Felons Really Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 91)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

J in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I'm seriously looking for employment. I have Geo-Seismic experience, I've been trained as a junior coodinater and observer. I've worked heli-port operations and used software and communications systems associated with geo-seismic projects. I have a felony and I can't get passed the background check. Is there information and/or contact numbers of companies that hires persons with background check. I'm drugfree and very capable of working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (552) / No (77) Reply - Report abuse

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa

63 months ago

Update: H.R. 1529, The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009

On March 16, 2009, Congressman Charles B. Rangel [D-NY] sponsored and introduced The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 [HR 1529] which would permit expungement of records of certain nonviolent criminal offenses. Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - It amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has:

(1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought;

(2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained;

(3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release;

(4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and

(5) completed at least one year of community service. Status of the Legislation. Latest Major Action: 3/16/2009: Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.'

the Second Chance Act of 2007 (H.R. 1593), titled "To reauthorize the grant program for reentry of offenders into the community in the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, to improve reentry planning and implementation, and for other purposes" was submitted to the House by Representative Danny Davis (D-IL) to amend the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 to reauthorize, rewrite, and expand provisions for adult and juvenile offender state and local reentry demonstration projects to provide expanded services to offenders and their families for reentry into society. H.R. 1593 was signed into law April 9, 2008.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Employer Incentives

Work Opportunity Tax Credit

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) provides a tax credit of up to $2,400 for employers hiring individuals from certain targeted groups including: low-income, vocational rehabilitation referrals, former AFDC recipients, veterans, ex-felons, food stamp recipients, summer youth employee, and SSI recipients.

An employer who hires an employee who
A) has been convicted of a felony under any statute of the United States or an State,
B) has a hiring date which is not more than 1 year after the last date on which such individual was so convicted or was released from prison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Employer Incentives

Work Opportunity Tax Credit

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) provides a tax credit of up to $2,400 for employers hiring individuals from certain targeted groups including: low-income, vocational rehabilitation referrals, former AFDC recipients, veterans, ex-felons, food stamp recipients, summer youth employee, and SSI recipients.

An employer who hires an employee who
A) has been convicted of a felony under any statute of the United States or an State,
B) has a hiring date which is not more than 1 year after the last date on which such individual was so convicted or was released from prison

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Tax Deduction for Employers for Hiring Ex-Offenders

employers that meet criteria are allowed an additional deduction on their Iowa income tax returns for hiring ex-offenders. This deduction is 65 percent of the wages paid in the first 12 months of employment; the maximum deduction is $20,000 per employee. This deduction is in addition to the targeted jobs tax credit.

Federal Bonding Program

The Federal Bonding Program has been around since the 1960’s. IT was set up to help new employees over a final hurdle when employers indicate they would hire a person with a perceived risk factor if they were bonded, and would not hire them if they were not bonded. The fidelity bond is issued to the employer and valued at $5,000 for 6 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

PREPARING FOR AN INTERVIEW: DIFFICULT QUESTIONS EMPLOYERS MIGHT ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND

During an interview, an employer is trying to get as much information about you as possible in a very short amount of time. Below is a list of difficult questions that you may want to practice answering.

?I’ve noticed gaps in your work history; can you explain those gaps?
?Have you ever been convicted of a crime?
?What were your convictions?
?What have you learned from this?
?How can you assure our company that you won’t re-offend or commit the same crime?

Prospective employers can inquire about arrest; whether charges are still pending, have been dismissed, or led to conviction of a crime involving behavior that would adversely affect job performance. This is especially true if the crime or crimes would relate reasonably to the job duties. However, don’t let the employer drag you into talking in detail or length about what went on while you were in prison. This is not the purpose of your interview.
• Keep answers simple and clear (vague answer may sound like you’re hiding something)….
• Keep answers brief
• Keep your dignity at all times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

How would you answer the question, “Have you ever been convicted of a crime?”

EXAMPLE:
Interviewer: “I see from your application that you have been convicted of a crime. Will you explain this to me? Tell me about it.”
Applicant: “I’m glad you asked me because I want you to feel comfortable hiring me. It is embarrassing for me to talk about. I want to assure you that it had nothing to do with my previous employers. I took some things that didn’t belong to me and as a result, I’ve taken the time to decide what field I would like to get into. I have enrolled in several clerical courses and can type 50 wpm. I am familiar with several software programs for word processing, and have excellent phone skills. I am very interested in learning all I can about this industry, and I know I would be an asset to your organization.”
-OR-
“When I was younger I got mixed up with the wrong crowds and got in trouble for breaking into cars. We all do things when we are young that we regret. I used the time to my advantage by completing an air conditioner and heating training program and received my certificate. I’ve researched several air conditioning companies in the area and yours is well respected. I would really like to be a part of your team.”
-OR-
“In my past, I was involved with drugs, but that is all behind me, and I’ve taken control of my life. I have two years of experience in food service and want to stay in this industry and learn as much as possible. As a result of my past, when you hire me, your company is eligible for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit, which can save you up dot $2,400. Are you familiar with this program?”

