What are the best neigborhoods in Memphis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 200)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Aryss in Memphis, Tennessee

85 months ago

i will kike to work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming

79 months ago

It looks like my husband and I will be relocating to Memphis. Probably this summer. Where are the best places to live in and around Memphis? The folks my husband was interviewed by said everything from mid-town to Germantown/Collierville to Lakeland. What are these places like: shopping, culture, crime, etc.? Also what is the Bartlett and Lakeland area like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (378) / No (62) Reply - Report abuse

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming

74 months ago

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SuJun in Cordova, Tennessee

72 months ago

We are here and having a grand time! Thank you everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Currently Memphis is, depending on the report you read, between the second to eighth worst city in the US. However, most crime is in pockets in the city. If you live in the wrong place, you are in trouble. If you live in an outlying suburb the police presence is better. Part of the problem . . . inadequate number of police. they cannot as many as they need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

HAPPY in Memphis, Tennessee

63 months ago

Memphis is a nice place in spite of what people are saying. South and North Memphis mainly consist of mostly African Americans. East Memphis (Hickory Hill) consist of African American and Mexicans. Germantown, Collierville and Bartless consist of majority Caucasians. Downtown and Midtown are the older part of the city and is diverse. Regardless of where you chose, crime is every where and it doesn't matter what color. Let me know how you like here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming said: It looks like my husband and I will be relocating to Memphis. Probably this summer. Where are the best places to live in and around Memphis? The folks my husband was interviewed by said everything from mid-town to Germantown/Collierville to Lakeland. What are these places like: shopping, culture, crime, etc.? Also what is the Bartlett and Lakeland area like?

Arlington is the best place as of right now. Collierville is great in most places and germantown is pretty good as well. But i'd have to say Arlington is the place to be if your looking for an investment and a clean/safe inviroment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

It seems most of cordova is now Memphis and taxes are high and houses are for sale everywhere. you can get a good deal there ,but crime is coming.Apartments there might be a ok choice.I still say Arlington is THE place to be .
Small town atmosphere and GREAT schools. It's growing like crazy (from a small town square)Into The next Collierville.Just bought a house there for the investment side of it.The town is happy they just got a Mcdonalds LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

My advice
check Arlington out and buy now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

you will be able to get anywhere pretty quick.
385 will be complete soon !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

memgirl in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

JD in Memphis, Tennessee said: Arlington is the best place as of right now. Collierville is great in most places and germantown is pretty good as well. But i'd have to say Arlington is the place to be if your looking for an investment and a clean/safe inviroment.

Seriously, Memphis is a great city. The crime is not that bad. I've livedhere for 11 years and love it. No city is perfect, I admit, but this is my city. I hateis with passion, but love it with some pride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey in Paris, France

60 months ago

What do you think about the following areas :
- the Chickasaw Gardens area
- High Point
- Mud Island
- Downtown

I'm a young french profesional and I'm looking for an appartment ---) safe and dynamic area, near from downtown.

Thank you !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anoymous in Cordova, Tennessee

52 months ago

What about Bartlett and Cordova? those are good areas too. Although, If you want to live in Cordova live east of Germantown Parkway. If you live west of Germantown Parkway in Cordova, you will be annexed in Memphis and have to pay city taxes. Also, If you live west of Germantown Parkway, in Cordova, those areas seem to be rising in crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

VOLume in Dyersburg, Tennessee

51 months ago

Is there such a thing as safe for renters who are broke and unable to buy in Memphis?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tdcoopwood in Memphis, Tennessee

48 months ago

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming said: It looks like my husband and I will be relocating to Memphis. Probably this summer. Where are the best places to live in and around Memphis? The folks my husband was interviewed by said everything from mid-, culture, crime, etc.? Also what is the Bartlett and Lakeland area like?

I have stayed in Memphis all my life and the best place to live by far is Colliervile. It has is own community and mall and is 15 minutes away from Memphis. Another good place woulde be Lakeland. Its quiet and country, but is a little far from everything else. Its a beautiful quiet place though! If I had a choice I would live in Collierville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

outofthere

46 months ago

I have NEVER EVER in my life witenessed more ignorance in one city as you see everyday in Memphis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

ROj said: Why move away from Blacks. Why are they so stupid, Its people really like you that someone would shy away from.

