Why Denver?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Chelsea in George Town, Cayman Islands

66 months ago

So my boyfriend and I are moving to Denver-- more or less Littleton, I just wanted to know what you think the pros and cons of the area are.

Also do you have any recommendations for apartments?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

Go to the paralegal forum. Displaced in Denver lives there, and he can give you some good info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

R. Amy in Middletown, New York

66 months ago

Chelsea in George Town, Cayman Islands said: So my boyfriend and I are moving to Denver-- more or less Littleton, I just wanted to know what you think the pros and cons of the area are.

Thanks!

The housing market has bottomed out. You will probably find a cheap house either for rent or purchase. It is a beautiful area though. If you are looking for a house, let me know, I know a realtor out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

schevaucher@comcast.net in Aurora, Colorado

66 months ago

Chelsea in George Town, Cayman Islands said: So my boyfriend and I are moving to Denver-- more or less Littleton, I just wanted to know what you think the pros and cons of the area are.

Thanks!

The job market here is extremely tight, as you might well already know. Really tight. Rents are good. Lots of them even homes because people can't sell them. Best wishes to you both on your new adventure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

runelady in Denver, Colorado

62 months ago

The people in Denver aren't very polite. I would suggest moving to Fort Collins or Colorado Springs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Carol Powers in Aurora, Colorado

56 months ago

Thanks!

Well, Littleton is nice. You did not say I hope you both have jobs. Colorado is really spread out and so it is hard to know where to go to look for a job. Some like it here if you are an outdoor and sports person you will be probably enjoy it. You did not say where you are coming from. There is a lot of cold and snow here but you probably already know that. I cam here in April from Las Vegas. I don't really care for it or can you tell? Good luck.

Carol Powers in Aurora, Colorado

56 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Go to the paralegal forum. Displaced in Denver lives there, and he can give you some good info.

thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

Thanks!

Let me sum it up, as I have lived here off and on for 25 years. Colorado use to be great with very friendly people, however when people move into a state from everywhere, they bring their attitude with them. I have run into so many idiots and unfriendly people over the last 10 years. The housing here has not bottomed out, as prices have dropped 10% or less. Home prices are still a joke and good luck affording one! Average rent rates for apartments are now at $800 due to the low vacancy rate since the foreclosures. People have to live somewhere!
My background was 11 years of property/facility management for commercial properties and I have not been able to find employment for over 3 years now, and I have been applying for anything. The job market is very bad here and competitive. Think of all the hundreds of thousands of young college grads who elect to stay in Colorado and can not find employment. Nevertheless, I am still trying to find work, but still no luck!
I would think twice about moving here! Traffic has doubled in the last 3 years and continues to get worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Colorado Springs, Colorado

35 months ago

You're not nuts. I grew up in Western Massachusetts and spoke with a woman who was an adjunct professor at UCCS and Colorado College. She did her doctoral (PhD) work 15 minutes away from where I grew up.

She said "In the 1980's and early 1990's Colorado Springs went through a major recession and so the Economic Development Council started recruiting companies here by offering tax breaks. What they got was a bunch of Southern Californian companies (Intel, MCI, Focus on the Family)...

...and with them Southern Californians who are conservative and unfriendly. (Be careful who you say that in front of, they get really upset if you call them unfriendly... they're in denial.) The original Colorado Springs was libertarian - fiscally conservative (which is why the wages here are low)

... but VERY friendly. So, what you have is a town of conservative (not necessarily born again Christians) people with low wages. They drive into their garages and lock their front doors and only talk to people who are like them. I have belonged to various churches and it is ALWAYS the same...

God forbid that they would talk to a single woman or a single man. They are scared of our cooties I guess. They had the Ladies PGA Nationals in my parent's town and it was an okay event, fun, and people participated. Here they behaved like it was the second coming of Christ. They're snotty here.

S/he isn't whning. I've been here since 1995 and I thought it was me - I'm from Western Massachusetts and spent 10 years of my life in Ohio and then 4 years of my life in Boston. The people here don't even TRY to reach out to strangers. I thought it was me. It's not. They don't care.

Jane Smith in Colorado Springs, Colorado

35 months ago

You're not nuts. I grew up in Western Massachusetts and spoke with a woman who was an adjunct professor at UCCS and Colorado College. She did her doctoral (PhD) work 15 minutes away from where I grew up.

She said "In the 1980's and early 1990's Colorado Springs went through a major recession and so the Economic Development Council started recruiting companies here by offering tax breaks. What they got was a bunch of Southern Californian companies (Intel, MCI, Focus on the Family)...

...and with them Southern Californians who are conservative and unfriendly. (Be careful who you say that in front of, they get really upset if you call them unfriendly... they're in denial.) The original Colorado Springs was libertarian - fiscally conservative (which is why the wages here are low)

... but VERY friendly. So, what you have is a town of conservative (not necessarily born again Christians) people with low wages. They drive into their garages and lock their front doors and only talk to people who are like them. I have belonged to various churches and it is ALWAYS the same...

God forbid that they would talk to a single woman or a single man. They are scared of our cooties I guess. They had the Ladies PGA Nationals in my parent's town and it was an okay event, fun, and people participated. Here they behaved like it was the second coming of Christ. They're snotty here.

S/he isn't whning. I've been here since 1995 and I thought it was me - I'm from Western Massachusetts and spent 10 years of my life in Ohio and then 4 years of my life in Boston. The people here don't even TRY to reach out to strangers. I thought it was me. It's not. They don't care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

todd in Hazel Park, Michigan

35 months ago

I'm assuming your asking why move to Denver?

I have given up on the idea of moving to Denver as I can't get a job there without being there and it's expensive to just move there.

I thought it was a cool city with great mass transit. I assumed it would be cheaper because of lower taxes, but like someone said housing is really expensive as it hasn't caught up to the national housing collapse.

I think too many people think it's a cool place to live and that makes it overly expensive even when there are not many jobs.

I'm in the Detroit area and despite employment being next to impossible here, at least it's very affordable.

In this economy moving to a city just because you like it is a luxury for a few.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.