Best companies to work for in Louisville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Louisville? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Louisville, Kentucky

70 months ago

Most of the companies in Louisville are cutting staff leaving a lot of people competing for the jobs that are left. Meanwhile most these people are competing for jobs that pay anywhere between 8 and 12 dollars an hour. Which might keep a roof over your head but not much more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

williamsmith40258 in Louisville, Kentucky

65 months ago

Paper Box and Jim, do yourself a favor and try to find a job outside of Louisville. The economy of Louisville has been crumbling for many years due to high taxes, outsourcing, regulation, and the importation of a lot of service jobs and low wage occupations. Do yourself a favor and escape as soon as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ditch jerry in Knoxville, Tennessee

63 months ago

ditto ditto ditto!!! I graduated from UK in the mid nineties with a finance degree and have NEVER been able to find gainfull employment in Louisville. Ive had to live in metro areas (Dallas and Tampa)where white collar jobs and economic growth were happening. Louisville has had job and wage shrinkage for years and years. Adding 10,000 low paying UPS jobs while GE, Ford, YUM, Brown Forman and others shrink means a future of negative tax growth, brain drain and eventually a city that is the Detroit of the South!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Louisville, Kentucky

61 months ago

I am a homeless college graduate in Louisville, Kentucky with no job prospects in sight. I graduated from the University of Louisville in May. Imagine the stress of trying to stay above water while paying for expensive seizure medication for your little brother, taking 7 college courses and trying to graduate on time. I have been hitting the pavement looking for a job (like $7 an hour jobs, I am not picky) since last year while I was still in school, even willing to volunteer so that I can gain experience in the field I earned a degree in and prove myself. NOTHING! People won't even let you volunteer. There aren't any resources for homeless people either. Wayside Christain Mission, Volunteers of America and Salvation Army are jokes, and they treat you really bad. Just call and inquire about their services, you would think you were calling and asking to borrow 1 million dollars. I am ashamed of my situation. But I don't need to be disrespected, I need hope. And I want to get back on my feet (I hate asking people for help or seeking shelter), but I don't know how without stability or a stable income. Turning to family is not an option. So instead of being treated like crap and dealing with peoples nastiness, I have been living out of my car (even in the gruesome dangerous summer heat) for the past 3 months, sometimes having the luxury of going to a cheap run down crime infested motel every now and then, selling plasma for gas money and food. It doesn't even matter that I am putting my life in danger, I welcome death at this point.

So I guess the reason I am saying all of this is.... is well, if you think your situation is bad, just look at mine. Be thankful for what you have. And by all means, go to another city. Louisville sucks. As soon I get the money, I am going on faith and moving to another city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ljohnson2@insightbb.com in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

i agree with comments, pertaining to jobs in louisville, i'm also looking for a job prn.or full time. u put ur app in on the computer say for instance u.p.s. asking for package handlers.i have applied for that with no responcs. also i have 19 yrs. exp. in medical field. & chihd care, i agree with other comments louisville is no place to be, if ur unemployed ,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ljohnson2@insightbb.com in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MBAFear in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

To all - The most troublesome part of all this is I looked up on yahoo "the best 50 companies to work for in Louisville, KY" and can you believe this is what was first. Not places to work but rather reasons to get the hell out of here. I have lived here my whole life and the fear of leaving is strong but even with a newly acquired MBA I know my head is on the chopping block as my employer put it "we have to lay off those we feel have the best chance at getting other employment" sadly enough that is me as my qualifications to do my job far exceed the needs. What is not being talked about is that I don't care how over qualified I am that at least I can still have a job. Each day I watch TV, apply on-line, follow-up in person, I have an MBA and experience I know how this needs to work, and still live in fear not for if its going to happen to me but rather when. How is this anyway for a person to live educated or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

ljohnson2@insightbb.com in Louisville, Kentucky said: i agree with comments, pertaining to jobs in louisville, i'm also looking for a job prn.or full time. u put ur app in on the computer say for instance u.p.s. asking for package handlers.i have applied for that with no responcs. also i have 19 yrs. exp. in medical field. & chihd care, i agree with other comments louisville is no place to be, if ur unemployed ,

