washed up outsourced middle age skilled trades workers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

patrick sheahan in York, South Carolina

75 months ago

I am 48 years of age now and have not been able to find work in my area of expertise in 10 years because of big companies sending everything over seas. I used to be a industrial toolgrinder. And now with the world the way it is I have lost all hope of ever working in my field again, and whats really sad is I was pretty good at it and enjoyed my work. Another topic I could tell alot of people about is the scary shape the healthcare situation is in this country. My wife is a nurse and she has been reduced to having to work as a travel nurse,where she is consistently treated like a second class citizen. what is to become of all the people who thought they had made the right career choice when they were young.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

patrick sheahan in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

it's been two months since I posted the facts, My wife is still traveling ,and I'm working temp jobs doing whatever, I really don't understand wakefield's comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spot on in Fort Mill, South Carolina

73 months ago

So I am afraid your posting is a bit confusing as well. Are you looking for work in York SC, or Columbia, SC, or Chanbersburg PA?

Also I am wondering if you have an updated resume? Are you working with an agency? (maybe someone like Aerotek that specializes in manufacturing)

While I realize you are 48 you still have several years ahead of you before you can collect social security so have you thought about heading back to school? In fact if you happen to be in York, SC area why not learn a new trade at York Tech. located in Rock Hill, SC (make yourself more marketable).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

In reply to Fortmill,SC I have updated my resume 3 times in the last year, and have applied with aerotek and everybody else out there not to mention any manufacturing plant that I could get an e-mail address for and as far as going back to school that takes money I don't have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York

73 months ago

Just because one goes back to school doesn't mean that once you graduate you are guaranteed a job. You could be in the same boat now, without a job, if you decide to go back. And, of course college career placement offices will brag about how they have a high placement rate for students when you check out the college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

patrick sheahan in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania said: In reply to Fortmill,SC I have updated my resume 3 times in the last year, and have applied with aerotek and everybody else out there not to mention any manufacturing plant that I could get an e-mail address for and as far as going back to school that takes money I don't have.

Once again I still am not sure where you are trying to obtain a job? I ask this question for a reason. If in fact you are located in the York County, South Carolina you and I both know that manufacturing has really taken a hit here. The other reason why I asked is that I might have other connections for you in the area, and while you may not have money for school it is possible you're eligible for retraining through the state. But again all this only applies if you are located in SC (which I still am not clear on).

Everyone emails (HR departments will receive 100's of resumes for one job opening through email). I suggest get in touch with the company personally by calling, find out who the contact person is (check out the local chamber of commerce online, many times they will have a contact name), or post your resume on Monster, or any of the other job sites online (many recruiters use this route in search for possible employees for their clients), also check out Manta for company info, or Thomasnet.

Finally what I have put forth to you was only in an effort to try and help you but on the other hand if you were only looking to vent on this site about how life has dealt you a bad hand then by all means carry on.

73 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York said: Just because one goes back to school doesn't mean that once you graduate you are guaranteed a job. You could be in the same boat now, without a job, if you decide to go back. And, of course college career placement offices will brag about how they have a high placement rate for students when you check out the college.

to deansuraci - I never claimed once one goes back to school they will be guaranteed a job (now wouldn't that be great if it was that easy). What I said was that it will make one more marketable.

I myself come from a background in manufacturing, I know this is a dying market in the U.S. So if a person is out of job is it better for one to gain knowledge (possibly in a new trade) while still searching for a job, or is it best just to sit back and mark the days off on my calendar while I wait for someone to notice how great I tell them I am in an email?

73 months ago

Hi, I'm Patrick's wife. I have read all of this and I can tell you that the jobs nowadays go to the young and those lucky enough to have gotten a Bachelors or Masters degree. I am an RN with an Associates degree, certification and 27 years experience. I have tried 4 different times to further my degrees and ran out of money every time. There is definetly something wrong in our country when older still viable workers can't get jobs. It's time for people to wake up and recognize experience and not just degrees. I can't get a job in SC because I'm older don't have the right degree. That's why I'm currently a travel nurse and I hate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hello Patrick's wife - well I now have come to the conclusion that you and Patrick are looking for some place to vent than actually wanting any help.

Yes, the economy stinks right now, yes alot of companies are going under right now, yes a lot of people are loosing their jobs right now. But right now all you two are doing is singing to the choir. I myself am older than your husband and yet I refuse to make my age an issue or use it as an excuse.

Honestly I wish you both the best of luck where ever it is you may live but odds are you won't be changing the country by what you happen to write on this forum.

Good Luck!

73 months ago

From Patrick's wife, My husband first wrote on the blog just to see if there was anyone who felt like him. He was just trying to get some validation of his feelings. But don,t worry you won't here from us again and we will not invade your little perfect world again.

73 months ago

Oh and by the way I'm older then my husband.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.