Best companies to work for in Jacksonville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 246)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Jacksonville? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

Allan Hoffman CTC in Jacksonville, Florida

83 months ago

Hello Monica --

Jacksonville, FL (Florida's First Coast) has a lot to offer you and your daughter 13. Jacksonville is a place designed with "community" in mind! The surrounding area, as well has a lot to offer. Ideal location of is the rapidly-growing southeast sector of Duval County, positions it in the heart of one of North Florida’s most desirable new residential addresses.With convenient access to U.S. 1, 9-A and I-95, residents are just minutes from Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, Downtown, the Avenues Mall, Southpoint and Jacksonville's New St Johns Town Center as well as Tinseltown.Employment opportunities abound in and around the area, and are continuing to grow daily. The new Baptist Hospital South was built in the southern area of the city nearby; and Flagler Center, with a planned interchange at I-95 and Old St. Augustine Road, is a class A office park in the making —When it’s time to play, take a short drive to sightsee around historic St. Augustine; Put on your bathing suit and hit the beach; or enjoy a night on the town in the city! You’re never far from home, and never far from fun, in Jacksonville. For your daughter the MOSH museum and beaches are great. Excellent schools both public and private abound. For healthcare Baptist Hospital and the Mayo Clinic are fine institutions. Speaking of institutions great educational institutions like the University of North Florida and Jacksonville University abound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Quinneta in Longview, Texas

83 months ago

Actually, I am moving to Jacksonville, Florida in October 2007. I needed to know what are some of the top companies to work for in Jacksonville? I currently work for the Airlines, but looking for another employment. I have my BBA in Business Adminstration, and looking for better opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Allan Hoffman CTC in Fernandina Beach, Florida

83 months ago

The city of Jacksonville offers a number of major players to consider. For the healthcare industry Baptist Medical Centers, St Vincent's Hospital, Brooks Rehabilitation all employ BBA's. Now Marriott Hotels (Belfort Rd and Sawgrass),The Lodge at Ponte Vedra, The Renaissance World Golf Village, Crown Plaza, and Omni pretty much cover Hospitality. Gate Petroleum, CIT, and CSX in ther other category. Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Aetna,Avmed for insurance. Jacksonville is developing what kind of work do you want to do and I will direct you to some good companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sportty04@aol.com

81 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Jacksonville? Why are they a great employer?

Gate petrolim has alot to offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Rochester, Minnesota

80 months ago

I moved here to Jacksonville about 4 years ago and I love it here. I am paid very well and have a great job. I believe that you should have in mind what you would like to do and what area you'd like to work in. It definitely helps. Some professions (just like anywhere else)pay better than others. As mentioned, some healthcare instituitions pay well and offer great packages. The company I work for actually has Excellent benefits that are not costly. Since I've been here some of my family has begun to move here as well. There is plenty of opportunity and lots of greats schools. Here are some sites you may want to look at for jobs.
www.ebaptisthealth.com (employment on left bar)
www.mayoclinic.org (jobs on top banner)
www.unf.edu (click on community then jobs)
www.myflorida.com (has everything from links to schools and how they're graded to what colleges and state jobs are offered)

These should all be a good start if you're not here already. I saw you wanted to move here in Oct. I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

Monica said: contemplating a move to Jacksonville in approximately 6 months what to know what the city has to offer my daughter (13) and me.

Don't. This is probably the crime capital of the world!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Allan Hoffman in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

Gosh that is real sad! What part of Jacksonville do you live in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

I was born in Jacksonville, raised here, have moved away and back twice. By comparison to other places, I think people find the cost of living amenable. True, schools are not the greatest, but there are magnet programs for those with particular creative or vocational interest. This is a very suburban place - downtown is fine, but not all that active. There are small pockets of good and bad, but I think that is true of most places. It is very conservative for the most part, but you can find good people here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn Harrison in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

I agree with RBurkes and strongly disagree with sgljaxguy. I have lived in Jacksonville since I was about 3 years old. I have seen the city get worse and worse. If you are in the medical field, then you can find some great oppurtunities here. Other than that, Jacksonville is mainly a customer service oriented city. I'm in the IT industry specializing in network engineering and I can tell you first hand that it's dying here in Jax. There are no entry level positions and few mid level. It's the same with software development.
And sgljaxguy, Detroit is not the crime capitol in the US, lol. In 2007 Jax surpassed the amount of murders in Washington DC by the month of April. We had 83. Crime is bad here. I live in more of upper class area and recently watched the FBI raid an apartment complex that I recently moved out of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Virginia in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

