Best companies to work for in New Orleans?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in New Orleans? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

Mr New Orleans in Mandeville, Louisiana

66 months ago

Mayor=Black man
Chief of police=Black Man
Sheriff of Orleans parish = Black man

Man when you write something negative please make sure you have the right information If not you sound un-educated.
About 35% of america refined oil comes frome the southeastern part of Louisiana
75% Of the seafood in the usa comes from new orleans and surrounding areas.
apparently you're not from here so maybe you don't know what new Orleans is about, but I can tell you it's one of the best cities in the world.

Thanks
A proud New Orleanian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

To the New Yorker in New Orleans, Louisiana

63 months ago

New Orleans has a rich cultural heritage--Spanish, French, Creole, Cajun, and finally American--that complicates the historical racial divisions beyond defining it in simple terms such as "black" or "white." To do so is to forget the fact that many creole elites have dominated New Orleans politics for generations. Another random fact, New Orleans had the first black statesman, the lieutenant governor.

Although New Orleans used to be America's biggest port city, the Hudson Canal ensured its rival, New York, economic domination over New Orleans. Since then, however, New Orleans has thrived culturally in a way most people cannot explain. There is something romantic about its slow pace, its purple skies, the steam boat blowing in the distance; that make visitors stay. It may be "inefficient" and everyone here knows politics here are pretty dirty (then again, where in America is it not?); but in New Orleans, you feel that life is worth living.

I would hate if New Orleans ever became as "efficient" as the northeast. The New York subway seems more like a slave ship, everyone is stressed, miserable, no one makes contact or talks to each other. If this is what you mean by "trying to change the place," I'm personally thankful that you decided to leave. This clearly is not the city for you. In New Orleans, things go slowly because life for New Orleanians is not about efficiency, but enjoyment. There are many Clevelands in America, but there is only one New Orleans. I went to public school in New Orleans, 75% black, and now attend Tulane University which is predominantly white, has more than 75% out of state students, most from the North East, particularly from New York. I have a lot of New Yorker friends, they are incredible people, and love the city. Most are going to stay here after they graduate. They too preach about racism. It is interesting to note, however, how terrified they look when they realize they're in the hood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

To the New Yorker in New Orleans, Louisiana

63 months ago

Oh, and considering that you believe yourself intellectually superior and find the need to correct other people's spelling, I'm sure you meant "under you(R) Wendy's uniform." Maybe you just couldn't get a job in New Orleans because you are STUPID :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Wholistic Libra/5-26-09 in Reno, Nevada

62 months ago

I arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana in March 2007; during my volunteering time it was a learning experience for me but at the same time; I experience and saw a lot of things that should have not happened here in the United States of America. This country is not and does not want to pick up New Orleans and put it back on the map; Shame on America, for having their sister city and fellow countrymen in New Orleans,forgotten.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

NolaCaliGirl in West Covina, California

62 months ago

If you can get on with the oil companies you'll be set.
The job market has improved whereas the rest of the US is struggling. My family is considering moving back for job opportunities if you can believe that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ROBIN504 in Brooklyn, New York

55 months ago

Mr New Orleans in Mandeville, Louisiana said: Mayor=Black man

Man when you write something negative please make sure you have the right information If not you sound un-educated.
apparently you're not from here so maybe you don't know what new Orleans is about, but I can tell you it's one of the best cities in the world.

Thanks
A proud New Orleanian

Dish it, My Man...! Dish it! A Proud New Orleanian doing time in NYC!! YesInDEED, as we say! I'll have NO problem becoming employed once I return--- with my self-possessed/self-taught education as well as my formal education!

R504

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bama jammer in New Orleans, Louisiana

52 months ago

Thanks
A proud New Orleanian

Just because oil and seafood come from LA does not mean jobs are plentiful in these fields unless you are a fisherman or a next generation oil refinery individual

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wow!!! in Mandeville, Louisiana

50 months ago

Wow!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mindandbody in Chalmette, Louisiana

50 months ago

i agree with the first comment that was at the top of the page. yes there is is a black mayor, so what!!! he is from somewhere else and is not ..i repeat is not doing anything for the people of new orleans yeah be proud to be a citizen of new orleans the home of the crime filled streets and no real chance to get ahead
from...

an educated black woman that doesnt have kids and does not collect welfare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

new orleans east in New Orleans, Louisiana

38 months ago

i was hoping to get some information on a company i was interested in gaining employment.
As i read through some of the responses, it realy grieved my spirit. New Orleans is by no stretch a metroplis of opportunity. New Orleans is not a growing city either. In fact we have lost residents according to the last census. What i do know is that there are no perfect places. Things can always be alot better.
unemployment and lack among the educated and uneducated is found everywhere. If I'm not mistaken educated and uneducated people are global. gainful employment or lack of has no discrimination. the unemployment line has all the colors of the rainbow.