Actually moving from the nearly homogenus caucasian Wyoming to Memphis is the opposite of 'move away from Blacks.'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SO in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

HAPPY in Memphis, Tennessee said: Memphis is a nice place in spite of what people are saying. South and North Memphis mainly consist of mostly African Americans. East Memphis (Hickory Hill) consist of African American and Mexicans. Germantown, Collierville and Bartless consist of majority Caucasians. Downtown and Midtown are the older part of the city and is diverse. Regardless of where you chose, crime is every where and it doesn't matter what color. Let me know how you like here.

i'm thinking of buying a place in an area near hickory hill. can someone tell me if that is a good or bad area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

We love Memphis! Until our house sells out West we are renting. We found a demographically diverse church so we are thrilled with that. Overall we are loving Memphis!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ponytl in Memphis, Tennessee

44 months ago

sounds.... I almost sound like what I was describing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beasley in Charleston, South Carolina

42 months ago

Collierville, Tenn
Olive Branch, Miss
Arlington, Tenn
Good luck. Get you carry permit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

I'm considering relocating from Harrisburg, PA to the Memphis area and I was wondering what are the public schools like? I have a 10year old daughter and my 70year old grandmother that will be moving also. Just wanted to know the best areas to consider. We live in the center of the "hood" where we are now (I have my firearm license and carry always). We don't want to move to a country setting but we don't want to be in the center of the hood either..can anyone offer any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

42 months ago

I am a 21 year old guy graduating from LSU in May. I am moving to Memphis for my job in June 2011 and am curious where young people live.

If anyone could please write a little about these places I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to live in a place that has nightlife. If anybody knows what rents go for in these areas that would be extremely helpful. Right now I am really considering downtown and Harbor Town/Mud Island.

-Downtown
-Cooper Young
-Harbor Town/Mud Island
-Germantown
-Midtown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

42 months ago

Relo in Arlington, Tennessee said: Hi,
Just saw your request posted a couple of months ago. In the event that you are still relocating to the Memphis and have questions, please email me. I will make an effort to answer what questions that you may have.

Hi Relo, I read you have lived in Memphis and I was hoping you could help me out with the living situation. I am a 21 year old guy graduating from LSU in May. I am moving to Memphis for my job in June 2011 and am curious where young people live.

I would like to live in an area with an active nightlife. Also, I have heard a lot about crime, are any of these areas places I should live away from. Right know I am highly considering Downtown, Cooper Young and Harbor Town/Mud Island, what do you think of those areas for a young guy

-Downtown
-Cooper Young
-Harbor Town/Mud Island
-Germantown
-Midtown

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NoraLee in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I'm considering relocating from Harrisburg, PA to the Memphis area and I was wondering what are the public schools like? I have a 10year old daughter and my 70year old grandmother that will be moving also. Just wanted to know the best areas to consider. We live in the center of the "hood" where we are now (I have my firearm license and carry always). We don't want to move to a country setting but we don't want to be in the center of the hood either..can anyone offer any suggestions

Memphis city schools get a bad rap, but there are plenty of Memphis city schools that are great. White Station, Central, and Overton are good schools. You really don't need a gun to live there - there are really dangerous areas of Memphis, but there are completely affordable areas that are safe. For decent schools, look in the midtown area.

County schools are generally ranked higher because they are in areas with higher property taxes, best bets are Cordova/Germantown, but they are further away from downtown and are much more suburban (though Memphis is a sprawling city - the areas abover where just country roads when I was growing up). Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NoraLee in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

Mike in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am a 21 year old guy graduating from LSU in May. I am moving to Memphis for my job in June 2011 and am curious where young people live.

If anyone could please write a little about these places I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to live in a place that has nightlife. If anybody knows what rents go for in these areas that would be extremely helpful. Right now I am really considering downtown and Harbor Town/Mud Island.

-Downtown
-Cooper Young
-Harbor Town/Mud Island
-Germantown
-Midtown

My husband's from New Orleans and lived in Memphis with me before we moved up North. As noted in my post below, I'd really recommend Cooper Young or Downtown. Harbor Town is really expensive and not very convenient from a commuting standpoint and Germantown is just far away from all the great bars and restaurants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Takingachancein2011-moving to Memphis in Little Rock, Arkansas

41 months ago

Ok so to sum it up, I'm from Little Rock and I'm a soon to be divorcee with two sons. My dad and stepmom as well ad my stepbrother live in Memphis so if I look at any other city to relocate that's why I would choose mtown...every other person important to me lives here in Ar. My background is recent undergraduate degree in speech, 10 years at one job doing billing/clerical no major skill except degree,strong clerical support background, home health background and motivation. How realistic is it for me to start over in Memphis with no job and 8 to 10 thousand dollars??? I'm on a iPhone so I briefed this convo up pardon me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Takingachancein2011-moving to Memphis in Little Rock, Arkansas

