Unemployed accountant - a casualty of downsizing due to the recession

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

C W in Oviedo, Florida

68 months ago

Hi, I hope someone might have a lead for me. I have over 20 plus years accounting & finance experience, half of which has been spent in the construction industry. I'm a family man with many obligations and is desparate to find work. I'm open to any area of accounting/finance/business and any industry. Construction is dead! I've tried applying to hospitality jobs, healthcare, but they all want 2-3 years experience. I'm hard working, honest, & dependable. Just need a chance. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pollyanna in East Lyme, Connecticut

68 months ago

I can sympathize with you, as I have more than 20 years experience in accounting/finance. It took me 10 months to find a job in Connecticut; I did land a good one as Director of Finance with a nonprofit (my background) which is stable and I should be able to finish out my working years with them.

As for leads, the best thing you can do is network, network, network. Let friends, former employers and others know that you are looking for a job. Join an organization that can help supply leads. As far as your resume and cover letter are concerned, these are your first impression on prospective employers, so make sure someone reviews them to make sure they are top notch. Look at what your transferrable skills are so that you can tie them into open positions. Research companies and compliment them on their achievements in your cover letter and then go onto the skills/achievements you have that can bring added value to the organization. Tailor your resume and cover letter to each position for which you are applying.

If possible, follow up with prospective employers, especially if you have gone through more than one interview, to get their feedback. If feedback is generally positive, it is at this point that you can ask them to let them know of any suitable postions with other employers.

The one other thing that I recommend is that when you look at job postings, if you continue to see specific requirements listed that you lack, such as certain computer skills, make an effort to gain experience with these skills, either through an formal course if you can afford it or through self training.

Good luck and try to keep a positive attitude. It is rough out there, yet somewhere lies a job that is suited for both you and the employer.

C N W in Oviedo, Florida

68 months ago

Hi Polyanna! It was very kind of you to respond to my cries of desperation with your positive comments, they were really uplifting and helpful. Sorry I wasn't able to respond to you sooner I've just been stressed out weighing my financial options. I'm trying really hard to stay positive, but it's extremely hard considering my financial constraints. With the exception of a 5 1/2 contract assignment through RHI I've been technically unemployed for a year. I'm hoping & praying that something miraculously will come through this week-if not I might be looking at chap 7/13. Thanks again for your support and comments.

Regards,

PS. I'm originally from that side of town in Bergen County NJ, but been living here for the last 30 yrs.
CNW

Webcas in Kissimmee, Florida

68 months ago

Im looking for an accountant who knows about payroll, balance sheets, etc. Im just starting my business, this will be as a part-time job, really is not to much the work, imjust need help with some things.

noorzareh in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Would you be open to a six figure income sales position you can do from home?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C N W in Oviedo, Florida

68 months ago

Sure. I would like more info on this. Thanks.

C N W in Oviedo, Florida

68 months ago

I haven't done payroll in a couple of years, however, I'm experienced enough to give you a few pointers as well as on your BS.

CNW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenisha Groomes-Faulk in Baltimore, Maryland

61 months ago

C W in Oviedo, Florida said: Hi, I hope someone might have a lead for me. I have over 20 plus years accounting & finance experience, half of which has been spent in the construction industry. I'm a family man with many obligations and is desparate to find work. I'm open to any area of accounting/finance/business and any industry. Construction is dead! I've tried applying to hospitality jobs, healthcare, but they all want 2-3 years experience. I'm hard working, honest, & dependable. Just need a chance. Thanks.

Have you considered the Federal government?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.