billing and coding careers/schooling

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

anne01 in midwest

54 months ago

Hello, all.

I am looking for a job in the Louisville area and have been having it pretty rough the last couple of years. I have a B.A. from U of L right now and am considering getting training as a medical biller/coder. Are there any schools that offer a certificate in the program for a reasonable fee that will guarantee you a job upon graduation?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Move in Dayton, Ohio

54 months ago

Move away from Louisville It is a dying city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim, CPC in West Jordan, Utah

54 months ago

anne01 in midwest said: Hello, all.

I am looking for a job in the Louisville area and have been having it pretty rough the last couple of years. I have a B.A. from U of L right now and am considering getting training as a medical biller/coder. Are there any schools that offer a certificate in the program for a reasonable fee that will guarantee you a job upon graduation?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

i grew up in louisville, sad to hear it is a dying city. i can tell you this, you are not going to find a program that will guarantee you a job, especially not a certificate program. i got my certificate from a community college in IL, i had to work as a medical receptionist for a year before I found a coding job. It's a hard to break into this field, but once you do, it's great.

Move in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Doesn't Sullivan University offer a program in medical coding and billing? I think they have Lifetime Job Assistance. But Sullivan is pretty expensive, like nearly $15,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Move in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

I feel for you anne01, because I have a B.A. from UofL too, and it has gotten me nowhere as far as looking for a job. I am getting more job offers from out of the state then in Louisville. I keep getting that I am overqualified. I don't understand how someone like me can be overqualified and unwanted, especially in the government sector, where there are government employees who don't do their jobs properly. Most are there because they had the right connections, it can't be because they have any skills or education. I went to a government ran organization and found people dancing to B96.5, playing games on their computer, sleeping, and becoming hostile when they were forced to do their jobs. And they wonder why they can't keep educated people in this city.

anne01 in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

Move: Yes, I noticed the steep pricetag of Sullivan's Billing & Coding certificate. Wow. And of the job listings I've seen, many of them that require the certificate and experience are only temporary jobs that don't pay very well. I guess I'll just have to find something else to get into.

I've applied for some jobs out of state but haven't received any offers. My major was English and minor was Sociology at U of L. I got a temporary job with the Census Bureau that starts next week, but it's not permenant and doesn't pay benefits. I'm taking it anyway because I do need the experience and the money.

I have heard stories about government employees doing just as you have described. It's awful. :( I'm actaully a hard worker and a good employee that would be a great fit anyplace, but no one will hire me at most jobs because I'm either under or overqualified or I'm not a friend or relative of someone who works for said company, even though there are a lot of office jobs I could do very well.

This city really is on the decline and it's just plain awful. If I had more money I would relocate, but I'm going to have to just use the money from the job I'm about ready to start next week to start saving up. I just don't have the money to move right now.

Move in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Good luck, anne01. It angers me to hear stories like yours.

Move in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

And stores like mine. And all of my friends. LOL. If you can, try to save up and get out of Louisville. That's what I am doing. I don't see things looking up for Louisville. Everything here is falling apart, shutting down, moving away. Forgive me if I am not excited about the new stadium or arena or whatever downtown. Go CARDS my ass.

anne01 in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

Move: Considering how much was spent on that arena when Freedom Hall was already a great place to play U of L's basketball games, I see it as a waste. If Louisville's idea of revitalizing downtown is building an arena, a few restuarants, and a few hotels, that isn't really going to cut it. And the only jobs that are going to come out of it are little $8.00-$10.00 an hour jobs. That's the sad thing.

Even the job I'm starting next week isn't great, but at around $13.00 an hour even though it is only temporary, it's far better than any other job I've found and I've been doing lots of part-time work the last three years while I've been job searching.

I'm going to save up what I can. If you know of any job openings in any other states, please make a post regarding those positions.

I don't think you should have to know someone to get a simple office job. There's something very wrong with that. The people that get the office jobs don't know what they're doing and only got the job just because they knew someone and it bothers me to see unqualified people in those positions while people like you and myself who are qualified are never even considered.

Move in Jeffersonville, Indiana

54 months ago

Have you tried the Career Development center at UofL? LOL. They are so useless. At least, they were for me. I mean, I suppose it's better than nothing, but everything they told me could be googled.

anne01 in midwest

54 months ago

No Move, but I can imagine how useless they are. I have tried U of L's career page and searched for jobs on their career website, but I never could find anything. I've also applied for jobs at U of L and never got any interviews or anything. I went to a job fair once sponsored by Job News and every employer I met told me to go online to apply for their jobs and were not taking resumes. I could have applied at home. =/

I applied for a two-month temporary assignment at a non-for profit a few weeks back online and the person interviewed me, then had me take a data entry test where I filled out one little sheet of data (it was relatively easy). Then I filled out an application and two background check forms for both here and Indiana and was told I'd hear back in a week. A week passed and I never heard from them again. Very disappointing.

I start my new job tomorrow with the census, so at least I'll have work for the next ten months. Hopefully I might find something within the federal government after being there for awhile.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.