What you don't hear in the news. I am an insurance agent I work for one of the largest agencies in town. Example 1. Client purchases a big screen tv from walmart on Normandy blvd. Xmas eve. Client drives home. Leaves gifts purchased and goes to mothers home for Xmas eve Dinner. Thieves followed her home from walmart in the mean time wait until she leaves and kick in her front door, stealing everything including the food in the fridge , A real scrooge Xmas for this woman and her grandchildren who now have NOTHING to open for xmas. I handled her claim it broke my heart. Where does she live about 10 minutes from my home off Wilson Blvd. Example 2. 15 year old girl is walking near stillwell middle school in my neighborhood. She is walking less then 2 blocks home. It is 9:30 pm in a neighborhood full of elderly and young families, she is forced into a car at gunpoint raped and dropped off on collins rd. Example 3. Another client calls me he wants to file a claim for injuries he sustained while he was being shot at in his car a 1990 mercury, He is at a food stop store on Plymoth ave getting a soda before heading to Home depot to buy his wife a microwave, he is shot 3 times as he runs from his car. He had no money and no flashy car, just some kid looking for bragging rights he told the cops when they caught him. The courts are still pending his trial this was a year ago in may. My client just started walking again. example 4. another cleint an elderly lady is robbed she is 89, at her front door by persons pretending to be FBI agents,they conned her into going to the bank with them and removing a large amount from her savings account. The police think it is an inside job. Crime happens everywhere no one is exempt and no I am not a angry Yankee Mr You live in Nashville guy I am a realist.The war was over years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MrsBea in Canton, Michigan

76 months ago

I live in Canton, but grew up in Detroit. Canton is about 20 miles from Det. Det is not as bad as the media suggest. The criminals seek the criminals. There are not random selections, the incidents that occur are usually among people who know one another. So why did I move, well, Det is sterotyped when it comes to insurance and costs, it is actually cheaper to live in the surburbs than it is to live in the city. Yes, the schools are much better. People in the city seem to accept the uncleanliness. City people seem to allow the surburbans to come and mess up everything. People work for the city, but don't live in the city. Jobs are given to people who live in the surburbs. Yes, we are relocating because the job market in MI is terrible. We were considering Jacksonville, because it was voted in the top ten for jobs, houseing schools etc. But after the negative feedback from above, I may reconsider. I love Canton, and am looking for a community just like it, but with better paying surrounding job market. The houseing market looks a lot better than here as far a cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

virginia in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

if you can afford it the best place to go near jacksonville would be St augustine, Much less crime small town feel and not too unaffordable. We have been considering it. Since the home market is really good here as far a proces are going if you have good credit and can get financing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in KC in Montvale, New Jersey

75 months ago

I am relocating to JAX as soon as my house sells and I find a job. I have been in the advertising/printing business for over 14 years...I am inquiring about this profession in the JAX area? Any good agencies? Non-for-profit? Some one looking for a great leader for their graphic design team?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sportty04@aol.com

75 months ago

I do not know why you really want to come to jax. I have been here for the past 10 years and Jacksonville has changed into more of a crime city just like those up north.For example it is not any differnt here than Baltimore. The people are rud and do not know how to drive. They do not take bikers on the road seriously. If i did not buy my house and if it wasn't for the weather i would move to a more remote area like arizona. My opinioon only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

75 months ago

I'm planning on moving to the area of Jacksonville in (6)mos.. never been here only passing through traveling to Miami. I currently work in the law field such as legal assistant/paralegal. I would like to know should a person sign on with a Temp Agency or apply directly online with major companies? Also, what is the best area to live in? public schools for teenagers? churches? and hospitals? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ginger in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

Personally, I feel that those who are on here bashing Jacksonville should be ashamed of themselves. If you don't like it here, leave. I think Jacksonville is one of the greatest cities. For those who complain about the crime rates; I think we all wish we could live in a time when neighbors looked out for each other, public safety was a way of life, and justice was not a hope but an expectation. However, this just isn't the case. I work in violent crime and have found that those who complain most are the ones who have no active involvment in the community. You continue to focus on the problem without ever contributing to the solution. Everyday I get to see the worst of the worst, violent criminals with no remorse, young children who found thier mother's body, parents who lost thier child, and I still manage to wake up each day and say "Hello" to my mailman, take fresh brownies to my nieghbors, and tell those in passing to "Have a nice day". I work in every community in Jacksonville, I've been in every school speaking on awareness in the city, and throughout my life I've lived on 3 different sides of Jacksonville and enjoyed each one in it's own way. I get my nieces every other weekend and we do everything from minature golf, go-karts, bowling, skating (ice and roller), swimming at the waterpark on Beach, volleyball at the beach, and various other activities all which do not involve alcohol. I have 7 very close friends that all grew up on the "Westside" and each one of us are now successful contributing members of society. Just like in any other city, you get what you give; and apparently there are quite a few of you with a glass that's half empty. Also, if you're actively involved in the community, with the Chamber and such, it's much easier to make the conections it takes to get a good job in Jacksonville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

wishes people would just get it in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

heard the news today Ginger cuts in everypart of the city cuts in patrols cuts in funds to help those in most need i quote from you
"that those who complain most are the ones who have no active involvment in the community. You continue to focus on the problem without ever contributing to the solution" you assume those commenting here do not contribute. Ahhh but I do, but you can not help those who do not wish to be helped. a safe comminity is no longer safe when outside influences enter and attack your community. I commend you and your work. There is much to be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ginger in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

