Why aren't companies hiring people over 50?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Debsk47 in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

I am of the over 50 crowd who was laid off one year ago. I have excellent skills in a medical front office setting, from billing to office management. I have taught medical billing and have worked for an excellent software company doing support and training. However, now I cannot get a job doing simple medical billing or customer service. I believe a lot of it is because I'm over 50. The same holds true for husband who has been out of work for three long years. What are people supposed to do?? Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Goldngirl in Sylmar, California

39 months ago

You may need to look outside Vegas. Lots of jobs for medical...

Hopefully things are getting better....good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

oliveskid in Orange, California

29 months ago

I agree with Golndgirl. You may need to look outside of Vegas. I know that California has a lot of jobs that you would be able to snag because of your experience.

Sadly, I think you may be right about companies not hiring over 50 age group. I was told it may have something to do with the starting salary & most importantly the health risk situation. But, not everyone over 50 is sickly or on their deathbed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

oliveskid in Orange, California said: I agree with Golndgirl. You may need to look outside of Vegas. I know that California has a lot of jobs that you would be able to snag because of your experience.

Sadly, I think you may be right about companies not hiring over 50 age group. I was told it may have something to do with the starting salary & most importantly the health risk situation. But, not everyone over 50 is sickly or on their deathbed.

Companies don't buy individual health insurance policies. They have to buy group policies and its cheaper if the "group" still has pimples. They are less likely to need knee and hip replacement anytime soon.

Until we can stop equating health insurance with employment, age discrimination will continue - even if you are that 98 year old who can run 20 miles a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Office Spec in North Las Vegas, Nevada

28 months ago

Debsk47 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am of the over 50 crowd who was laid off one year ago. I have excellent skills in a medical front office setting, from billing to office management. I have taught medical billing and have worked for an excellent software company doing support and training. However, now I cannot get a job doing simple medical billing or customer service. I believe a lot of it is because I'm over 50. The same holds true for husband who has been out of work for three long years. What are people supposed to do?? Any suggestions?

In the same boat, they dont want to pay for the Experience, they want the cheap labor. Its about the money in there pocket

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Medical Office Spec in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: In the same boat, they dont want to pay for the Experience, they want the cheap labor. Its about the money in there pocket

Anytime they say to me "You're overqualified", I say "I am over 50, I will always be "overqualified".

The look on their faces is just priceless.

The big problem and its one that has been around even back when you HAD that good job is that, you are now more expensive to insure. Plain and simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ready4u58 in Sacramento, California

28 months ago

Yeah that "overqualified" is an overused bur convenient excuse to avoid saying youre too old, skilled, experineced and mainly, too intimidating. You might know more than I do as your boss and potentially threaten my position. And now that job seekers significantly outnumber employers, theyre getting persnickety about hiring or training. And you better walk in with your 'expert-in-all-skills' hat on to qualify as a mere warehouse worker thesed days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

Ready4u58 in Sacramento, California said: Yeah that "overqualified" is an overused bur convenient excuse to avoid saying youre too old, skilled, experineced and mainly, too intimidating. You might know more than I do as your boss and potentially threaten my position. And now that job seekers significantly outnumber employers, theyre getting persnickety about hiring or training. And you better walk in with your 'expert-in-all-skills' hat on to qualify as a mere warehouse worker thesed days.

You need an MBA to work in the mailroom now. Its a buyer's market. lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

coronado_minerva53@live.com.mx in Saltillo, Mexico

27 months ago

I AM OVER 50. I NEED WORK. I AM STEWARD, DISHWASHER.CLEANER AND I KNOW SOM OF P.C...COULD I???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Clueless in Columbus in Columbus, Ohio

16 months ago

Today, I had three jobs for which I applied and was told I did not meat the 3 to 5 years experience requirement. If they had put that in there job description, I would never have applied as I know that I am too old for what they are looking for. But here is the thing, I have been doing consulting work on and off as I find engagements. It amazes me that I am brought in to teach executives how to do their jobs. More and more of the managers I meet do not have the experience or skill set to resolve their companies major issues. And when I lay it all out for them in nice neat graphs and sound bites, they go "Oh, we never realized that was the root cause of the problem. Now, how do we fix it?" And most of the time, the root cause is a result of ignorance and the solution is obvious to me due to having encounter similar situations throughout my 30+ years of work experience. I'm tired of being told I don't qualify for a job but am hired to clean up the messes of those much younger and inexperienced. And the expense to these companies for hiring the inexperienced is astronomical because when they make mistakes they are dozies to clean up and costly. Yet, corporate America would rather save on health insurance and dole out astronomical sums to clean up costly mistakes by those who are not experienced enough to know what needs to be done and how to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

missgg in Ann Arbor, Michigan

1 month ago

I have a masters degree in health and I am in the exact boat you are in. I live in Michigan. No matter where you go, employers are discriminating against people who are over 50, but yet dependable and really enjoy working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Experienced in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

