Anyone familiar with the NYC government hiring process?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Jamal in Birmingham, Alabama

55 months ago

Well I'm actually in the same boat as you, I received an offer in November with the DEP, the problem I have is the fact that I currently live in Alabama and have to relocate, but I have no start date, now the lease in my apartment is up and I don't want to renew and then have to pay to break it when they call. The thing is the final word is passed down from the dept. of human resources and not from DEP, so the hiring supervisor in DEP has no idea when the final word will come down, I think it is a shame to have someone on hold for 6 months waiting for the hiring to be approved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

Jamal in Birmingham, Alabama said: Well I'm actually in the same boat as you, I received an offer in November with the DEP, the problem I have is the fact that I currently live in Alabama and have to relocate, but I have no start date, now the lease in my apartment is up and I don't want to renew and then have to pay to break it when they call. The thing is the final word is passed down from the dept. of human resources and not from DEP, so the hiring supervisor in DEP has no idea when the final word will come down, I think it is a shame to have someone on hold for 6 months waiting for the hiring to be approved.

Jamal, have you heard from DEP yet? I've been waiting for two months, and it sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kazue in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

I am in the same situation. I got the verbal offer in mid-February. Now it's the end of May and I still haven't got the slightest idea when I am supposed to start. When I called last week, I was only told that it could be another weeks or even months till I know my starting date. My understanding is that it is partly due to the current NYC budget. Like Jamal, I need to relocate as well, but am not able to make any solid plans as of yet. It is frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJC in New York, New York

51 months ago

Bonnie in Elmhurst, New York said: Hi! Anyone familiar with the hiring process for the NYC government agencies? I went on an interview and received an offer for employment back in the Summer of 2009. I gave them copies of diploma and other things to process my paperwork. However, it is now almost 6 months later and they tell me that they are still processing my paperwork and cannot tell me how much longer I need to wait. I meet all the qualification for the position and have good record so my background check should be ok. Does anyone know what is going on?

The hold-up might have to do with budget constraints. Call your local city council person and see if they can find out what's going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

GDD in Elmsford, New York

48 months ago

Hi - did any of you ever end up getting cleared? If so, how long did it take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kazz in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

I had my first interview in mid-December, got a verbal offer in mid-February, went in for fingerprints in mid-April, got the official starting date in early July, and finally started in the beginning of August. It was an 8 months process overall. What a nonsense. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Guild81 in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Looks like there hasn't been any activity on this thread for a while. I interviewed for a position with the Dept of Homeless Services. A couple of weeks later, the individual who interviewed me called me back to reiterate the level of responsibility, expectations etc..and asked me for 2 references to make direct contact with her through email, and a copy of my W2. I got all of that to this individual in a couple of hours. Later that same day, they called back and gave me a est. salary. They phrased it as "we are trying to put together an offer". A week later they called me and asked me for a writing sample, which I provided in about an hour. Its been about a month since then and I have not heard anything at all. I played phone tag with the individual who interviewed me originally but gave up as I felt I was pestering people. Does anyone have any familiarity with NYC-DHS and how long this usually takes??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

md in Bethpage, New York

30 months ago

Guild and Sara. Just out of curiosity, how much time passed between when you applied for the City position and when you were called in for an interview? Thx!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna87 in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

Guild81 the process takes a while! It is pretty frustrating. I received a verbal offer in February and I'm still waiting on a start date.

I interviewed in January and received the offer a month after, so that process was not so tedious. Unfortunately, you just have to be patient as the process is quite laborious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Temple, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Sara in New York, New York said: Hello all, I currently got a official offer for a NYC job to start in July. However I am planning to move within the 5 boroughs as I live in westchester county. I wanted to ask how long must I live in NYC before I can move out to westchester again while working for this job??

