Experienced Administrative Asst. Unable to Find Decent Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

DLaing22 in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

I am a professional Administrative Assistant who worked for over 20 years at a real estate company before my job was suddenly terminated by a company takeover last year.
Since then, I have been trying my hardest to find a job the best way I know how by responding to ads and seeing recruiters, but a year a later have not been offered a single decent position.
I understand that a big problem here is pay. I have been a professional Assistant for over 25 years and will not accept an entry-level salary. Ignoring experience, no home-owning person can live on a $25-$30K base salary in South Florida.
I previously earned in the upper 40s but I am willing to lower my expectations to the mid-30s if the job is right. I simply cannot live on less than that. So far, I have been offered four jobs that all paid under $16 an hour for serious work.
I have spent nearly one year in endless interviews, hearing employers and recruiters laud my experience and skills, but all never calling me again after the interview was over.
I have been called back for second interviews, where the employment prospect finally seemed very promising, only to be met with silence in the following days.
I have become very cynical, and very confused. I completely understand that I am in Miami, and not being 25 years old with a four-year degree who will work without benefits is a disadvantage.
But I like to believe that my professionalism and experience should speak for themselves and ultimately be worth more to an organization than youth or the ability to speak Spanish.
I post here in hopes to communicate my message and let others know that a highly competent, considerate, and experienced Administrative Assistant has been earnestly seeking respectable work, and would sincerely appreciate someone's time and consideration for a good job.
Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LAN8TV in San Diego, California

78 months ago

Sorry to hear about your disappointing job search. I can tell you that based on my experience (I've been unemployed for the past 4 months) that most jobs paying what you need are looking for someone with a 4-year degree. Is there someway you could maybe return to school and get at least a 2-year Associate? How about researching the virtual assistant field--I understand that's becoming a hot ticket!

I'm kinda in the same situation you are...although I do have a BS in Business Admin and 3 years of experience. Most of the jobs advertised don't come close to being able covering the cost to live here!

Anyway, keep up with the search and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Van Nuys, California

73 months ago

[Hello DLaing22

I will tell you what even having a four year degree and being young does not work to your advantage. I am 29 years old graduated with a b.S. in fiance with a minor in Economics about a year ago last january only work I can find is part-time as Sears which pays bad it is commission but with no one buying anything the pay is bad.. I am losing hope in eveyr finding anything with a decent pay. I am living with my parents which is not good. Sometimes I think I have no futre and think about just going and living the rest of my life on skid row with the homeless. .

Sunszu in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

72 months ago

I have to agree with you. I moved down to South Florida a year ago after taking a buy out package from my company that was downsizing. I wanted to get out before the hammer dropped. Anyhow, I also have my BA and have 13 years in management in a variety of area's. I don't know if I am over qualified. One thing for sure after you interview for a job down here the only way for sure you know you didn't get the job is they don't even have the curtesy to call. I have been every where applying for jobs I never thought I would take or salary. 6 hitting the pavement. Good luck. What other choice do we have.

maria blanco in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

Hey out there:

I have been looking for office work myself for the past 6 months.
Been applying on line through Monster.com, CareerBuilders.com: so many recruiters but no work. Like you said Sunszu, they don't even have the courtesy to respond.

I've tried applying in department stores, 7Eleven, Gas stations, FPL, AT&T and nothing. I recently heard that UPS is accepting applications. I guess they are getting ready for the holiday.

Good Luck in your searches!

Lamarcus Larry in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

If you are looking for a job you might want to consider this company EDT that is just getting ready to open its doors in Tampa Fl.
They will be selling cell phones all over the world. They are using AT&T for their provider. Ck them out

www.edtint.com

Lamarcus
cobia4429@yahoo.com

maria blanco in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

Good morning to you Lamarcus and I would like to say thank you for sharing the information about EDT opening in Tampa, Florida but the distance is really far but I did check them out on line and applied anyway to see what happens.

Not thinking of relocating but you never know. Thanks again!
Maria

E Smith in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

Hi to all:
I understand the no employment crisis a major percent of the population is experiencing right now. I want to help put to work as many of those people in need asap! I am with a company who has positions soon to become available in the sales/distribution department. Please send me your contact information to: elitesista1@gmail.com. I will reply to all inqueries in a timely manner. Only serious and work motivated people reply please who want to make some serious income to where you can walk away set for life anywheres from 6 months to year...depending upon how much $$$ you want to make???. Looking to hear from you soon.
E.Smith

depplover2344 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

58 months ago

what is the job population for miami florida in the last 10 years? I am doing going a project and I just cant seem to find out this information,if anyone could help me that would be helpful.
- thanks

Linda Yin Liang in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

Sunszu in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I have to agree with you. I moved down to South Florida a year ago after taking a buy out package from my company that was downsizing. I wanted to get out before the hammer dropped. Anyhow, I also have my BA and have 13 years in management in a variety of area's. I don't know if I am over qualified. One thing for sure after you interview for a job down here the only way for sure you know you didn't get the job is they don't even have the curtesy to call. I have been every where applying for jobs I never thought I would take or salary. 6 hitting the pavement. Good luck. What other choice do we have.

You are so right on "they don't even have courtesy to call or email"...It is good you say it because I thought it was only me and they just did not like me, which worsen my spirit.

Keep going. I suggest we take it as a game of numbers. Say expect 20 interviews will land us a job? That's what I am doing.

Good luck to all of us.

mary in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

Linda, don't count on after 20 interviews you will get hired for a job. It's a numbers game alright - $9.00 an hour or $12.00 an hour. If you are getting unemployment it doesn't make sense to even apply to those jobs.

Just this morning, there was a legal secretary job on craiglist, experience necessary, must be able to start without any assistance - $9.00 an hour.

mcblanco in Miami, Florida

58 months ago

hi guys: i finally got a job at a gym: babysitting. can you believe it. i love kids of all ages but to have a job with so many, well at least it pays some of the utilities.

I'm still searching for a better paying job. I am so greatful I found this one but at 7.75 an hour and they have me working from 8:30 to 12 and then go back from 5 to 9:30. it's not an easy task but like i say, i am greatful.

Good luck to all and remember that in some radio station like power 96, they make job announcements.

CMFS in Naples, Florida

57 months ago

Hi there, yes, I have to agree... it is very disappoiting. I have a BA in Business and the best I could get so far is a little banl job that pays a little over $15/hour. I used to have a part-time job in a restaurant where they paid me $12/hour. It was ok with both jobs, but when I lost the restaurant job I got screwed. $15/hour can barely pay your bills. Now season is coming and I got offered a part-time job in a different restaurant... and guess what? They refuse to pay you more than $10/hour. Now, I was thinking about getting my MBA in Finance. I started to wonder, is it really worth it? You get a MBA because you want to have a better job, and they may still not offer you one, because now you may be overqualified...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.