IS WORKFORCE 1 REALLY HELPING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 168)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

hillary in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

TJC in New York, New York said: Been there a year ago. Don't know if things have changed but some people have no clue what they're doing and the ones who do are called for jury duty or are on vacation! I found them to be more accommodating to the spanish-speaking crowd, if you know what i mean.

bad experience with them. took their training, companies are picking 1 or 2 non minority candidates. they did not hold to their work. i have never heard anything good about them from any one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

MMH in Bronx, New York

49 months ago

TJC in New York, New York said: Been there a year ago. Don't know if things have changed but some people have no clue what they're doing and the ones who do are called for jury duty or are on vacation! I found them to be more accommodating to the spanish-speaking crowd, if you know what i mean.

I am sorry but, I hate to disagree with you. I am a "Spanish" speaking person who speaks English w/zero accent due to the fact that I was raised in this great nation. I experienced having to job search w/Workforce 1 several times in the past. However, the location were I attended had very qualified and professional employees - not sure what branch you went. In my experience, it was more like the folks that went to Workforce1 looking for employment, were questionable to me. As a Spanish "speaking" person, I did not find favoritism and decided I could do this on my own w/o their assistance. I did just that and landed a position negotiating a salary rate and benefits that Workforce1 would probably not have been able to help me land. However, if I had to use their services again, I would do it w/o a second thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

frantzojeanty30@hotmail.com in Brooklyn, New York

49 months ago

I live in Brooklyn and I recently graduate from a dental hygiene program and I also have my license. How can you guys help me to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

opalclover1@yahoo.com in New York, New York

48 months ago

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York said: If anyone here has used or is currently using Workforce 1 to find work, could you please share your experiences, good and bad.

Have received Smart 2010 for over a month and usually what they send does not match my background, or are much lower on the salary they're offering. Use other job boards and agencies if possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Bronx, New York

47 months ago

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York said: If anyone here has used or is currently using Workforce 1 to find work, could you please share your experiences, good and bad.

Yes, I used them and I found them to be very ineffective unless you are looking for a entry level minimum wage it is a waste of time!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

BM48 in Roosevelt, New York

45 months ago

a total waste of my time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tired of looking in Sunnyside, New York

44 months ago

My experience in the workforce/Queens is rather ambiguous. When I utilized their computer romm resource, the people there were helpful, they assist you navigating the jobs application online, computer issues, some job tips suggestions. Over all in terms of actually finding a job, the job counselors i did not find them effective. They met with me less than an hour in group setting, give you some suggestions, remind you that if you do not show up for their quaterly appts, your unemployment benefits are in danger of being disconntinued. People seemed rather intimidated when they talked, i know i was. I wanted a training, was not able i have a master's felt discriminated about this. They have probably more resources for entry levels, semi-skilled jobs it seems. I did not see favoritisms of any kind. The times 2, i have been unemployed i found it on my own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Springfield Gardens, New York

44 months ago

I feel Workforce is a good organization, however I believe it do not have the resources for clients who are in the higher income bracket. The one in Queens have excellent representatives who assist clients in preparing their resume and interviewing skills. As for me I already have my masters. They were impressed with my resume and cover letter. I already have the job hunting skills. I am being turned down because I am over qualified for many of the positions I apply for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

I had my unfortunnate share of experiences with not only Workforce 1, but many other deceptive, empty-promised filled Government agencies that was put in place for the people. The Fortune Society, Hire Point, the mentioned, and those not mentioned Not-For -Profit organizations are nothing more than "Deption ARTIST". These organizations not only waste our time believing help is available, but these same people that at times look like you and I use our data and census numbers for statistical purposes for nothing more than protecting and securing there own job security. Without us participating in these useless programs or applying pressure on these deceptive organizations that provide us with nothing more than dreams and lip service, they will be on the unemployment line seeking help just like us. We, "The People" must hold these organizations in our neighborhoods responsible for all that they allege to be about in our neighborhoods for. If they can't hold up there end, then get out the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

I had my unfortunnate share of experiences with not only Workforce 1, but many other deceptive, empty-promised filled Government agencies that was put in place for the people. The Fortune Society, Hire Point, the mentioned, and those not mentioned Not-For -Profit organizations are nothing more than "Deception ARTIST". These organizations not only waste our time believing help is available, but these same people that at times look like you and I use our data and census numbers for statistical purposes for nothing more than protecting and securing there own job security. Without us participating in these useless programs or applying pressure on these deceptive organizations that provide us with nothing more than dreams and lip service, they will be on the unemployment line seeking help just like us. We, "The People" must hold these organizations in our neighborhoods responsible for all that they allege to be about in our neighborhoods for. If they can't hold up there end, then get out the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilili in New York, New York