I understand what you're saying and trust me I "just get it". I've worked with the system from front to back and know of the frustrations and hassles most deal with. I'm not certain what outside influences you're talking about, if it's crime that is controllable. After divorcing, I moved back to the Westside and to my dismay found that my new home was located 3 doors down from a "drug" house. After speaking with my neighbors I discovered that this house had been terrorizing my street for about 7 years. Within three months I got all of my neighbors involved in SHADCO and thru constant calls to code enforcement, narcotics, JEA and such...that home has now been shut down and is vacant. The woman next door to me said she is finally sleeping in her own bed again instead of on the couch so she can hear if someone tries to break in. The resources are out there and like any other city in the US it takes persistence and speaking out to correct the injustices and put the criminals away. Also, I've dealt with the public long enough to be able to read each of the above paragraphs and know who the informed citizens are and who's complaining from hearsay, either from other people or the news. As for the comments from Virginia, basic steps of safety could have prevented some of those crimes. Active citizens are more informed and are aware of that. The woman who was robbed on Christmas even, apparently didn't have an alarm or didn't have it set with warning signs properly displayed, they had to have been in the home for more than a few minutes in order to get the TV as well as everything else. Also, the 15 year old should not have been walking at 9:30pm by herself, there is a 9pm curfew for minors to protect them. No one ever asks to be attacked but you shouldn't make yourself a target either. I agree there is much to be done but it needs to be said that there are lots of people out there doing it everyday, citizens who live in Jacksonville and lead perfectly healthy, safe, happy

Virginia in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

If you don't know the facts, stay quiet heres the duval county curfue information I have a teenager who works after 9:30 pm some people jeeesh and yes I also volunteer my time to many worth while causes I don't need to toot my horn though

Curfue for surrounding counties

Northeast Florida county curfews
Clay
11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday; 1 to 5 a.m. Saturday and Sunday for those 16 and younger

Duval
11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and midnight to 6 a.m. Friday and Saturday for those 17 and younger

Nassau
Considering a curfew

Putnam
None

St. Johns
None

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

73 months ago

WOW, I'm so surprised to hear the negetive comments about Jax! I moved here from the suburbs of Chicago almost 20 years ago and have loved each and every year. I loved the slow paced country feel 20 years ago and have enjoyed growing with Jax as it has expanded. I get the best of both worlds now-a slower pace small town feel but now with a small metropolitan feel too. I live in the historic area of San Marco/St. Nicholas & love the area. CLOSE TO:95, I-10, downtown, several YMCA's, great restaurants & town squares,etc. My 2 teenage sons and I have always enjoyed the many great free activities offered here: fireworks downtown(the best!), expanded Riverwalk(southbank and northbank) with it's almost 2 miles of walking along the river, lighted Boat Parade on the St. John's after Thanksgiving, Christmas Tree Lighting and free year round concerts at the Landing, free Artwalk in Hemming Plaza (downtown) each first Wednesday of the month, MOCA: free family Sundays, JR. Gate River Run,Komen Race for the Cure, free public Skate Park off Emerson(great for teens),free trolley service downtown and now at the Beach, free Mother's Day Pops Concert and free summer movies at Jax Beach Sea Walk Pavillion, and SO much more. How about the Jaguars, awesome baseball grounds (great way to spend the day outside for little $),Sport's Complex, Prime Osbourne, concerts, Zoo, numerous small Museums, Jax Ice Rink, rollerskating, bowling, biking, movies, many Malls, historic places, State Parks. MY GOSH people the list goes on. Usually, there is so much to choose from we don't know what to do. YOU DO NOT NEED A LOT OF $ TO HAVE FUN/LIVE IN JAX! My neighborhood might be considered by some to have crime - but I have never experienced it nor have my neighbors. Crime exists everywhere and Jax is no different but it has been a wonderful environment for me to raise my family in. Some schools may not be the best but we were blessed to be involved in great schools, churches, scouts, etc.JAX IS GREAT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Bellevue, Washington

73 months ago

Yes Ginger! We hated it so much that we did leave and I'm so happy we did!

My husband and I lived in Jacksonville for 4 years and I hated it more than you could possibly imagine. It was the most racist, sexist and homophobic city I'd ever lived in. I tried to like the city. I even went so far as to take a job with the Jacksonville Convention and Visitors Bureau hoping it would boost my opinon of the city. It did boost my opinion of all of the beauty that the land has to offer, but I still found the people unbearable.