Does anyone know as to how this process works??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Brooklyn, New York

17 months ago

Hi,

I was given an verbal offer about 3 weeks ago with NYCDEP. I never heard back. Can you guys tell me about your experience as to what steps are next? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in New York, New York

16 months ago

Appears to be if your family is a large donor to the Andrew Cuomo that is that only way a young, proactive person can get a job in state government. Civil Service is obsolete with no hiring over the past 5 years, you can take a test and if you are lucky 5 years later they might call you off the list.

I was given a verbal offer at the Attorney Generals office and asked if the salary was negotiable, they said, "we'll get back to you" and they never did. I followed up with a nice email, phone call.

It's very disturbing how the hiring process is with the state of NY is very corrupt. Just read the recent article in the NY Times about the hiring practices by Empire State Development. This seems to be the way they hire across the state.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Anon in New York, New York said: Appears to be if your family is a large donor to the Andrew Cuomo that is that only way a young, proactive person can get a job in state government . Civil Service is obsolete with no hiring over the past 5 years, you can take a test and if you are lucky 5 years later they might call you off the list.

Same here. If you are looking for gub'mint work, it helps if you are: related to someone on the inside or your name is Princess Shaniqua.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mandeville in Seaford, New York

15 months ago

Anna87 in Brooklyn, New York said: Guild81 the process takes a while! It is pretty frustrating. I received a verbal offer in February and I'm still waiting on a start date.

I interviewed in January and received the offer a month after, so that process was not so tedious. Unfortunately, you just have to be patient as the process is quite laborious.

Hi Are you working with them now. I recently completed an exam and trying to learn about the process.

Alfa in Elmhurst, New York

15 months ago

HI. I have a job interview with NYC DEP for Electrical Engineering Intern position. Can you tell me what type of interview did you faced?

DMC in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

David in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi,

I was given an verbal offer about 3 weeks ago with NYCDEP. I never heard back. Can you guys tell me about your experience as to what steps are next? Thank you.

I currently NYCHHC and had an interview with NYCDHS in January 2013. I was contacted in February and informed that I was selected for the position. I was asked for a copy of my SS card in which I produced the next day. I contacted the person who interviewed me and was told that my paperwork was then sent to OMB for approval. I contacted the site supervisor at least once a month for 4 months and was only told that my paperwork was awaiting approval from OMB. Now here we are 5 months after I was accepted for the position and received a phone call saying OMB approved my paper work and I should be hearing from them any day now when I ask for a time frame no one was able to give me one. When I contacted NYCDHS’s HR department I was told that it could take anywhere form 2 weeks up to another 6 months before they contact my HR department to request a transfer from my agency to theirs. I’m sure severely city agencies have lost good selected candidates for position due to this long waiting process. I would really like to know why this process is so long. Does it really take 6 months to review an agencies departmental budget and determine if a position is warranted and if the salary is acceptable within that department’s budget?

Anon in New Hyde Park, New York

13 months ago

WOW I just for a verbal offer from the DEP saying they would like to move fwd with the process now Im thinking maybe mine will take at least 6 months to hear anything?

Took A While in Brooklyn, New York

12 months ago

Hello to all,

I applied for a position with NYC-ACS on or around April 2013, I had my first group interview the beginning of may. I made the cut for the 2nd interview, So 3 weeks later I attend the 2nd interview and then I had to provide references. Around the middle of June I received a verbal offer. I did not hear anything until last week of August. So i processed last week and I start tomorrow (sept 9th) so it was about a 5 month total process. I was working a temp job, because I was told if you hired it would take a long time. The Temp job ended on the 6th so it lined right up, I couldn't imagine waiting 3 or 4 months to start working with no income. Good luck to all.

:-) in New York, New York

10 months ago

Took A While in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello to all,

I applied for a position with NYC-ACS on or around April 2013, I had my first group interview the beginning of may. I made the cut for the 2nd interview, So 3 weeks later I attend the 2nd interview and then I had to provide references. Around the middle of June I received a verbal offer. I did not hear anything until last week of August. So i processed last week and I start tomorrow (sept 9th) so it was about a 5 month total process. I was working a temp job, because I was told if you hired it would take a long time. The Temp job ended on the 6th so it lined right up, I couldn't imagine waiting 3 or 4 months to start working with no income. Good luck to all.

