Moving to Miami - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Nelson in Miami, Florida

79 months ago

I moved down about 9 months ago. It is different than what I thought coming from NY all my life. The driving here is a bit crazy. No signaling, the money you make does not at up to the experience or education. Of course all depends on industry, timing, networking. Over all my experience has not been as good as I assume is for others. Still out here trying to find a new career after being in one company for 17 years. Advise I could give. Make sure you look for work or get a position prior to moving down. Get to know the area you would like to live in somewhat. I was lucky had family and friends that already live here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie Pierre in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

vesna from serbia in Irig, Serbia said: I m a nurse. Iwant to work on the FL, Miami.
How to can to do?

Hello... are you a Registered Nurse?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

karin v rozas in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

I love Miami I think is one of the best places to live, you can meet people of diferent countris and the night live is awesome for many reason miami is the best place to live

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Bella28 in Newport, Rhode Island

62 months ago

I'm planning on moving to Miami next May.It will be an my friend. Who knows how the economy will be then, any tips for finding work and apartments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

martz27dan in Troy, Missouri

57 months ago

Rosa in Chicago, Illinois said: Everybody's vibe may be different than the next person; the way I see it, it depends on your intuition and your vibes. I am moving to Miami, FL in less than a month. I was there in March 2008 for two weeks for the first time. It was the best experience for me in my entire life. Someone else might say Chicago is; I say differently. To each, his or her own!

did ya make it there? i just got back and i am so ready to go rite back!! how badly do i need to know spanish? the girl i met there said she's all fine with me comming and stayin till i gotta job and can getta place... her and her friends all speek spanish and it was pretty dificult.. let me know what ya thhink if you ever see this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jacknojack in Tacoma, Washington

56 months ago

I may have a job offer in Miami soon, It's been over 10 years sense I was there.
I need some input from a local as where to find an apartment ( if i get the job ) I am looking to spend 1000.00 to 1500.00 a month but I have no clue as to where the good and bad areas are, and what the cost of living is. I'm coming from tacoma washington with a high cost of living.

Any of you kind folks want to give me some ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Im moving down for spring break and i have a condo for 3 months i just wanna know where the hott spots are?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

norge in Miami, Florida

50 months ago

Rosa in Chicago, Illinois said: Everybody's vibe may be different than the next person; the way I see it, it depends on your intuition and your vibes. I am moving to Miami, FL in less than a month. I was there in March 2008 for two weeks for the first time. It was the best experience for me in my entire life. Someone else might say Chicago is; I say differently. To each, his or her own!

im from miami and i've been to chicago many times and let me tell you that miami has nothing on chicago..you take away the beaches and coconut grove area and miami is a dump,people are rude and stuck-up but like you say to each his/her own...good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Indianapolis, Indiana

39 months ago

I am looking to relocate to Miami in the very next few months, I am tired of snow and bitter cold weather. I need help in finding a job and a good school for my son. We do not want to live in the hood or even close by one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alxstatik in Homestead, Florida

37 months ago

PUPI in Miami, Florida said: Being a professional and I speak Spanish and English is not
enough to find a decent job in Miami. I have a girl, and I've been looking for a good school for her ... until now, only private schools, but they cost a fortune. The jobs here do not pay enough regardless of the educasion or experience you have. People are very rude, and if you go to a restaurant they have no idea of what customer service is (To receive a good service you have to go to places that you can only afford to pay once a year.

If I had to suggest one place in Miami it would be in Miami lakes. My financial firm is in the process of expanding and we are actually looking for a few people to come on board in the area. There's no need for a financial background. We provide all the training. Let me know if your interested so we can maybe set up an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Indianapolis, Indiana

37 months ago

PUPI, thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate it 100%. I believe that my son and I was thinking of Miami based on the television shows and what not that gives Miami the good life look. Yes, we do want to move to a warmer climate but where ever we relocate you we need to be able to live the same if not better life than where we are now. Once again I tahnk you :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

I was in Miami in February of '98. My brother was living in Fort Lauderdale at the time. Miami has its good and bad areas, but for me personally, I do not want to live down there; or anywhere in Florida. I cannot deal with summertime weather all year long; especially the threats of thunderstorms and hurricanes. I would rather have the change of seasons and stay right here in Philly.