REMEMBER that communication is not just about the words you use!!!
Your total message is:
7% actual words
38% tone, pitch, volume and rate
55% body posture, clothing, facial expressions and gestures

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Interview Questions Regarding Criminal History

If the employer asks a question regarding your criminal history, briefly explain what happened, but keep it positive and don’t dwell on the past. Explain that you have learned from your mistakes and are currently interested in making a positive contribution to the employer’s operation. An example follows:

“I don’t want to lie to you. I do want an interview and the chance to explain myself. I have a felony conviction. I’m sorry for the grief I caused other people and I’m embarrassed about having committed a crime. I wanted to explain in more detail to you personally about the situation. I feel so bad about what I did that I didn’t want anyone knowing about it, except those of you who need to know. What would you like to know about my situation?”

It is best if you bring up the topic yourself. The following guidelines will assist you in addressing your conviction.
• Show no intention of lying
• Indicate wish for an interview
• Point out your need to explain the situation
• State that you have a conviction
• Indicate sorrow for your victim
• Specify your own embarrassment
• Give reason for incomplete information on the application
• Restate your sorrow for committing the crime
• Designate desire for confidentiality
• Ask interview for next move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Answering the question…”What was your crime/conviction?”
• Know what time frame the employer is concerned with (i.e. within the last 5-7 years) and provide the specific crimes you were convicted of during that time period.
• Show remorse and accept responsibility
• Indicate sorrow for victim of crime
• State what you lost from the crime
• State you learned something
• Indicate what you learned
• Focus on most important thing learned
• State you made best of situation
• Relate jail experience to work
• Indicate need to earn way back in
• Indicate willingness to talk about things

If you tell the truth, the law and the State are essentially on your side. However, once you lie, you have effectively given up rights protecting you from discrimination or regarding damages to you in the event of being discriminated against. Having given your employer a valid pretext for firing you (dishonesty, supplying false information, etc) you will no longer have the law in your favor.

Employers cannot discriminate against you for being arrested, but they do have the right to question your employability if you have been convicted of a crime. They can’t ask…”Have you ever been arrested?” They can ask…”Have you ever been convicted of a “specific” crime?” The type of crime specified must be related to the job for which you are applying. For example, a brokerage firm might ask if you have ever been convicted of a Securities and Exchange Commission ethical violation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

SAMPLE INCARCERATION SPEECH

“Incarceration Speech” – The brief and direct information an individual with a criminal history can relate to an interviewer about the reason(s) for incarceration.
• Doesn’t have to be the first thing the individual tells an interviewer
• Should be addressed early in the interview
• An example of a good time to disclose and present this “incarceration speech” would be if/when an interviewer asks a question such as: “Can you tell me about yourself?”; “Can you tell me about your time in jail/prison?”; or “Have you ever been incarcerated and if so, why?” You may want to point out to the offender that showing sincerity by saying that they are sorry and they do regret what they have done --- they need to apologize; society and the employer wants to hear this.
• Be sure to mention to the offender to only use the word “incarceration” once. “Incarceration” has been researched to be the least harsh word.
• Remind them to avoid using profanity or “jailhouse jargon” (i.e. joint, convict, slammer, felon, etc)
• Use the letters RSLA:
• R=Right to know (the employer has the right to know)
• S=Sincerity (they made a mistake and they are sorry – they are prepared to do whatever it takes to prove themselves)
• L=Learned (they take full responsibility for their actions and they have learned from their experiences)
• A=Advantages (what is in it for the employer – to get a hard working and dedicated employee AND the company should be aware that they will be eligible for the Work Opportunities Tax Credit)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

EXAMPLE:
“Before we get started (or continue) there is something you have the right to know. I have made mistakes and was incarcerated for (felony). At the time my judgment was clouded. I made a wrong choice and I did something stupid. I am sorry. I admit this was a serious error in my judgment. But during this time I re-evaluated my life and decided I wanted to make a positive change. I took advantage of this time to better myself by taking classes in …. “.
***This is the point where they can mention a summary of; programs completed, and his/her skills, strengths and abilities. They should also mention the advantages of the employer (WOTC, Bonding, etc).***

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

As an offender you need to be prepared for the questions that may arise in the interview process regarding your criminal history. One way to prepare is to have an “incarceration speech” ready to address these questions. An incarceration speech is an explanation of the time, crime and identifying a new direction in your life.

