where can felons get hired

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

juliacarpio in Alhambra, California

58 months ago

I have worked all my life and am one of the few that feels pride in earning a living. I have a felony record, I am 50 years old with a lot of skills but can not find a job due to my record. Where can I go to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (425) / No (82) Reply - Report abuse

devaniel adams in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

devaniel adams in Los Angeles, California said: i'm trying to get into this school that call american institute of technology,inc. truck driver training. i will like to know once's i finished the training will you hire me.

the staff at AIT said for me to find a truck driving job that will hire me at the end of my training before they will let me in school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

devaniel adams in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

I,M trying to get into thats call AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY,Inc. truck driving training. the staff their said i must find a job before i could get in. my question is will your company hire me at the end of my training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Erin at CCS in Anaheim, California

55 months ago

It sounds like the school is requiring a pre-hire because of his record. It is a good thing....sounds like the school is looking out for his best interest, instead of just taking his money. Most trucking companies right now will not look at anyone with a felony, some will only require 10 years back. For the most part, it is difficult with the big carriers.

I would look into smaller trucking companies that maybe don't have such strict requirements. Also the OC Public Defenders office has a New Leaf Program (for OC residents) to help legally clear up felonies for the purposes of employment etc.. You may want to check to see if LA has something similar.

And if you really, really, really want to spend money on the program without assurance you will have a job - ask the school if you can sign a placement waiver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

54 months ago

juliacarpio in Alhambra, California said: I have worked all my life and am one of the few that feels pride in earning a living. I have a felony record, I am 50 years old with a lot of skills but can not find a job due to my record. Where can I go to get a job?

You pretty much are screwed. I have two degrees and cannot find a job (anywhere) because of bad credit and lack of references. I couldn't even imagine how someone with a felony especially recently would be able to find a job anywhere. Even temp agencies are doing credit & background checks BEFORE submitting your resume to a client. I found out today that I am ineligible for any assignments whatsoever with Robert Half because of my 'adverse credit profile'.

It doesn't matter if you have alot of skills or what degrees, certifications or credentials you have. What determines whether or not one finds a job (ANY JOB) is their background check (that all companies now do), their credit & what 'others' are saying about them off the record (employers will use linked in & facebook to dig up as much as your past and talk to as many people who may know you as possible)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Bridget in Tustin, California said: Is this customary that they require you to have a job lined up before accepting you into the school? It doesn't sound right to me. I have worked in a field where vocational training was provided to various individuals and never did I encounter a situation in which the criteria for acceptance into the school was predicated on having a job for which the prospective student is not even trained . . . lined up. I think you should find out if you are being singled out or if this is a legitimate requirement that is applied to all prospective students.

They (the schools) assume that with 90% EMPLOYMENT that finding a suitable job is a piece of cake for anyone. They like everyone else think there is something wrong with you if you are unemployed. Like someone above said, we live in a very very unforgiving society where being unemployed or having bad credit will ruin your life for years to come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Ruddy in Lake Elsinore, California

47 months ago

juliacarpio in Alhambra, California said: I have worked all my life and am one of the few that feels pride in earning a living. I have a felony record, I am 50 years old with a lot of skills but can not find a job due to my record. Where can I go to get a job?
Dear JuliaCarpio: How old is your felony conviction? If it's over 10 years old most background checks won't uncover it. As far as employment is concerned, honesty is NOT the best policy - it is economic suicide. Never disclose your criminal background under any circumstances and forget about jobs that require LiveScan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ministertillman in Covina, California

43 months ago

I humbly advise any felon, if you are eligible to receive funds from the government,take some money and look into opening your own business and make your own money and hire yourself. Pray and ask God to open doors and make ways! God bless you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

veronica turner in Norwalk, California

40 months ago

veronica turner in Los Angeles, California said: why do you put it out there like that??????? that you do hire FELONS???????????????????? I can find on jobs. And im out everyday looking for work. WOW

I too am out each and every day, Monday thru Friday and would be "out there"in cyber space looking for work on Saturdays and Sundays also if I had a computer . I can always find an internet hookup somewhere, coffee shop, restaurant etc.. I have been at this for two long, hard, grueling years. Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to get out of bed let alone go out the door to the local EDD. You are not alone out here and I can now see that I am not either. God speed and good luck.

billys1
ps
if you want to email me I will write back, if not then no pressure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billys1 in Norwalk, California

