How do you find jobs in this economy? Is anyone hiring?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

jobless :( in Pensacola, Florida

50 months ago

I'm always looking, but I'm never in the right place at the right time. I've been learning it's not what you know it's who you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stay at-home Dad in Modesto, California

50 months ago

I haven't been able to find anything for over a year. It's definitely who you know nowadays more than ever. That's why they say to network as much as you can, and go to group meetings from LinkedIn for your local groups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

amanethes in Woodstock, Georgia

50 months ago

jobless :( in Pensacola, Florida said: I'm always looking, but I'm never in the right place at the right time. I've been learning it's not what you know it's who you know.

ECUA is hiring several operators for their water treatment plants. Pay is $17-$28 depending on certification.

alan_pace in Apo

45 months ago

I use to look for jobs on the internet, which doesn't work very well. You need to go to the place you want to work, go in and fill out an application. Look for placement companies, Addecco, Aerotek, etc, they work pretty well. The best way to get hired is know someone, connections!!!!!

alan headrick in Pace, Florida

16 months ago

Well After alomst being killed in Afghanistan I came home last August. Its April now and no job. My son who graduated from UWF last May is still looking too. He is telling me we need to move far away from here, Texas or Colorado. Easier said than done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Gulf Breeze, Florida

16 months ago

alan headrick in Pace, Florida said: Well After alomst being killed in Afghanistan I came home last August. Its April now and no job. My son who graduated from UWF last May is still looking too. He is telling me we need to move far away from here, Texas or Colorado. Easier said than done.

Well, I know places now they are hiring. Have you ever tried to apply for Mediacom? Not sure if you like CSR jobs or not. I've managed to maintain a decent job lately, just keep trying and applying nd something has finally come along. Best of luck to you and your son. I know, the feeling. I know, Mediacom does have a training class coming up. Its not he best job, but it is a job. :)

alan headrick in Colorado Springs, Colorado

11 months ago

Well after a year off I am back in Afghanistan. My contract ends in March so I will back looking again. I am dreading it already.
I applied at medicom four times and they never called. Not really sure who CRS is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

11 months ago

jobless :( in Pensacola, Florida said: I'm always looking, but I'm never in the right place at the right time. I've been learning it's not what you know it's who you know.

That's exactly it. Schmoozing, networking...helps, but it's really about how WELL connected you are. If your father works with the boss at XYZZ company and they need someone, you have an in.
Some are not even qualified and they get jobs, like DEAD WOOD, and the rest of the employees have to do their jobs for them.

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

11 months ago

alan_pace in Apo said: I use to look for jobs on the internet, which doesn't work very well. You need to go to the place you want to work, go in and fill out an application. Look for placement companies, Addecco, Aerotek , etc, they work pretty well. The best way to get hired is know someone, connections!!!!!

I have personally walked into companies asking to fill out applications. The vast majority of companies respond that applications must be filled out online, paper is not an option. My name and resume is on file with so many placement agencies I have lost count. No luck. I have been to job fairs that specifically advertise "hiring managers on site" only to be told "look online to see what positions are available and apply online."

I have heard networking is basically the only way to get a job these days, yes there are exceptions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Job fairs are a waste of time. I went to several and here are my observations. They just tell you to apply on line, they almost never take resumes. Half the boths were selling something, time shares, cookies, advertisments for local businesses.

Yes networking is the only way.

On another note my son is a college grad working at a temp job. He will get cut 1 October, I believe thats the same time Obama care starts up?

11 months ago

One more thing since I have to keep leaving the country to work I have never established and connections in our area. So I am at a disadvantage.

I tried to talk my wife into leaving the area, but grand kids are keeping her here. Even with moving to somewhere else I may have the same thing again. I have also noticed a lot of companies will tell you they won't hire out of town people.

After six years of this mess people are wearing thin and everyone has a breaking point. I really wonder how much longer can this go on.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

alan headrick in Pace, Florida said:
I tried to talk my wife into leaving the area, but grand kids are keeping her here. Even with moving to somewhere else I may have the same thing again. I have also noticed a lot of companies will tell you they won't hire out of town people.

What they mean is that they won't pay relocation expenses anymore. Both of my moves were on my dime. I was lucky in that I got a job both times. Whew! Still, its a risk.

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

11 months ago

The only way you find job in this economy is through APPLYING for it.

Apply for 150 jobs per month. That's 5 resumes sent per day.

But don't do it completely thoughtlessly. Don't just "spam" all employers out there with your resume, regardless of position/requirements etc.