41 months ago

Another concern of course is crime with two black male sons one who is 15 other 8. Great kids great in school would not want to screw that up but I really need a new life and environment. I just want to live decent like I do in LR within a middle class area and school minus the hood which I'm no stranger to. The schools they attend are diverse which is important for me no all black or all white schools!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sindustry in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Midtown is my favorite place in all of Memphis, besides Downtown during Memphis in May. I was born and raised in Memphis, and even though, yes there is a very real criminal element to the city, Midtown and Downtown can be very awesome. Great bars, shops, music, people, everything you could ask for. Central Gardens and Mud Island I think are probably the safest places in "Memphis"

There are also a lot of people that work in Memphis, but live east of memphis in "mostly" nicer areas like germantown, cordova, collierville, etc. They are cities, but most Memphians consider them subdivisions of Memphis given their proximity :P

Look up events for midtown, particularly the Cooper Young area, they have quite a few arts/crafts/various festivals every year. I actually live not far now. Yes there is ghetto right down the street, but drive a couple blocks the other way and you might run into million dollar houses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

I stay here, and I hate this place. I grew up here. This place gets worse and worse. This place is boring, and cant get pass 1947.

I left and HAD to come back because I was in a real sticky situation. When I first got back it seemed like I stepped out of a time machine that went back into the past. Now that most of my situations are fixed, I cant wait to leave again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I stay in the South Memphis area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

guess who? again in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Look, Memphis is a very backward thinking strange city that squandered its opportunities in the late 70s and particularly the 80s. I spent over 15 years living in Germantown, working as a senior executive in Memphis.

I have had the experience of living all over the south, midwest and attended schools in the northeast.

Memphis is, BY FAR the worst city in which I have ever lived---hands down.

Crime is only one drawback. The biggest negatives are intransigence, ingorance and racism (on all sides mind you). You might as well live in The State of Mississippi, because it's more like Mississippi than anywhere else in TN.

If you have a choice, choose Nashville over Memphis ANYDAY of the week...if you have no choice, make the best of it and MOVE out on a transfer or just build your resume for the next career move to a dynamic, progressive city in the south...perhaps Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Tampa Bay, NOVA, a few cities in SC even.

Don't waste your life in this cesspool of thought, it's not changing in the next 20 years ! If you have that kind of time, then Memphis is for YOU.

I told my spouse I would never EVER rear children in that stupid town.

Memphis is a parochial, insular, piece of crap of a city by comparison.

I agree. Especially with the racism on both ends. And like you, I would NOT want to have children in this dump.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

shannon in Columbia, Missouri

41 months ago

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Memphis within the next year because of family and business ties in ark. However, I have reservations. We live in Columbia, MO which is a small progressive college city. The population here is diverse and most neighborhoods are fully integrated. There is no black side/white side of columbia. I want to raise my children in a diverse community that reflects american society. Where are the diverse neighborhoods?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Fedup in Memphis, Tennessee

40 months ago

shannon in Columbia, Missouri said: My husband and I are thinking of moving to Memphis within the next year because of family and business ties in ark. However, I have reservations. We live in Columbia, MO which is a small progressive college city. The population here is diverse and most neighborhoods are fully integrated. There is no black side/white side of columbia. I want to raise my children in a diverse community that reflects american society. Where are the diverse neighborhoods?

There are no diverse neighborhoods. In fact there is no diversity at all in the entire Memphis area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Fedup in Memphis TN is correct. I am Still trying to get out of this dump.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

keisha60644 in Memphis, Tennessee

40 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York said: All I know about Memphis is that 1) crime is very very high there, just made the list - top 10 highest cities in America for crime and 2) very cheap to live there - the cost of living.
Good Luck.

CRIME IN MEMPHIS ISNT AS BAD AS THEY MAKE IT SEEM ON TV.IN CERTAIN AREAS JUS LIKE IN ANY CITY CRIME IS BAD.THE BEST PARTS OF MEMPHIS ARE THE SUBURBS OF COLLIERVILLE AND GERMANTOWN.BUT EVEN THERE THERES CRIME.THEY DONT PUBLICIZE THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THOSE AREAS BECAUSE THOSE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany Parker in Memphis, Tennessee

