Best schools in Indianapolis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

Where are the best schools or school districts in Indianapolis?

Reply - Report abuse

LOTR1967 in Franklin, Tennessee

85 months ago

LOL!!! Are you serious??? My best advice. HOMESCHOOL or PRIVATE SCHOOL!! The Governor has managed to get rid of most of the teachers in Indiana. They have all been forced to move out of state as a result, to look for work. It's so sad. Art classes, home ec, agriculture, all of the important extacurricular courses are being eliminated. Kids are wore out, teachers are wore out, test results are skewed just to pass the kids on. No child left behind is right....but, most cannot read or calculate the simplest of math equations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Barker in Indianapolis, Indiana

83 months ago

i agree with you 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PGardiner in Indianapolis, Indiana

81 months ago

It use to be that you could find a good charter school, no longer. We are left with schools that only those with excellent finances can offord.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Franklin, Tennessee

81 months ago

We have long since moved out of state. Things aren't much better here but a little. However, in Tennessee (Williamson County in particular) expectations are for perfect children. Those who aren't wealthy or gifted are left in the dust. So, we are back to homeschooling again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Brentwood, Tennessee

80 months ago

Host said: Where are the best schools or school districts in Indianapolis?

Please read links below. There are no good districts left. Please research all of the information on teacher layoffs and budget cutbacks for the past 5 years. They have eliminated most arts and trades programs and most of the classes have a high student to teacher ratio. Crime is increasing in the schools there as well. AND they started bussing inner city children to township schools as well. It's falling apart. Charter schools are governed by state and local laws so they are feeling pressure as well. Homeschool or private school if it is at all possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

June in Indianapolis, Indiana

75 months ago

It is so sad that we value GAS more than we value the education of our children. We are so focused on other things that don't even matter. The rich just keep getting richer, and as a people we just don't value what our children can do. They took all of the Art and music programs out and now we are left with that horrible ISTEP mess, and CORE 40 mess. Children need to learn how to read, write and calculate. They need to know about history, and social economics. We just want to teach them how to be bitter and slick. Then we put them in jail or on some kind of drug that is suppose to help them blend into society. Indiana is the worst state I have ever seen when it comes to compassion for its youth. Sit out on any street down town some times and look at how they do not have somewhere to go. They just hang out. It is sad and we should do something really big to change it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

A Friend in Sarasota, Florida

75 months ago

While inner city Indianapolis schools have their challenges, the bed room communities have outstanding public schools... Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield and Fishers to name a few from the Northside. If you don't believe me make an appointment and visit them. You'll like what you see, the teachers are great and the staffs are caring.

A Friend

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nevermore in Sarasota, Florida

75 months ago

Michelle My fiancee lived in Carmel on 30K a year with 2 kids. It's doable. Fishers and Westfield are even less expensive. Homeshooling is not the least expensive, or in my opinion, a good option for the kids when there are excellent schools available. These schools are that good and worth paying higher rents to live there. We are moving back just for those reasons as Florida schools are very poor. But whatever you do I wish you well. It's up to you to make it happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brett in Indianapolis, Indiana

72 months ago

Coming from someone who has there teaching license, and was looking to become a teacher in Indiana, I will agree that "Our Man |3itch" Daniels has driven alot of good teachers out of state. If you want to look on the west side of Indy, look at Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Mooresville. These areas are much less expensive than Carmel, Fishers etc. and they offer quite a bit. Carmel and Fishers are way too busy for me. I love the west side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kbana in Danville, Indiana

72 months ago

I am planning on homeschooling my kids once they hit 6 grade as I do not want them to go to the middle school in North Putnam. I am letting them get a good start in Elementary first. But I wonder why I had to purchase a calculator for my 3rd grader. I cannot believe how they are letting them use them instead of teaching their brains to do the math. Back in my years they never let us use a calculator. No wonder why the kids cant do math skills on their own. I am very disappointed this year with them because of this. I want my kids taught. Not free lancing......keri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Broadrippian in Indianapolis, Indiana

70 months ago

All of you are so funny. Anything is "doable" but is it realistic, for everyone? NO! I have live in Indiana for most of my life and find that Westfield wants to become fishers and Fishers want to become Carmel and Camel in turn want to become Zionsville. ALL are highly expensive places to live. (Carmelites, Fisherians, Westfeildian, and Zionlites) Let?s not leave out Nobletuckians, they too want to be like Fishers, or Fisherians. All schools have their good sides and bad sides. I have heard of Clay township schools not having their stuff together and Private Park Tutor not graduating any of their students to Harvard. Matter of fact the majority of Park Tutor student graduate to IUPUI. IUPUI is not a bad college, although when you pay college tuition every year to send your child to Park Tutor for the first 18 years or more; you expect at least Harvard for a College.

But what about home schooling.....That is only as good as the teacher.

Let?s face it; it all boils down to the teacher anyway and some years they are good and others they are not.