What position was this for?

Department of Small Business in New Hyde Park, New York

9 months ago

I interviewed with the Department of Small Business a couple of weeks ago.
It seemed to go very well and they requested references, said they would have a decision by the end of last week.
Sent my references, no updates for a week. Sent a brief status email a couple of days ago, still no updates.
They explained to me that they have to wait for new mayor to be sworn in and the position to be approved, they stated I would start prob in Feb. It's a union position so there are a lot of formalities to go through.
Not sure what to make of all this, any feedback would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Department of Small Business in New Hyde Park, New York said: I interviewed with the Department of Small Business a couple of weeks ago.
It seemed to go very well and they requested references, said they would have a decision by the end of last week.
Sent my references, no updates for a week. Sent a brief status email a couple of days ago, still no updates.
They explained to me that they have to wait for new mayor to be sworn in and the position to be approved, they stated I would start prob in Feb. It's a union position so there are a lot of formalities to go through.
Not sure what to make of all this, any feedback would be appreciated.

Getting any gub'mint job can take a long time. In addition to all the obstacles, the competition is intense. Personally, I would keep looking and put this on the back burner. All you have now are nice stories.

Mike in Babylon, New York

8 months ago

I am in the New York State employee hiring process.

Had my first face to face interview with a panel of potential co workers.

HR, contacted me on my home from interview to advise they would like me back for a second interview with another panel.

They kept asking me how soon can i start?

A position in procurement opened due to a retirement and they would like it filled quickly.

Should I be expecting the run around and waiting after the second interview?

Any insight would be helpful!

Get me in there, already! in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

I've followed this thread for a while because it is one of the only sources of information on this topic.

I applied for a post with a city agency on 6/3/2013. I went through a series of telephone and skype interviews in the middle of July. After a lot of back and forth with the person who will eventually be my boss, I was offered a position on 9/11/13.

I was told upfront that the Office of Management and Budget's approval process" could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 3-4 months. I was employed at the time and let them know I was okay with the timeframe, which they were legitimately concerned about. So I waited and worked and waited and worked and I finally had to move up here (NYC) because my partner got a job with his company and we couldn't afford double rent.

We're now at 4 and a 1/2 months and I'm told I still have a job and that it's not a matter of if, but a matter of "when." No one, including several layers of management at the agency trying to hire me, seems to understand what happens at the Office of Management and Budget. I have regular correspondence with the agency and remain hopeful that the call is coming any day . I even visited the office while I was in New York around Thanksgiving! I'm told that once the agency gets approval, I could start as soon as the following Monday.

Did I mention I moved across the country for this job? I did. Are my credit cards maxed out? Yes. Am I working for a well known French chef on the Lower East Side in the meantime? Check!

Thankfully, I have a partner who earns good money, a supportive family nearby and a service industry background to draw on for income. I would say that the worst part of this process is that it inhibits the public sector from attracting top talent. It definitely prevents them from effectively hiring the unemployed. That said, I'm sure there are inside means of fast-tracking this "approval process" when the positions are critical to city operations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobsq10490 in Forest Hills, New York

7 months ago

Reading your comment was like deja vu! I applied for a city agency job over the summer (2013) and I had an interview September 10, 2013. I was told the job was mine on the 10th. I met with the office of internal audits and discipline on October 2nd, 2013. Two weeks later, they told me that I passed my background check and that I need to wait for HR to give me a start date. After two weeks of no answer, I contacted HR and they told me they are now waiting for OMB approval. I waited about a month, and still with no answer, I tried contacting OMB. Advice for anyone reading this, do not contact OMB. OMB contacted HR reprimanding my actions. They said It was disrespectful that I called. I wanted to answer, well Im sorry that I wanted to work. I am in contact with my boss, but there is only so much she could do. I know it is out of her hands but I am getting desperate. Here we are over 4 months later, Ive gotten no updates. My imagination is running wild. I dont know if the delay is due to the fact that NYC has a new mayor, or that theres a hold on hiring new employees. Ive been looking all over the internet for any information I could find, and I have also looked for others who like me, are waiting for OMB approval. In the mean time, ive applied to so many various part time and full time jobs, but its very hard for me because I cant start a full time job and then have OMB approve me. I just dont know what to do. I worked so hard to get that city job, and I am afraid to be left in the dust. I believe there is a job waiting for me, and all I need is OMB approval, but jeeeeez how much longer do I have to wait.

