why is hard for a felon to get a job but if your a lawyer,judge no problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 262)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

bob in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

Hey your not alone.I've been trying to get a job for awhile now and they won't hire an ex-felon,my offense happened over 30 years ago,most state have you EVER! been convicted of a felony.I don't think it's right,but,what can you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sam in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

i made a mistake as well, but i have made a complete turn around by going back to school and obtaining my bachelor's degree this december(20080. All i need know is for someone to give me a chance to apply my skills and showcase the knowledge i have obtain. Any takers... respond at sammaldo100@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

I'M GOING THROUGH SAME THING AND I AM ON PROBATION I JUST FINISHED SCHOOLING FOR (HVAC) ALOT OF COMPANIES WON'T TAKE ME CAUSE I GUESS THE FACT OF THAT I WILL BE ENTERING HOMES AND IT WASNT EVEN FOR ROBBERY OR ANYTHING BUT I TELL YOU THIS MUCH PUT YOUR TRUST IN GOD AND READ BIBLE AND PRAY ASK GOD TO TRANSFORM YOUR WAYS AND TO COME IN TO YOUR HEART THEN THE REST WILL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU AND ALL IS GOD'S TIMING NOT OURS! EVEREYTHING IN OUR LIFE IS MEANT TO BUILD US NOT TO BREAK US GOD IS AWESOME LET HIM HAPPEN TO YOU!YOU COULD PROBABLY TRY SELF CONTRACTORS MAYBE THEY WILL GIVE YOU A SHOT.DON'T GIVE UP THE DEVIL IS A LIAR!
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jh in San Antonio, Texas

67 months ago

[QUOTE who=I made a mistake 13 years ago got a break working with family doing home health care. I recieved two years experience . looking for another job even with two yrs. exp. has got me nowhere.No one will hire me due to my past. It brings me down. I tell myself the wonder alot people like me turn back to crime. they feel there is no other choice. wrong dont give up.I havnt I have children and living behind bars will really get me nowhere.Im still without work . freedom and my family is worth waiting and stuggling for a job .is worth it all. our day will happen and it will be worth it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Davie1 in Winder, Georgia

67 months ago

redsfn7576 in Columbus, Ohio said: Well none of you are alone. I am a convicted felon. Its been tweleve years and it sill haunts me. I have over 8 years in the trucking industry no acc. no tickets. I've been out of work for a month and a half. I cant find a job anywhere because of my past mistakes. Its not fair and seems like no one gives a squat.

its another form of racism

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

redsfn7576 in Columbus, Ohio

67 months ago

i dont know about racism. but i definitely feel like it is discrimination. but nobody cares no one will ever do anything about it. we are looked at like the scum of the earth no matter what uyou have done with your life since then

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna

67 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

Go to SA Quality Fence & Welding-they give you a chance to change your life ask for Craig Noto or Ollie Burkett....My best of luck
to you....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cc in Somerville, Massachusetts

65 months ago

its a pretty sad, and cruel world. I am 30 yr old women, and a felon, I was yound and stupid. i ahve been denied jobs too. probation says keep trying, no one will ever understand unless they have walked in our shoes!!!! sorry we are all going through this.. stay strong and positive!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

Hello everyone - please don't feel like you are going through this alone. I am a felon. It's been 21 yrs since my conviction and I have been home 14 yrs coming in May. I had worked for a Fortune 500 company up until last month - when I was laid off with another 100 people due to the economy. I was making more money then my PO, but now I'm not making anything. I have filled out approximately 60+ applications - which I know I more then qualified but I haven't rec'd not one call back. We all know why they don't call back. It's like OMG - they have been in prison - they are bad bad people. I hate we are judged by the felons who come home and screw up again. Not all of us are like that. There are a handful of us - who are really trying to make the best life we can for ourselves and our family. If we could only create an organization that would actually help us felons - that would be awesome, but we are talking about society - and we aren't going to get any breaks regardless. If anyone hears of someone willing to take a chance, please drop me a line. I am a single mother, with mortgage, car note etc, and of course don't qualify for state assistance because my house and vehicle appraises out too much.... Go figure... Thanks for reading and GOOD LUCK to everyone.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M290farley@gmail.comF in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

cc in Somerville, Massachusetts said: its a pretty sad, and cruel world. I am 30 yr old women, and a felon, I was yound and stupid. i ahve been denied jobs too. probation says keep trying, no one will ever understand unless they have walked in our shoes!!!! sorry we are all going through this.. stay strong and positive!!!!!!!!