My brother had a job there in Fort Lauderdale where he hated his boss. He then quit that job, moved out of Florida, and to Atlanta, where he still lives today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

The Tstorms and the hurricanes are not a problem. The heat is a killer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

37 months ago

I have wanted to live in Miami since 2003. I may finally have a chance to move there soon, and I am excited. When I first went to visit, I noticed a lot of places that were hiring wanted ppl to be bilingual. I guess everyone needs to enroll in a spanish class.

The best places to me were Miami Lakes, Hialeah, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Homestead. The not so good places were Opa Locka, Overtown, Carol City, and Lil Haiti (North Miami).

SN: I have been working on my spanish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chandelier4678 in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee said: I have wanted to live in Miami since 2003. I may finally have a chance to move there soon, and I am excited. When I first went to visit, I noticed a lot of places that were hiring wanted ppl to be bilingual. I guess everyone needs to enroll in a spanish class.

The best places to me were Miami Lakes, Hialeah, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Homestead. The not so good places were Opa Locka, Overtown, Carol City, and Lil Haiti (North Miami).

SN: I have been working on my spanish.

That is so cool! Hopefully, you will decide to come! There are alot of great things here! By the way, I live in Coconut Grove, FL, and I have been here from Chicago, since July 2008.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

37 months ago

I hope I can go to Miami as well. Working on getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Atlanta, Georgia

35 months ago

I am U.S. citizen with the birthright of this nation to be free to live in any state I chose. I am planning to relocate to Miami as I am facinated by the geographic location, and aesthetic appeal of the beaches, arts and cultures, which also includes West Indian tropics. If all it takes to get a job in one of America's beautiful coastal cities is expanding one's intellect and acquiring a new language skill, then sign me up for un clase de Espanol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Karen UK in United Kingdom

32 months ago

Hey Everyone, I am looking to relocate to Miami, FL or Atlanta, GA from London and I am looking for advice on how best to find a job and the best areas to live. I am a qualified Student Welfare Advisor (Student Conuselor) and have worked in education for 11yrs. My daughter has now finished High school and is about to start work for a well known travel company over here. So its is time for me to live life to the full and I think the best place to do this is Miami or Atlanta. I will be coming out to Miami & Atlanta in November 2011 and wanted to know where is the best place to live and find work. I'm not looking to live in down town but don't want to live to far from the action either. Any advice anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Qgasim Hassan in United Arab Emirates

31 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I am a US National. I studied in the U.A.E. Dubai. I have a Higher Diploman in Human Resources Management. I am looking for a high paying position in a high-end hotel well know in Miami, FL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

PatoMia31 in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

Well im from philly and i lived in hawaii, reno, vegas and now miami i have to say miami cant speak for any other cities in florida but its the worst i ever lived in. THE jobs out here ( are u serious) i know the economy is bad but having to speak spanish ontop of that is ridiculous.I thought this was the united states not argentina.I beleive there is predjudicy against blacks also,im not jus saying that because im black either,ive been around other races for quite sometime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

App in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

alxstatik in Homestead, Florida said: If I had to suggest one place in Miami it would be in Miami lakes. My financial firm is in the process of expanding and we are actually looking for a few people to come on board in the area. There's no need for a financial background. We provide all the training. Let me know if your interested so we can maybe set up an interview.

Is this offer still available ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Kansas City, Missouri

27 months ago

Moving to Miami??? You must not be very smart and/or young. Miami is a sh*thole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Relocation1 in Orlando, Florida

27 months ago

Hello,

Thank you for your advice regarding relocation to Miami. You said you have a financial business and I was wondering if you can tell a little more about your company and what your company name and website details are.