To develop an incarceration speech you will need to identify what you gained while in jail and what you lost in jail.

What you can gain while incarcerated:
• Improved education which will help in your job
• A healthy respect for authority and rules
• A genuine respect for other people’s rights
• A better understanding of why you do things
• Increased ability to get along in hostile situations
• Much more patience in handling problems
• Job related skills training
Counseling which helped you change your behaviors
• A desire to do what’s right so you don’t return
• Improved self-discipline
• Renewed respect for the value of hard work.

What you lost while incarcerated:
• Access to and respect from your children
• Trust from your family and friends
• Your own personal dignity and self-respect
• Freedom to control your own life
• Personal property (car, home, etc)
• Time you could have been advancing your career
• Money you could have made working
• Opportunity to enter certain types of careers
• Ability to travel anywhere you wanted (if paroled)
• Right to enter job market on your terms.
• Network of friends who could help you find work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Example of Incarceration Speech

I served 3 years in a State Correction Facility for burglary, theft and a walk-away escape. I’m currently on parole and there are some conditions attached to that situation.

I guess if there’s anything good to be gained from that experience is that I learned a lot about myself. I learned to make better decisions, to make healthier choices. I hurt a lot of people when I went to prison. I paid a very high price. I lost my home and my job. Most of all, I lost contact with the most important thing in my life, my children and family.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the things I’ve done to hurt people. I’m ready to start paying that back. I’m truly at a crossroads. I have a different sense of direction and a different sense of purpose in life.

Four Step Strategy for Answering Felony Question

The following questions may be asked in a job interview:

“I see you were convicted of a felony. What happened?”
“Why should we hire you, an ex-felon?”
“What makes me think you won’t commit another felony?”
“You marked on your application that you committed a crime, did you go to prison?”

1. Own it.

2. How do I feel about what I did?

3. What have I learned and what have I accomplished from this?

4. What are my new goals?

An example of each step:

1. Yes

2. I am not proud of what I have done, in fact, I am ashamed to talk about it because I made a bad decision and hurt a lot of people. Since that decision, I have learned that there are no shortcuts in life, and I have earned my high school diploma” (add any information that would be appropriate).

3. Today, I am a better person because of this experience. I value my family and want to be with them and provide for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Overcoming the employer’s objections in the interview can be difficult. Practicing these statements and preparing to address the employer’s concerns can help you address your past in the best possible method.
In addition to interview questions, that can be difficult, you may want to also present two other reasons why an employer would want to hire you. These programs are a financial benefit to the employer, and should be presented when the employer is at a point of interest and acceptance in you as a candidate
Presenting these programs first, before you have a chance to explain yourself will make the employer more suspicious of you as a potential hazard to their company. Sell yourself, then provide the added benefits to hiring you.
Why should I hire you?
I am bondable up to $5,000 at no cost to an employer.
The U.S. Department of Labor has a Fidelity Bonding Program available for returning ex-felons to aid us in finding meaningful, full-time employment and to protect employers against theft, fraud, forgery, larceny or similar events. The Bond is good for six months and renewable at the employer’s cost for another six months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Business insurance policies that protect against theft, forgery, larceny or embezzlement of money or property by an employee who is covered by the bond.
Department of Labor (DOL) will post a $5,000 bond at no cost to the employer for a 6 month period.
A $2,400 Tax Credit could go right to your bottom line.
The Internal Revenue Service can authorize up to a $2,400 Tax Credit for your business. This is an incentive to hire ex-felons and is known as the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). The tax credit applied to both state and federal taxes in Iowa.
This can only be used for a new hire.
The employer cannot have used the tax credit for the same person in the past.
Employment must be full-time (over 36 hours per week).
You must be employed
A “letter of incarceration” is required and must be provided.
No fee to the employer.
Very little paperwork is required.
Needs to be done within 21 days from the employee’s start date.

