Been out of work for a year! It's ridiculous!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Dave Stutesman in Kansas City, Missouri

73 months ago

How is a person supposed to find work when mgrs. don't want to see you as useful? I was injured last year, and everytime someone sees my resume, or application, they don't want to talk to me, or recognize that I exist. It's as if all the rules say - you can't hire him, even though I'm still capable. It used to be that people understood & they'd give you a chance to get back into circulation. Now it's like your trash. Dave.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

Dave,
I know how you feel.. I have OVER TEN YEARS worth of experience but my boss of three years FIRED ME in May. I've been searching and searching but just cannot find a job no matter how hard I try. It's been a real blow to my self-esteem and I feel like NO ONE will hire me. We have a mortgage due and I am scared to death I'm going to lose my house if I don't get a job like NOW! It hurts. Just know in this climate, you're not alone--it is really truly tough out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deborah James in Alameda, California

73 months ago

There's some really scary stuff going on in the labor market now. Years ago, I took off time to raise my family. I continued to work on a temporary basis to keep my skills up. I had an incredible time getting back into the workforce full time, although I had nearly 15 years' experience at the time.

I know a lady who always to study ART. She worked a part time job and a full time job for nearly 3 years to save her money to go back to school and get an AA degree in ART. When she was re-entering the workforce, employers acted like she had bubonic plague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Hampton, Virginia

73 months ago

It's definitely scary. I am shocked at how hard it's been for me. Years ago, I would've had no problems landing a job in a week or so! It used to be you could just give your resume, interview with someone, and if it went well, you were offered the position. Now, you have drug tests, reference checks, credit checks, background checks. etc FOR ADMIN jobs! It's unreal. I think I'd be find if I hadn't been fired. I have a sinking feeling my ex boss is giving me a bad reference. I am at a loss..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

stutes in Kansas City, Missouri

72 months ago

I think the corporate world is looking for perfection that's not really there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

stutes in Kansas City, Missouri

72 months ago

I think the corporate world is looking for perfection that's not really there. I also think a bunch of us qualified individuals with no "big deal" marks against us, should band together to form a network or protest how corp. handles people who aren't exactly perfect. I went too far trying to make myself & the corp.'s look good & I feel like I got tossed off on the side of the road like some stray dog. I guess that's how you get 'professionally treated, now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

lesslie Wilson in Baldwin, New York

72 months ago

Dave Stutesman in Kansas City, Missouri said: How is a person supposed to find work when mgrs. don't want to see you as useful? I was injured last year, and everytime someone sees my resume, or application, they don't want to talk to me, or recognize that I exist. It's as if all the rules say - you can't hire him, even though I'm still capable. It used to be that people understood & they'd give you a chance to get back into circulation. Now it's like your trash. Dave.....
David - what do you say about your injury or time away from work in your resume or interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

B St. Louis, MO in Saint Peters, Missouri

69 months ago

OUT OF WORK 3 TIMES IN 08.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tanyarobyn in London, United Kingdom

66 months ago

M in Hampton, Virginia said: It's definitely scary. I am shocked at how hard it's been for me. Years ago, I would've had no problems landing a job in a week or so! It used to be you could just give your resume, interview with someone, and if it went well, you were offered the position. Now, you have drug tests, reference checks, credit checks, background checks. etc FOR ADMIN jobs! It's unreal. I think I'd be find if I hadn't been fired. I have a sinking feeling my ex boss is giving me a bad reference. I am at a loss..

Hi "M" I sympathize, but sometimes you have to fudge a little ie. DO NOT give your previous boss as a reference. Heck countries even rig elections - why should you be held back by one vindictive person? Good luck! I scrapped the whole working for a boss thing years ago, it is not for everyone, but here is something pretty easy to try if you're interested www.tanyarobyn.ws

Sharon in Kansas City, Missouri

63 months ago

Dave Stutesman in Kansas City, Missouri said: How is a person supposed to find work when mgrs. don't want to see you as useful? I was injured last year, and everytime someone sees my resume, or application, they don't want to talk to me, or recognize that I exist. It's as if all the rules say - you can't hire him, even though I'm still capable. It used to be that people understood & they'd give you a chance to get back into circulation. Now it's like your trash. Dave.....

Totally understand what you're saying and feeling. It doesn't help with temp agencies jacking you around either, furthering your frustration and self-esteem, but all that negative, will continue to be if you let it. Its easier said than done, and believe me, I feel the same way you do, but you can't let it defeat you...Even though you want to fill a bag up with bars of soap and beat the sh*t out of people that don't hire you or temp agencies and their worthless recruits jacking around with you with their fake ads and incompetent work ethics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

b. Tolbert in Mckinney, Texas

61 months ago

Were you able to find something? Don't give up but be realistic about your opportunities! When do you start going for the lesser job?

bryansramble.wordpress.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bob vail in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

I'm in Sugar Land and starting a new company-

Couple of pennies to rub together- need help from someone out of work-part time from their home- placing Ads for me on sites like craigslist.

