Best companies to work for in Memphis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Memphis? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

valerie pleasant in Memphis, Tennessee

84 months ago

federal express,dlh,ups/goverment jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

What's the Hilton - Memphis Corp Culture in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

What's the Hilton corporate - Memphis inside culture?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

What's the Hilton - Memphis Corp Culture in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

valerie pleasant in Memphis, Tennessee said: federal express,dlh,ups/goverment jobs.

What's the feeling of people in Memphis regarding the Hilton corporate office and it's employees? Culture?

Do I want to move to Memphis for a job?

I've checked the Stand & Poors review and comparisons of public school test scores. How are the public schools really? Do most professional level people live in the Memphis city limits or do the live in a suburb?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

In the warm states... Companies? in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

Where would you actually advise and recommend as a good company to check on?

I've reviewed the various list of "Best Companies" and I'm still looking.

Where's the stability and longevity?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Professional Singles Best Cities? in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

What cities are the best for over 37 Professional single adults?

I've seen rankings on singles cities but they usually revolved around colleges and under 30 crowds.

I'm looking for a new career/job preferably with a strong stable company in a warm great city with Professional muture singles. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Denver - What about Denver in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

In the cold states like Colorado. Business travel was quite enjoyable in Colorado as a whole.

How's the Denver outlook? What's the best part of town to live & work? Other cities?

What companies have stability, a good reputation and growth in Colorado?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in Germantown, Tennessee

83 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Memphis? Why are they a great employer?

FedEx is the be-all, end-all employer of Memphis. Various sites throughout the city. Good paying jobs; great promotion opportunities.

University of Memphis - would imagine they have good jobs and great benefits; most universities allow employees to take classes either for free or at a discounted price. But I'm not sure about Memphis. Check them out at Memphis.edu.

Shelby County Government - great jobs if you're into government jobs. I wouldn't work for the City of Memphis, though. You have to live within the city limits in order to work for the City (how dumb is that?)

There are so many banks here, it makes my head spin.

Not sure what jobs pay here in comparison to where you live now, but I do know that the cost of living is low here compared to where I moved from (Maine). Housing is "cheap". Taxes are "cheap" compared to Maine. There is no state income tax, but the State/County makes up for it on sales tax (9.25). You can go to Mississippi to avoid the high tax in TN, but I would recommend shopping in TN because eventually they'd have to have an income tax if everybody started shopping in MS, AR, MO, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

How's Memphis suburb cities? in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Oh, thanks for the info. TX doesn't have state taxes either - thank goodness. Lived in OK a long time ago & they do. Awful! Our sales tax ranges from 7.25 to 8.25 in the metroplex DFW areas. I did a cost comparison & the cost of living is indeed lower in Memphis than in N. Dallas/Frisco, TX.

How are the towns attached to or nearby Memphis? I see you live outside of Memphis. Do most Professional people live in Memphis or do a greater # live outside of the city limits?

For example:
Frisco is actually a town itself that grew as numerous others. Dallas just connects to tons of cities without a break... call them suburbs or cities... it just all runs together. I personally wouldn't live in the Dallas city limits partly due to the schools lower ranking and 2nd the better neighborhoods are very expensive for less sq. ft. by a long shot. Most Dallas residents who have any money (middle class & above) send their kids to Private schools vs. Dallas..... Otherwise they move to the suburb/cities for the schools & lower cost very nice housing. The Frisco, Plano, Las Colinas, Coppell & other attached cities have excellent schools.

I did compare the schools test scores on Standard & Poors. One schools ranked higher. Seemed to be a set area in the Southeast part of Memphis. Still, I didn't know what other cities might be common to live in and also a reasonable drive.

Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

How's Memphis suburb cities? in Frisco, Texas

83 months ago

Are there many Adult over 37 Single-families in Memphis or is it primarily married couples/families?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RACQUEL WARD in Memphis, Tennessee

82 months ago

Norma in Germantown, Tennessee said: FedEx is the be-all, end-all employer of Memphis. Various sites throughout the city. Good paying jobs; great promotion opportunities.