13 days ago

My position was eliminated back in January and I have applied for well over a hundred jobs. I've only had 3 interviews and I felt like I was just a check box to get through their interview process when they knew who they were going to hire all along. "It looks good to interview someone over 50", even through you know, your not even going to consider them. They don't even take the time to tell you didn't get the potion. I've had numerous discussions with Head-Hunters promising they will find me something even if I have to start all over again and then not hear from them every again, 'thanks for the fee coffee". Also, I feel there is this underlying assumption that since you are over 50 that you probably have enough money to go ahead and retire early. For 90% of us, I'm sure that's not the case. Something needs to be done. Until the skilled/educated 50 + start standing up for ourselves nothing will change. Or it will take 10 years for the companies to relaize their poor discussion results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Monticello, New York

13 days ago

Mr Experienced in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: My position was eliminated back in January and I have applied for well over a hundred jobs. I've only had 3 interviews and I felt like I was just a check box to get through their interview process when they knew who they were going to hire all along. "It looks good to interview someone over 50", even through you know, your not even going to consider them. They don't even take the time to tell you didn't get the potion. I've had numerous discussions with Head-Hunters promising they will find me something even if I have to start all over again and then not hear from them every again, 'thanks for the fee coffee". Also, I feel there is this underlying assumption that since you are over 50 that you probably have enough money to go ahead and retire early. For 90% of us, I'm sure that's not the case. Something needs to be done. Until the skilled/educated 50 + start standing up for ourselves nothing will change. Or it will take 10 years for the companies to relaize their poor discussion results.

become a politician. you will be able to work to 80 then with no problem!

i'm in my forties and i see it now with age discrim.

joe in Monticello, New York

13 days ago

Mr Experienced in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: My position was eliminated back in January and I have applied for well over a hundred jobs. I've only had 3 interviews and I felt like I was just a check box to get through their interview process when they knew who they were going to hire all along. "It looks good to interview someone over 50", even through you know, your not even going to consider them. They don't even take the time to tell you didn't get the potion. I've had numerous discussions with Head-Hunters promising they will find me something even if I have to start all over again and then not hear from them every again, 'thanks for the fee coffee". Also, I feel there is this underlying assumption that since you are over 50 that you probably have enough money to go ahead and retire early. For 90% of us, I'm sure that's not the case. Something needs to be done. Until the skilled/educated 50 + start standing up for ourselves nothing will change. Or it will take 10 years for the companies to relaize their poor discussion results.

challenge the twenty something behind the desk to a push up contest

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona

13 days ago

How do you propose the "skilled/educated 50+" start standing up for themselves?
How do you plan to do this?
Protest with signs?
Sign petitions?
Write letters?
I don't think any of that will work.

The employers know they have the upper hand with power.

No one wants to unionize. If everyone of every age would form a collective power of labor, there would be some power.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

12 days ago

So what's the plan? And don't say write your Congressman - you sound like every other ol' geezer that suddenly finds themselves unemployed.

12 days ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: So what's the plan? And don't say write your Congressman - you sound like every other ol' geezer that suddenly finds themselves unemployed.

Yeah, writing legislators is just a waste of time. They don't read them. Their staffs just send you a form letter back telling you if you have an issue to write to them, which you already did.

They really don't care. They all know they will get elected if they have enough money, not votes.

12 days ago

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona said: They really don't care. They all know they will get elected if they have enough money, not votes.

My father use to say, "There is the ballot vote and then there is the dollar vote. Don't confuse the two".

My father never voted in his life. LOL!

12 days ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: My father use to say, "There is the ballot vote and then there is the dollar vote. Don't confuse the two".

My father never voted in his life. LOL!

They have a blind eye to the job market.
They count any job as a job, whether it's part time, underemployment, no benefits, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 days ago

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona said: They have a blind eye to the job market.
They count any job as a job, whether it's part time, underemployment, no benefits, etc.

I have a relative in law enforcement and he says that prisons are a growth industry. We have 2 million people in prison and at a cost of 50K per year per inmate. Its big business.

12 days ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I have a relative in law enforcement and he says that prisons are a growth industry. We have 2 million people in prison and at a cost of 50K per year per inmate. Its big business.

Yeah, a lot of them now are run by private businesses. Think of that one, they aren't going to help a wrongly convicted person if they can keep them there and make money off them. It's rather scary. I bet the mentality is very much like the factory farms, where they force animals to stand in stalls all day long and just get fat. Horrible. They give them very little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.