So if you want to work from home-and are decent at using Google Search (a bit of intelligent research)

My number is Six-Six-1,eight-one-six,zero-eight-nine-six

Bob Vail

FedUp!!! in Washington, District of Columbia

59 months ago

I've been pout of since last summer. I've tried every possible positive way to find income. I've applied to damn near every job I've come across, applied for unemployment(in which I was denied for no apparent reason). I sit in the house daily tryin' to figure out a positive way to make ends meet, but still nothin'. I'm to the point where I'm ready to get money by any means. I know I'll regret it sooner or later, but I'm in debt and have crazy bills that I've been trying to pay on, but with no income how is one expected to live? I have no family, they're not worth anything. This recession is bs... Is there anyway a person can get money without selling crack, robbing people/banks, etc.? Are there any government funding agencies that'll help a person in this situation? I feel like a convict, but even they have easier times finding employment. All suggestions are welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Sorry, that's "out of work since last summer".

Dave in Independence, Missouri

59 months ago

Dave, you've got to play the same system on them...Re-due your resume, and do not tell them you got hurt. (you are capable, remember?) Later when you have rights as an employee, your insurance can take of your problem from there.

Heather S in Wilmington, Delaware

57 months ago

Please email me - I may have a suggestion for you - Heather

FedUp!!! in Washington, District of Columbia said: I've been pout of since last summer. I've tried every possible positive way to find income. I've applied to damn near every job I've come across, applied for unemployment(in which I was denied for no apparent reason). I sit in the house daily tryin' to figure out a positive way to make ends meet, but still nothin'. I'm to the point where I'm ready to get money by any means. I know I'll regret it sooner or later, but I'm in debt and have crazy bills that I've been trying to pay on, but with no income how is one expected to live? I have no family, they're not worth anything. This recession is bs... Is there anyway a person can get money without selling crack, robbing people/banks, etc.? Are there any government funding agencies that'll help a person in this situation? I feel like a convict, but even they have easier times finding employment. All suggestions are welcome.

57 months ago

Heather S in Wilmington, Delaware said: Please email me - I may have a suggestion for you - Heather

What is your email address?

Bob in Shawnee, Kansas

57 months ago

I have been unemployed since july, my wife since August, and my son got laid off this week. I have filled out over 200 applications and my wife over 125. Our resumes are sent out hourly nationwide. I have construction qualifications and talents of 32 years most tradesmen only dream of. I have an interview for a trash company on Wednesday for 66% less than my regular wage. I feel lucky and blessed. Businesses are using economic times like this to take advantage of the labor force. If I am still working when better times arrive, the big businesses and labor unions will love me! I will be the most expensive employee they have ever seen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa_R in Buhler, Kansas

57 months ago

Bob in Shawnee, Kansas said: I have been unemployed since july, my wife since August, and my son got laid off this week. I have filled out over 200 applications and my wife over 125. Our resumes are sent out hourly nationwide. I have construction qualifications and talents of 32 years most tradesmen only dream of. I have an interview for a trash company on Wednesday for 66% less than my regular wage. I feel lucky and blessed. Businesses are using economic times like this to take advantage of the labor force. If I am still working when better times arrive, the big businesses and labor unions will love me! I will be the most expensive employee they have ever seen!

bob,

you said it yourself: big businesses. that is the key. have you read cashflow quadrant by robert kiyosaki? in a nutshell, this is what he teaches: you are either an Employee (you have a job and trade time for money) or you are Self-employed (you own a job and create money to pay bills). this is the left side of the quadrant. for these people, time is not their own, for they have no leverage. on the right side of the quadrant, you have Big business owners (who own a system and can leverage their time) and you have Investors (who make money work for them). for these people, it's all about time freedom and having choices. instead of trying to figure out how you are going to spend your 2-week vacation (or how you are going to pay the electric bill), figure out how you are going to be financially free in the next 2 or 3, or maybe 5 years, so that you can have options again. wouldn't you agree that being financially free (where your income exceeds your expenses) doesn't take $1 million a year for most folks? what if you had a system that was designed for average people? what if you had the best of everything at your disposal? what if you could help others and change people's lives? would you keep your business options open? or would you think that it was impossible? i'm curious....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HeatherSipes in Baltimore, Maryland

57 months ago

FedUp!!! in Washington, District of Columbia said: What is your email address?

heatherhammen@hotmail.com - hope to hear from you soon!

Danielle in Richmond, Texas

47 months ago

Hi Dave,

You really need a fabulous cover letter to make your introduction for you. If you need any extra help email me at danielleurban1971@yahoo.com.

Hang in there!
Danielle

kmchlstoney in Independence, Missouri

25 months ago

stutes in Kansas City, Missouri said: I think the corporate world is looking for perfection that's not really there. I also think a bunch of us qualified individuals with no "big deal" marks against us, should band together to form a network or protest how corp. handles people who aren't exactly perfect. I went too far trying to make myself & the corp.'s look good & I feel like I got tossed off on the side of the road like some stray dog. I guess that's how you get 'professionally treated, now.

try starting your own corporation of tossed off the side of the road people....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.