Any help out there for the mentally challenged hard/loyal workers who've had NO luck with YAI, FEGS, or other agencies??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Ema in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

I'm desperately trying to help to young men (one of them has been of them have been unemployed for over a year now, and both who have speech impediments as well, but this is not an impediment to what they're capable of doing) who are mentally challenged but have a pretty good track record in the business world, one of them is currently working from a barely lit basement on his own as a Mail Clerk/Messenger (the company that he works for has not promoted him in the five years that he's worked with them, but others who've worked there two to three years have gone on to higher positions), but he's willing to do other kinds of work and even volunteers with 'New York Cares' almost every weekend (he was given an award as volunteer of the year because he's so loyal at what he does). Please believe me when I tell you this is one young man you'd be proud to have as an employee in your company (he's even worked for the court system).

Both are clients of the Young Adult Institute, who've helped to place them in their jobs, but as of late they've had NO success with this agency or any other for that matter, and the young man who works as a Mail Clerk with NO chance of advancement is being told by his Job Coach to, "not rock the boat and to be satisfied with having a job" by continuing to stay in that barely lit basement, with NO hope of advancement (but he just keeps sending out resumes, by email and by taking them 'in person' to various employers, as well as hoping that perhaps one of those whom he works for at 'New York Cares' might hire him).

All they want is a chance to prove to employers (UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, and various others) what they can do, but employers don't seem willing to give them the chance to do so. So, would anyone happen to know what other 'avenues' they can use in their searches, with the hope (and prayer) that someone will hire them 'before this year closes'??? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chrispkorman@yahoo.com in Santee, California

17 months ago

If our Department of vocational rehab didn't want to be overloaded with cases and suffer from terminal burn out and fail to put funds allocated to them to work more substantially then they should should retire. The disabled should guide the disabled because there would be a built in level of empathy/self motivation.In other words all vocational career entities like Able Disabled/The Regional Center/Community Options should hire the disabled and put them to work.If our government doesn't want to be burdened by our failures then they should get out of our way and allow us to achieve of dreams in our own time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

17 months ago

Well said. Even thought the OP's post has been a long time ago, I still feel that i have to say that i really do feel empathy for you and your cause. Like what the other poster said before me, if the government and general society can't give these good people a chance, then they should at least have some sort of system where the disabled/ challenged can have their own work system where they can also be hired and given a chance by people of like kind. I really hope things turn out for the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.