stay strong yes! we need to fight back and change the laws we need a lawyer to represent us nation wide any ideas everybody reading this needs to email me so we can bond together for now and tomorrow ex offenders rise up!!! let are voice be heard we've paid in full already!!!! why should we suffer for ever!!!! it's not fair! it's a crime in itself what there doing to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

Hi everyone - I went out and created a petition for the Texas felons on the employment situation. I know this may not do anything, but you know what we have to stick together and try and get something done about this. We are not evil or mean people, we are just people who made careless mistakes, did our time and now trying to live our life the way we should. Take a look at the link attached and please by all means sign it and get everyone you know to sign it. I'm also going to try and get a meeting with my State Rep to see just what, if anything, going to try and help us. On another note Project Rio - will only help you get a minimum paying job, so therefore its up to us, to take care and look out for each other. If I hear of anyone hiring, I will post it... Good Luck and lets try to get something going. Who knows we might find some new lawyer who is interested and ready to make a name for himself...

Employment for Felons petition:

www.gopetition.com/online/27417.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in San Antonio, Texas

62 months ago

M290farley@gmail.comF in San Antonio, Texas said: Yes we should form a colation and demand a new laws for ex offenders that stay out of trouble and have a proven track record of being stable in society.. I'm pissed I have 2 felon Dwi's and am screwed!!! now for life it seem. I'm a good soul and would save a stranger from harm way I never hurt anyone at all and I am rejected from great jobs all the time what can we do theres a lot of naton wide that are trying to make and are doing great staying out of trouble and we are just slamed nation wide!!!!! this was got to change! why can are state offical not pay taxes untill there asked to and still run for office and break all kind off civil laws.

I am not an exoffender but I work with women exoffenders at a nonprofit-I can somewhat feel your pain...just remember, we were all young once-I did alot of illegal activities as most of us have-ask Obama and Clinton (one inhaled and the other didn't-ha!ha!) My point is-I've done everything everyone else has-but never got caught. That is only difference between a felon and one without a record. That is what I tell my girls at the re-entry program and any goody two-shoes who says they didn't are liars and hypocrits. Exoffenders need to speak up for themselves...protest and tell republican, conservative, Texas they need to get off their high horse and face the mess of a lifetime of poverty and hopelessness they have created for their people. Hard2hire.org is an exoffenders job site. Keep your chin up and remember everyone is a hypocrit and the people doing the HR are only low paid employees themselves without the ability to think outside the box that has been provided for them. Protest and organize because you are the majority of the votes if you would become an activist. Keep me posted MB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SupportExpungement

62 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

In addition to praying you can send letters to the President, and Members of Congress & the Senate. Share this link with all your family and friends - even with strangers. We are the People who elected these People to work for the People. The more noise you make - the more you'll be heard!

www.petition2congress.com/2/1977/go/343321

Let us send as many letters so as we can and let them know it's time to stop dodging their responsibility to us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lydia in San Antonio, Texas

61 months ago

Donna said: Go to SA Quality Fence & Welding-they give you a chance to change your life ask for Craig Noto or Ollie Burkett....My best of luck
to you....

Thanks I will share this with my son!! God Bless you for sharing this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

educated convict in San Antonio, Texas

61 months ago

Hello everyone, Im a convicted felon which happened 20yrs ago. I have changed my life and graduated with a bachelors degree in business(2004) then went and graduated with a masters degree in business (2006). I still cant find a job that is above minimum wage. Its pretty sad when people change their lives and nobody will give you a chance. However, I have found that if you are off of probation for 5 yrs you can go to law school and become a lawyer. LOL. It is a crime for an employer to tell you that they can not hire you becuase you have a record. A good thing to do is to take a tape recorder and tape them saying it to you and then get an discrimmination lawyer. GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

grandma felon in San Antonio, Texas

61 months ago

I pray for each and every one of us that we all find employment that allows a living wage. Unfortunately I see why it is so hard for felons to get work. It's about trust and potential cost to employees. I am blessed to have found a job that allows me to support my family but it was almost 20 coming. I feel that I have to work harder and be better at my job than my coworkers due to my history but my boss is fully aware of my youthful transgressions and he sees past it. One thing that I think helped me is a sense of humor. But the main driving force is trust and faith in GOD. Knowing that if He wanted me to stay clean He'd have to show me where to get work. Recovery groups are wonderful places to get strength and for networking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

grandma felon in San Antonio, Texas

61 months ago

Sorry I meant potential cost to employers and they have to be worried about their bottom line and the risk of getting sued by their customers if they place their trust in the wrong potential employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a truck driver