My advise what every you choose GET INVOLVED! If you do not like all aspect of a school help change it. Volunteer; be in your child class room as much as possible. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CHILDS LIFE NEEDS UP TO A STRANGER!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

loretta in Indianapolis, Indiana

69 months ago

Host said: Where are the best schools or school districts in Indianapolis?

i would try either dectaur or wayne township vey nice schools alot of options to choose from

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smoore in Indianapolis, Indiana

66 months ago

I would like to homeschool my 12 year old but I don't have all the skills to do so. Are there any teachers that offer homeschooling? or any other parents that offer help in their homes with this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hiljack in Indianapolis, Indiana

65 months ago

Michelle in Franklin, Tennessee said: Too funny....after writing all of my comments we are so homesick for Indiana and our family back home. My son will remain homeschooled when we move back. I know about Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield and Fishers. You have to make a certain amount of money to live in these areas. They are upper middle class and upper class. And many of us are not able to live in these high scale areas. I'm happy for those who are. It still leaves the rest of us with nothing.

im not sure where you are getting your information but there are opportunities for all economic classes in Carmel, Zionsville, West field and Fishers - you do not have to be upper middle or even middle class to live in carmel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

PGardiner in Indianapolis, Indiana

65 months ago

I think that Washington Toownship Schools are still a good deal. As with any school system it depends on the child but I have found great satisfaction in the Washington Township School District.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in New Palestine, Indiana

64 months ago

You home schooling folks are funny. I know of many parents that home school and could not pass a 9th grade test in any subject. The main ingredient for a successful school is parents that are involved. One does not have to be rich to live in Fishers, Brownsburg or any of the "expensive" cities about which you complain. Our combined income was under $40,000 last year and yet we somehow afford to live in our nice, small ranch home in Fishers. I am sure all you complaining about budget cuts feel that money is the only answer to the education solution. The reality is to have families with a mother and father, involved in their child's education, paying attention to what those children do at all times of the day and night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I have a B.A. in History and graduated in the top 10% of my class from the University of Indianapolis. I am a member of two national honor societies. I have been the Development Director of a public library and am now a writer and heading a ministry. My homeschooled son of 15 years is graduating a year early and has been accepted into ministry school and will be starting classes next month. OH, and did I mention I have been a single Mother for 14 years? So, what was it that you were saying about homeschooling parents who cannot pass a 9th grade test in any subject as well as children needing to be in a two parent home?

Way to go with the stereotype. Fail....

God bless and have a great day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in New Palestine, Indiana

64 months ago

I am sure you are the prime example of all the home school people. If you actually read my posting I said that all the people I personally know do not have the qualifications to teach. Now, I am sure my circle of friends are not as educated or spiritual as yours.

If you really think families are better off with well educated mothers without fathers, go with it. Also, Ms. Perfect. I really hate it when Bible thumpers like you say have God Bless and Have a nice day. I know what you really mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I am NOT a single Mother by choice. However, I HAVE chosen to remain single so I did not get into a poor marriage that could lead to divorce. And I really did mean God bless you. I am not a Bible thumper. I am not religious. I HATE religion. I am a follower of Christ and trust me, if you knew me at all, you would not be stereotyping. I am sorry Christian's have pissed you off so much that you now hate us all (another stereotype). Trust me, most church's fail at that completely. I know this for a fact AS a single Mother who has always been stereotyped IN the church for being a single Mother. So, I see you as no different than those you condemn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

wed1986 in Indianapolis, Indiana

57 months ago

My son goes to IPS. He was in the magnet program at School 91. It is a Monessori school. The children work at their own speed and ability level. #91 won the Federal Blue Ribbon award last year. Also my son as an Eighth Grader took High School Algebra. He took the test and passed. #91 was the only school in IPS to have 100% pass the core 40 test.
We were very pleased with #91.
Please do not give up. There are good IPS schools. You just have to do your homework.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teacher in Indianapolis, Indiana

49 months ago

Brett in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Coming from someone who has there teaching license, and was looking to become a teacher in Indiana, I will agree that "Our Man |3itch" Daniels has driven alot of good teachers out of state. If you want to look on the west side of Indy, look at Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Mooresville. These areas are much less expensive than Carmel, Fishers etc. and they offer quite a bit. Carmel and Fishers are way too busy for me. I love the west side.

"their" and not "there" teaching license Brett.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CFKK in Fishers, Indiana

49 months ago

Your comment has a spelling error. Alot is actually two words. A lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

klkforeman in Monument, Colorado

42 months ago

Good Lord people!! It was a simple question, and everyone has turned this into a debate!! I moved 2 years ago from Noblesville and it is a wonderful place to raise kids. We had a combined income at the time of just about 65,000, I LOVED the school my son went to. Noblesville is an inexpensive little town that is just close enough to the city. The schools are fine, and if you can....become involved. Being involved, turns a "fine" school into a great one!!! Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jbarnedoot@gmail.com in Dallas, Texas

38 months ago

Does INDY regulatory board offers a temporary license for newly grad. Occupational therapy assistant? If yes, for how many months? How many times? If there's a company in INDY who are willing to hire a OTA with temporary license to follow, I'm available...thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Indianapolis, Indiana

31 months ago

smoore in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I would like to homeschool my 12 year old but I don't have all the skills to do so. Are there any teachers that offer homeschooling? or any other parents that offer help in their homes with this?

My daughter lauren is 13 she is doing Keystone Homeschool. It is great it is all on the internet they send you a progress report like every three weeks. I just have to make sure she is turning her work in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.