In terms of Politics, my personal belief is that all politicians are dirty. If not directly, they are indirectly; they have guilty knowledge. Information they are unable/will not reveal because of the possible negetive reprecussions it may have on them and/or their political careers.

If one must chose to throw darts, thro them at the haves and not the have nots. in this day, that division has never been more clear. If you follow the money it will lead you to everything that is wrong with our world; not just Obama.

With all the death that has been amongst our world, one would think we could do a better job at being supportive of one another.

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in New Orleans? Why are they a great employer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Saratoga Springs, New York

37 months ago

Thanks
A proud New Orleanian

Those people are probably TOKENS like Boston's black female Episcopal diocesan bishop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Saratoga Springs, New York

37 months ago

To the New Yorker in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Another random fact, New Orleans had the first black statesman, the lieutenant governor.

Although New Orleans used to be America's biggest port city, the Hudson Canal ensured its rival, New York, economic domination over New Orleans. Since then, however, New Orleans has thrived culturally in a way most people cannot explain. There is something romantic about its slow pace, its purple skies, the steam boat blowing in the distance; that make visitors stay. It may be "inefficient" and everyone here knows politics here are pretty dirty (then again, where in America is it not?); but in New Orleans, you feel that life is worth living.

I went to public school in New Orleans, 75% black, and now attend Tulane University which is predominantly white, has more than 75% out of state students, most from the North East, particularly from New York. I have a lot of New Yorker friends, they are incredible people, and love the city.

Somehow I doubt that anyone who went to Louisiana public schools ever gets into Columbia or Cornell or even NYU, let alone Yale, Princeton or Johns Hopkins.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jen_and_tonic in New Orleans, Louisiana

37 months ago

Kelly in Saratoga Springs, New York said:

@Kelly, My best friend went to public school in Slidell, and graduated from Columbia for his Bachelor's, and went on to get two Masters from Tulane. He now works for the Recovery School District in New Orleans. It's possible. :) Not probable by any means, but definitely POSSIBLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chezenvy in Covington, Louisiana

37 months ago

Jeeez people, i was just looking for job market info. freakin forum jockeys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Flerpi in Pearl River, Louisiana

30 months ago

To actually answer your question, tourism, oil, and seafood are indeed the top industries. However, there are some key facts being overlooked here.

Louisiana offers tax incentives to both the film industry and the digital media industry, and both are growing in New Orleans. I know for a fact that the digital media companies are looking for graphic artists, web designers, coders, etc.

Also, if you're not looking to live IN New Orleans - or don't mind a longish commute - I feel the need to point to Stennis Space Center in nearby Mississippi. www.nasa.gov/centers/stennis/about/jobs/
Stennis probably has the biggest concentration of high-paying jobs around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lbaby in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

29 months ago

I went to public school in New orleans and was accepted into Johns Hopkins. But why am I wasting my time telling you this...you are clearly a close-minded snob...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorian in Indianapolis, Indiana

25 months ago

I was searching for info on careers and life for black singles in New Orleans when I stumbled upon this forum- interesting. Despite the negative points made here, it seems N.O. is calling Me to relocate there. People can argue all day about what a place is or isnt, but in the end, your experience is what you make it. I'm also a firm believer that what God has in store for you will be yours regardless or statistics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura Petrie in New Orleans, Louisiana

20 months ago

To the guy who graduated from Columbia and finds it necessary to work in the Recovery School District: God help you.
My brother says, "I can't live in Louisiana. Their are stupid people everywhere, but the people in Louisiana are in worse shape than anywhere else." I feel we have made a great effort to earn that 50th place in education, and we desperately deserve it.
The people here do not want to grow, thrive, or even live. They want to drink.
The Governor says on a CBS broadcast, "My mother always told me that in any given time in Louisiana, half the state is under water and the other half is under indictment."
I say half the state is in NYC and the other half has its head in the sand, and will stay that way as long as businesses are run as plantations. It is a VERY oppressive work environment, and is quite proud of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.