40 months ago

Well, they send you to punch of places, and they will later notify you, if you got hired, or what you needed to get better, They never called back. So my answer is the WOrst place to be enrolled in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobbypesca in Mount Vernon, New York

40 months ago

I need help in finding a job as an office internal messenger, label maker log maker and or mail sorter and disttibutor with any graphic arts (printing) companies that need that sort of employee and I can make almost any label if i have the right information to put on it. I can make logs for Fed Ex, Ups, and Dhl incoming of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Brooklyn, New York

39 months ago

I use workforce 1 last year and they DO NOTHING for me am Certified Electrician, withe college degree and 4 years exp. They waste my time, am sure i put 110% in find jobs with them but it just do not work, still looking for work in the Tri-state, thanks much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

chroniclesofcharles@yahoo.com in Jamaica, New York

38 months ago

Over 1 year & they have not helped me either with 15 years of Insurance with a license & no job.

AMK in Binghamton, New York

38 months ago

I utilize our Workforce office, for the NY Wired training to update my current skills and learn new ones and also for my counselor....she happens to be excellent. I will say however, the emails I get from them on jobs aren't even close to what I'm qualified for and in all fairness, depending on what city you're from, the counselors only have so many job that come and soooooo many ppl unemployed. I think they're doing the best they can with the economy the way it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Mac - Brooklyn in Bellmore, New York

38 months ago

Workforce 1 - Um-mm !!! where do I begin. This is the biggest waste of Government funds I've have ever seen. The only thing I see with this program is the rich getting richer. Rich individuals invest money into staffing and building programs like workforce 1. then they bill the Government for each person who pass through their doors. They disguise there thievery by giving people the basic education / Job skills necessary to go out into the workforce and find that minimum wage job. Three things need happen ... (1) Your Educated (2) Your trained (3) Your set up with a job opportunity... Not needing to guarantee that you get the job. And thats all is needed to justify their bill to the Government. which could be 10x the cost they spent on you. So to all my people out there who want to get paid ... open a school. I don't care if it's a school to teach people how to fold sheets - just justify those three things I mentioned and you too can get paid!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York

38 months ago

Jimmy Mac - Brooklyn in Bellmore, New York said: Workforce 1 - Um-mm !!! where do I begin. This is the biggest waste of Government funds I've have ever seen. The only thing I see with this program is the rich getting richer. Rich individuals invest money into staffing and building programs like workforce 1. then they bill the Government for each person who pass through their doors. They disguise there thievery by giving people the basic education / Job skills necessary to go out into the workforce and find that minimum wage job. Three things need happen ... (1) Your Educated (2) Your trained (3) Your set up with a job opportunity... Not needing to guarantee that you get the job. And thats all is needed to justify their bill to the Government. which could be 10x the cost they spent on you. So to all my people out there who want to get paid ... open a school. I don't care if it's a school to teach people how to fold sheets - just justify those three things I mentioned and you too can get paid!

Hi

Which location did you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ZMR.

37 months ago

THEY ARE NOT USEFUL AT ALL. IT JUST WAST OF TIME AND THEY MAKE YOU MORE FRUSTRATED. THEY ARE JUST HELPING THEM SELF TO RIP OFF THE GOVERNMENT MONEY TO KEEP YOU SIGN IN THEIR BOOK AS THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

noitdoesnt in Staten Island, New York

37 months ago

What a waste of the labor departments money. Its a private contractor just so you know running it. Do you want to work 4 hours a week overnight minimum wage at Pier 1? Or would you prefer a for profit college commission based telemarketing job. You're better off on your own like I was.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Demis in Richmond Hill, New York

37 months ago

Workforce one is another non helping agency.
They are worst than a city agency and I have 2 years expiriance in this.
It seems that they understood this problem because they close some of their offices (LaGuardia CCollge).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Mineola, New York

37 months ago

needtogetout in Staten Island, New York said: I moved to New York City 10 years ago and they have strict affirmative action laws in this city. I was even willing to take a cashier job, but if you are white they won't budge at all. In NYC they strictly hire minorities and immigrants. Otherwise they won't even budge. So I have to look elsewhere. Anyone who says they don't show favoritism is full of it and they know it.