63 months ago

REMEMBER:
?Be polite. Whether you get the results you want or not, thank the person for taking the time to speak with you.
?Be prepared to answer questions about your background and/or experience.
?Have a pen and paper handy to take down information or directions.
?Be prepared to set up an interview.
EXAMPLES OF OTHER DIFFICULT INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
? Tell us about yourself.
? Why do you want to work here?
? Why did you leave your last job?
? Name three strengths and weaknesses.
? How do you respond to having to work under pressure?
? How many days of work did you miss last year?
? I see on your application that you have had many jobs in the past year; is there a reason for this?
? Would you have any objections if we contacted any of your former employers?
? Where do you see yourself five years from now? What are your long-range career plans/goals?
? Why should I hire you?
? What would you do if there were a conflict between you and a supervisor? What would you do if there were a conflict between you and another worker?
? Why do you want to work for our company?
? Do you have any questions? (it is ALWAYS good to have 3-5 questions in mind before the interview for the interviewer = shows your true interest in the job and the company).

63 months ago

TIPS FOR ANSWERING DIFFICULT QUESTIONS:
? Think before answering – you may want to respond with “That’s a good question” and then pause for a moment before responding. This allows for more time to collect your thoughts before responding.
? Ask the interviewer to restate the question – by asking for the question to be restate, it can give you more time to think about the answer and to help you understand more about what the interviewer is asking.
? Be brief and respond in a factual way – This is perhaps one of the best ways to respond because it makes you sound sure and confident in your response.
? Focus on what is really being asked - be sure not to get off track
? Never lie, exaggerate or overstate - If you lie, exaggerate, or overstate in an interview or on an application or resume and the employer finds out, no matter how big or small, that can become grounds for immediate firing.

63 months ago

SAMPLE LETTER OF EXPLANATION

Date

Name
Business Name
Address

Dear (Prospective Employer):

Please accept this letter of explanation regarding the lack of information on the Employment Application about my felony conviction(s) of that occurred on
. I certainly do not want to mislead you nor lie to you by not providing more detailed information on the application; however, due to the embarrassment I feel over my past mistake(s), I very much want the opportunity to explain this to you in person.

I’m sure you have reservations considering hiring a felon, and rightfully so. If the positions were reversed I would probably feel the same way. I can only hope to try to explain the specifics, my true regret for what I have done in the past, why that will never happen again in the future, and now that I have the opportunity to turn my life around, why I will be an outstanding employee.

To back that up, the U.S. Labor Department is willing, at no cost to you, to post a $5,000 Fidelity bond for a period of 6 months with you on my behalf. Additionally, the IRS offers a one-time $2,400 tax credit to employers who hire felons. These employer benefits are available to you through Iowa Workforce Development at no fee with very little paperwork.

Whatever your decision, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Joe Applicant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Sample Letter Misdemeanors
Date:

Name
Business Name
Address

Dear (Prospective Employer):
Please accept this letter of explanation regarding the lack of information on the Employment Application about my misdemeanor conviction of _______ that occurred on _______________. You will find the original charge of __________ when you look at my criminal record, you will find that I was found guilty of __________ on ___________. I certainly do not want to mislead you nor lie to you by not providing more detailed information on the application; however, due to the embarrassment I feel over this conviction, I very much want the opportunity to explain this to you in person.

I’m sure you have reservations considering hiring someone with a misdemeanor conviction and rightfully so. If the positions were reversed I would probably feel the same way. I can only hope to try to explain the specifics, my true regret for what happened, why that will never happen again in the future, and why I will be an outstanding employee for you.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Joe Applicant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Information to Help You Gain Employment

Where to Start: Here is a preparation checklist for your job search
Portfolio contents:
? Resume
? Master Application (including institution work experience)
? Confirmed references
? Prospective employer list
? Copies of certificates or degrees
? Driver’s license or State issued ID (not prison ID)
? Birth certificate
? Social Security Card
? Military Records or DD214
? WOTC (know how to present it to employer)
? Fidelity Bonding (know how to present it to employer.
? Know your criminal record and how to describe it to employers.
? Register with Workforce

63 months ago

I hope that the information I have just posted is helpful to the majority of you on here.
I am not an attorney nor do I work for the criminal justice system.
I am a mother of a child who has a misdemeanor and has run into a lot of the same problems most of you have.
Felony and misdemeanor have been tossed together as being the same thing.
Most employers do not know how to read the background check report on charges of conviction.
Hopefully BAN THE BOX will be passed in all states and therfore give people the chance to explain what happened and what has been done since to improve and change the person.
The information I share is what I have uncovered in my research.
Again best of luck to you all..