39 months ago

Memphis, like any other city faces crime issues, poverty issues, political issues, and now adding for the first time since 1937 flood issues. I am a born and raised Memphian, I have spent very short amounts of time in other cities (for educational purposes), and can not leave what I honestly feel is one of the greatest city on earth. I have also done much travels throughout my life, and maybe it is just where my heart it, but I believe otherwise. NYC, Charlotte, Austin, St.Louis, Atlanta, Boston, Philly, Portland, Denver, Bozemann, Nashville, Chattanooga, New Orleans.... all great cities, but nothing on Memphis. The never ending soul in this city can not be matched. Statistics, shamistics. I am telling you, from real life, it's a great place to live. And I have to personally disagree with everyone else who is pushing everyone to Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland, Arlington etc (no offense, I was raise in Germantown). The biggest problem with our city is the racial tension, and taking a step back to realize the tramatic racial issues our city has gone through (MLK, being foremost), you will perhaps understand the fire under everyone's as*es constantly. 9/11 for example, it's hits home much more closely to the residents of NYC, and will for years and years to come, well the same goes for the African American residents of Memphis, and I do not blame them, shoot I stand with them. My advice I guess, is to come the Memphis, spend three days at the very least, to explore Midtown, U of M area, East Memphis, Downtown as well as the suburban areas (not ruling anyone out, or bashing any part of the city!!!!) but these are cultural icons, offering you independent resturants, shopping, arts, markets and culture galore. And, may I add, some of the best schools the city has to offer. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

what ? in New York, New York

39 months ago

Only somebody FROM Memphis would think Memphis is a "great city" ! Sorry,, this place is no where NEAR greatness by any measure..only a fool would place Memphis on the same current level as what's happening in Austin,, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

Nashville is head and shoulders above Memphis, and everyone in TN knows it and will tell you. I have never met anyone in Nashville who would move to Memphis !..never

"Great Place to Live " ??? Ms Britanny, you must wear blinders.

Memphis has:

Terrible race relations
Bad Drivers
Bad Public Schools
Terrible politicians/corruption
Poor shooping alternatives
A Plethora of lousy chain restaurants
Lousy supermarkets
High Air Fares, very high ! made the most overpriced airport list2011
High poverty rate
People who can't speak standard English
High crime rates...look at FBI stats
High obesity rates- one of the highest- FORBES
High illiteracy rates
Nasty diets with a plethora of BBQ, cheap mexican and burgers
High misery index- second most miserable city in US-Forbes
Ranked last in intelligence ratings and attractiveness- Travel/Leisure
Ranks at bottom for Quality of Life- from business executives/Portfolio.com

Again, any fool can Google information about Memphis and discover it's a sh ittycity by a lot of measures

One good thing, its realestate market is cheap, ranked farily high, because probably there is a net outflow of people moving...there's always a reason why housing in certain cities are cheap,, and expensive in other areas= always

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

bedazzled in Memphis, Tennessee

39 months ago

@what ? I am from Memphis but I have lived all over this country.Now living in Sacramento Oregon Louisiana and other places I have noticed many similarites as far as crime and "poverty" is concerned.and if you go by everything that you read in Forbes and dont have a hands on in your face notion about this city then you have no place to say what is or isnt.If all you can do is google n wikilepedia info then who is really the fool?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jazzy09 in Memphis, Tennessee

39 months ago

@what ? shut the hell up! that is your opinion. I have lived here all my life and has not experienced what you have so don't try to force your opinion on someone else. you blind stupid ignorant person!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Tigerfan

38 months ago

Ive lived in Memphis for the last ten years. I received high school and college education in this great city. On crime. It has it. Like every big city in the u.s. The reason that it makes the list is that it counts crime differently than other bigger Crime cities like Chicago or Boston. Each act committed during one event is counted individually- robbery, breaking and entering, murder etc. Other cities count these as one incident and so their crime is lower.
Memphis is the reason that I am who I am today. I went to a great public high school, graduated with honors and a full ride to college. Stayed in Memphis to go to the U of M. It was an even better decision. I've lived in Memphis and outside it in the suburbs. I will acknowledge and admit that we have our problems with crime, poverty, and stupid people. It's common in most cities across the world.

Recently we received a bike trail that runs the length of the city. The communities with the city are growing to be fresh, fun, and welcoming to all. The city is pushing for a healthier tomorrow with a vibrant community.

To all who say otherwise, you obviously don't know Memphis.

It got me where I am today. I wouldn't choose anywhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tigerfan

38 months ago

And is ranked as one of the most giving cities in the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pok sammiche in Orlando, Florida

38 months ago

you people in Memphis are obviously oblivious to your own problems and how other cities in the region are blasting past Memphis, TN

Yep, I lived in Memphis for over 15 years- Germantown, and a professional in finance.

