Looking to relocate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Christopher in Lakeland, Florida

77 months ago

The job market in FL just is not what it used to be. I came across the information about the Louisville Reunion. I've never considered relocating since most companies really do not look at out-of-state candidates. At this point in my life though I feel like a change would be good for me. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on great places to look that would be more likely to consider an out-of -state candidate. I do have a Bachelor's degree but limited work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Darin in Louisville, Kentucky

76 months ago

Christopher in Lakeland, Florida said: The job market in FL just is not what it used to be. I came across the information about the Louisville Reunion. I've never considered relocating since most companies really do not look at out-of-state candidates. At this point in my life though I feel like a change would be good for me. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on great places to look that would be more likely to consider an out-of -state candidate. I do have a Bachelor's degree but limited work experience.

The job market here is one of the worst in the country especially for the educated. Short of a few specialized areas such as the medical or IT fields the jobs here revolve around distribution ie UPS package thrower or truck driver. Once a middle class manufacturing community the reasonably well paying factory jobs have been replaced by PART TIME distribution jobs. UPS employs something like over 5000 part-timers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paper Box in somewhere in the midwest

75 months ago

Darin in Louisville, Kentucky said: The job market here is one of the worst in the country especially for the educated. Short of a few specialized areas such as the medical or IT fields the jobs here revolve around distribution ie UPS package thrower or truck driver. Once a middle class manufacturing community the reasonably well paying factory jobs have been replaced by PART TIME distribution jobs. UPS employs something like over 5000 part-timers!

I'm from the Midwest and have noticed this a lot about this particular area. What you've said pretty much hits the nail on the head for me, as I have a college degree, have tried finding work, but either do not hear back from the companies I apply to (both temp and applications directly through the company) or am told I do not have enough experience. I only work part-time now and am in need of a full-time job.

And I have noticed UPS hires a lot of part-timers, many of those making $8.00 an hour as package handlers.

I need to relocate too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara hane in Washington, District of Columbia

75 months ago

I can tell you that I moved to Pensacala, Florida 3 years ago, and have NOT found a job yet. I have over 20 years of payroll experience and a Human Resource degree. I have been sending out resumes over the net though several sites, to several cities(Tampa, Petersburg, St. Auguestine, Jacksonville) and have had only two interviews. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the job market down here, I beleive that the "good ol' boy " syndrom is pretty common here.
I have recently started sending resumes up in the Northern Virginia aera and within one week I have had 5 phone interviews.
If you plan on relocating to Florida, if you know someone, that knows someone yo might have better luck than I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paper Box in somewhere in the midwest

75 months ago

Sara hane in Washington, District of Columbia said: I can tell you that I moved to Pensacala, Florida 3 years ago, and have NOT found a job yet. I have over 20 years of payroll experience and a Human Resource degree. I have been sending out resumes over the net though several sites, to several cities(Tampa, Petersburg, St. Auguestine, Jacksonville) and have had only two interviews. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the job market down here, I beleive that the "good ol' boy " syndrom is pretty common here.
I have recently started sending resumes up in the Northern Virginia aera and within one week I have had 5 phone interviews.
If you plan on relocating to Florida, if you know someone, that knows someone yo might have better luck than I did.

I'm probably not going to relocate to Florida -- I've been reading about their job market and it doesn't sound any better than ours up here. :( But I will look into a few other states and see what's out there. Thank you for your input and advice.

At least it is good to know that I am not alone and that there are others having this same trouble finding work. I am glad I found these forums here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.