Moving to Miami - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

40 months ago

I have wanted to live in Miami since 2003. I may finally have a chance to move there soon, and I am excited. When I first went to visit, I noticed a lot of places that were hiring wanted ppl to be bilingual. I guess everyone needs to enroll in a spanish class.

The best places to me were Miami Lakes, Hialeah, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Homestead. The not so good places were Opa Locka, Overtown, Carol City, and Lil Haiti (North Miami).

SN: I have been working on my spanish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

40 months ago

I hope I can go to Miami as well. Working on getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lnpm in Fairfax, Virginia

24 months ago

Hello everybody!

We are a young marriage living in VA but looking to move to Miami. We have a couple of friends there that are willing to help. If we move, we may not have a job. We both work up here but my husband may not be able to telework from Miami. We both are Spanish speakers. Are there any tips and or advices that you could give us before moving? Price wise, how are things (renting, food, gas, entertainment, etc)? Which would be a kid friendly and decent neighborhood? How hard is to get a job? Is it expensive to get Heath insurance if we do not have a job? Thank you for all the information you could give us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vlady vasile .Bucharest in Bucharest, Romania

19 months ago

hello, every one .I am from Romania.I love your contry very much.I worked there like 3 years on the cruise ship (princess criuses company)Me and my husband would like to come to work in USA.Miami.But i heard that is not a good idea any more because of situation there.So i would like to know of any opinion about this kindly regards for everybody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jmagn007 in Austin, Texas

17 months ago

Karen UK in United Kingdom said: Hey Everyone, I am looking to relocate to Miami, FL or Atlanta, GA from London and I am looking for advice on how best to find a job and the best areas to live. I am a qualified Student Welfare Advisor (Student Conuselor) and have worked in education for 11yrs. My daughter has now finished High school and is about to start work for a well known travel company over here. So its is time for me to live life to the full and I think the best place to do this is Miami or Atlanta. I will be coming out to Miami & Atlanta in November 2011 and wanted to know where is the best place to live and find work. I'm not looking to live in down town but don't want to live to far from the action either. Any advice anyone?

Hi Karen,
Would you care to give us an update on your situation? I am an expat too, though I have been in the US for 8 years now. I think there are a few things expats typically face when moving to the US, and maybe we can share and compare experiences.

I, too, am considering making the move to Miami. It seems to be a highly controversial city, but I am guessing it is the case for most big cities worldwide.

I wish you and your daughter well, and hope to read from you very soon!

J~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jhon in Hollywood, Florida

16 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

i came from maryland, i took a plane and hired a miving company www.forwardvanlines.com.
I would probably choose a different naignorhood.r

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maiso.jose in San Juan, Puerto Rico

12 months ago

Hi, i am looking forward to move to Miami in a couple of month. I'm very exited about it. I am moving for study purposes(doctors degree), I'm trying to get a job and a apartment before moving fully. I will visit before on august to know the areas,check on everything i can and hopefully may not be so difficult when i move. I am fully bilingual(spanish, english) have a bachelor degree in psychology, so i hope i will find a job before i move. Any recommendations are welcome.

Julianc Dranga in Jalandhar, India

7 months ago

I am from Julianc Dranga.I love your contry very much.I worked there like 3 years on the cruise ship (princess criuses company)Me and my husband would like to come to work in USA.Miami.But i heard that is not a good idea any more because of situation there.So i would like to know of any opinion about this kindly regards for everybody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rd_8930 in Stamford, Connecticut

6 months ago

alxstatik in Homestead, Florida said: If I had to suggest one place in Miami it would be in Miami lakes. My financial firm is in the process of expanding and we are actually looking for a few people to come on board in the area. There's no need for a financial background. We provide all the training. Let me know if your interested so we can maybe set up an interview.

I know it's been long since last post... But is your firm hiring?...

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

6 months ago

Miami is a DUMP.

Stay away from Miami.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lorena Chavarro in United Kingdom

19 days ago

Rd_8930 in Stamford, Connecticut said: I know it's been long since last post... But is your firm hiring ?...

Still hiring? I'm looking to move to the US.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.