Want to Break into Property Management

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Lillie in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Currently do outside copier sales - the thrill is gone! Work with Word, Excel, PowerPoint - negotiate bids, write up contracts, leases, etc.
Worked 7 yrs for Marketing / Incentive House coordinating and doing on-site incentive (recognition) vacations, car shows, pharmaceutical product launches, and corportate training meetings. Traveled 200 to 250 days a year - too much travel. Need position with people inter-action.
Think Property Mgmt could be stimulating and challenging with much people contact. Do not know the specfic software property management companies use, but feel if shown can pick up quickly.
Can anyone out there tell me how to break into the property management field without having property management experience? Or... does anyone have other options they would share with me? Any and all responses will be very welcomed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

84 months ago

Lillie in Houston, Texas said: Currently do outside copier sales - the thrill is gone! Work with Word, Excel, PowerPoint - negotiate bids, write up contracts, leases, etc. ... break into the property management field without having property management experience? Or... does anyone have other options they would share with me? Any and all responses will be very welcomed.

Lillie - I was an assistant property manager and am looking for a position. First off you need to know, in some states, you need a license so check before you apply for a position. Here in Florida we can not work as an assistant PM or a PM without that license and we have to attend 18 hours of classroom instruction. We also have to pass the state test. You can also attend college online if you wish to further your education. There are two onlice schools that you can get either a degree or certificate. PropertyMgmt.AshworthUniversity.edu & www.propmanagementcourse.com (Allied School).
Your previous employment experience is a big plus but don't think you are going to make mega bucks at first. Do research, check out job descriptions on other job sites. It will give you an idea what is required. I love the field but unfortunately my age is a big factor (over the hill). Depending if you like to work in a condo or homeowners association but doing that research will give you a feel for both. Here in Florida working in a condo has more rules and regulations while an HOA you have more wiggle room. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

61 months ago

Ok now that you got your license do you also have experience in the area of A/C. Pools? I looked at a few positions and they want you to be a handiman as well. I am giving up my license and sticking with the other side of the business - office work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tausiah in Jakarta, Indonesia

52 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jhou1128 in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

You do not have to be licensed to work for a property management company in Texas. In Houston, like most areas start your search with the local apartment association and work your way out from there. Many PM's that do apartments also do other types of management. (Commercial, Retail, Office, etc.) To start out in multi-family (apartment) you would probably be searching for a position in Leasing, possibly an Assistant Manager, depending on prior experience.
Houston Apartment Association has a job search link.
www.haaonline.org
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.