Young family possibly relocating to Palm Springs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Jon in Lakeville, Minnesota

75 months ago

Am I crazy to think about moving my family to Palm Springs? I'm tired of the winter and my wife and I love Palm Springs. Are there neighborhoods with a lot of young children? What about the schools? so many questions, hardly know where to start.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Palm Springs, California

66 months ago

I was born and raised in palm springs, CA. so i've got a lot of answers for ya. palm springs is mainly a gay, resort town. The school are ok but nothing amazing. the view of the mountains, all the time is great BUT though you might hate your winters, you'll hate our summers even more. i love my hometown but that's because i know where everything is but i have a 17 month old son and by the time he's ready for school, hell i might just move to lakeville, minnesota. hope i helped a little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in La Quinta, California

66 months ago

Jon in Lakeville, Minnesota said: Am I crazy to think about moving my family to Palm Springs? I'm tired of the winter and my wife and I love Palm Springs. Are there neighborhoods with a lot of young children? What about the schools? so many questions, hardly know where to start.

Thanks

Jon,

It's beautiful here. There are other communities east of Palm Springs that are not predominantly gay, like the previous person mentioned. Yes there are communities with children, maybe not tons of them, but there are. Schools are ok, but there are some wonderful private schools. October-May is beautiful. Summers are very hot. It's the opposite of what you're used to. We stay indoors in the summer, like you do in winter. I relocated from the East coast 8 years ago and just love it. Today it is 80, dry, sunny and it's snowy like crazy back East on March 2!! Cost of living may also be more than Minnesota. I have a client moving here from Minneapolis. You get used to it. I'd still rather be here. You can also rent something at the beach in the summer, it's only 2 hours away. Hope that helps.
Carol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Lakeville, Minnesota

66 months ago

Carol and Amanda,

Both comments are helpful and I appreciate the input! Of course there are pros and cons to where anyone one lives. I could get used to close to 8 months of weather one can be out in as opposed to 9 months of questionable weather.

A big factor now is the economy, does it make sense to move? I'm also aware of the 9 million dollar cut the PSUSD is proposing for next year's budget. The family will be visiting in a few weeks we'll see. At ther very least we are looking forward to a break from the cold.

I would appreciate anyone else who would like to give their opinions about a move to the area, it all helps.

Thanks,
Jon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carol adolph in La Quinta, California

61 months ago

Jon,

Of course the weather is great here in P.S. area. I agree, rather have 8-9 months of wonderful weather, than that of cold and snow. Economy, like all economies across the country is in a serious slump, but we're all on the mend, slow but sure. Schools are ok in a few towns, some good private and couple of good public. If you'd like to contact me when you come to visit, feel free.

Carol Adolph

www.marketamerica.com/caroladolph

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jbonneville in Lakeville, Minnesota

61 months ago

Debra,

No haven't yet, but still looking. We had heard that about Palm Desert as well. Problem right now is no jobs in education for administrators, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So for now it is still a vacation spot for us.

Thanks,
Jon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

carol adolph in La Quinta, California said: Jon,

Of course the weather is great here in P.S. area. I agree, rather have 8-9 months of wonderful weather, than that of cold and snow. Economy, like all economies across the country is in a serious slump, but we're all on the mend, slow but sure. Schools are ok in a few towns, some good private and couple of good public. If you'd like to contact me when you come to visit, feel free.

Carol Adolph

www.marketamerica.com/caroladolph

I appreciate that! how long have you been a P.S. resident?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

nefussy in Ledyard, Connecticut said: Hi Jon:

Just wondering if you either did or still planning on moving. My husband and I might be relocating our young family (school aged) there as well. My research indicates Palm Desert might be a better choice for schools and kids. Thanks, Debra

You probably already noticed, my response is below, still getting used to this. It has been a while since there has been any kind of response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Better schools elsewhere in San Leandro, California

41 months ago

I would agree with a few of the comments saying that Palm Springs is Not the best place for schools, and raising children. Perhaps when your kids are grown, it can still be your retirement dream home, or you could vacation somewhere else in your winter months, to get everyone away from the cold. I grew up in Canada, married an American, and didn't find Palm Springs to be very kid oriented. Northern California seemed to be a better area for that, if you're still considering California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Cathedral City, California

32 months ago

Not sure why a couple would think that moving to a gay area might be a bad idea if you have children?
Wouldn't it be better to teach your children that there are all different kinds of people in the world and that we all need to be accepting of different cultures and lifestyles?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Wendt in Murrieta, California

30 months ago

My family & I are moving to Palm Desert this summer for my husbands job :( I'm really hoping to love it & we picked Palm Desert because are daughter is starting her first year of HS & their seems to be the best in that area as we can not afford private :( but if you are looking for a wonderful place to live in southern California, I would suggest Temecula, Murrieta or menifee! My husband & I grew up in temecula & were going to miss it! It is a great place to raise a family & the weather is amazing :) + your an hour away from the beach & the snow! Any who look into it you won't be disappointed:) If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mfletcher76 in Martinsburg, West Virginia