40 months ago

I too am out each and every day, Monday thru Friday and would be "out there"in cyber space looking for work on Saturdays and Sundays also if I had a computer . I can always find an internet hookup somewhere, coffee shop, restaurant etc.. I have been at this for two long, hard, grueling years. Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to get out of bed let alone go out the door to the local EDD. You are not alone out here and I can now see that I am not either. God speed and good luck.

billys1
ps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

billys1 in Anaheim--not Norwalk in Norwalk, California

40 months ago

I am not in Norwalk I am in Anaheim, California, and I am a guy that goes by billys1 (I guess we all know what eh?). Sorry about any mix up. I too am out each and every day, Monday thru Friday and would be "out there"in cyber space looking for work on Saturdays and Sundays also if I had a computer . I can always find an internet hookup somewhere, coffee shop, restaurant etc.. I have been at this for two long, hard, grueling years. Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to get out of bed let alone go out the door to the local EDD. You are not alone out here and I can now see that I am not either. God speed and good luck.

billys1
ps

Some of us do not have the resouraces to start our own company. I agree with you that for ourselves and our families it would be a lot easier all around if we could. WHATS THIS ABOUT STATE MONIES JUST LYING AROUND FOR US, HMM?? NEED TO KNOW, OK? Are there any other of us guys and or gals out here in Anaheim? Thank you fellowship person for replying, it gets lonly out here after you make a mistake, heck I never had worse than a speeding ticket and then this. Lost everything but faith in God, wife almost left me flat out cold. Gods love is bringing her back to me slowly but surely. PLEASE KEEP EMAILING ME! I lost job, profession, most of the family and friends. My wife is the rock I stand on to speak to God. I need work to help make things some easier for her and then us.
Gods peace and love be with you always,
billys1
anbhow1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billys1 in Anaheim--not Norwalk in Norwalk, California

40 months ago

I am not in Norwalk I am in Anaheim, California, and I am a guy that goes by billys1 (I guess we all know what eh?). Sorry about any mix up. I too am out each and every day, Monday thru Friday and would be "out there"in cyber space looking for work on Saturdays and Sundays also if I had a computer . I can always find an internet hookup somewhere, coffee shop, restaurant etc.. I have been at this for two long, hard, grueling years. Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to get out of bed let alone go out the door to the local EDD. You are not alone out here and I can now see that I am not either. God speed and good luck.

billys1
ps

Some of us do not have the resouraces to start our own company. I agree with you that for ourselves and our families it would be a lot easier all around if we could. WHATS THIS ABOUT STATE MONIES JUST LYING AROUND FOR US, HMM?? NEED TO KNOW, OK? Are there any other of us guys and or gals out here in Anaheim? Thank you fellowship person for replying, it gets lonly out here after you make a mistake, heck I never had worse than a speeding ticket and then this. Lost everything but faith in God, wife almost left me flat out cold. Gods love is bringing her back to me slowly but surely. PLEASE KEEP EMAILING ME! I lost job, profession, most of the family and friends. My wife is the rock I stand on to speak to God. I need work to help make things some easier for her and then us.
Gods peace and love be with you always,
billys1
anbhow1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

flaws217@yahoo.com in Marietta, Georgia

40 months ago

FELONS LOOKING ACTIVELY FOR WORK SERVICES (FLAWS) is an organization helping individuals with felony charges be placed in jobs upon their release from jail or prison. If I have spoken with you or have sent you information, you must send me your application in order to be considered for job placement. I need your information to process and send to hiring managers. Please send to "flaws217@yahoo.com". Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billys1 in Anaheim, California

40 months ago

flaws217@yahoo.com in Marietta, Georgia said: FELONS LOOKING ACTIVELY FOR WORK SERVICES (FLAWS) is an organization helping individuals with felony charges be placed in jobs upon their release from jail or prison. If I have spoken with you or have sent you information, you must send me your application in order to be considered for job placement. I need your information to process and send to hiring managers. Please send to "flaws217@yahoo.com". Thank you.