Are you experienced in the medical field and out of work? What experience do you have, what type of employment in the medical field are you looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JTinlou in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

I also am a Louisville MBA grad, 10 years in marketing, 8 in management, and no luck in the 2 years I've been looking...the KY OET advised me that I should actually take the MBA off my resume bc not only is it not helping me find a job, it may actually be hindering my search because employers may "assume Icom with an MBA price tag." I guess the joke's on me- I took an entry level position with one of the city's "top employers", with a salary reduction while I was in undergraduate school bc I didn't have a degree...little did I know that the company would be restruring, with no opportunity for advancement in other departments, and salary frozen in this one 3 years! At this point I'd be happy with Bachelor's degree level salary, but am growing in debt trying to make minimum payments on the education I never knew I wouldn't be able to afford. Oh, I also have 6 years in Healthcare/Insurance and am trying desparately to get out of working for Health Insurance companies, as the Healthcare Reform scare is what has caused my current predicament with this employer. Any advice?

niharika vaish in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

I have been here in Louisville Kentucky for over one and a half year. It's a very tough place to find an employment. There are not too many potential employers in Louisville. I was waiting for the start of 2010 hoping that the job market would improve but I'm yet to see that. I have an experience in Software Quality Assurance and now ASTQB certified. If anybody comes across QA opening in Louisville posted on job site or if there is requirement in their own company please contact me directly.

God Bless all the job seekers of Louisville !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

robert in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

its just a shame that we cant vote in someone who really is in it for the people real jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

DRB9701 in Hurst, Texas

53 months ago

Come to Texas!!!
After being a lifelong KY resident, I loaded up my car and came to Texas! This place is overflowing with opportunity. The wages are higher and the cost of living is lower and everyone is so nice! Oh, and they do not take state taxes out of your check.
I hope that you are okay. You are to be commended for earning your degree and working so hard to care for yourself and your family.
:)

DRB9701 in Hurst, Texas

53 months ago

Oops- I meant to reply to RJ.
But anyone who can get out of Louisville and KY should get out and come to Texas. KY will always be special to me, but the good life is here in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

DRB9701 in Hurst, Texas said: Come to Texas!!!
After being a lifelong KY resident, I loaded up my car and came to Texas! This place is overflowing with opportunity. The wages are higher and the cost of living is lower and everyone is so nice! Oh, and they do not take state taxes out of your check.
I hope that you are okay. You are to be commended for earning your degree and working so hard to care for yourself and your family.
:)

I am RJ. I am okay for now. Thank you for your concerns. I am still unemployed and looking to relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dj2008 in Louisville, Kentucky

53 months ago

niharika vaish in Louisville, Kentucky said: I have been here in Louisville Kentucky for over one and a half year. It's a very tough place to find an employment. There are not too many potential employers in Louisville. I was waiting for the start of 2010 hoping that the job market would improve but I'm yet to see that. I have an experience in Software Quality Assurance and now ASTQB certified. If anybody comes across QA opening in Louisville posted on job site or if there is requirement in their own company please contact me directly.

God Bless all the job seekers of Louisville !

Hi Niharika, sorry to hear about your (and everyone else) tough situations. I've been visiting indeed.com and seeing a few opportunities in the software QA area, a large majority are contract positions. They pay upwards of $35 an hour, which seems pretty good. I myself applied to a few and got one call back (fingers crossed). Good luck all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Smitty in Louisville, Kentucky

