Does a Degree Really Make You More Valuable?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Administrator in Seabrook, Texas

17 months ago

I have over 15 years of experience in the Administrative field yet the jobs that I am qualified for want you to have a degree. I will say that most of these jobs I am OVER QUALIFIED for. So what difference does it really make if I have a degree or not? Why are so many companies requiring this?

I'm frustrated and out of work. I have worked contract most of my life because it paid more.

I have SAP skills, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Lotus Notes, 70WPM, Project Experience, Accounts Payables and Receivables, Ledger knowledge, Workers Hours (upkeep/submission),plus all basic knowledge needed to run an office (and I could add about 30 other things I have experience in with running an office). So why in the world is it so hard to find a good paying full time job without a degree?

If work contract with my skills alone I can make $20/hr. Now if I go out by myself and try to find full time work with the same skills and no degree I could maybe get $14 if I'm lucky.

What is so odd to me is that some of these companies who want an Admin with a degree are only paying maybe 16-20 an hour? Really?

None of this makes any sense to me. I guess it's back to the Job Agencies and working contract for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ls in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

to "Administrator in Seabrook" I have the same problem. Every great job I apply for, no response except for scams and perverts. I have really been what I consider to be a serious victim of scams twice in the past 9 months. I am so sick of having no money I could scream. I don't even get calls for the $10 jobs. I went back to school and got a degree, now I owe student loans. A bachelor's degree in Business Administration hasn't helped me one bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

17 months ago

Scans are wrong!

Perverts are harmless.

Unfortunately, a Business Admin degree is way too general of a degree to get a job with. In these tough times you have to have a degree like Nursing or Accounting that teaches one a specific skill set to get a job.

Go ahead and scream I'll scream with you.

Good Luck it's hard for allot of people too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

17 months ago

Administrator in Seabrook, Texas said: I will say that most of these jobs I am OVER QUALIFIED for. So what difference does it really make if I have a degree or not? Why are so many companies requiring this?

"So why in the world is it so hard to find a good paying full time job without a degree?"

you have a experience without a degree, and sum of us have a degree without experience. Basically, this is how it works...people with experience tend to look down on graduates by stating things like "your degree doesn't mean nothing" or you state "my experience makes me more qualified then a recent college graduate." While companies really do value production/experience over inexperienced graduates, there are many fields that REQUIRE a degree to even be considered for a position as you know. new graduates have an issue getting these same jobs because the have the degree but not the work experience. most companies(that are worth a d&mn anyways) want both. a degree from an respected college will get you plenty of interviews, so i would take that route if i was you.one last thing though..a college degree does NOT make us smarter than you, but we were just smart enough to go and get one..best of luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Administrator in Seabrook, Texas

17 months ago

ls in Houston, Texas said: to "Administrator in Seabrook" I have the same problem. Every great job I apply for, no response except for scams and perverts. I have really been what I consider to be a serious victim of scams twice in the past 9 months. I am so sick of having no money I could scream. I don't even get calls for the $10 jobs. I went back to school and got a degree, now I owe student loans. A bachelor's degree in Business Administration hasn't helped me one bit.

I feel for you, trust me. I am almost at the screaming point myself and I'm in a refusal to lower my pay.

I too have run into scammers! It's sickening really. Only the lowest of people would prey on someoe who is trying to find work.

I have been out of a job since July and it's killing me. I have been considering going back to school but I do not feel that school really helps everyone. *See grammatical and spelling errors from supposed college graduates below*. Just pointing out the obvious. :o)

Sometimes even a college degree can't fix everything!

I will say that someone mentioned the health care industry as an educational avenue and I have to agree with this. I was an EKG Tech but unfortunately was not receiving the hours nor the pay that I desired. So, I have been thinking about going back to do radiology.

I not only enjoyed working in a hospital but I can tell you that it really does beat working in an office.

However, I still think that in order to be a GOOD or even GREAT Administrator that you do not need a DEGREE. You either know your stuff or you don't. I would think that you having a degree would help you in your job hunt. Someone posted that they felt a Business Admin degree is not beneficial and I will disagree with them. I believe having a degree is beneficial in general. I know a lot of people who do NOT work in the field that they are degreed in. It was their degree that helped them get in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

17 months ago

Administrator from Seabrook, TX said: I would appreciate it if people would use spell check. Your spelling errors are atrocious.
I counted three typos. Not to mention that "Ashley" has never heard of commas and hyphens. Also not to mention that plugging personal blogs violates Indeed rules.

You may appreciate this story. I applied for a paralegal position at a large local engineering, hazmat cleanup and environmental work corporation. By "large" this corporation employs 18,000 people and receives 48,000 applications a year. I never expected to get a response, but I did. A legal department member actually interviewed me telephonically for the paralegal position. I sent the interviewer a thank-you letter and waited for further word.

About six weeks, further word came. The corporation's HR department sent me a rejection e-mail. The e-mail said the corporation had filled the "paraleagal" opening. It's unpleasant enough to be rejected, but it's insulting to receive a rejection in which the job is misspelled! I have impeccable spelling skills and I could not get hired - yet this individual, who could not spell the title of the opening, did. Also misspelling the name of the job sends a negative message about the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.