How do I or any of us know we can trust you after all we have been severly brunt haven't we?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

flaws217@yahoo.com in Marietta, Georgia

40 months ago

i understand how you feel about that...... send me an email to flaws217@yahoo.com and I will give you my number so that we can talk. I look forward to speaking with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan Stasher in Cerritos, California

39 months ago

I have changed my lifestyle with hopes of being able to start a career. I graduated from University of Phoenix with a Bachelor in Human Service Management in April of 2010 and I am presently working on a Masters in Health Care Administration in Gerontology' I have not even been able to get an interview seen I obtained my degree. I really would like to work with homeless or ex-felons and drug addicts because I would like to be an inspiration and give hope from my success but that's hard to do when I can't even get a job!

cyndycyn1965 in Hawthorne, California

31 months ago

@flaws217; you're in Georgia?? How in the world are you going to help someone in California get a job?? JUST CURIOUS
To all of you, please keep the faith!! There are agencies and different warehouses that hire felons in Los Angeles County, you just have to keep looking!! Try these agencies; Volt Staffing, Select Staffing, Adecco, Kelly Services. Also Google staffing agencies in LA County, God bless you all :o )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

@Susan, have you tried applying with Alcohol and Drug Rehabs? Try BHS; Behavioral Health Services Inc
www.bhs-inc.org

Behavioral Health Services Inc
www.bhs-inc.org

Behavioral Health Services Inc
www.bhs-inc.org

I HOPE THIS HELPS :O )

31 months ago

@Susan, I had the addresses and phone numbers attached but it would not let me submit it, hence the same email address 3 times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyndycyn1965 in Lynwood, California

30 months ago

cyndycyn1965 in Hawthorne, California said: @Susan, I had the addresses and phone numbers attached but it would not let me submit it, hence the same email address 3 times.

I am actually doing my internship at one of BHS facilities but so far no word of them taking me on as an employee. My boyfriend tells me to stick with it and it will pay off but other employees tell me to look elsewhere for actual employment because they probably won't hire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyndycyn1965 in Hawthorne, California in Compton, California

30 months ago

Thanks anyway. I know God has not let me come this far for nothing. I have a bachelor's in Human Service Management and a Master's in Health Care Administration in Gerontology. I am starting a master's program in Marriage and Family Therapy in April. I am not giving up!

JamesB in Tempe, Arizona

30 months ago

Probably too late to matter for Devaniel, but AIT requires a pre-hire from at least one potential employer (who is under no obligation to actually HIRE you), bexause that potential employer will NOT give you a pre-hire letter unless you meet minimum criteria. That criteria depends on the company. If you have a felony, there are several trucking companies, both OTR and olifield, that WILL hire in spite of some felonies. for the most part non-violent, or older than 5-10 years. Since you (or the guy reading this today) is thinking about going into trucking, you should already know there are a LOT of sites that advertise the hiring criteria to which you can compare yourself, and ask THEM for pre-hire letters. Ask many, interview as many times (by phone) as it takes to get a letter, and then, if you get into AIT (or another PTDI CDL school, start pinging EVERY potential employer, other than the one who gave you the pre-hire letter. If you're serious, relentless, and diligent, there is a good chance using AIT as your springboard. I KNOW about AIT and the industry from personal experience, not hearsay.

c.tisdale in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

I have my CDL A, with a car DUI. Have 4 years driving experience. Need a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JamesB in Tempe, Arizona

30 months ago

At a minimum, for virtually every OTR company, DUIs have to be three years old. If your experience is relatively recent, you should be able to find local or regional work if you can't find an OTR Co. that will take you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Taye in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

I am 28 years old and i got a check fraud felony charge 7 years ago...i just Graduate with a degree ....i want to be a cartoonist and a animator at Disney that is my dream. But for right now I am looking for a job i have two girls i want to be a good father luckily their mothers are understanding. While i was in school i had a Gi bill and i sent money to the kids that way...but now that i graduate this past June 2013 there is no more money I am afraid that i will find no Job and i fear i will be like the many men and women who are homeless today holding up a sign and i never want to become that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mario maeza

14 months ago

Any felons looking for work should utilize the resources HomeBoy industries may provide. Jobs not Jails in Los Angeles. Temp. Agencies will hire felons but working conditions will be bad as well as your pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lakewoodlynda in Long Beach, California

14 months ago

I am currently seeking employment and have a recent felony background. I'm from San Diego, but I live in Long Beach now. I have excellent office skills and type 60 wpm. In San Diego, I knew where the felony friendly companies were that hire. Does anyone know what companies, in the Lakewood/Long Beach Ca area, that give second chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Iana in Lisbon, Portugal

13 months ago

Hi! There is a resourse you can search for job position (the interesting one in Los Angeles). los-angeles.localmart.com/jobs/ that's it.
Create also your profile at the professional network (Linkedin, for instance)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dvega951 in Perris, California

8 months ago

i Would Try Looking For Online Marketing Work.
It Has Worked For Me!
Check out MyBlog
www.ThetattedBlogger.com
And I Signed Up For Online Work Here CAJobsOnline.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.