48 months ago

I'm a recent grad too..I grew up on the northeast side of Louisville..you know prospect...Springhurt..etc. Well, I almost get the different idea about the job situation in louisville when I see all these people with their posh houses and cars. I keep asking myself what are all these people doing? Who are they employed by?...Are they all medical professionals or work in the public sector? Anything that might answer why?..judging by my car..why I look like the poorest young adult in the area? Maybe I'm the only one around my age that hasn't gotten help from mommy n daddy to buy theirs.
Anyway, I really like this post. Its nice to see that people can agree that I need to get out of Louisville to find work. I heard it before, but they didn't live here so I was skeptical. But JESUS times are sad!!! I don't want to settle for a job payin less than 9-10/hr.
I made 10-11/hr scrapping out houses for a home builder when I was 14 years old!!! I quit a job with a landscaper recently because all the other employees had court issues requiring me to work 50+ hrs per week(paid less than the job I had when I was 14..I must add)...and I was hoping it'd be a good opportunity to get my pale ass out of the heat and sun!! Nope...now I'm probably going to have to find another grueling outdoor job. Skin cancer HERE I COME!!

janie582 in Louisville, Kentucky

46 months ago

I CAME TO LOUISVILLE, 3 YEARS FROM TEXAS. MY HUSBAND WAS MURDERED IN A DALLAS TX BAR. I LOST MY HOME AND DECIDED TO RELOCATE, I WAS DOING GOOD WORKING A SUB CONTRACTOR FOR A FAMILY OWNED BUISNESS, BUT THEN THEY STARTED TO TREAT ME BAD, SO I COULD QUIT. NOW I HAVE BEEN WITH NO JOB FOR 3 MONTHS LIVING ON THE SMALL SAVINGS I HAD AND CAN NOT GET A JOB. IN TEXAS I WORKED FOR AT@T FOR 10 YEARS, BUT HERE IN KY THIS EXPERIENCE IS NOTHING, I PLAN TO RETURN TO TX, BEFORE MY SAVINGS RUN OUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

In house lawyer now in the OUTSHOUSE in Jeffersonville, Indiana

45 months ago

Tired of living here in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am a native of the area who has lived elsewhere; mostly while attending college or law school. This is a tough market. I recently finished a degree in Spanish to compliment my law degree. I have no regrets, but I am seeking employment outside of the Louisville area. It might be hard to leave my friends and family, but its better than living on the streets here. I hope that the poster that indicated that he was homeless in his car has made some progress. It is hard to accept work beneath your "pay grade", but I work as a delivery driver on the side just to meet my bills. I wish everyone the best of luck. But, I would not count on anyone but yourself right now.

In house counsel job vanished over a year ago. Isnt the Louisvlle legal job market a joke? I feel like I'm going insane with this pitiful job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kempf

44 months ago

janie582 in Louisville, Kentucky said: I CAME TO LOUISVILLE, 3 YEARS FROM TEXAS. MY HUSBAND WAS MURDERED IN A DALLAS TX BAR. I LOST MY HOME AND DECIDED TO RELOCATE, I WAS DOING GOOD WORKING A SUB CONTRACTOR FOR A FAMILY OWNED BUISNESS, BUT THEN THEY STARTED TO TREAT ME BAD, SO I COULD QUIT. NOW I HAVE BEEN WITH NO JOB FOR 3 MONTHS LIVING ON THE SMALL SAVINGS I HAD AND CAN NOT GET A JOB. IN TEXAS I WORKED FOR AT@T FOR 10 YEARS, BUT HERE IN KY THIS EXPERIENCE IS NOTHING, I PLAN TO RETURN TO TX, BEFORE MY SAVINGS RUN OUT.

What is your back ground??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorlei48

44 months ago

My husband lost his job today. (Our only income) He fought the ice for 45 minutes to get to work and when he got there the boss sais "My nerves can't take it anymore. Come back tomorrow for your check". My husband has been there 4 years. No notice, no nothing. One week before x-mas. We have an 8 yr old son and are check to check now. I'm overwhelmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ItStinks in Louisville, Kentucky

43 months ago

That is horrible to hear. Can he apply for unemployment benefits? I know that is cold comfort, but I would act know if he is eligible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ItStinks in Louisville, Kentucky

43 months ago

That is react now...not know

lisha in Indianapolis, Indiana

40 months ago

i really wanted to move to Kentucky considering that is where my family is originally from thanks for the Scary Comments I guess I should consider the pro's and the con's and maybe keep my little cute self here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