As far as securing a job was concerned, I found that having a degree, years of experience and a positive attitude counted for absolutely nothing if you were Black!

It was so horrible that we left Jacksonville 8 years ago and moved to Seattle where we are VERY, VERY happy. My husband and I both have great professional jobs and own a home in a safe neighborhood with people of all races. God Bless the great State of Washington and give Florida back to the Spanish!

Ginger in Jacksonville, Florida said: Personally, I feel that those who are on here bashing Jacksonville should be ashamed of themselves. If you don't like it here, leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: Yes Ginger! We hated it so much that we did leave and I'm so happy we did!

My husband and I lived in Jacksonville for 4 years and I hated it more than you could possibly imagine. It was the most racist, sexist and homophobic city I'd ever lived in. I tried to like the city. I even went so far as to take a job with the Jacksonville Convention and Visitors Bureau hoping it would boost my opinon of the city. It did boost my opinion of all of the beauty that the land has to offer, but I still found the people unbearable.

As far as securing a job was concerned, I found that having a degree, years of experience and a positive attitude counted for absolutely nothing if you were Black!

It was so horrible that we left Jacksonville 8 years ago and moved to Seattle where we are VERY, VERY happy. My husband and I both have great professional jobs and own a home in a safe neighborhood with people of all races. God Bless the great State of Washington and give Florida back to the Spanish!

"It was the most racist, sexist and homophobic city I'd ever lived in." - I have heard alot of these complaints on this forum and others; but have never personally experienced any of this is my almost 20 years living here. We live in a diverse area of Jax and the schools and workplace are very diverse. Activities we attend are also culturally diverse. Does anyone have specific examples because I don't get it?!
I really love Jax and have found it always to be a pretty friendly city. Where are all the attitudes coming from????

J in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

Dear Mom in Jax:

From your post I'm going to assume that you are a straight, White woman that doesn't work outside of the home, that your family is not poor and that you live in an affluent suburb. If all of the above are true, it seems that you have been sheltered from the harsh realities of the city by your status. None of this is your fault so I'm not jumping on you. However, not everyone in Jax is as privilaged as you are, so they experience a very different reality.

You asked for examples? OK! I've got plenty. One specific example I have of my time there, was when I was looking for a job when I first got into town. I have a college degree, great references and lots of experience. I had an hour-long phone interview one evening with a dynamic recruiter who seemed very excited about meeting me, so she made an appointment for an interview the next morning. The next morning, I dressed in my professional best and showed up for the interview. You should have seen the look on her face when she realized that I was the same person she'd gotten along famously with the night before over the phone. She had that "OH MY GOD! YOU'RE BLACK!" look on her face. She came up with an excuse not to itnerview me. She said that she had double booked her day and that she'd call me later to reschedule the interview.She never called, but I did see that same job in the paper the next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

slar in Fernandina Beach, Florida

73 months ago

virginia in Jacksonville, Florida said: if you can afford it the best place to go near jacksonville would be St augustine, Much less crime small town feel and not too unaffordable. We have been considering it. Since the home market is really good here as far a proces are going if you have good credit and can get financing.

Try Fernandina Beach-you can live 6 miles from the beach, pay no flood insurance, and buy a brand new home in the high 100's. Straight shot down 95 to Jax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Coffeegryl in Orange Park, Florida

72 months ago

I too agree Jacksonville,Fla. does not have much of any type of night life nor does any of the decent paying companies
want to hire you it's one in a million thing's. i.e. You need tons of experiences duh! how can one gain exp if you are wanting to cross over to doing something new i.e. Healthcare field from a previous machine opr. and has education, Jax employers DO NOT appreciate employees it's all about their company and making MONEY for themselves after all it's a RIGHT to Work State so, I would advise anyone with plans to relocate here .PLS consider all other opitions ,before MOVING here. You have been WARNED!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Fernandina Beach, Florida

71 months ago

slar in Fernandina Beach, Florida said: Try Fernandina Beach-you can live 6 miles from the beach, pay no flood insurance, and buy a brand new home in the high 100's. Straight shot down 95 to Jax.

STOP!!! don't tell them our secret! There are too many who have figured it out already!(LOL)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

71 months ago

Florida used to be a cheap place to live twenty some years and drew alot of people here due to no state income tax. But alot has changed! Housing, health care, and electricity have sky-rocketed!
Jobs are very limited and pay is low! At least in North Florida we have a few months of cooler weather, but the humid months will keep you locked up for months!