61 months ago

You could look into truck driving. I'm actually not a felon, but I have to answer that question on applications, and I noted that many of them ask if you've been convicted in the past five years, or some other short time frame. The strictness of that will vary. Case in point: when I was in what is basically OJT (after getting my CDL), both trainers I had revealed to me that they had felonies on their record, including one DUI apiece. While out on the road, I met other drivers who had something here or there, some of which I'm sure were felonies. I know that "felony" is a broad category encompassing many crimes; and I also have heard (not experienced) that since the question is often, "Have you EVER been convicted..." that some companies won't hire you even if you had that conviction overturned. Frankly, I'm glad I never have had to go through this; but, my heart is with those of you who have truly learned from your mistakes yet can't get a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sad that my life is over in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

I have a federal felony of mail fraud for making fake ids when I was 20... send them all around the US. Finally got caught when I was 21 from an under cover sting in New York. I spent one month in prison and five months on house arrest. I'm a 23 year old senior college student who can't find work... Not only do I have student loans to pay off but I've got a ton of lawyer bills, from the 7 month battle. Before I was arrested I used to be a bartender. Also, worked at Geek Squad as a computer tech. Made a huge mistake and now my whole life is going to be this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jallen2000 in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

You life is not over. All things can be over come. Just keep going to school and believe in yourself. I have twenty seven years of record but I have never let that stop me. There is that one job out there that is just for you. I am now a sophmore in college and out of work also and what makes it even harder is I am not 23 but I refuse to give up. I am a survivor and I might have to start at the bottom again but I know that where I start is not where I will finish. I am a leader and will always put myself out to succeed. You hang in there just remember your life is just starting over and only you can make it what you want.

BroncoBilly in Anna, Texas

60 months ago

You guys don't seem to know about this law in Texas that limits the time to 7 years for reporting your criminal history. Here's the link www.spiritllc.biz/stateswithsevenyearlimitations2

The catch is you can't make more than $75,000 per year. So now, go forth my children, and lie on your applications. They can't check past 7 years in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

unreliable4uall in San Antonio, Texas

59 months ago

I see no hope is this discriminating world we call home.

jallen2000 in San Antonio, Texas

59 months ago

Never ever give up before the miracle happens. If you give up you'll never know if that next step would have changed your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

todd robles in channelview, Texas

58 months ago

i am too a felon,i work in the warehousing industry,i know how to operate numerous forklifts,palletjack, manlift, i have experiance of being a supervisor,i went to prison for robbery and bodily injury,i was sentenced to ten years,this was in 1995, just got released in 2005,i did the whole ten in there,i was working for companies that really didnt ask about background,then the economy gets bad and i get laid off.i had a daughter that was born 2 months ago,i filled out many applications, seen many workforces,staffing agents,they only see the felony, they dont know that it was a fight that resulted in the guy saying a gold chain was taken, they dont know that i was just breaking up a fight.i recently had a daughter along with 3 other kids my fiance has,rent is due, phone is gonna get cut off on the 15,lights are due,what am i to do? im not a bad person but i need money, should i go out and do things for money or is someone gonna throw me a life jacket? who can help??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jallen2000 in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

First of all there are a huge number or agencies out there to help with the bills. It is alot of work but they will help. I found that not working was more work than clocking in somewhere. United Way has a list and the food stamp office has a list. Salvation Army has excellent staff and resources. Now never, never give up hope. The right door will open for you. You have to keep trying and that one interview will pay off. My record is horrible but I know that I have the skills to give the right employer. Sometimes it is alot of self talk and other times you just need to vent to someone. But if you know in your heart that you are good and qualified then you walk in those interviews and sell yourself. And if you don't get hired it wasn't the right job. Sometimes desperation makes us fell like ever interview has to be the one but actually there is something that would just not fit us. Hang in there.You can over come. I look at how much effort I put into the hard part of 37 years and know that I can put that effort and more into getting the right life. If you need some more help in the resource department let me know through this forum and I will pull some information together for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

willie lyte in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

It is bad that we can't be given a second chance.I read an article on line about how the city of boston pays bounuses to the police,county jail sheriffs,and the state police to drop a clean urine. I like many of you have much work experience,but no one will give me a chance.How are we surpose to live.Our dreams of starting over, setteling down, buying a house, start a family are fading fast and I bet this is what contribute to some felons going back to prison or return to the drug that they swore never to use.That's becuase no one want to give us a chance.Do we give up(NO) Are we being told by society that there is no second chance for felons (SEEMS LIKE IT)Nevertheless life goes on and a second just went by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Benny Blanco in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