William Smith in Louisville, Kentucky

40 months ago

lisha in Indianapolis, Indiana said: i really wanted to move to Kentucky considering that is where my family is originally from thanks for the Scary Comments I guess I should consider the pro's and the con's and maybe keep my little cute self here

Trust me when I say stay in Indianapolis. Unless you're a medical professional with a job lined up or in skilled trades like a plumber, electrician, etc you'll have a hard time living here and making ends meet. Kentucky is a beautiful state but it has a horrid governmental system and Louisville is among the most corrupt cities in the nation with so many people on government assistance or homeless. The place is a really a joke and the people are a big part of the problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anne01 in midwest

40 months ago

Listen to William Smith - he knows what he's talking about.

I'm in my late 20s living in Louisville, still at home, and I have a college degree with a B.A. in English and a minor in Sociology. I've been able to get a few little part-time test scoring jobs and I worked for 5 months as a temp at the census bureau doing data entry and transcribing in Jeffersonville, IN last year. I refiled three times to get my unemployment from there after I was laid off and I'm finally getting that as of January.

The only places that ever call me are mostly temp agencies like The CSI Companies, Mindlance, OfficeTeam, etc. Quite a few of the staffing agencies that call me are out of state agencies looking to fill jobs in Louisville, but the Louisville staffing agencies are no different, really. All of them tell me the same thing: we have a job opening in this or that field and we would like to submit your resume. And of course, I tell them to submit my resume. They ask me a few questions and send my resume over to their client. Nothing ever comes of it and when I follow up a few days later they tell me the position has been filled.

I get nothing but the runaround from those places and I don't even know how they stay in business when they do nothing but lie and deceive us jobseekers out there who are in desperate need of work. As long as a recruiter calls x number of people that day, even if they don't place ANY of those people in a position, they've met their quota and they will still be paid, while we, the jobseekers, are getting the raw end of the deal.

(response cont'd in next comment)

anne01 in midwest

40 months ago

If it's not recruiters calling me, it's insurance companies or places like JBW, Inc. calling wanting low-paid customer service reps or commission-only insurance salespeople. JBW actually called today wanting a customer service rep. Here I am, someone with a college degree, and that's all a place like that wants me for? If I could live on what a customer service rep made, that would be one thing, but you can't. They only make a little more than a person in retail or fast food makes, but it's still not enough to support yourself on. I politely told the person from JBW that I've been there, done that (and I have - I've done customer service and cashiering both) and turned down the offer.

I can type like a whiz, and I have years of experience doing data entry and office work. I am a quick learner and could do almost any job with very little training. Louisville, sadly, is a good old boy town and if you don't know anyone, you can't even get a receptionist position or any kind of administrative assistant position. They'd rather hire a friend who has no experience than to hire someone like myself who has years worth of office experience. It's really sad.

I've spent the last six months from the time I was laid off from the census bureau to now looking for jobs and applying for anything I can find and have gotten few to no callbacks other than recruiters and places I've never heard of calling me about jobs that don't exist or have been filled by insiders.

If anyone reading this thread is thinking about moving to Louisville, DON'T. The unemployment rate in Jefferson County is 11 percent and there's no jobs except in trades or in the medical field just as William mentioned. My family and I are planning on moving to a state with a better job market once we get our house sold. I'm pretty much through with this town and the people in it.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people in this thread who are in tough times because of the economy here.

Klaypul in Vero Beach, Florida

40 months ago

I am looking for people on behalf of measured Progress. Have you worked for them already?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anne01 in midwest

40 months ago

Hello Klaypul.

Yes. I worked for Measured Progress in 2007 and I've been doing some test scoring online from home with another testing company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anne01 in midwest

40 months ago

Klaypul,

Quick question for you. Is Measured Progress looking to fill any full-time permanent positions, because that is what I am looking for right now.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Sam in Louisville, Kentucky

40 months ago

Seeing Klaypul's post about Measured Progress, I wanted to make a comment since I just saw this job posting yesterday. It appears that this year, they've changed their requirements. I copied and pasted the ad below:

Kelly Services is looking to place currently Certified teachers, on seasonal assignments that will begin this month!

