Educator without a classroom!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Vinnybee in Castle Rock, Colorado

40 months ago

I've lived in the Denver Metro area for 30 years, taught for DPS for over 20. After a tragic event at the school I taught at, and a change in the administration I left DPS for what I thought was a better teaching position in Aurora. Big mistake. I then took another teaching position in the Springs, the commute nearly killed me (literally).

I've been out of work for over two years now, I dearly miss teaching, however, I cannot find a High School English or Social Studies position. I've applied for numerous jobs, including substitute teaching. I've gone back to school and earned 8 credits towards ELS instruction. I also have a paralegal general practice certificate!

During my working career I have been responsible for numerous projects, events, and office management. I am creative, can do type of person. I only wear a wrist watch in order to get to work on time, I leave when the work is finished... sometimes as late as 10 P.M. If someone is also working late, and I am finished, I offer to help! I say this not for the pat on the back, but to indicate that I have an inordinate number of skills, and I am a team player. Nevertheless, with all of my skills and abilities I cannot seem to find a job that will pay me the bare minimum of what I need to support myself.

If anyone out there thinks I am enjoying unemployment benefits, think again, my mother is supporting me, how embarrassing is that?

Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Wow, thank you for showing me the flip side. Yes, I have applied at all the metro districts, I must be on some list. Regardless, I persevere. I have been unsuccessful so far, but I continually write and apply.

I am having a hard time describing what it is I do... in terms of the business world. Basically, if something needs getting done, I see to it. I've arranged conference, years ago 2 conventions, trips, office management, fashion week events in NYC, organized projects, delegated the work, worked with everyone where I could, purchased product and supplies. Jack of all trades. How does one turn that into a profession. "H*** of a worker with excellent disposition, goes non-stop, if doesn't know how to do something... finds out, learns or gets the right person to do the task!

Thank you for answering, it is somewhat lonely, isolated, in the world of unemployment. Millions of us... all by ourselves. Yes, I am using LinkedIn and other like networks.

Ps. I had a boss once who signed his memos "G-d!"

40 months ago

Your idea is an excellent one. I too, know nothing about being a wedding a planner. I'd love to do it, and have been looking for a position in the industry. Not to many openings, but I am tough and keep on going.....
Thank you. It is really nice to have someone to write to and hear from, that isn't family that ends every sentence with, "I told you so... and You should of..."

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.