University of Memphis - would imagine they have good jobs and great benefits; most universities allow employees to take classes either for free or at a discounted price. But I'm not sure about Memphis. Check them out at Memphis.edu.

Shelby County Government - great jobs if you're into government jobs. I wouldn't work for the City of Memphis, though. You have to live within the city limits in order to work for the City (how dumb is that?)

There are so many banks here, it makes my head spin.

Not sure what jobs pay here in comparison to where you live now, but I do know that the cost of living is low here compared to where I moved from (Maine). Housing is "cheap". Taxes are "cheap" compared to Maine. There is no state income tax, but the State/County makes up for it on sales tax (9.25). You can go to Mississippi to avoid the high tax in TN, but I would recommend shopping in TN because eventually they'd have to have an income tax if everybody started shopping in MS, AR, MO, etc.

HOW WOULD I APPLY FOR A SHELBY COUNTY GOVERNMENT CLERICAL JOB?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in Memphis, Tennessee

82 months ago

The HR office is located at 160 North Main Street, Memphis TN 38103; their phone number is 901-545-4342.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

memememememe in Memphis, Tennessee

79 months ago

valerie pleasant in Memphis, Tennessee said: federal express,dlh,ups/goverment jobs.

i worked for fed for 3 years it was one of the worst jobs i ever had!!!!!! unless u know some1 your are just another warm body throwing boxes!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Been in Memphis, TN for 4yrs now... in Oakland, Tennessee

75 months ago

We moved here from Montana...Definitely another World down here!!! I agree, best Memphis Job to get, of all time, is FEDEX!! But, getting in is another story, unless you want to be throwing boxes. Like the others have said, you have to KNOW SOMEONE!!! Anyways, Tipton and Fayette Counties are growing rapidly!!! (Suburbs of Memphis)I know in Oakland,TN (Fayette Co.), 80 families a month are moving here!!! ITS NUTS!!! An average 2500+sqft house onthe golf course here costs about $275,000+, and a 1300sqft home costs around $147,000.

You couldn't PAY me to put my kid in a Memphis City School...But there are alot of County Schools that aren't too bad.Collierville or Germantown areas, and they are beautiful places to live also, but a little more expensive...LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION!!! Hope thias is somewhat helpful...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie=) in Memphis, Tennessee

70 months ago

memememememe in Memphis, Tennessee said: i worked for fed for 3 years it was one of the worst jobs i ever had!!!!!! unless u know some1 your are just another warm body throwing boxes!!!!!!

FedEx is a great place to work! If you are a hard worker, have a good attitude, and are motivated, you can go far with the company. It doesn't matter who you know. I work there and I love it. It's the best place to work for. The benefits are excellent and they have loose policies. FedEx takes care of it's employees! If you are lazy...then you won't advance at all. FedEx won't fire you, but you won't move up! That's that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Hardeman county in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

Yeah Fed Ex is one of the BEST! But it is hard to get a job at Fedex if you don't know anyone! If you move to memphis and you have children, You will not want to put them in the city schools. I live in Hardeman County in a little town called Middleton. We have a great school here in Middleton. Yeah I know it is a good drive to memphis to work but, it ways out if you put your kids in a Private school your going to pay more. Hardeman County does have great schools. I love Middleton Elem. I couldn't ask for any better Teachers, THEY ARE THE BEST!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Hardeman county in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

I forgot to mention if you love the simple life Middleton is a small town and the prices for homes are very reasonable.

Carrie=) in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

So, do you work for FedEx?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

NO, I don't work for Fed Ex. I do have 2 brother-in-law's and 1 cousin that does work for Fed Ex. They have been working there for over 20 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus Riley in Memphis, Tennessee

66 months ago

Imb agood work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

friend in Memphis, Tennessee

66 months ago

What's the Hilton - Memphis Corp Culture in Frisco, Texas said: What's the feeling of people in Memphis regarding the Hilton corporate office and it's employees? Culture?