Kelly Services® is currently recruiting more than

1,000 assessment evaluators for assignments

in the Louisville area. Assessment evaluators are

responsible for reading and scoring elementary and

secondary standardized student achievement tests

in various grades and content levels.

Requirements: Current Teacher Certification or lifetime Teacher Certification

Shift: 8:15 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.

Pay: $10:75 with paid training

Please send email to:

Mailboxmeasuredprogressrecruiting@kellyservices.com

with your resume and date of certification expiration!

It used to be that in the past, all you had to have was 80 college credit hours or a bachelor's degree and you could score tests, PLUS the pay was $11.00 an hour. Now you have to be a certified teacher to be eligible and they're paying less money ($10.75 an hour).

Seriously, does Kelly Services and Measured Progress think we're that stupid?

anne01 and everyone else here, sorry you're going through all this. I'm in the same boat. I, too, also used to score tests with Measured Progress but now I'm going to be shut out because I don't have teacher certification. They sure know how to screw people over.

Klaypul in Louisville, Kentucky

40 months ago

Anne01,

My apologies for the delay in my response. I was out of town. At any rate, there appears to be some confusion about this position. I do not know where Sam pulled his information, but this position only requires 48 credit hours with the same pay rate he mentioned. If you can speak spanish, we have opportunities for you as well at the rate of $13.00. Sam, if you have questions about this you may contact me directly at Kelly Services. Make sure you look up the number for the 4500 Commerce Crossing address. Ask for Steven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anne01 in midwest

40 months ago

Klaypul,

Thank you for getting back in touch with me. I'm looking for a full-time permanent job and most of the work Measured Progress does is only temporary.

I appreciate your help though. Thank you.

Klaypul in Louisville, Kentucky

40 months ago

No worries. It is tough out there. Keep your head up and keep trying. If I hear any of any good leads I will post them.

anne01 in midwest

39 months ago

I did happen to find this in my job search today. While Sam is slightly incorrect about the requirements (you can still score tests with a Bachelor's Degree), the pay has went down. It used to be $11.00 an hour back when I did it and now it only pays $10.75 an hour. The below link has more information:

www.kellymp.appone.com/Menu.asp?sst=Requisition+Template&LocationID=39402&FtrPlaceholder=&x=73&y=14

Is there any reason why Measured Progress is paying less money this year? Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon here and that's just barely enough for gas with not much money left over, especially if you're someone like myself who lives in the East End.

I'm scoring tests from home at $10.00 an hour with another testing company online and since I just now got an offer to do some summer work with my usual test projects I do, I'm going to stick with that. $.75 extra cents an hour is hardly enough money to cover gas from here to the South end of Louisville and back every day.

I'm still looking for full-time permanent work but I haven't had much luck. If there's any new leads at all, please post them here for us. Thank you.

ann in Louisville, Kentucky

39 months ago

You mentioned another testing company that you can score from home. Where do I find more information about that. I teach full time and would like to find a company that I could score from home.

anne01 in midwest said: I did happen to find this in my job search today. While Sam is slightly incorrect about the requirements (you can still score tests with a Bachelor's Degree), the pay has went down. It used to be $11.00 an hour back when I did it and now it only pays $10.75 an hour. The below link has more information:

www.kellymp.appone.com/Menu.asp?sst=Requisition+Template&LocationID=39402&FtrPlaceholder=&x=73&y=14

Is there any reason why Measured Progress is paying less money this year? Gas is almost $4.00 a gallon here and that's just barely enough for gas with not much money left over, especially if you're someone like myself who lives in the East End.

I'm scoring tests from home at $10.00 an hour with another testing company online and since I just now got an offer to do some summer work with my usual test projects I do, I'm going to stick with that. $.75 extra cents an hour is hardly enough money to cover gas from here to the South end of Louisville and back every day.

I'm still looking for full-time permanent work but I haven't had much luck. If there's any new leads at all, please post them here for us. Thank you.

bbrown in Louisville, Kentucky

38 months ago

DRB9701 in Hurst, Texas said: Oops- I meant to reply to RJ.
But anyone who can get out of Louisville and KY should get out and come to Texas. KY will always be special to me, but the good life is here in Texas.