It is all perspective to your life style!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sonya Barnes in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

Allan Hoffman CTC in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hello Monica --

Jacksonville, FL (Florida's First Coast) has a lot to offer you and your daughter 13. Jacksonville is a place designed with "community" in mind! The surrounding area, as well has a lot to offer. Ideal location of is the rapidly-growing southeast sector of Duval County, positions it in the heart of one of North Florida’s most desirable new residential addresses.With convenient access to U.S. 1, 9-A and I-95, residents are just minutes from Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, Downtown, the Avenues Mall, Southpoint and Jacksonville's New St Johns Town Center as well as Tinseltown.Employment opportunities abound in and around the area, and are continuing to grow daily. The new Baptist Hospital South was built in the southern area of the city nearby; and Flagler Center, with a planned interchange at I-95 and Old St. Augustine Road, is a class A office park in the making —When it’s time to play, take a short drive to sightsee around historic St. Augustine; Put on your bathing suit and hit the beach; or enjoy a night on the town in the city! You’re never far from home, and never far from fun, in Jacksonville. For your daughter the MOSH museum and beaches are great. Excellent schools both public and private abound. For healthcare Baptist Hospital and the Mayo Clinic are fine institutions. Speaking of institutions great educational institutions like the University of North Florida and Jacksonville University abound.

Where have you been, the school district is one of the worst in Florida!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Sonya Barnes in Jacksonville, Florida said: Where have you been, the school district is one of the worst in Florida!!!!

Not True at all. My son's middle school is an A rated school - 7 years in a row.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Sonya Barnes in Jacksonville, Florida said: Nothing

Sonya - It's sad that you feel Jax has nothing to offer... I can give you a long, long list and most of the choices cost 'Nothing'!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Allan Hoffman CTC in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hello Monica --Jacksonville, FL (Florida's First Coast) has a lot to offer you and your daughter 13. Jacksonville is a place designed with "community" in mind! The surrounding area, as well has a lot to offer. Ideal location of is the rapidly-growing southeast sector of Duval County, positions it in the heart of one of North Floridas most desirable new residential addresses.With convenient access to U.S. 1, 9-A and I-95, residents are just minutes from Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, Downtown, the Avenues Mall, Southpoint and Jacksonville's New St Johns Town Center as well as Tinseltown.Employment opportunities abound in and around the area, and are continuing to grow daily. The new Baptist Hospital South was built in the southern area of the city nearby; and Flagler Center, with a planned interchange at I-95 and Old St. Augustine Road, is a class A office park in the making ”When its time to play, take a short drive to sightsee around historic St. Augustine; Put on your bathing suit and hit the beach; or enjoy a night on the town in the city! Youre never far from home, and never far from fun, in Jacksonville. For your daughter the MOSH museum and beaches are great. Excellent schools both public and private abound. For healthcare Baptist Hospital and the Mayo Clinic are fine institutions. Speaking of institutions great educational institutions like the University of North Florida and Jacksonville University abound.

Allan - Thanks for this posting. Someone finally got it right about Jax. Great place to live, so much to do for little to NO money!, lots of employment opportunities, average pay which is in line with the local economy, LOW cost housing options!!, warm weather, cool winters, beaches and palm trees!, the River, you get a little bit country and a little bit city here which is great!, national football team, a growing downtown area with LOTS to do... i could go on and on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Those with the negative comments on Jax have no doubt had a bad experience here. But that happens anywhere. Anytown has those that like and appreciate it and those that don't.

I'm just glad that I found Jax 20 years ago when I moved here from the suburbs of Chicago. I came for vacation and then moved here a few months later - that's how much of a gem I thought Jax was and as it grows I love it even more!

If anyone would like to experience a different Jax - let me know and I'll reply with lists of events, activities, jobs and career paths, etc...

There is so much here that I would love for everyone to experience it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

J in Seattle, Washington said: Dear Mom in Jax:

From your post I'm going to assume that you are a straight, White woman that doesn't work outside of the home, that your family is not poor and that you live in an affluent suburb. If all of the above are true, it seems that you have been sheltered from the harsh realities of the city by your status. None of this is your fault so I'm not jumping on you. However, not everyone in Jax is as privilaged as you are, so they experience a very different reality.

J in Seattle - So, by reading my posts you gathered an opinion of me... that sounds like stereotyping. I am straight and yes, I am white... but that's about all that was right. I am divorced, work full-time but still seem to volunteer at school/church/community and enjoy life to the fullest. I live in a low to average incomed neighborhood and have had my share of struggles. I 'find a way' to have, try or experience everything! I am certainly not sheltered and have exposed myself and sons to many diverse experiences making them and I very well-rounded, well-educated and open-minded. I always joke with my sons that they have an 'international circle of friends' and they really do.

As I stated in my posts above - you do not need money to enjoy Jax's riches. You do not need to be rich or white or a stay at home mom to have a full, bountiful life here. You do, however, need to have a positive attitude and see the greatness in your surroundings.
IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT THE THINGS AROUND YOU.
Take advantage of everything this city has to offer and you will see it very differently.