Get me in there, already! in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

I give you a lot of credit for the decision to call OMB directly! I am not shocked about how the call was received.

I've considered calling anonymously and asking questions about the citywide hiring process, possibly posing as a reporter or a foreign bureaucrat that is here researching how we can get an OMB back in the mother country.

I can definitely sympathize with how your imagination can get the best of you. I try to tell myself that a "my wild imagination"--I think I called it my "attention to detail" in my cover letter--is one of the reasons they wanted to hire me in the first place.

I've followed job websites like Indeed and the job boards on NYC.gov since I got the job offer. I'm driven by the paranoia that says one day I'm going to log on and see MY DAMN JOB being advertised! That hasn't happened. For a while, there was a job opening for an Analyst at OMB whose main responsibility would be conducting analysis on the budget (including personnel changes) for the very agency hiring me. You see where I'm going here... It's easy to get carried away with what ifs and almost impossible not to when you're waiting on some of most important news of your life!

I can't imagine the new mayoral administration is helping matters, but I can tell you that people are still being hired by the city in 2014. If you really want to drive yourself crazy you should check out the City Record, an almost daily public newsletter that announces public meetings, procurements, real estate transaction the city is a party to and also changes in personnel.

www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/about/cityrecord_editions.shtml

I can't find any rhyme or reason to these changes in personnel. You can see when someone was hired and at what rate. Unfortunately, you can't find out how long it took them from the time they interviewed until their first day at work. You could always starting running names through Google just for fun!

Andrewpollock in Brooklyn, New York

6 months ago

Hello. I would like anyone feedback on the the hiring process of the NYC Dept of Environmental Protection. I was told by the Hiring Manager the process should take about a month or so. My question is what are the next steps? I was only given an application that ask for my Current Salary at my present employer.
What are the next steps? I appreciate your help.

Get me in there already! in Brooklyn, New York

6 months ago

Andrewpollock - Did you get an offer from DEP? If so, it sounds like they are going to submit a Personnel Action Requestion (PAR) to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).

In my case, it took 4.5 months from the time the PAR was submitted until my first day on the job. A month sounds extremely optimistic. (Who knows, maybe my PAR was near the tail end of a huge bottleneck.)

Be patient, don't expect much in the way of status updates and keep plenty of good reading material on hand. For all anyone knows, DEP and OMB may be operating on different continents.

Once you're approved by OMB, your start date is negotiable with DEP. They will give you time to give your current employer notice, ETC. For me, I got the call on Wednesday notifying me of OMB approval and I showed up to work the following Monday.

Good luck!

ALI in Birmingham, Alabama

6 months ago

Jamal in Birmingham, Alabama said: Well I'm actually in the same boat as you, I received an offer in November with the DEP, the problem I have is the fact that I currently live in Alabama and have to relocate, but I have no start date, now the lease in my apartment is up and I don't want to renew and then have to pay to break it when they call. The thing is the final word is passed down from the dept. of human resources and not from DEP, so the hiring supervisor in DEP has no idea when the final word will come down, I think it is a shame to have someone on hold for 6 months waiting for the hiring to be approved.

I am in Birmingham Al where are you jamal now?