Texas is the land of plenty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blackshear in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

Can anyone tell me if the job market is better/same/worse in New Albany, IN? It's really close to Louisville, but since it's the same metro I wasn't sure if the economy would be the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Astrolion in Blue Springs, Missouri

36 months ago

Blackshear in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Can anyone tell me if the job market is better/same/worse in New Albany, IN? It's really close to Louisville, but since it's the same metro I wasn't sure if the economy would be the same.

New Albany IN is a dump....don't go there.

JBVO in Louisville, Kentucky

36 months ago

Louisville is one of the absolute worst places to get a job and Southern Indiana doesn't fare much better.

I would give anything to be able to relocate right now to a place that actually has jobs with living wages, but I don't have the money to move. The kinds of jobs I get offered with my Bachelor's Degree are a joke. $8-$11 an hour temporary, contract, or part-time work, with either crappy benefits or no benefits at all. You'll be hard-pressed to find any permanent jobs because there aren't that many.

Staffing agencies and even the unemployment office look at you like you're from another planet if you ask for a job that pays more than $8-$11 an hour and more-or-less nod their heads and say, "that's nice," when you tell them you have a college degree. In Louisville, a college education is practically worth nothing because most of the good-paying positions that would require a degree have either left, don't exist, or you have to know someone to get hired. A lot of recent college grads are having to move back home with mom and dad or relocate to another state to find work. It's really that bad.

Louisville's unemployment rate is still at 10%, and while there has been a small amount of job creation with the recent applications for 1,800 Ford positions and a new healthcare company coming to town this Fall with 120 jobs, it's not nearly enough for the thousands of people who are still out of work.

I've lived here my entire life and can tell anyone from experience - if you are looking for a job, do not come to Louisville. You have to know someone to get the few good-paying jobs that are here, otherwise, the best you're going to do wage-wise is $8-$11 an hour which you can't support yourself on and since the jobs are either part-time or those temp or contract jobs that end after 6 months or a year, you'll never have a stable job here. Plus, the people here aren't really all that friendly either. It's a very crummy place to live.

Jessica in Louisville, Kentucky

35 months ago

Wow, I thought it was just me! It's bad that it's like this, but at least we all know it's not just us! I grew up in TX near Houston, and I have to agree with everyone here who says the people are nicer. I still know people who live there, and they all have jobs. I even look at the job postings once in a while and they seem plentiful. Maybe it's time to go back?

anne01 in midwest

34 months ago

If you have the money to relocate, Jessica, I'd do so. Louisville is a horrible place to get a job. All the good-paying jobs go to friends and relatives and people with lots of connections. If you're not connected, $8 to $10 an hour is the best you're going to do in a part-time or temporary position, maybe $11 if you're lucky. Permanent full-time jobs are quite scarce.

Here's one particular example I want to share from this past week to give you folks an idea of how ridiculous it is to get a living-wage job.

A week ago, the newspaper and all the news stations were advertising 300 jobs at Humana that were up for grabs in three different departments. I applied for these positions and got a call September 21st on the Medicare Billing Specialist position. I had a phone interview the next day and was told verbally to expect a call or e-mail in a few weeks about a face-to-face interview. Not ten minutes after I had the phone interview, I receive a rejection e-mail, notifying me that I would not be considered for the position. Never mind the fact that I was verbally told I'd be moving on to the next step of the hiring process. I did make it very clear to the interviewer especially when I got to the salary requirements that Wave 3 and other news outlets had stated the jobs were permanent and paid between $28,000 and $30,000 a year and I answered all of her other questions well.

Something tells me Humana isn't telling the complete truth about these jobs and my rejection e-mail is most likely a sign that these jobs are not permanent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anne01 in midwest

34 months ago

Humana laid off 750 people in 2009. My thinking is they're either going to hire 300 of those people back or they're giving the jobs to friends and relatives, or from what I found out from other people, the jobs aren't really permanent, they're just temporary.