I've checked the Stand & Poors review and comparisons of public school test scores. How are the public schools really? Do most professional level people live in the Memphis city limits or do the live in a suburb?

My wife works for Hilton in Memphis and really enjoys the corporate culture - very open and friendly. I've enjoyed meeting her co-workers.

The public schools can be very good but you have to be picky. We've had good luck with the Germantown school system and I hear Collierville is good, too, but for my taste Collierville is too far away from the city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mario Curry in Memphis, Tennessee

65 months ago

Kim in Memphis, Tennessee said: NO, I don't work for Fed Ex. I do have 2 brother-in-law's and 1 cousin that does work for Fed Ex. They have been working there for over 20 years.

I do have a friend who work at fed ex.

She been there for a while.

I was trying to work there 2 years ago.

But it did not work out for me.

they were full of workers at that time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matty in Delano, Tennessee

59 months ago

What's the Hilton - Memphis Corp Culture in Frisco, Texas said: What's the feeling of people in Memphis regarding the Hilton corporate office and it's employees? Culture?

Do not move to Memphis man. I am warning you. This was the worst mistake I have ever done. The city is a mess and people are so bad. Crimes are higher than any where in the wolrd and people are way behind time.

Matty in Delano, Tennessee

59 months ago

If you are from a big city be prepared for a shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

erleyedit in Memphis, Tennessee

58 months ago

Sorry to say, Memphis City Schools are very poor academically and socially. If you have a child with special needs, this is not the place to be to get excellent support. There is terrible gang violence. It is common to have riots, fights, and lots of in-your-face bullying. School board tolerates all kinds of foul language student-to-student.

People who can escape, do, enrolling their children in private schools or moving to outlying communities such as Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville. One school district, White Station, is fairly decent because the local community has a strong cultural element (Jewish) that values education (no bias intended; just the facts). Those who can't escape beat each other up while the rest cheer or run scared down the halls.

Memphis has one of the highest murder rates per capita in the country. Currently, job market is very tough.

However, the oak trees are gigantic and marvelous, and nothing blooms like the crepe myrtle in Memphis all summer long--pink, purple, white, mauve, and raspberry red. Walk softly under them, and take along a big dog.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

usafmom in Olive Branch, Mississippi

58 months ago

erleyedit in Memphis, Tennessee said: Sorry to say, Memphis City Schools are very poor academically and socially. If you have a child with special needs, this is not the place to be to get excellent support. There is terrible gang violence. It is common to have riots, fights, and lots of in-your-face bullying. School board tolerates all kinds of foul language student-to-student.

People who can escape, do, enrolling their children in private schools or moving to outlying communities such as Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville. One school district, White Station, is fairly decent because the local community has a strong cultural element (Jewish) that values education (no bias intended; just the facts). Those who can't escape beat each other up while the rest cheer or run scared down the halls.

Memphis has one of the highest murder rates per capita in the country. Currently, job market is very tough.

However, the oak trees are gigantic and marvelous, and nothing blooms like the crepe myrtle in Memphis all summer long--pink, purple, white, mauve, and raspberry red. Walk softly under them, and take along a big dog.

You are so correct Memphis sux! I wouldn't enroll my child in the schools in memphis. There are other alternatives such as north mississippi!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mama Mia in Cleveland, Tennessee

55 months ago

Do not move to memphis no matter how much they give you. This place is about 600 years behind civilization. I am serious.... People here are not educated and there are so many criminals to watch for. If you have education and experience, look for a job in a big city where people know how to use a computer and a cell phone. I hate this place and I cannot wait to leave (2 years of pain)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mama Mia in Cleveland, Tennessee

55 months ago

erleyedit in Memphis, Tennessee said: Sorry to say, Memphis City Schools are very poor academically and socially. If you have a child with special needs, this is not the place to be to get excellent support. There is terrible gang violence. It is common to have riots, fights, and lots of in-your-face bullying. School board tolerates all kinds of foul language student-to-student.