25 months ago

I have 3 daughters and we are moving to that area next month. We would like to be out there before school starts. I really have no idea of the area. I have been doing research on line and it seems the crime rate is very high. This worries me. Can anyone give me some inside on some good areas to live in and some information on the crime in this area? Also, does anyone know of a good rental company. We would like to rent first until we get to know the area better. Thank you....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teachergirltoo in Winfield, British Columbia

20 months ago

I am surprised that there is concern about raising a family in the Desert. I was a long time resident of the Desert (Palm Springs/Palm Desert), and my siblings are all raising their families there. Yes, there are gay areas, but there are lots of family areas too and family activity. Palm Desert high school has a very high ranking academically, as well as Washington Charter school. One of my sisters and her husband have all their children attending those schools and are extremely pleased with the education they are getting. Their children are involved in after school activities and weekend soccer. Truly it all depends where you live. The Desert is a very clean environment compared to other areas, and if people are religious there are a number of congregations available for families also. As a family we have always enjoyed the location of the Desert because a person can go camping in the mountains within an hour (Idyllwild)or go camping at the beach in a short drive too. Anyway, a place is what you make it - look for good and you will find good. Hope this helps. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

KIM

15 months ago

Jon in Lakeville, Minnesota said: Am I crazy to think about moving my family to Palm Springs? I'm tired of the winter and my wife and I love Palm Springs. Are there neighborhoods with a lot of young children ? What about the schools? so many questions, hardly know where to start.

Thanks

MY FRIEND SAYS ITS NOT A PLACE TO LIVE IF YOU SEEK LIFE DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS.. IT BECOMES A GHOST TOWN.. THE HEAT SENDS PEOPLE TO OTHER PLACES COOLER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

srp in La Quinta, California

13 months ago

Have lived here before for 11 years and just moved back--could NOT get back soon enough!!! Summers are GREAT!!! Yes, they are hot, but so are many places--the South for one? And they have deep fried humidity. YUCK. Most restaurants stay open all summer as do most shops. Taught for 9 years here and there is NOTHING wrong with the schools--public schools are good and bad wherever you live--depends on the class mix, the teachers, the admin, and what wacky test is the soup of the day...varies all over the US. We love the desert and chose it over our home in the hill country just outside San Antonio TX. Thurs night street fair in Palm Springs is fun...COD open mkt is fun on weekends. Living Desert is not to be missed. And then there are all the gorgeous mountains!!! And--there are 13 natural occurring oasises...What is the plural of oasis? Just like anywhere else it is good and bad. The traffic is perfect compared to most of S. CA...niiiiiiice. Can get from one end of the valley to the other in no time flat!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Palm Springs, California

6 months ago

No, you're not crazy. We are a straight couple in our 30's without kids. We moved here from New York after I was offered a great job at one of the hospitals. Honestly, I wish Palm Springs was more like it was before Sonny Bono ruined it. I never liked him. It's great the gay community has found a home here, but it's also not that fun if you're straight. It's just okay. I love hiking and nature in general, so I enjoy that part, and we entertain.

Even though we could afford South Palm Springs, we bought on the north end to stay out of the small town fray. People complain it's windy down here. It is for a couple of months out of the year off and on. To us, it feels like a change of seasons. This area is going through a rejuvenation and we bought a huge lot for a great deal.

Summers are awful - can't go outside really, not for long, but we have close friends and family in LA who we visit when it gets bad.

People who've been here for years can be a little jaded to someone from a city, but then I've never been around townies before. Very gossipy. We stay away. Everyone knows each other, and some people don't know when to shut up about who they know and what they know about whom. Big Woo. We tend to surround ourselves with people who are also new to the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave S. in Palm Desert, California

25 days ago

I moved my family to the Palm Springs area from living in the Midwest all our lives (Chicagoland & Iowa & Michigan) two years ago and we are moving back next month after 2 years of California.
Here is a summary of our experience here:
1.) The cost of living is 15% higher than the Midwest especially like electric in the summer is $600 -$1000.
2.) the summers can be as hot as in the 120's and you have to stay indoors from May until October. The rest if the year is 80 and below during the day and as low as 50 at night or occasionally in the 40's
3.) the taxes and regulatory laws here are insane and lawsuits everywhere
4.) I've always had two jobs but in the last 5 months my position has been eliminated twice
5.) there are a lot of people in the Coachella Valley but most are only here part time and from canada or Washington or Oregon.
6.) the gay community here seems to be about the most normal and friendliest group here otherwise it's difficult to make friends with the locals
7.) a lot of whacky people and a lot of unfriendly people compared to the Midwest
8.) most of the children are at the East end of the valley in Indio or La Quinta and the schools out here are predominately Hispanic (90% +). Children that are not Hispanic can often feel isolated even though they are not treated that way
9.) the police are not very nice in most cases especially the highway patrol
10.) DMV and most other branches of government are next to impossible to deal with and the regs in the state make it even more difficult to get anything done
11.) economy is in shambles and homeless are everywhere and crime rampant in many areas too. Breakins by armed intruders are common occurrences even in gated communities
12.) most developments are gated and require HOA fees every month up to $250

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.