My quoting Humana from the Courier Journal verbatim about the positions being permanent and paying $28,000 to $30,000 a year (which someone from Humana actually said) is what might have disqualified me on the spot, and if that is the case, that means they lied to the news media about the jobs being permanent, salaried, full-time positions. That, in addition to lying to someone about moving on to the next step of the employment process and then having a rejection e-mail sent to that person 10 minutes after having a phone interview with the company, is a horrible thing for Humana or any other company to do when there's literally thousands of people in this town out of work or underemployed. If you're not qualified to move on to the next step of the employment process, you shouldn't lie to them and say they are - that's giving that person false hope that they have a chance of getting the job when in reality, they don't. It's like getting the 3 Stooges in the eye every time you turn around.

Now this incident is not going to stop me from applying because I am applying for jobs and hitting the pavement every day to find work, but every day is a struggle. I've had other incidents where employers have lied to me, similar to what Humana did. I just move on and keep looking. I am now starting to apply for jobs out of state, however, because I just know if I stay here, there is no future for me.

It's a jungle out there, and Louisville's jungle is full of nothing but liars, deceivers, and connivers who will do anything to take advantage of someone who is down on their luck like myself. I wish everyone luck finding a job here because I think we're all really going to need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Services in Campbellsville, Kentucky

32 months ago

Kelly Services is GARBAGE!

I am going on THREE WEEKS without recieving my paycheck.

If you wish to work for a company that makes you wait so long on getting your paychecks, go for it.

Kelly Services > Zappos.com

BJ in Louisville, Kentucky

32 months ago

Kelly Services in Campbellsville, Kentucky said: Kelly Services is GARBAGE!

I am going on THREE WEEKS without recieving my paycheck.

If you wish to work for a company that makes you wait so long on getting your paychecks, go for it.

Kelly Services > Zappos.com

If you haven't received your paycheck by now, I would not go back to work until I got it and I would make that very clear to Kelly Services. No pay, no work. That's what I would do if I was in your situation. Another suggestion - you might want to take them to small claims court to get your money. That would probably be the best solution.

After all the stories I've heard this past week about the food poisoning incident and other general complaints about Zappos work environment, I would never want to get a job at that place, especially through a temp agency, unless I was really desperate. Temp agencies love to cheat people out of paychecks and take advantage of people like yourself. That's why I tend to avoid temp agencies and always try to apply for jobs directly with the employers.

I hope you can get this matter resolved and get your paycheck soon. I'm sorry you're going through that, especially right now during the holidays.

Going back to the sunshine in Brookville, Indiana

31 months ago

Everyone is correct, stay away from Louisville if you need work. A search of careerbuilder for any job listed in the last week returned 44 results, 8 were in Indiana and many were duplicate posts of the same job. They claim Florida has a high unemployment but a search of my hometown there shows over 1500 jobs listed in the last 3 days within 10 miles of where my parents live.

Personally I am headed back to the sunshine state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jfkdlaj;fd;a in Louisville, Kentucky

31 months ago

As someone who moved to Louisville in 2007 and is now unemployed, I agree with everyone else. While I was VERY lucky to find my job here based on my resume, references, and interviewing skills alone a few years back, I will say that Louisville is a "who you know" kind of job market and it's getting WORSE. Even if you are highly skilled and educated, the good jobs ONLY go to those who were born and raised here--even if those people are less educated, experienced, and less intelligent. It's very maddening. For example, when I was in graduate school, I was in a group with an individual who barely did any work and the work he did do was so horrid that I had to rewrite his sections and redo his research. He even cheated off my homework! He graduated with a C average and now works for Humana making more than I have ever made in a year. I graduated top of my class, was inducted into an honor society, have more work experience, and I can't even get an interview with Humana! Why? Because he went to HS with people who work there. In other words,knowing people while being a mediocrity is rewarded over hard work and academic excellence. I think it's the locals' way of telling people who are not from here to GTFO. I never had to put up with that anywhere else I have lived. All I had to do was apply, and if I qualified, I got an interview and if the interviewer liked me and what my references had to say, I got the job. Easy peasy. Florida is a good place to go--if you don't have kids or if you have the education and experience to find employment which pays you enough to put your kids in private school. I lived in Tampa and my son had a horrible time in the public school system (he was physically abused by his TA). The Pacific Northwest is another place where you don't have the put up with the "who you know" bs as well (exception: government jobs but that's everywhere).