This comment is only HALF true. Because I am a BLACK female, still without a job. What you mean to say is they are quick to hire Hispanic/Latino(who ever). I'm not sure. I remember a couple of years back I was hired as a cashier at a Cafe. I was fired for "not smiling enough". I'm not sure the reason but there are A LOT of Hispanic/Latinos working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York

36 months ago

What's the Deal with NY Workforce1? - Any Experiences?
They seem to have some pretty bad reviews on the Net. Any stories? Has anybody had any positive experiences with them? I went 2 years ago and they were useless; I got a condescending and nasty counselor and she did nothing for me. That location has recently closed down. If anybody had some negatives with them, I'd like to hear it. They're wasting taxpayer resources it seems. Is it worth it for me to give them one last try or just let them go? It looks like they just have sales jobs, food, retail and home health care. I have no experience in any of those nor do I wish to acquire any as that will look bad on my resume. Jobs seem to be $7 to 9 per hour and that's not livable in New York City. I'm curious as to your thoughts on this.

blake in Ridgewood, New York

34 months ago

They had us packed in to classrooms on top of each other or standing all day till 5pm with no training or instruction the were not enough computers. We were in there with mentally ill people who couldnt get their medication because medicaid cut funding, became violent or loud and unstable. Confidential information was blabbed all over the place it was a night mare. If you got employment it was with ex-convicts, men that abused harrassed and stalked women. Prison lesbians bothering you and people literally peeping at you over the toilet and telling male supervisors what you were doing in the toilet. You were bullied and picked on so badly your health began suffering. They bad mouth you to potential employers and are a complete waste of time. The pay is $7 hourly and the work hours are often less than part time and layoffs are frequent so sometime you earn $20 a week or $80 a week. I had scraped together money to get to work only to be sent home beause there was no work available for weeks at a time. I went to get my paycheck and there were no funds available to cash it. They tried to burden me with two wep assignments when i tried to get training or college certificates and when I refused because it was too much for my then seriously bad health they made me run back and forth repeatedly closed my foodstamps, cash & medicaid just to get even. So i'm stuck no job, bad references, no benefits which they close as soon as i open them. I don't know what to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keep Your Head Up in Bronx, New York

34 months ago

Work force1 here in the bronx is very over crowded they call you every few months, the jobs they have are mainly entry leve positions, which are mainly in the medical field or food services, people say take anything but guss what not even anything is out there to be hired for. And here in New York it is not only competitive 10 to 1 per job position. "SO" does workforce1 help I think they try but just as anywhere else in new york they too are over crowded. My suggestion is to go into business for yourself and start to re-event yourself. Because it does not look like it is going to get any better. "WHAT ARE WE TO DO SEEMS AS IF NO ONE CAN HELP NOT EVEN WELFARE"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Richmond Hill, New York

34 months ago

needtogetout in Staten Island, New York said: I moved to New York City 10 years ago and they have strict affirmative action laws in this city. I was even willing to take a cashier job, but if you are white they won't budge at all. In NYC they strictly hire minorities and immigrants. Otherwise they won't even budge. So I have to look elsewhere. Anyone who says they don't show favoritism is full of it and they know it.

Both Workforce and Goodwill (HRA)are biased against white people. I heard about this 15 years ago from people and didn't believe it. It's all true. Denying it won't make it go away. Reverse discrimination is alive and well. Get used to it. Ageism also. If you're 40 and over, in some fields you're done if you lost your job. Nobody cares why...you are DONE. They also don't like people with a Bachelors or Masters degrees. Keep in mind these useless organizations exist on OUR tax dollars. This is the taxes I paid when I worked, and you too. Something should be done to do away with companies that misrepresent, misuse your tax dollars and yes, discriminate in ANY way. There should be an OCCUPY movement against these people and companies. They should be exposed on the Internet with names, photos and personal stories of abuse from participants who honestly just want to find a liveable wage job, not be drawn into lies and statistical fakeries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Neil in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

hillary in Brooklyn, New York said: bad experience with them. took their training, companies are picking 1 or 2 non minority candidates. they did not hold to their work. i have never heard anything good about them from any one.