Eric in San Antonio, Texas said: I'M GOING THROUGH SAME THING AND I AM ON PROBATION I JUST FINISHED SCHOOLING FOR (HVAC) ALOT OF COMPANIES WON'T TAKE ME CAUSE I GUESS THE FACT OF THAT I WILL BE ENTERING HOMES AND IT WASNT EVEN FOR ROBBERY OR ANYTHING BUT I TELL YOU THIS MUCH PUT YOUR TRUST IN GOD AND READ BIBLE AND PRAY ASK GOD TO TRANSFORM YOUR WAYS AND TO COME IN TO YOUR HEART THEN THE REST WILL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU AND ALL IS GOD'S TIMING NOT OURS! EVEREYTHING IN OUR LIFE IS MEANT TO BUILD US NOT TO BREAK US GOD IS AWESOME LET HIM HAPPEN TO YOU!YOU COULD PROBABLY TRY SELF CONTRACTORS MAYBE THEY WILL GIVE YOU A SHOT.DON'T GIVE UP THE DEVIL IS A LIAR!
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!

Just lay down and put our trust in God? We have to stand and unite. This is illegal, we're being punished after we have paid our dues. Its time we unite and change whats wrong, if you've done time you know when ish hits the fan you either stand or buckle so what the hell are we going do.God put us on earth as a test, we have too stand on our own before we can sis with him. God Bless Stay strong.

Benny Blanco in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

BroncoBilly in Anna, Texas said: You guys don't seem to know about this law in Texas that limits the time to 7 years for reporting your criminal history. Here's the link www.spiritllc.biz/stateswithsevenyearlimitations2

The catch is you can't make more than $75,000 per year. So now, go forth my children, and lie on your applications. They can't check past 7 years in Texas.

God Bless bro, I got to double check on this, but it reads true so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

cs in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

I know everybody makes mistakes, but I believed on second, third chances or how many long to make it right. I've met couple ex-felon co-workers before. They are hard worker and they really show that they've change their life style. Just keep praying to the FATHER he will make things happen for you. HE made you and I to worship HIM, and to ask HIM for everything we need. The FATHER just waiting for us to ask HIM for help. We tend to ask others for help. But, GOD he will make it happen!!!just try it, I know most of you probably thinks its crazy to say this things, but I am a firm believer of miracles....GOD MADE IT HAPPENED FOR ME MANY MANY TIMES no matter how many mistakes I've ever done and still do.

Look at this way, if you have a child who needed help...won't you help your child? A loving father will help his child no matter what they have done.....
Our FATHER IN HEAVEN is the same....REACH OUT TO GOD....WON'T HURT TO TRY.. YOU WILL BE LOVE AND BLESSING WILL COME UPON YOU....HE SAID IN THE BIBLE...ASK AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU...SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND...KNOCK AND IT SHALL BE OPEN....you never know till you try asking...your blessing in the sky is in your hand...reach out....if it happened to me it will happen to you. Don't give up on your dreams......GOD LOVES ALL OF US... GOD BLESS TO ALL OF YOU.....
DON'T FORGET TO ASK GOD.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

xfelons4jobs in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

Hello I am Paul. I am a convicted Felon. I was convicted of felony forgery in 2002. Or as I call it a wake up call. I was 19 and had no dad or mom for the discipline I needed. Well the government did not care I was just acting out due to lack of love from a parental figure. They just cared if they could put me in jail for 2 stolen checks for 300 dollars. I know it was wrong. I even made emends with the person I stole from. Now it has been over 8 years since probation an no other charges. It only takes one time for me to straighten up. So I am glade it happen for the fact my life is better. In the sense that I do not get in any type of trouble anymore. But now 2 kids married and moved to a new city. And NO JOB-I can’t even get a job at IHOP. I went to college and have a great drive to learn new things. But who cares right. Employers don’t. I can’t get licensed for any trades in Texas like HVAC or electrical. So I Ask myself what now.
Give up-Keep hitting my head against the wall or ACT. This is wrong I am not a second class citizen. I am a American. I will start a organization for felons that have changed there lives and want better. If you would like to write me on comments or suggestion about this email me at felons4jobs@gmail.com .
We must stand together. We have rights to. Lets help each other. Bye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Micki in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