31 months ago

What's really sad in my particular case jfkdlaj;fd;a, is that I'm from Louisville and was born and raised here and still can't find a job to save my life. I never fit in at school or college and have never been able to make and keep lasting friendships with anyone. Maybe that's because I'm a little too nice or something, I don't know. Without having any connections though, I'm not doing so well.

Humana is awful. I swear, I applied for a job there back in September when all the local news channels were advertising that they were hiring medicare enrollment reps. Just like one of the other commenters on this board said, I also had a telephone interview with them. That's as far as it ever got and about 15 minutes after the phone interview, they sent me an e-mail telling me they were no longer going to consider me for the job. What a bunch of bs. Even though I was knowledgeable and answered all of their questions perfectly and told the interviewer I'd be available for all of the training, none of that mattered. Most of the people they hired were probably their friends or some of the people who were laid off in 2009. Way to go local media for giving me and others false hope.

There are literally about 30,000 to 40,000 people in Louisville out of work right now - maybe even more than that. I'm still on unemployment benefits from a temp job I had at the census bureau two years ago. Actually, I'm on emergency unemployment compensation right now - my regular benefits were exhausted in September.

All I ever see on the job boards is temporary office or warehouse jobs, customer service and call center jobs, commission-only sales jobs, and a few part-time retail and fast food jobs lumped in. And all of them pay about $7.50 to $11.00 an hour. It's a joke. I really feel sorry for all of the kids who graduate from U of L every year and can't find work because there's literally nothing here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

And for all those folks out there who say that $7.50 or $8 an hour is better than $0 an hour, I have news for everyone - it's not. You can't pay your apartment rent, utilities, food, gas, car insurance, and other necessities on these paltry wages. It's impossible.

I went to college and got my BA in English. Granted it's not the most sellable degree in the world, but the thing is, I got a degree and no one can take that away from me. And I am glad that I got it - I don't look back on it and regret it. In good economic times, an English degree would be very sellable and it used to be a long time ago.

I was actually so certain I would find a job with my degree and all of the office experience I have right after college. I didn't. I've been floating around from temp job to temp job. I've been scoring tests for the last 5 years and with the exception of the temp job I had at the census bureau, that's about all I've done. I'm working on a billing and coding certificate right now and plan to work on a few other certificates after I'm finished with that one. I still may not be able to find work even after all that is said and done, but at least I am doing something.

I just wish our mayor and our governor would focus more on job creation right now. The mayor, I have no idea what he's doing at all, and our governor can only focus on bringing casino gambling to Kentucky. It's no wonder our state is dying. No one in our government is doing enough to create jobs and put people back to work. Most of the money that is generated from casinos will not stay here and the only jobs they will create are more low-wage $8 to $11 an hour jobs. I have a friend in Michigan who works at a casino as a cashier and he only makes about $9 or $10 an hour. Casinos are not going to save this state from its problems right now.

I am definitely going to start a relocation fund. I do not intend to stay here the rest of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mbshelley in Louisville, Kentucky

31 months ago

Comments about Louisville being a "who you know" job market are correct. A degree and experience mean nothing here. The medical field is saturated and nursing jobs are going to BSNs. Other medical jobs including coding are not plentiful either. I am a veteran with an MBA and without a 30% military connected disability you get nowhere. The worst thing the gov. ever did was to get rid of the Civil Service Test: have you ever tried to talk to anyone in a Federal agency, most are dumber than a post. The state is just as ass backwards: no training and antiquated computers and policies. I may have to take a job out of state and leave my husband behind, we couldn't sell our home or afford to move. So for now I'm stuck at an unskilled job, most people would say I'm lucky to have a job, but I don't feel so lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.