Workforce is a waste of time. They're only there to save their own job. Most of the folks at the Offices are not as intelligent as I thought. If you have a good resume, they'll take a copy for themselves to help other candidates boost their resume off of your back. The same jobs on indeed or career builder is what they'll print out for you to apply to. They have no leads, never tells you about DCAS Exams, Unemployment benefits, medical assistance, absolutely nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

KarenJames in Forest Hills, New York

34 months ago

No, These Workforce One Locations are no helping anyone. The location on Jamaica Avenue has a Office full of Rude and Disrepectful workers. We the unemployed are seeking work, but not looking to be treated like we are some low class people. They Advertise that they have training and when you request training, you are then advised there is no training available, so why advertise it. I have requested training through the ITG grants and have declined twice, you can only get the training grant if you know someone one in the Workforce One. The only jobs they get is Home Attendants, Toys R Us jobs. The Jamaica Office is Staffed with alot of workers and does nothing to help the unemployed workers, yes they do have resume workshops and interviewing workshops twice a week. We the unemployed needs employment in all fields of work, not only security, cashiers, home attendants. The Goverment really needs to step in and research these locations, because these are over staffed locations that really does nothing for the unemployed, and Workforce One gets alot of funding and no one is over seeing what really goes on in these location.
Alot of the workers walk around with attitudes and treat you rude. What are they really doing, there is alot of unemployed people and it is a waste of money to continue to fund these locations if they are not here to help, find employment.

I made appointment to see a Career Advisor and that was a waste, The lady sat there and checked on Google for work, I can do that at home myself. They really look down on you due to you are unemployed. We are looking for assistance to get back into the job market, and that is hard, also alot of jobs would rather hire you if you are working and avoiding the people that are unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iceice20 in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

I only go to the queens location at jamaica ave. I usually attend their recruitments for retail jobs. I find that if you are looking for an entry level position and you have experience you will probably get interviews. Ive never spoken to a counsler, they dont seem interested in helping you, just getting workers for their clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blkron in New York, New York

34 months ago

i agree with you 0ne hundred precient they do cater too the spainsh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Militant in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

blkron in New York, New York said: i agree with you 0ne hundred precient they do cater too the spainsh

But isn't that the case for everything and everywhere in NYC? Not only Hispanics/Latinos but every one but black and white people. I've been looking for a jobs for more than a year and I'm sure there's people that just got off the boat yesterday and already have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra Hicks in Forest Hills, New York

34 months ago

ZMR. said: THEY ARE NOT USEFUL AT ALL. IT JUST WAST OF TIME AND THEY MAKE YOU MORE FRUSTRATED. THEY ARE JUST HELPING THEM SELF TO RIP OFF THE GOVERNMENT MONEY TO KEEP YOU SIGN IN THEIR BOOK AS THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING....

That is so True, Workforce One in Jamaica Queens is doing just that. They are ripping off the Government and NO One is reviewing them. They are Very Rude group of people and they Advertise they have training and when you go into the office they tell you no we don't have training and they don't have jobs, so if that is the case why is that location is Fully Staffed and No one is helping the unemployed. The jobs they help you get is Home Attendant, Security Guard jobs, Government is just WASTIING money with them, and that location is the WORST

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Workforce One Jamaica Worst in Forest Hills, New York

34 months ago

iceice20 in Brooklyn, New York said: I only go to the queens location at jamaica ave. I usually attend their recruitments for retail jobs. I find that if you are looking for an entry level position and you have experience you will probably get interviews. Ive never spoken to a counsler, they dont seem interested in helping you, just getting workers for their clients.

You are right the counslors don't care about helping people find work, A counlor from Jamaica location emailed me and said let me know, when you find a job and I will put it in our system. This is what they get paid for !!!! they want you to find your own job and then if you let them know where your working, they will take credit that they helped you find a job. That location is a bunch of RUDE people and treat the unemployed like they are on a cheese line, and the Security Guard that works there is just as Bad ( Very Rude), Government needs to really investigate workforce one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Forest Hills, New York

34 months ago

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York said: What's the Deal with NY Workforce1? - Any Experiences?
They seem to have some pretty bad reviews on the Net. Any stories? Has anybody had any positive experiences with them? I went 2 years ago and they were useless; I got a condescending and nasty counselor and she did nothing for me. That location has recently closed down. If anybody had some negatives with them, I'd like to hear it. They're wasting taxpayer resources it seems. Is it worth it for me to give them one last try or just let them go? It looks like they just have sales jobs, food, retail and home health care. I have no experience in any of those nor do I wish to acquire any as that will look bad on my resume. Jobs seem to be $7 to 9 per hour and that's not livable in New York City. I'm curious as to your thoughts on this.

