Applied to over a hundred places - can't get a break.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Jobless in LA in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

I'm a college grad, but I'm not that picky. It can be part time or full time. I've applied to a ton of retail joints for entry level positions, like Foot Locker, Games Workshop, Target, Best Buy, K-Mart, Costco, Barnes and Noble, Enterprise, Hulu, book keeping, tutoring, you name it.

I knew it was tough to find a gig, but I didn't know it was this bad. All these places required me to take an hour or two to fill out ridiculously long applications and questionaires, and I think maybe two had the decency to reply with, "Sorry, but thanks for applying." The rest didn't even bother to respond, let alone grant an interview.

It's gotten so bad, I would actually volunteer to work for free, so the management can get to know me. I'm not a bad guy. I can pass a drug test and a background check, no problem.

Recently, I took the Census test and scored 25/28. Finally, an equal opportunity employer who actually selects candidates based on results, as opposed to references and political ties. A week later, I received a phone call, but I didn't find out for an hour. When I returned the call, they had already filled the position. Figures.

I don't have that much experience with employment, but I have a ton of experience with volunteer work. Unfortunately, employers don't seem to care about volunteer work. They just wanna know how much you used to get paid.

Open to suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

A Llama in Burbank, California

41 months ago

Are you following up with your employeers or it's corporate office with a call or e-mail. Sometimes it rings the right bell to bring up your application. Shows some initiative and might get the right attention to get you moving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.