Find the balance, instead. Look under certain categories/types of jobs and filter at least 5 per day that you think you should apply to. It's not all that difficult, you will see tens of jobs posted daily on almost any major category, so selecting 5 (more or less fitting to your purpose) is not impossibility.

As you go you will get a better feel of it: use it to improve your strategy, select jobs you apply for. Work on your resume. You can say one thing in ten different ways. Find the most efficient, clear and optimal choice of words.

And don't expect anything. Just do it as if you were brushing your teeth every morning. Just do it (5 resumes per day x 30 days = 150 resumes per month).

The key is: do not have high expectations and do not give up after a week or even a month of unsuccessful attempts. And remember: there is a job that is looking for you. You just have to find it like, literally, a needle in a hay-stack.

Good luck!

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

11 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: I have personally walked into companies asking to fill out applications. The vast majority of companies respond that applications must be filled out online, paper is not an option. My name and resume is on file with so many placement agencies I have lost count. No luck. I have been to job fairs that specifically advertise "hiring managers on site" only to be told "look online to see what positions are available and apply online."

I have heard networking is basically the only way to get a job these days, yes there are exceptions.

I found my job without networking (no one I know of works where I work now or knows anyone there).

Each individual is different, and so are circumstances. In my case I had no chance of landing a job via networking (I am not in good in "small talk" and making connections), so I could do was to go online, search for jobs and apply for as many as I could.

In retrospective I think I was extremely lucky (I found a full time job with benefits in exactly the field that I was looking to), but aside from luck I also did certain things, such as sending tens of resumes per week (preferably 5 a day), focusing on certain type of jobs and etc.

I am not going to say that everyone who looks for a job can get one (obviously, we have only X number of jobs vs. X+Y active age workforce population, so Y must always be out of workforce).
But, if someone asks me HOW DO YOU GET A JOB IN THIS ECONOMY I can speak from my personal experience and tell what I think worked the best in my case.

Good luck to all!

JS

11 months ago

JS in Bethesda, Maryland said: I found my job without networking (no one I know of works where I work now or knows anyone there).

Each individual is different, and so are circumstances. In my case I had no chance of landing a job via networking (I am not in good in "small talk" and making connections), so I could do was to go online, search for jobs and apply for as many as I could.

In retrospective I think I was extremely lucky (I found a full time job with benefits in exactly the field that I was looking to), but aside from luck I also did certain things, such as sending tens of resumes per week (preferably 5 a day), focusing on certain type of jobs and etc.

I am not going to say that everyone who looks for a job can get one (obviously, we have only X number of jobs vs. X+Y active age workforce population, so Y must always be out of workforce).
But, if someone asks me HOW DO YOU GET A JOB IN THIS ECONOMY I can speak from my personal experience and tell what I think worked the best in my case.

Good luck to all!

JS

And the exception shows up showing that jobs can be found without networking :)

I hope the job is going all right JS.

11 months ago

I think in one year while I was home I applied to maybe 25 jobs locally that were somewhat close to what I do. I had one phone interview. My point is there are 5 military bases here and Just Escambia county is about 250,000 people but there are just no jobs listed. I have a TS clearance, nothing. All I see is fast food, day care, retail sale and Quantum Scientist.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

alan headrick in Pace, Florida said: I think in one year while I was home I applied to maybe 25 jobs locally that were somewhat close to what I do. I had one phone interview. My point is there are 5 military bases here and Just Escambia county is about 250,000 people but there are just no jobs listed. I have a TS clearance, nothing. All I see is fast food, day care, retail sale and Quantum Scientist.

Same here with the exception of Quantum Scientist. Its all minimum wage.

11 months ago

Well, the king (oooppppsss, governor) of MD has declared that the recession (what we all know as a depression) is over in this state. Yea. Right. Do not believe it... even for one millisecond. Businesses are still closing, I personally know all of one person who has found a job in this state. The other unemployed folks I know still can not find anything.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: Well, the king (oooppppsss, governor) of MD has declared that the recession (what we all know as a depression) is over in this state. Yea. Right. Do not believe it... even for one millisecond. Businesses are still closing, I personally know all of one person who has found a job in this state. The other unemployed folks I know still can not find anything.

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

etoby23 in Essex, Maryland

11 months ago

O'Malley said it's over? HA! Although I am seeing more jobs in my industry, they are few and far between.

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Yup!

etoby23 in Essex, Maryland said: O'Malley said it's over? HA! Although I am seeing more jobs in my industry, they are few and far between.

It was on the noon news. Say anything to get into the presidential race. We truly don't want this clown to be pres......

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.