If you read my earlier posts, really read them, you would not have assumed what you did. You do not have to be affluent and privilaged(which I am neither) to be elevated to a higher status in this community - you just have to be involved in it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Virginia in Jacksonville, Florida said: What you don't hear in the news. I am an insurance agent I work for one of the largest agencies in town. Example 1. Client purchases a big screen tv from walmart on Normandy blvd. Xmas eve. Client drives home. Leaves gifts purchased and goes to mothers home for Xmas eve Dinner. Thieves followed her home from walmart in the mean time wait until she leaves and kick in her front door, stealing everything including the food in the fridge , A real scrooge Xmas for this woman and her grandchildren who now have NOTHING to open for xmas. I handled her claim it broke my heart. Where does she live about 10 minutes from my home off Wilson Blvd. Crime happens everywhere no one is exempt and no I am not a angry Yankee Mr You live in Nashville guy I am a realist.The war was over years ago.

Viginia - Yes, these are horrible stories. But they are not isolated to just Jax and do not make Jax a bad place to live. As you so well stated - Crime happens everywhere. Unfortunately, you can't escape it. But, IMO, the good in Jax far outways the bad and since you cannot escape crime you might as well be warm! :)
But, seriously, those that love it - stay. Those that don't - move somewhere else where you can be happy. Life is too short!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Audrey in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina said: I'm planning on moving to the area of Jacksonville in (6)mos.. never been here only passing through traveling to Miami. I currently work in the law field such as legal assistant/paralegal. I would like to know should a person sign on with a Temp Agency or apply directly online with major companies? Also, what is the best area to live in? public schools for teenagers? churches? and hospitals? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi Audrey and Welcome to Jax!! You should have no problem finding a law office to work in as there are plenty of attorneys here. You may want to locate yourself in Mandarin in the Mandarin Middle and Mandarin High School Districts as they are 2 of the better schools in town. Housing is a little higher in Mandarin though.
Check out our schools at: www.duvalschools.org/
If you can make the Magnet Program application deadline (end of Feb) you may want to apply for a Magnet Program. For info go to: www.magnetprograms.com/ These are schools (usually in a 'not so great' neighborhood) that have a specialty program offerred to attract students from other areas. You check out the programs and schools, complete the application and then they choose the students lottery style. If chosen - your spot is guarenteed for the 4 years and you will have sibling preference in case you want your other children to also attend. I have 2 teenagers that attend public school: 1 is at MANDARIN MIDDLE; an A rated school 7 years in a row. We don't live in the district but their Dad does. My other son is at LEE HIGH;again not in our district but where he is in the top rated Engineering MAGNET program (most of the classes are college level).Their Robotics Team is also national ranked and competes globally. These choices have worked wonderfully for us. Great links: www.coj.net www.visitjacksonville.com www.downtownjacksonville.org www.myjaxchamber.com Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Audrey in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina said: I'm planning on moving to the area of Jacksonville in (6)mos.. never been here only passing through traveling to Miami. I currently work in the law field such as legal assistant/paralegal. I would like to know should a person sign on with a Temp Agency or apply directly online with major companies? Also, what is the best area to live in? public schools for teenagers? churches? and hospitals? Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Audrey - I don't know why those links didn't show up correctly - I'll try again.
www.duvalschools.org ;
www.magnetprograms.com ;
www.downtownjacksonville.org ;
www.myjaxchamber.com ;
www.coj.net ;
www.visitjacksonville.com

If these don't show up correctly, post your email address and I'll send to you directly.

71 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: Audrey -
If these don't show up correctly, post your email address and I'll send to you directly.

They just default to the first web address. Let's try this One more time!!:
www. duvalschools. org ;
www. magnetprograms. com ;
www. coj. net ;
www. visitjacksonville. com ;
www. downtownjacksonville. org ;
www. myjaxchamber. com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I've been to San Marco where you've stated that you live. There is NO WAY IN HADES (which Jacksonville resembles by the way) that San Marco is a low to moderate income neighborhood...Try middle class to higher middle class. In addition, as an African American woman, my life has been made so much richer by moving to a place where race and crime aren't issues. If you want to continue to live somplace where you have to struggle with these issues then so be it. For me, life was too short to stay there and deal with it. Plus, I wanted my children to grow up in an environment where their self worth was never up for discussion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J is for Job in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

I moved back to Jacksonville about 4 and 1/2 months ago after an 11 year hietus. The reason being to be closer with my daughter who has lived here all along. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have considered moving back even though I was growing tired of New York (after living in Vegas and Miami). I do appreciate the pace here and love the weather. The beach was an absolute DUMP 12 years ago. Riverside and San Marco areas are nice to hang out in although too expensive for a guy like me to ever live there. Traffic isn't bad compared to a lot of drive-commute cities.

From what I've experienced I agree with those that describe the job market as being poor. I'm not too optimistic. I have about 5 solid years of office admin and management experience from demanding New York positions, and that doesn't seem to mean jack squat here.