Staff is nasty, and Workforce one locations are fully Staff and does nothing for the unemployed, you are right, they get home attendant, Security guards, Toys R us cashier Jobs. Staff really don't seem to be experienced. And this is where the goverment is wasting money at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hurrikane28@gmail.com in Queens Village, New York

33 months ago

If you know that this is what the locations at the workforce 1 are doing and you believe its a waste of your time, why not write or go to your congressman in your district and tell them your experience. They will gladly listen if they want to be re-elected. But we can't just talk about it we gotta do something about it! I know that Workforce 1 is what you guys say, I been there and it was all day, and some do help but its all on you though. So tell your congressman, let them investigate their operations, so it can be better for all of us, besides its government dollars that provide so why not complain to them and not each other. We can be heard more effectively that way, than this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

wildcat89 in Oakland Gardens, New York

33 months ago

WORKFORCE 1 JAMAICA SUCKSSS DICKK!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

QBLeo in Jamaica, New York

33 months ago

seriously! i don't get what that place is about. they never have jobs, and the person posting jobs on clist is an idiot. people storm out of that place because they spend more money going there just to hear them say "no jobs, come back". workforce1 should change their name to timewasters! the one in jamaica is sucks, all of the ppl working there looks like high school dropouts. someone really need to do something about this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dezojo in Rockaway Park, New York

33 months ago

Is there a way of getting out of going to these useless work force 1 meeting that don't do anything

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anni in Hempstead, New York

33 months ago

hillary in Brooklyn, New York said: bad experience with them. took their training, companies are picking 1 or 2 non minority candidates. they did not hold to their work. i have never heard anything good about them from any one.

Who do you consider "non-minority" ? Because if you're referring to Caucasion people as "non-minority" you're out of your mind! Have you looked around lately??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Dezojo in Rockaway Park, New York said: Is there a way of getting out of going to these useless work force 1 meeting that don't do anything

No..because they have to "justify" the useless salaries they're paying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Grant013 in Richmond Hill, New York said: Both Workforce and Goodwill (HRA)are biased against white people. I heard about this 15 years ago from people and didn't believe it. It's all true. Denying it won't make it go away. Reverse discrimination is alive and well. Get used to it. Ageism also. If you're 40 and over, in some fields you're done if you lost your job. Nobody cares why...you are DONE. They also don't like people with a Bachelors or Masters degrees. Keep in mind these useless organizations exist on OUR tax dollars. This is the taxes I paid when I worked, and you too. Something should be done to do away with companies that misrepresent, misuse your tax dollars and yes, discriminate in ANY way. There should be an OCCUPY movement against these people and companies. They should be exposed on the Internet with names, photos and personal stories of abuse from participants who honestly just want to find a liveable wage job, not be drawn into lies and statistical fakeries.

I totally agree with everything you're saying except for the term "reverse discrimination". Discrimination is discrimination, no matter what form it takes. But yes, I have to laugh when predominately blacks and hispanics are still referred to as "minorities". Really??? At one time that was true. Like back in the 60's - 70's. But undoubtedly, in any major city in the U.S. blacks and hispanics are NOT the "minority".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Toma in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

I agree 120%, because every time i attend a job recuiting meeting with them the workers tend to focus on spanish speaking people more offend than blacks or any other race. I'm not trying to play the race card and if i am- i will love for some one to investigate the whole company. Its default for every one so please spread the jobs out to every one as well as the training course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Toma in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

Anni in Hempstead, New York said: I totally agree with everything you're saying except for the term "reverse discrimination". Discrimination is discrimination, no matter what form it takes. But yes, I have to laugh when predominately blacks and hispanics are still referred to as "minorities". Really??? At one time that was true. Like back in the 60's - 70's. But undoubtedly, in any major city in the U.S. blacks and hispanics are NOT the "minority".

I disagree, and agree with u if that makes sense. If u are not bilingual the jobs totaly pass u by. And the type of jobs that blacks are getting are Nures Aide or any thing that required mininum wage. I'm saying this because in my shoes and many others i have seen and spoke to we all have the same complaints. I'm a medical assistant for months they couldnt help me because everywhere wanted spanish speaking person. Im sorry blacks are still the minorities not in the low wage paying jobs, if ur want it u can have it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

L Gar in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

Submitted for a position posted by WorkForce1 on craigslist. Got a call back telling me about another position that would be a better fit. Went in for interview at John St location. Completed application and was told that workforce1 manager will review first and if he/she feels I would be a good fit for HR analyst role in a midtown firm, they will pass resume along and let me know. Never heard back...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Forest Hills, New York

32 months ago

nyc4life in Springfield Gardens, New York said: What's the Deal with NY Workforce1? - Any Experiences?