Amen to this.
I could not agree more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

khrd72880 in Germantown, Tennessee

43 months ago

Been in Memphis, TN for 4yrs now... in Oakland, Tennessee said: We moved here from Montana...Definitely another World down here!!! I agree, best Memphis Job to get, of all time, is FEDEX!! But, getting in is another story, unless you want to be throwing boxes. Like the others have said, you have to KNOW SOMEONE!!! Anyways, Tipton and Fayette Counties are growing rapidly!!! (Suburbs of Memphis)I know in Oakland,TN (Fayette Co.), 80 families a month are moving here!!! ITS NUTS!!! An average 2500+sqft house onthe golf course here costs about $275,000+, and a 1300sqft home costs around $147,000.

You couldn't PAY me to put my kid in a Memphis City School...But there are alot of County Schools that aren't too bad.Collierville or Germantown areas, and they are beautiful places to live also, but a little more expensive...LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION!!! Hope thias is somewhat helpful...

Its only some schools in the MCS school district that are just terrible. Most of the schools are overcrowded. I said the same exact thing about putting my kid in a city school. I have first hand knowledge because I was a substitute teacher for the school system. I got lucky and moved to Cordova and I must say Cordova Ele is a "wonderful" school! Shelby Oaks, Kate Bond, Germanshire, Oak Forrest Ele are great schools also with wonderful optional programs. I know you have to be in certain zip codes for your child to attend these schools but MCS has a open enrollment sometime during the year where you can change schools for your child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

btc33 in Mississippi State, Mississippi

40 months ago

I am looking to get a job in the marketing field in Memphis. I know a few people there, but that only gets me so far. I have applied at Fed Ex and Service Master for a couple different jobs. I would love to work at a advertising firm, but as of right now am open to anything. Does anyone know of any good open positions or can recommend any good companies to work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

drewdav28 in Collierville, Tennessee

26 months ago

Mama Mia in Cleveland, Tennessee said: Do not move to memphis no matter how much they give you. This place is about 600 years behind civilization. I am serious.... People here are not educated and there are so many criminals to watch for. If you have education and experience, look for a job in a big city where people know how to use a computer and a cell phone. I hate this place and I cannot wait to leave (2 years of pain)

You could use a little education yourself considering your grammar. Please refrain from talking negatively about my friends, family, and home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

guess in Austin, Texas

25 months ago

drew....your "home" is a negative place to live in the first place ! and people DO have their own opinions and set of experiences you know ! I lived in that dump, albeit Germantown for over 13 years, and I would NEVER advise anybody to deliberately choose living in Memphis TN, over a host of other super southern and western (and sw) cities !

Never ! and how's my grammar ??

what a typical parochial Memphian ! that's why the place IS BEHIND so many others !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

guess

10 months ago

guess in Austin, Texas said: drew....your "home" is a negative place to live in the first place ! and people DO have their own opinions and set of experiences you know ! I lived in that dump, albeit Germantown for over 13 years, and I would NEVER advise anybody to deliberately choose living in Memphis TN, over a host of other super southern and western (and sw) cities !

Never ! and how's my grammar ??

what a typical parochial Memphian ! that's why the place IS BEHIND so many others !

Wow! How could anyone take an illiterate person like you serious? It's apparent that you didn't attend school anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Bradenton, Florida

7 months ago

^^^^ you called THAT poster illiterate ?? gee you must be blind yourself in order to come to that obviously false conclusion, or must be one of those 'typical parochial Memphians' the poster was alluding to ?

There is something fishy here with your comeback ! ha ha you just didn't like what the poster said about Memphis because you MUST be from there and live there as well !

No evidence that the poster was 'illiterate' in his post, but plenty of evidence that you're the one with an agenda !

And....btw , Memphis does pretty much SUCK anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.