Where to live around Memphis TN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Relocating in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

35 months ago

My wife, young son, and I are moving to the Memphis area and would like some advice as to where to live. We are looking for a nice suburb in which we can raise our son, and rent an apartment until we are prepared to buy a house, hopefully within the same area. Now, I am looking for POSITIVE responses please, as after researching the area, I have been getting a large mix or responses. We currently live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and are not strangers to crime and taking the necessary precautions that go along with crime. It seems that the negative responses that are only speaking about how "bad" the city is does not help in the fact that I am moving no matter what. Every single major city in America has crime issues and that is not going to change where ever you go. I am just looking for some good advice, as I am moving soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mleigh in Collierville, Tennessee

35 months ago

Relocating in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan said: My wife, young son, and I are moving to the Memphis area and would like some advice as to where to live. We are looking for a nice suburb in which we can raise our son, and rent an apartment until we are prepared to buy a house, hopefully within the same area. Now, I am looking for POSITIVE responses please, as after researching the area, I have been getting a large mix or responses. We currently live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and are not strangers to crime and taking the necessary precautions that go along with crime. It seems that the negative responses that are only speaking about how "bad" the city is does not help in the fact that I am moving no matter what. Every single major city in America has crime issues and that is not going to change where ever you go. I am just looking for some good advice, as I am moving soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Collierville & Arlington are the nicest places to live in Memphis if you are looking for great schools. There is an apartment on highway 64 called Champion Hills that is located in Lakeland (close to arlington) and it's located in great school zones. There is a really nice apartment complex in Collierville on the corner of houston levee and wolf river (not sure of the name). I have lived in collierville for over 20 years and attended collierville schools all the way thru. I have a 12 yr old and 7 yr. old and I would not suggest putting my kids in any other schools other than the arlington and collierville area...it's where everyone here strives to be if you want to be in a neighborhood where people care about others and their things. My kids are now in bartlett school zones which are nice but a step below the other two suburbs. There are not a lot of apartments in arlington so I would suggest starting out in collierville. You will love it! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

imhismrsyoung in Fort Worth, Texas

35 months ago

great places to go and live in MEMPHIS(keywords), TN is in the hickory hill area, germantown, and right outside of memphis in southaven, hornlake, and olivebranch MS. great schools and all near the highway for easy access to any jobs in any area. Originally from memphis,tn Enjoy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

huh in Alva, Florida

31 months ago

hickory hill ?? that's a piece of crap,, it was nice in 1982 but no more,friend

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Austin in Memphis, Tennessee

8 months ago

I do not have children, so I can't really give any advice on the school situation. Some of the public schools are "optional schools" that offer advanced and college prep courses. There are also several private schools to choose from.

Housing in Memphis is *very* affordable. There are many neighborhoods in east Memphis that are very safe, very affordable, and conveniently located in the center of the city. One example is the Sea Isle Park neighborhood in East Memphis. It is located in the south-east corner of the 240 loop. There is a variety of home sizes and prices. You can easily find homes in the price range of $100K to $150K.

Best of luck!
Paul Austin
www.BluffCityFSBO.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Memphis is AWFUL in Netherlands

7 months ago

You will regret moving anywhere close to Memphis.

My advise is to find a better city, ANY city, such as Nashville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curious of the outcome! in Florham Park, New Jersey

7 months ago

Relocating in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan said: My wife, young son, and I are moving to the Memphis area and would like some advice as to where to live. We are looking for a nice suburb in which we can raise our son, and rent an apartment until we are prepared to buy a house, hopefully within the same area. Now, I am looking for POSITIVE responses please, as after researching the area, I have been getting a large mix or responses. We currently live in a suburb of Detroit, Michigan and are not strangers to crime and taking the necessary precautions that go along with crime. It seems that the negative responses that are only speaking about how "bad" the city is does not help in the fact that I am moving no matter what. Every single major city in America has crime issues and that is not going to change where ever you go. I am just looking for some good advice, as I am moving soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would LOVE to know how this worked out for our poster, I too am in MI, Southeastern and my husband is interviewing in Memphis within the next few weeks....where did you land?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.