63 months ago

Each State has to Pass "Ban the Box" , I would call your Governor office, local State reps ( congressman etc.) to see if they are working on this. If not request they do.

Here is more info on "Ban the Box"

www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads/nm_bantheboxfactsheet.pdf

www.saferfoundation.org/docs/Hiring_Standards_Matrix_Final_(2).pdf

63 months ago

Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES March 16, 2009

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1529:

Detailed Summary Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has: (1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought; (2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained; (3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release; (4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and (5) completed at least one year of community service.
Status of the Legislation
Latest Major Action: 4/27/2009: Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.
Info can be found on link:
www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/111_HR_1529.html

SAMWVU1982 in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl:

Thanks for the VERY helpful information that you provide here. I work with convicted felons in the Harris County Texas Forensic new Start Program. I plan to utilize your material for my employment skills group that I teach. Thanks again and GOD Bless you and your family!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

SAMWVU1982 in Houston, Texas said: oldiebutgoodiegirl:

Thanks for the VERY helpful information that you provide here. I work with convicted felons in the Harris County Texas Forensic new Start Program. I plan to utilize your material for my employment skills group that I teach. Thanks again and GOD Bless you and your family!

You are welcome! I hope it helps you and everyone else with a successful future. Best of luck to all..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Absecon, New Jersey

62 months ago

J in Houston, Texas said: I'm seriously looking for employment. I have Geo-Seismic experience, I've been trained as a junior coodinater and observer. I've worked heli-port operations and used software and communications systems associated with geo-seismic projects. I have a felony and I can't get passed the background check. Is there information and/or contact numbers of companies that hires persons with background check. I'm drugfree and very capable of working.

There is a lot of good information for ex-offenders and felons looking for jobs including a list of companies that hire ex-offenders at my blog:

www.jailtojob.com/wordpress

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

This is about 45 pages, worth reading PDF file.

www.hirenetwork.org/pdfs/National_Blueprint_For_Reentry_08.pdf

dubsolo in San Diego, California

57 months ago

this is a test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

dubsolo in San Diego, California said: this is a test

What kind of test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jerrieus Williams in Humble, Texas

57 months ago

I am An Ex- Felon that has a degree in Medical administrative assistance and Call center management skills as well. I have letter recomendations from every company tht I have worked for and the part time job I have now as well. Is there any companys in Houston hiring at this point in time ex- successful felons that are doing better in there lives and trying to do better and giving ex felons a chance to succeed and not just cutting them out. (Immediate response) Can anyone help please or refer me to a company that will hire me general labor is ok i just need something paying more than what I got until I find something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lil Moo in Pearland, Texas

56 months ago

kferg in Flint, Texas said: This is a serious problem, what is a person who has paid their debt to society suppose to do when there constantly being turned away?

I agree! What are we suppose to do and where do we go to get help? Why doesn't society give people 2nd or even 3rd chances to prove that they deserve to be treated humanely, especially after doing thier time served? I believe everyone has the right to work and have money to support their families and survive in this world!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sister "b" in Missouri City, Texas

56 months ago

U jus been pushed up a notch, my freind----forget looking for a job---and create one---go into your own business, a lil' imagination use ur old skills etc.

rgonzales in Pearland, Texas

55 months ago

SAMWVU1982 in Houston, Texas said: oldiebutgoodiegirl:

Can you please tell me if there is anywhere we can seek more information on what programs are available in Houston for convicted felons trying to turn their lives around?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J Houston in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Can you provide information regarding how to get into Harris County Texas Forensic New Start Program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JAM in Cypress, Texas

54 months ago

Best bet is to say you don't have a conviction and hope that the 1 out of 20 job applications that don't do a background check hires you. Unfortunately, I was hired for about a year, got a raise to 45k per year, made employee of the month 4/12 months, then was let go on my one year anniversary for lying on my application. Now I started my own company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lookingtothefuture in Elkhart, Texas

53 months ago

J Houston in Houston, Texas said: Can you provide information regarding how to get into Harris County Texas Forensic New Start Program

I am also interested in more information on this subject.

samwvu1982 in Humble, Texas

53 months ago

J Houston in Houston, Texas said: Can you provide information regarding how to get into Harris County Texas Forensic New Start Program

The New Start program is for Felons who are coming out of the Texas dept of Corrections from either Beaumont or the Ben Reid facility. You have to be recommended by one of the TDCJ Case workers there for our program. I primarily work with Ben Reid clients. Here are some good resources for you to check out:

romanfigures.com/top_ten_jobs_for_felons.pdf

romanfigures.com/EMPLOYERS_THAT_WILL_HIRE_FELONS.pdf

roadtoreentry.org/

Romanfingers is an attorney here in Houston that helps Felons. His two linked PDF articleds can get you started. The Road To Recovery organization just hosted a local felon to work job fair last month and there was a line around the George R Brown Convention center to get into their job fair. They have scheduled another job fair for May. Information is on their web site to sign up. YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP on their web site in order to guarantee admission to the job fair.