I am very interested to hear more. I am currently in Orlando Florida. So please some more info about your company would be wonderful. Who know that offer of an interview I may just take you up on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miami Born and raised in Marietta, Ohio

25 months ago

Miami.. I was born and raised in Miami. It is a horrid city. If you do not speak Spanish you are summarily screwed. It is a dump. I was raised in Little Havana. Brownsville, Little Haiti is not in N. Miami. Opa Locka which is should def be avoided. Liberty City. Places to live Miami Lakes , Kendall- Note Spanish is needed here. , Homestead is good just far from the city. Doral is nice, near the airport. avoid Hialeah Spanish is DEFINITELY needed here. Coconut Grove is okay in some parts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Miami Born and raised in Marietta, Ohio

25 months ago

Andrea in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am U.S. citizen with the birthright of this nation to be free to live in any state I chose. I am planning to relocate to Miami as I am facinated by the geographic location, and aesthetic appeal of the beaches, arts and cultures, which also includes West Indian tropics. If all it takes to get a job in one of America's beautiful coastal cities is expanding one's intellect and acquiring a new language skill, then sign me up for un clase de Espanol!

I stumbled on this old thread. I have to say most of you wanting to come to Miami are misguided. It is totally different in every single way imaginable from atlanta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rosa in Miami Beach, Florida

25 months ago

Miami Born and raised in Marietta, Ohio said: I stumbled on this old thread. I have to say most of you wanting to come to Miami are misguided. It is totally different in every single way imaginable from atlanta

Welcome to Miami, Andrea in Atlanta! You have a very positive attitude! Expanding one's intellect represents wisdom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KMG06 in Flowood, Mississippi

25 months ago

I am from Philly and lived in Miami for 5yrs.
I moved down with my sister and had a aunt and
uncle who had resided outside of Miami for yrs.
This is a great place to have fun partying if
you are in to that. However as far as work ethics and
the big fortune 500 type business like we have
up North, they are for sure not in Miami. The pay is
so low because they have plenty of immigrants who
are willing to take that kind of pay.
Why pay a college grad kootles of money???
That was the problem I had when it came to
jobs the pay, in the fact your mortgage/rent
is 850 a month or more. Stress for sure, and
as far as beaches and going out. You will barely
be able to do that when you are getting paid pennies.
Good Luck to anyone moving there especially now.
It was hard 15yrs ago when I moved there, so I can
only imagine how it is now.

Signed happy I moved from Miami, but love to visit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yo yo in Chesapeake, Virginia

25 months ago

in va bout to goto college in miami gardens whats up with that place round der aint trying to seek trouble when i get there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yo yo in Chesapeake, Virginia

25 months ago

in va bout to goto college in miami gardens whats up with that place round der aint trying to seek trouble when i get there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

divadivine in New York, New York

24 months ago

I was uber excited to move to miami until I read the other posts. I am still going to give it a year of my life and hope to find a job before I get there. Im in need of some good advice though, what should I do first besides find a job? Will I be able to get an apartment without the job or do I stay in a hotel, get the job, then the apartment? I've never lived outside of N.Y. and will definitely appreciate the feedback. Help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

divadivine in New York, New York

24 months ago

I was uber excited to move to miami until I read the other posts. I am still going to give it a year of my life and hope to find a job before I get there. Im in need of some good advice though, what should I do first besides find a job? Will I be able to get an apartment without the job or do I stay in a hotel, get the job, then the apartment? I've never lived outside of N.Y. and will definitely appreciate the feedback. Help!!!

Rachel in North Miami Beach, Florida

24 months ago

Little Haiti and North Miami are not the same area.

Rachel in North Miami Beach, Florida

24 months ago

You definitely shouldn't moved to Miami Gardens if you are trying to stay out of trouble lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blairtje13 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

This is an old post, but I see people are still responding. I lived in Miami briefly in 2004. It's a great city, but I had a bad experience there because I was not prepared. I was young and figured I could just pick up and move and find a job once I arrived like I had done so many other times. I was wrong. I had worked in retail for several years and had a difficult time even finding a retail job because I didn't speak Spanish. Eventually, I was able to find one at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I had a bad time in Miami because I was broke and didn't have the chance to really experience the city. That said, have a job offer before you move to Miami, and learn Spanish if you don't already know it.

