It seems High Tech jobs are extremely scarce in this area...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

tallship in Flamingo Heights, California

63 months ago

I moved up here three years ago and have been earning my way owning and operating a small non-tech retail store in Yucca Valley and also through existing and long term contracts I have w/ISPs in Australia, Russia, and the Netherlands.

Now that I've sold my storefront and want to get into the trenches, I find that there is still a tech vacuum out this way, extending from Apple Valley to Calabasis and Indio.

When I shoot my resume out for consideration for opportunities in my areas of expertise I find that most companies require that I be onsite 2 to 3 days a week, and all of the jobs I receive tentative offers for are in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside/Corona, etc...

Palm Springs / Palm Desert would be ideal for me, but there seems to be so little in the way of offerings. Victorville and Apple Valley or even Barstow, an hour the other way from my ranch down the highway, would be just as acceptable, but since I'm a single parent with a young daughter I just can't take off and maintain a second residence or stay in hotel rooms two or three days a week down below.

I find this frustrating, and miss the excitement and fast paced world of IT.

I've been considereding an ISP startup out here in the High Desert, knowing I can bring in my backhauls and provide high speed Internet service to residents and businesses out here for less than half of what Verizon wireless or HughesNet does, with no caps on bandwidth or throughput for my customers and superior service too.

I have tower space and a panoramic 270 degree view out 40 miles or so, and seriously consider this to be one of the few options left to me if I can't secure contracts close enough to home to allow for daily commuting to/from the jobsite.

If anyone has any tips on where to look for some local positions in IT I would really appreciate it, or partners for an ISP startup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.