I contacted and registered with 8-10 of the top staffing agencies and had a live meeting with ONE! After 4 and 1/2 months, I still have yet to receive a call. Thank God one agency found my resume and put me into a facilities maintenence position as a temp. I have to have another part time job just to make ends meet.

I'm really at a loss for getting a decent job here. I've gone on most Jacksonville company's websites and built profiles, applied to open positions. I've applied to over a hundred positions. I take my time with a good cover letter and resume. Most jobs do seem to lie in Heathcare or working for an insurance company. But most everything else is low-paying customer service oriented.

I do like it here. I want it to work out. What sort of specific education/training would be helpful in Jacksonville's job market? I already have 2 degrees (music unfortunately), so something that wouldn't take a lot of time and money. Paralegal? Medical Tech?

I could still join the Navy I suppose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Don't try to tell Mom in Jax that San Marco is expensive! She thinks that she lives in a "low to moderate income neighborhood!" Ha!

Good Luck J is for Job. I was there for 4 years and I don't know what to tell you. The best job I ever had there was at Lutheran Social Services of Northeast Florida. Great agency that did great work and the pay (suprisingly) wasn't too bad. You might want to try non profit.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: I've been to San Marco where you've stated that you live. There is NO WAY IN HADES (which Jacksonville resembles by the way) that San Marco is a low to moderate income neighborhood...Try middle class to higher middle class. In addition, as an African American woman, my life has been made so much richer by moving to a place where race and crime aren't issues. If you want to continue to live somplace where you have to struggle with these issues then so be it. For me, life was too short to stay there and deal with it. Plus, I wanted my children to grow up in an environment where their self worth was never up for discussion.

I'm sure you had valid reasons for leaving and am glad that you are living somehwere that makes you happy!
Your knowledge of the area is slanted. In the San Marco area, yes - there are the million dollar homes (along the river side) and there are many, many, many homes priced all the way down to 50,000. It is VERY diverse. Even a block or two from the 'Square' you will find run down, tiny homes. I would say living in a 50,000 home is pretty low income. I live in the older, lower incomed area. This area is VERY diverse.

71 months ago

J is for Job in Jacksonville, Florida said: I moved back to Jacksonville about 4 and 1/2 months .

Beaches are better... if you don't like Jax Beach try Ponte Vedra Beach off Mickler. Several years ago they created an actual parking lot with showers, restrooms, etc. Very nice and not too crowded. I used to go there 15-18 yrs ago when no one knew about it. Neptune and Altlantic Beach are good too. Have you visited the Pier at Jax Beach - it's nice but again Jax Bch is a little overcrowded.
San Marco is expensive to shop and eat in but there are many little bungalows further away from the 'Square' which are still reasonable. There is one for sale now and the price was reduced many times -now down to $109,000. I always 'find a way' to do everything we want to do. If we want to eat in San Marco - we go at lunchtime to Sushi Rock where the meals are 1/2 price or go to Pizza Palace or the Loop for inexpensive meals. Then catch a movie a the little 'one-movie theater. It makes a great reasonable day out. Always can window shop too! We then usually walk down to Landon Park and walk along the River. That is the best spot to watch the sunset. I've been walking my now teenagers down to that Sunset spot for 16 years. Whichever area of Jax you want to 'hang out' in - you can find an inexpensive way to do it.
As to jobs J - try careerbuilder. com. type in jacksonville, fl and there are 1676 jobs available. You are right - there are many healthcare jobs and alot of insurance jobs. I wouldn't go through a temp service but if they found you something that's great.
What is low pay to you? everyone needs a different amount to thrive and survive. State Farm Agencies hire agents starting around $26-27,000 PLUS commision. You only need a license which you can get theough the weekend course at FCCJ. I'm in the non-profit world and the pay is 'ok' but the jobs are few and far between. What abuse your music degree to work as a church music director...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

J is for Job in Jacksonville, Florida said: I'm not too optimistic. I have about 5 solid years of office admin and management experience from demanding New York positions, and that doesn't seem to mean jack squat here.
But most everything else is low-paying customer service oriented. What sort of specific education/training would be helpful in Jacksonville's job market? I already have 2 degrees (music unfortunately), so something that wouldn't take a lot of time and money. Paralegal? Medical Tech?
I could still join the Navy I suppose.