Besides the negative experience I had due to my lack of preparation, I really liked it there. I was concerned about not fitting in because I'm not very attractive, but it wasn't a problem. I met some very nice people during my stay in Miami, especially at Bed Bath & Beyond where I spent most of my time. My manager was so kind and even invited me to his house for Thanksgiving. Another coworker made a scarf for me when I decided to move back to Holland.

Miami can be dangerous, just like any other city or even small town. I am trying to move back (if I get a job offer) so I can truly experience the city and hopefully make it my home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lnpm in Fairfax, Virginia

21 months ago

Hello everybody!

We are a young marriage living in VA but looking to move to Miami. We have a couple of friends there that are willing to help. If we move, we may not have a job. We both work up here but my husband may not be able to telework from Miami. We both are Spanish speakers. Are there any tips and or advices that you could give us before moving? Price wise, how are things (renting, food, gas, entertainment, etc)? Which would be a kid friendly and decent neighborhood? How hard is to get a job? Is it expensive to get Heath insurance if we do not have a job? Thank you for all the information you could give us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vlady vasile .Bucharest in Bucharest, Romania

15 months ago

hello, every one .I am from Romania.I love your contry very much.I worked there like 3 years on the cruise ship (princess criuses company)Me and my husband would like to come to work in USA.Miami.But i heard that is not a good idea any more because of situation there.So i would like to know of any opinion about this kindly regards for everybody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jmagn007 in Austin, Texas

13 months ago

Karen UK in United Kingdom said: Hey Everyone, I am looking to relocate to Miami, FL or Atlanta, GA from London and I am looking for advice on how best to find a job and the best areas to live. I am a qualified Student Welfare Advisor (Student Conuselor) and have worked in education for 11yrs. My daughter has now finished High school and is about to start work for a well known travel company over here. So its is time for me to live life to the full and I think the best place to do this is Miami or Atlanta. I will be coming out to Miami & Atlanta in November 2011 and wanted to know where is the best place to live and find work. I'm not looking to live in down town but don't want to live to far from the action either. Any advice anyone?

Hi Karen,
Would you care to give us an update on your situation? I am an expat too, though I have been in the US for 8 years now. I think there are a few things expats typically face when moving to the US, and maybe we can share and compare experiences.

I, too, am considering making the move to Miami. It seems to be a highly controversial city, but I am guessing it is the case for most big cities worldwide.

I wish you and your daughter well, and hope to read from you very soon!

J~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jhon in Hollywood, Florida

12 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

i came from maryland, i took a plane and hired a miving company www.forwardvanlines.com.
I would probably choose a different naignorhood.r

maiso.jose in San Juan, Puerto Rico

9 months ago

Hi, i am looking forward to move to Miami in a couple of month. I'm very exited about it. I am moving for study purposes(doctors degree), I'm trying to get a job and a apartment before moving fully. I will visit before on august to know the areas,check on everything i can and hopefully may not be so difficult when i move. I am fully bilingual(spanish, english) have a bachelor degree in psychology, so i hope i will find a job before i move. Any recommendations are welcome.

Julianc Dranga in Jalandhar, India

4 months ago

I am from Julianc Dranga.I love your contry very much.I worked there like 3 years on the cruise ship (princess criuses company)Me and my husband would like to come to work in USA.Miami.But i heard that is not a good idea any more because of situation there.So i would like to know of any opinion about this kindly regards for everybody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rd_8930 in Stamford, Connecticut

3 months ago

alxstatik in Homestead, Florida said: If I had to suggest one place in Miami it would be in Miami lakes. My financial firm is in the process of expanding and we are actually looking for a few people to come on board in the area. There's no need for a financial background. We provide all the training. Let me know if your interested so we can maybe set up an interview.

I know it's been long since last post... But is your firm hiring?...

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

3 months ago

Miami is a DUMP.

Stay away from Miami.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.