relocation from uk

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

sam todd in London, United Kingdom

78 months ago

I have been offered a job in Phoenix at $20 per hour.
Is this a good rate of pay or an average wage?
It is hard to try and compare cost of living etc between the UK and the US because of the numerous cost of living differences and taxes etc.. between the two countries.
Any help,advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Darryl Pickett in Phoenix, Arizona

77 months ago

Working out of Phoenix, AZ. YES!!! It is a good paying job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Rooster in El Paso, Texas

77 months ago

Its an ok wage. Do you know how hot it gets in Phoenix? Be prepared for 111 degrees and hotter. Live cose to your work. The freeways are unbelieveably congested during morning and dusk rush hours. Get a car with dam good a/c and stay indoors as often as you can. Dont screw up and go to jail-<Edited by Host: Name Removed> will getcha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

phxNorth in Phoenix, Arizona

77 months ago

What is your profession? Other specifics, how long have you been at it, etc. What is your profession? Other specifics, how long have you been at it, etc. Pay for performance is relevant in a reasonable company.
Marital status is not relevant to salary. Anyone that considers your salary based on marital status or how many children you have are idiots – being married and having kids is by choice. Everybody has bills and choices. Single people have to foot the whole bill every month all year, whether they’re sick or lose a job. Married people have to foot the bill of 2 people when spouses loose a job or become disabled. Everyone has a story they feel is meaningful to everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bambam

69 months ago

No matter what your profession is, I think $20 per hour is average for a standard white collar worker in the US economy as it is now. You are lucky to have a job offer in Arizona. I recently attended a job fair in Phoenix with over 16,000 people looking for jobs. My advice: If your jobs in the UK is stable, rethink moving to AZ. My job of 12 years in AZ. recently ended due to the poor economy here, our entire office was closed and we were non-profit! Best of luck to you in your journey!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben Rose in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

@ bambam

Quote: "You are lucky to have a job offer in Arizona. I recently attended a job fair in Phoenix with over 16,000 people looking for jobs."

2 Questions to you:

Why is somebody lucky to work or have a job offer in AZ?

(I would love to work in another state!)

What job fair in AZ was that where over 16000 ( you mean 1600) people looking for jobs.
Answer would be great!

Best

Ben

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bambam

69 months ago

Dear Ben,
Arizona is a great place to live; I love it here. The job market has been hit hard here with the poor economy in the U.S.
The job fair was put on by one of the largest employment marketers, job.com. I am sorry to say that there were 16,000 people looking for jobs (I actually asked the attendance individual for the specific #, because we had to wait in line just to park!). My friend just interviewed at an insurance company for an entry level position, they had 246 applications for one job. If the job is secure that you are considering, I'd say "take it"!
Sincerely,
Sonja

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

$20 PER HOUR IS NOT BAD, BUT AGAIN IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE JOB IS. I WOULD REALLY WANT TO LIVE AND WORK IN THE U.S. IF I WAS DOING OK OR BETTER IN GB.
LISTEN THE PREVIOUS POST ABOUT THE HEAT BUT THEN AGAIN THE SKY IS CLEAR AND BLUE 300+ DAYS A YEAR. IF YOU CAN SHOW UP WITH SOME MONEY HOUSES ARE CHEAP NOW..$100K CAN GET YOU A REASONABLE PLACE--$200K WOULD BE A R E A L L Y NICE PLACE. SOCIAL NET IN U.S. IS NOTHING LIKE EUROPE IN CASE OF JOB/MONEY/MEDICAL PROBLEMS. WE DO HAVE BEST HEALTH CARE ON PLANET, FOR SOMEONE!. GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monika in Bromley, United Kingdom

6 months ago

sam todd in London, United Kingdom said: I have been offered a job in Phoenix at $20 per hour.
Is this a good rate of pay or an average wage?
It is hard to try and compare cost of living etc between the UK and the US because of the numerous cost of living differences and taxes etc.. between the two countries.
Any help,advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I know this was put up a while ago but just in case you can still respond, I just wanted to know where the job fair was? Was it in AZ or the UK? Any info would be great as my partner and I (both fro UK) are wanting to move to AZ.
Thanks!
Monika

adam2681 in United Kingdom

5 months ago

Monika in Bromley, United Kingdom said: I know this was put up a while ago but just in case you can still respond, I just wanted to know where the job fair was? Was it in AZ or the UK? Any info would be great as my partner and I (both fro UK) are wanting to move to AZ.
Thanks!
Monika

Me too Monika, I've wanted to live in the states for years. Everyone keeps telling me that because of the nhs over here in the UK I'd be mad to want to live anywhere else. I know it's different from being on holiday but I just love the american way of life, And I'm prepared to work at it if I could get over there. Me and my girlfriend know a couple in their fiftys who live in Phoenix (he lived in Plymouth where I'm from and married an american lady) who I'm hoping would help us out to move there. But I have no idea where to start.

Have you looked into how to move there?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.