did I just kill my chance at this job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Yanling in NYC, New York

39 months ago

hi everyone,
I am a new graduated and looking for jobs like everybody. Today I got a interview which was so fast. he seems so busy, only ask me two questions. "tell me about your last job." and "tell me what you can do." so I answer so nervously.

Because everybody said follow-up is soooo important and I want to take more risk, I call at 7:25PM, he is still working!!! I didn't expect him to pick up so I hand-up without saying anything. then I call back and said that my phone have some problems and I want him to know how much I appreciated him meeting me today b/c it's 12:30 and he should be at lunch. and I have full confidence with my knowledge and skills that I can be a great assistant to his company and his clients. but all he say is:"ok, Thank you for calling." and that's it.

so did I made a bad impression for intruding? Did I just kill my chance?

It's my first interview ever and I really care!!!

Thank you so much for any comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

annyomus in marietta, Georgia

39 months ago

I would wait at least 1 week before following up on any interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

39 months ago

Yanling in NYC, New York said: hi everyone,
I am a new graduated and looking for jobs like everybody. Today I got a interview which was so fast. he seems so busy, only ask me two questions. "tell me about your last job." and "tell me what you can do." so I answer so nervously.

Because everybody said follow-up is soooo important and I want to take more risk, I call at 7:25PM, he is still working!!! I didn't expect him to pick up so I hand-up without saying anything. then I call back and said that my phone have some problems and I want him to know how much I appreciated him meeting me today b/c it's 12:30 and he should be at lunch. and I have full confidence with my knowledge and skills that I can be a great assistant to his company and his clients. but all he say is:"ok, Thank you for calling." and that's it.

so did I made a bad impression for intruding? Did I just kill my chance?

It's my first interview ever and I really care!!!

Thank you so much for any comments!

Yanling,

Next follow-up with a thank you e-mail, so you do not run the risk of disturbing the person. The phone call was an interruption for someone that works late. Just let this be a learning experience. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

39 months ago

Yanling,

Next time follow up with an e-mail because someone that works late like that, the phone call was a interruption. Just let this be a learing experience. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yanling in NYC, New York

39 months ago

hi Dana,

Thank you so much for the tips. I don't have his e-mail, that's why I call. I was expecting his receptionist or go to voice mail because it was after 5pm. Do you think it's ok to ask for business card when the interview is over?

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Yanling,

Next time follow up with an e-mail because someone that works late like that, the phone call was a interruption. Just let this be a learing experience. Good luck to you.

annyomus in marietta, Georgia

39 months ago

You can always ask for a busines card.

Yanling in NYC, New York

39 months ago

Thank you for both comments annyomus in marietta, Georgia. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.