The Navy (NAS Jax) also has many civilian jobs depending on your qualifications. Don't get discouraged - Coca-cola is hiring an account mgr but they can take months to hire or even respond as do most of the large companies. if you want the medical field try going to FCCJ for the med assist course or even the 1 year LPN course. MEd asst will start around 10-12/hr and LPN around $15-16/hr. There are so many options but it can take time and patience if you are looking for a mid to higher pay. tell me more about your skills - I'm not a staffing agentt but I know all areas of Jax and know alot about the housing and job market so MAYBE i can help you in your direction... Insurance is pretty easy to get into if you are interested and the pay is good for you - go and get your licensing and try that. If you are ok with $12/hr or so - Convergys and Citi are always hiring for their call centers... just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer T. in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

WOW...It's amazing to see the differences of opinions of this city! I'd love to hear what all the Jacksonville haters have to say about the cities they are from. I say that because I believe most of the people who have only negative comments on the city are just nostalgic and missing home. I was born in this city, and have lived here almost my whole life...I've seen the changes it has gone through, and I have visited every nook and crany and outer lying city, and I consider myself lucky! Don't underestimate my experiences elsewhere, just yet. I have lived other places for temporary periods. One thing that sets Jacksonville apart, is the diversity that we have while still maintaining small town roots. Not too many places offer beaches, rivers, lakes, museums, festivals, cultural fairs, plays, live music, art shows, wine tastings, dog parks, a sports arena and nfl team, major concerts, cruise ships -need I go on?- all in one place wihtout losing that "down home" vibe. I am a product of Duval County Public schools, and I managed to move on and get a degree and find a very lucritive job (which I love) and have friends and family here that never suffer to find things to do for fun. I think all you people who are complaining, should move to a city where you can be catered to and the stimulation you are looking for "served" to you. Because, you must simply be lazy or lack the ability to get out there and look for all the wonderful things waiting for you in this beautiful, coastal, gem of a city!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Jennifer T. in Jacksonville, Florida said: WOW...It's amazing to see the differences of opinions of this city! I'd love to hear what all the Jacksonville haters have to say about the cities they are from. I say that because I believe most of the people who have only negative comments on the city are just nostalgic and missing home. I was born in this city, and have lived here almost my whole life...I've seen the changes it has gone through, and I have visited every nook and crany and outer lying city, and I consider myself lucky! Don't underestimate my experiences elsewhere, just yet. I have lived other places for temporary periods. One thing that sets Jacksonville apart, is the diversity that we have while still maintaining small town roots. Not too many places offer beaches, rivers, lakes, museums, festivals, cultural fairs, plays, live music, art shows, wine tastings, dog parks, a sports arena and nfl team, major concerts, cruise ships -need I go on?- all in one place wihtout losing that "down home" vibe. I am a product of Duval County Public schools, and I managed to move on and get a degree and find a very lucritive job (which I love) and have friends and family here that never suffer to find things to do for fun. I think all you people who are complaining, should move to a city where you can be catered to and the stimulation you are looking for "served" to you. Because, you must simply be lazy or lack the ability to get out there and look for all the wonderful things waiting for you in this beautiful, coastal, gem of a city!

Nicely put Jennifer... Thanks!!

Allan Hoffman in Ponte Vedra, Florida

71 months ago

People just do not understand the overall value of Florida's First Coast. Here you will find miles of uncrowded white sandy beaches,Jacksonville and the Beaches are a business, resort, & residential community offering oceanfront hotels, great dining, shopping from antiques to art galleries, an eighteen-hole municipal golf course, family entertainment, festivals, concerts and much more. Those of us that VALUE Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra, Nocatee and the surrounding area including Amelia Island and St. Augustine understand value. Currently I think the entire area is on a growth pattern that leads to major improvements and a higher quality (not neccessarily more pricey) of life and community!

71 months ago

Allan Hoffman in Ponte Vedra, Florida said: People just do not understand the overall value of Florida's First Coast. Here you will find miles of uncrowded white sandy beaches,Jacksonville and the Beaches are a business, resort, & residential community offering oceanfront hotels, great dining, shopping from antiques to art galleries, an eighteen-hole municipal golf course, family entertainment, festivals, concerts and much more. Those of us that VALUE Jacksonville, Ponte Vedra, Nocatee and the surrounding area including Amelia Island and St. Augustine understand value. Currently I think the entire area is on a growth pattern that leads to major improvements and a higher quality (not neccessarily more pricey) of life and community!

Exactly!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

It was 8 years ago yesterday that my husbad and I were fortunate enough to leave that RACIST HOLE of a city that you love (and that we wasted 4 years of our life in) called Jacksonville, FL. And yes, the Northwest "serves" us with everything we need including a safe and non-racist environment, a great PUBLIC school for our child (which we don't have to pay for or bus to), great jobs (my husband's income has tripled in 8 years and mine has almost doubled), home ownership (being Black in Jacksonville, realtors wouldn't show us homes in areas that we wanted to live in) and a fantastic public transit system (you can go from one county to another for $2.50! So thanks for the advice Jennifer, but we've already taken it and you're right...We are VERY Happy! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

CJ in Seattle, Washington said: home ownership (being Black in Jacksonville, realtors wouldn't show us homes in areas that we wanted to live in)

What you are suggesting is ILLEGAL. I doubt realtors in Jax would refuse to show you a specific house... their commision is the same no matter what color the client is. They are obligated to show you any house you are interested in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.