 2) The young men and women that graduate out of college can not find jobs because. 1. Companies will not hire when their losing money. 2. The major the student picked is in a dying field or the field is saturated example:(Communication degree holders). 3. The student graduated with just average grades out of college. 4. Student may not be willing to relocate. 5. Those who were going to retire are staying in the company so there is no need to hire new people. 6. The companies have a wait and see attitude with the economy before hiring. The list can go on and on. In this economy we have to weather the storm so taking a job that pays the bills but does not fit a persons college major is an easy decision to make. Something is better than nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lebron in Akron, Ohio

59 months ago

Yeah its been a really tough time for everyone. I'll be leaving Cleveland in about year also. Probably going to New York.

Adel in Akron, Ohio

58 months ago

Hey now....this area is a tough little part of the world and people need to respect it. It is beautiful and rich with goodness. Companies would be wise to move here...there is an educated population as well as a loyal population. I believe those who leave will wonder around forever.

Jackie in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

53 months ago

Good luck getting past the recruiters at Dell. I was contacted about a position in Texas and could never get the recruiter back on the phone. She called, left a message and I immediately returned her call and all I got was her voice mail. I tried over 10 times to get her on the phone with no success. She finally called me back few days later and notified me that they were no longer looking to fill the position. I think what happened is while she wasn't returning calls another recruiter filled the position. My advice is live by the phone, because if they call you then you better be able to answer immediately or you'll be well on your way to a cat and mouse game with HR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mir in River Grove, Illinois

51 months ago

It's high time the frustration of being jobless is the biggest virus going around
this was the country where industrial revolution started /electronic/Information science/bio science/space exploration all those inventions started here .
Then how come there is no solution for the recession/jobs are we going to be the jobless nation?in spite of having all the resources .
Buckle up ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.