Best of luck to you. I know how very difficult it is for you to keep a positive outlook on life with a record and so many people out there making judgements about you but hang in there because I obviously would love to see you succeed!

53 months ago

lookingtothefuture in Elkhart, Texas said: I am also interested in more information on this subject.

The new Start program is for Felons who are coming out of the Texas dept of Corrections from either Beaumont or the Ben Reid facility. You have to be recommended by one of the TDCJ Case workers there for our program. I primarily work with Ben Reid clients. Here are some good resources for you to check out:

roadtoreentry.org/

Romanfingers is an attorney here in Houston that helps Felons. His two linked PDF articleds can get you started. The Road To Recovery organization just hosted a local felon to work job fair last month and there was a line around the George R Brown Convention center to get into their job fair. They have scheduled another job fair for May. Information is on their web site to sign up. YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP on their web site in order to guarantee admission to the job fair.

Best of luck to you. I know how very difficult it is for you to keep a positive outlook on life with a record and so many people out there making judgements about you but hang in there because I obviously would love to see you succeed!

53 months ago

The new Start program is for Felons who are coming out of the Texas dept of Corrections from either Beaumont or the Ben Reid facility. You have to be recommended by one of the TDCJ Case workers there for our program. I primarily work with Ben Reid clients. Here are some good resources for you to check out:

roadtoreentry.org/

j.smoothspirited one in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I know that thier are jobs available to the convicted felons who are trying to break out of the revolving door cycle inorder to re-enter society and make something out of themselves. just like myself we all need the encouragement to keep on keeping on so im just greatful to god that he's already set me up for blessings including a job . I claim it in the name of jesus, (thank you lord).

j.smoothspirited one in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I'v learned that the only way a person can prove he can be trusted is to be given an oppertunity to prove himself by his or her actions in the society . we should'nt be ex out because weve made some misstakes in our past growing up and Ilike me I know their are others out there praying for this kind of oppertunity, so keep your heads up ya'll (God is able to give this desire unto us all). God Bless (J.smoothspirited one)

delina collins in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

i have seek new knowledge wisdom and understanding.

RJ Rodriguez in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I have a 3rd degree felony from 7 years ago and have had a really hard time finding a job to date. It was an assault, when I was just 18 years old. jaymesvega@gmail.com

christinecanada in Winnipeg, Manitoba

52 months ago

Try working in the oil fields, they are always hiring, you might need a pardon
oilgasjobscanada.com/

Javious Kearney in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

I'm not a felon but I still need an JOB, for some reason people just discriminate
because i'm so much better than them....
Nice to have a Job leeding to my career put my hardwork and good mind to a use...
Today tomorrw I'm still gone be looking for a job, when i do get my job leeding to my career i'm a be very polite with the words I choose I hope time passes by and I look at all the things I've been through And faced so many hated on me now i get to be........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jkemp2690 in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

I agree!
Im not a bad person and im tired of employers trying to be too picky!!!!! you mess up one time in life and you cant get a job?

this.is.xenia in Deer Park, Texas

48 months ago

J in Houston, Texas said: I'm seriously looking for employment. I have Geo-Seismic experience, I've been trained as a junior coodinater and observer. I've worked heli-port operations and used software and communications systems associated with geo-seismic projects. I have a felony and I can't get passed the background check. Is there information and/or contact numbers of companies that hires persons with background check. I'm drugfree and very capable of working.

true.its.a.shame.

this-is-xenia in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

there has to be something else we can do, or there has to be osme new laws made because
the laws are being broke eveeery day when an "employer chooses to not even bother looking at an ex-cons
application !!! _________ ALL EX-CONS LOOKING FOR WORK and seriously have good intensions E-MAIL ME AT ...... this.is.xenia@gmail.com
SERIOUSLY I WANT TO COLLABORATE .. !!

Ambit-Energy in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

Ever thought about selling electricity? Take a look at caseywehr.energy526.com This could be your ticket to financial freedom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.