I agree with you, I have been going to the Jamaica location for 1 year, everytime you see a worker there I am told they only have jobs as cashier or home attendant & Security Guard. I am not looking for those positions, that location is fully staff and most of them is sitting at their computers looking bored with nothing to do. This is where there goverment waste money at, the ITG is a Joke, staff says only certain people get the grant and she did not say who the certain people were...I get calls from Career Advisor asking did I find a job and if I do let them know the address and all information about the job, The only reason why they are asking for that, then they will try to take credit and say they found me a job. I have been seeking a job in my Medical field for so long and I really wish Workforce One was really there to do a job and help people get back into the job market...Workforce One is no Help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

nyc4life in Rosedale, New York

32 months ago

They fudge the numbers start watching at 1:02 www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUW_5u7mAqI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

swordandgifts@yahoo.com in New York, New York

32 months ago

I have just went to few Workforce Centers in New York. First one, had a position to work for Cable company. They offeered salary plus commision for opening new accounts/ Second was a work for Swisscorp, company that provides service to airlines. It takes a lot of patience and long hours to wait to be called for interview. They usually prescreen people in Workforce1 and then send to interview. My group was about 30 people willing to work for Swisscorp $9/hr job. Out of 30 people 5 been called for interview and 2 been actually hired me and another girl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Elmhurst, New York

30 months ago

I had visited the Jamaica location a few years back and wasn't impressed, to start of with I was lured there believing that I'm going to an accrual interview, and got myself stuck in one of their orientations, then proceeded to waste half the day there. I got singled out because of my well written resume, and the counselor was rather nice to me, if not a little intense, mind you she was of African descent, and I'm a white guy, though there were plenty other people there that were plain out rude. All seemed well until she started recommending jobs that had nothing to do with my experience, or the field of work I was looking for. Unfortunately it quickly became clear that she was more interested in finding people to fill jobs, and not finding appropriate jobs for the people there. When I agreed to go on a few interviews she recommended, although not what I was looking for, she said she would set up the interview and call me with the details. I never got a call, and when I called back I could never reach her and others refused to help me over the phone since they weren't my "assigned" counselor. Therefore it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that I stopped calling and gave up hope of receiving any assistance with job placement from them.

I got laid off a little over three weeks ago, been receiving unemployment for two weeks, and imagine my surprised when I received a letter that I have to go back there yet again or my unemployment could be in jeopardy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

alam53kayla@aol.com in Astoria, New York

30 months ago

I have use WORKFORCE 1 AND AS OF TODAY THEY HAVE NOT FOUND ME ANY WORK I FOUND IT A WASTE OF TIME. NOR HAVE THEY OFFERED ME ANY KIND OF TRAINING FOR NEW EMPLOYMENT.

MARLENE ALAM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Woodside, New York

30 months ago

Complete Waste of Time!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Woodside, New York

30 months ago

I am looking for a temporary position while I complete my degree. I saw an advertisement on Craig's list the other day. A company was hiring in conjunction with Workforce 1. You have all seen these ads right? They tell you to come on down. Specific hours are listed and you will not be allowed in after those hours. They pay is usually not great, but hey. So I put on my suit, printed out my resume and paid my $2.25 to go down to what turned out to be the third floor of the public library. There I was greeted by a teenager sitting behind a desk. He asks me if I am registered with workforce 1. Nowhere in the ad did it say I had to register, so I said no. I fill out the required paperwork and submitted it with my resume. He tells me to have a seat and a representative will call me in. He calls me up to the desk 2 or 3 times to ask me different questions. Am I available to work a 16 hour day? Do I have an open availability? I said sure! He mumbles that his representative needs to know these things. Great! I want to work. THEN he says so I will take your resume and give it to the representative. I see two women sitting at desks in the back, so I assume they are the representatives. I say should I have a seat? the kid says no, we will call you. I had to laugh I was so shocked. I told him I thought there would be on the spot interviews. He said "we ask people to come in, prove they are human, take their resume. The representative reviews it, If she finds you are a good fit, she calls you." I said may I speak with the representative? he said they are in our Jamaica Office.

My question is this: why then did I pay $2.25($4.50 round trip) to go to the 3rd floor of a library when they could have stated in the ad to go to the Jamaica office? I left that office feeling disgusted with Workforce 1!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.