Nope, you people actuallty think the city is a high calibre environment ! it's not, and doesn't compare well to many other southern cities, including Nashville, Charlotte and a ton of others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tigerfan

38 months ago

I work in community development. I know exactly what this community is made of. Germantown has many people who snub their noses at people who don't keep their grass at exactly 3 inches. If you didn't take a moment to see how wonderful this city is then it's your loss and we are better off with out you. In the past few years alone, Memphis has taken steps toward rebuilding broken communities, connecting and improving on those that already exist, and has done wonders towards building a bright future for our children. it's the best work in progress I've ever lived in because it's actually trying. People who stay in Memphis care about Memphis. Those who don't, leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I am one of those who will be leaving because I havent seen anything in Memphis worth staying for. I dont see any efforts in community development, (I stay in South Memphis, the "rough" area, and it gets worse and worse).

The schools here are terrible, and the jobless rate here is higher than most places in TN. There is a brain drain where 12 professionals between the ages of 21 and 40 leave EVERYDAY.

I know what this community is made of. And beleive me, from someone who has been here for 14 years, it is not made of the land of opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin

38 months ago

Hello. I am looking for some input on Millington, TN. What are people's thoughts about this town? We are considering the move from the midwest for a job opportunity for my house for a civilian job on the base. I've read the opinions on the high crime rate in Memphis but I think that any large city is going to have issues with crime and we aren't necessarily planning on living in Memphis. We are a young married couple in our early 30's. No children currently but the school systems are important to use for the future when we do have children.
Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NoraLee in Atlanta, Georgia

38 months ago

Millington is very suburban - if you are both fine with that lifestyle, it should be a fine place.

I've written on here in the past and note that I was born and raised in Memphis. Lived there until I was 24 and my mom and friends are still there (just moved from NYC to Atlanta). I'm 30 and I truly think that everyone's comments regarding Memphis are very misplaced. Like you note below, any big city has crime, but in Memphis it's really relegated to certain areas and as long as you don't go roaming around after hours in the wrong part of town, the city is so much fun. It's big enough to have lots of options of things to do, while small enough that you'll see your colleagues and friends out around town. Millington is close enough that you can still enjoy going out in Memphis on the weekends.

Midtown is the best place to go - there are great restaurants and bars.

I hope you don't let the poor reviews impact your decision. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have. My aunt lived in Millington for years and while it's not the most happening place, it's very safe and I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends with folks on the base.

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

google it in Orlando, Florida

38 months ago

anybody can Google Memphis TN, and read absolute reams of opinions based on experiences in Memphis TN

look, memphis is not some fantastic progressive city, if you think it is you have been sleepwalking in the past 15 or so years ! the place is not competitive with a lot of other southern cities, sorry but that's the damn truth

but go live there and find out for yoruself ! the place is primitive by comparison to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, orlando, charlotte, Tampa and even Knoxville is a better place for kids to get an education for instance

I don't have an axe to grind, but any fool that suggests that only people that STAY in Memphis actually care about the city !! that's crazy because most people are actually TRAPPED in the city with little alternatives

many transplants are just doing their time and paying their dues to move on out including execs at Fedex, UT MEd, St Jude, U of M, International Paper, AutoZone, Smith and Nephew, Northwest/Delta, and many others

Memphis is not some dynamic city on the cutting edge ! that too is crazy. it's an overgrown cotton trading bs river town with a Mississippi overtone. If you think that's great for an environment, you will enjoy the hell out of memphis

I generally tell people to SKIP this experience and choose a better place to live in the south and the state- geez Nashville is even in another class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin

38 months ago

NoraLee in Atlanta, Georgia said: Millington is very suburban - if you are both fine with that lifestyle, it should be a fine place.

I've written on here in the past and note that I was born and raised in Memphis. Lived there until I was 24 and my mom and friends are still there (just moved from NYC to Atlanta). I'm 30 and I truly think that everyone's comments regarding Memphis are very misplaced. Like you note below, any big city has crime, but in Memphis it's really relegated to certain areas and as long as you don't go roaming around after hours in the wrong part of town, the city is so much fun. It's big enough to have lots of options of things to do, while small enough that you'll see your colleagues and friends out around town. Millington is close enough that you can still enjoy going out in Memphis on the weekends.

Midtown is the best place to go - there are great restaurants and bars.

I hope you don't let the poor reviews impact your decision. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have. My aunt lived in Millington for years and while it's not the most happening place, it's very safe and I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends with folks on the base.

:)

Thank you so much for your input. I was looking for different people's oppinions and yours has helped. I am 31 so we are about the same age. We would be looking to live in the suburbs but like the idea of living near a big city as I grew up in a suburb but lived close to a big city. I appreciate you taking time to respond. I know everyone is going to have their own oppions and everyone's will be different so I was just looking to get some different input. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.