Newcomer's guide to Evanston?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What do newcomers need to know to settle in and enjoy Evanston? Car registration, pet laws, city services, more...

Reply - Report abuse

claudia in Evanston, Illinois

64 months ago

Any info on kid's schools, entretainment, summer activities, etc. is welcome. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Rockland, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Claudia~ First let me welcome you to the south shore. I grew up in Wilmette and can tell you that you have moved to great place. As far as registration goes you would need to visit the DMV for your first time registering~ After that it can be done by mail. When you first register they will give you a paper registration to post in your car. Pet laws are not too stringent , just keep dogs leashed in common areas oh and if you do have a dog I highly suggest visiting the dog beach. As far as schools go I have had mixed feelings. The elementary and middle schools are pretty good but the high school can be questionable depending on your views. Some turn offs for me were the day care center for the students to drop off thier babies as the school has a high teen pregnancy rate and some of the liotering by non students on campus. The positives about the school was the high level of education offered and the classes offered are highly diversified giving the students a wide choice of things to explore. Summer activities are many. Check out the local paper and you will find tons of stuff to do. Oh and don't forget to get your beach sticker for parking it will help save you some $$ unless you are close enough to walk. Hope this helps!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.