Maggie in Woodhaven, New York

5 months ago

I'm so glad to read these postings because like everyone else I am patiently waiting my turn after an offer. I'm about one month into my wait and per this exchange anticipating another three months. My question evolves around the background check performed by the administration for children services. Does anyone know what it entails? I'd be happy to learn about other agencies as well. Its my understanding that in addition to the standard drug screening that they ask for tax returns and things of the like. After waiting so long I would hate to have an unknown requirement come up that would delay my start date any further. Can anyone help me understand the level of scrutiny they underwent when performing the background check?

Also, it would be great to hear from those who actually completed the process and are now working. Help us out guys! You can help us understand the missing links to this process.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Zack in Woodside, New York

5 months ago

Hey I'd be curious to ask those that actually got interviews and job offerings can anyone tell me if they took some kind of civil service examination or did they apply online and get an interview. I have applied to almost 300 jobs on the NYC Careers website and have gotten only one interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

5 months ago

Zack in Woodside, New York said: Hey I'd be curious to ask those that actually got interviews and job offerings can anyone tell me if they took some kind of civil service examination or did they apply online and get an interview. I have applied to almost 300 jobs on the NYC Careers website and have gotten only one interview.

300 jobs? You are determined, I'll say that.

Get me in there already! in Brooklyn, New York

5 months ago

Maggie - You'll have to fill out this beast of a document called a CPD-B. You can get an idea of what it entails by looking at the instructions for how to fill it out:

www.nyc.gov/html/careers/downloads/pdf/db_app_guidelines.pdf

You'll probably do it online. You can save yourself some trouble and start getting all of that paperwork together now. I've seen versions that go into much greater detail--but those are for executive level positions or for new hires in law enforcement. Generally, any positions in education, transportation and law enforcement require background checks that are more thorough than positions that do not due to state and federal regulations.

You asked about a level of "scrutiny"--I would avoid omitting any information as it could always come back to haunt you. Obviously, do not state anything untrue as your responses will be reviewed by the Office of the Inspector General. If there is anything you are concerned about, ask the personnel people at your agency ahead of time.

You'll also get fingerprinted! (I was shocked by how easily the ink wipes off)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Washington, District of Columbia

3 months ago

Jamal, how did you get hired? Are you a vet? I heard NYC is basically only hiring vets at this point unless you had an inside connection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

application in Jersey City, New Jersey

2 months ago

It looks like this thread has been down for a long time. For those of you employed at the NY DEP, was there a pre employment drug test? Nothing in my first orientation mentioned a drug test, which was surprising.
My start date is in a few weeks. This wouldn't be an issue, but I am going to a 311 concert the night before. I want to know if I need to stand away from the smokers.

Mike in New York, New York

2 months ago

application in Jersey City, New Jersey said: It looks like this thread has been down for a long time. For those of you employed at the NY DEP, was there a pre employment drug test? Nothing in my first orientation mentioned a drug test, which was surprising.
My start date is in a few weeks. This wouldn't be an issue, but I am going to a 311 concert the night before. I want to know if I need to stand away from the smokers.

I am employed by the state, stay away just in case. You may get tested, not worth it to sacrifice pension and free healthcare!

HireMe in New York, New York

1 month ago

Hi,
Just curious if the hiring process has changed at all under the new mayor? I interviewed for a job in the end of May and again in mid-June. I called a month later and found out I was put forward for the position (no phone call/email to tell me this happy news!). I haven't heard anything since. I haven' t received any request for documentation or anything! Has anyone had a recent recruitment experience with NYC government (I'm looking for a timeline)? Also, it seems kinda odd to me that more people don't talk about how crazy this process is, right?

Knickfan25 in Brooklyn, New York

17 days ago

HireMe in New York, New York said: Hi,
Just curious if the hiring process has changed at all under the new mayor? I interviewed for a job in the end of May and again in mid-June. I called a month later and found out I was put forward for the position (no phone call/email to tell me this happy news!). I haven't heard anything since. I haven' t received any request for documentation or anything! Has anyone had a recent recruitment experience with NYC government (I'm looking for a timeline)? Also, it seems kinda odd to me that more people don't talk about how crazy this process is, right?

who did you call?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.