How many of you went to the Job Fair for felons on the 24th? I did not get to go this year but last year was many good companies unknown to me that hired felons-mostly construction and labor jobs though. There should be another one coming up-once a year is too long to wait for these opportunities. Paul is right...its time to stand up whilethere is a good president in office and begin legislation to end your sentence when your time is served. Has anyone checked the seven year limitation website above? I am a grad student focusing on re-entry limitations-I do not have a felony but am dealing with a mother who has a felony, can't find work and cannot get an apt. You are not helpless-there are organizations such as the R-entry Round Table that convenes monthly at the city courthouse. We are just advocates-we cannot rally for change without ex-offenders rallying for change too. Become political and vote-become vocal, I'm tired of passive citizens just riding along and cussing about change-organize with your community grassroots-become proactive instead of reactive. Help us out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

krazykane in Reading, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

agree, contact me and I will help start a major coalition

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

Shannon in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello everyone - please don't feel like you are going through this alone. I am a felon. It's been 21 yrs since my conviction and I have been home 14 yrs coming in May. I had worked for a Fortune 500 company up until last month - when I was laid off with another 100 people due to the economy. I was making more money then my PO, but now I'm not making anything. I have filled out approximately 60+ applications - which I know I more then qualified but I haven't rec'd not one call back. We all know why they don't call back. It's like OMG - they have been in prison - they are bad bad people. I hate we are judged by the felons who come home and screw up again. Not all of us are like that. There are a handful of us - who are really trying to make the best life we can for ourselves and our family. If we could only create an organization that would actually help us felons - that would be awesome, but we are talking about society - and we aren't going to get any breaks regardless. If anyone hears of someone willing to take a chance, please drop me a line. I am a single mother, with mortgage, car note etc, and of course don't qualify for state assistance because my house and vehicle appraises out too much.... Go figure... Thanks for reading and GOOD LUCK to everyone.....

Hello Shannon, I have been going through the same ordeal as everyone else. I'd hopefully like to talk more with you about what's happening if you are available. musikman1115@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stallion1824 in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

sam in San Antonio, Texas said: i made a mistake as well, but i have made a complete turn around by going back to school and obtaining my bachelor's degree this december(20080. All i need know is for someone to give me a chance to apply my skills and showcase the knowledge i have obtain. Any takers... respond at sammaldo100@yahoo.com

My office happened 25 years ago, and now one wanted to give me the chance to prove myself. So, I decided, the hell with everyone, I am going to create my own destiny... I started my own business!! It didn't take much to start, and now I control my own survival in this cruel world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stallion1824 in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

My felony happened 25 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cheryl3877 in Saugus, Massachusetts

57 months ago

cruel world it is!!!! thanks for the inspiration

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

BroncoBilly is correct. The law can be found on the Texas Legislature's website: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and here is a direct link to the section that contains the 7 year limit for background checks: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

However, protecting your rights under this law is easier said than done. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of different "credit reporting agencies" (CRAs) that prepare background reports for employers. Not all of them follow Texas law. Many CRAs actually have there place of business in another state. The law DOES apply to them insofar as they are preparing reports on Texas employment applicants for Texas employers, but enforcing the law is difficult. You have to understand your legal rights and the legal procedures you must use.

If your offense is beyond the 7 year limit, then first of all do NOT volunteer the information on an employment application. Check the box that says "No" and do not admit to the offense at any time during the process. If it appears on a background report obtained by your employer, then formally contest the accuracy of the report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and request a copy of the report and the contact information for the CRA that prepared the report for the employer. (If you cite the Texas law instead of the FCRA, it will alert the employer to the 7 year limit.) Then contact the CRA and inform them of the Texas law regarding the 7 year limit and they are obligated to resubmit a corrected report to the employer. Hire an attorney if necessary or atleast threaten to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lifer in Morristown, New Jersey

57 months ago

There are only 12 states that have a 7 year limit on what can be included on a third party background check, and as posted above, most have salary limits of approximately 20,000 dollars. Meaning if you make more than 20,000 dollars the 7 year limit does not apply.

What this says is, you may work at McDonalds but nothing else. If a company run a background check on its own, they do not have to follow the FCRA and may use what ever they want.

California: CA Civil Code (Consumer Credit Reporting Agencies Act) 1785.13.6 – Conviction No consumer credit reporting agency shall make any consumer credit report containing any of the following items of information (6) Records of arrest, indictment, information, misdemeanor complaint, or conviction of a crime that, from the date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years. These items of information shall no longer be reported if at any time it is learned that in the case of a conviction a full pardon has been granted, or in the case of an arrest, indictment, information or misdemeanor complaint a conviction did not result.

Colorado: CRS 12-14-.3-105.3 (1)(e) – Reporting of information prohibited No consumer reporting agency shall make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (e) Records of arrest, indictment or conviction of a crime that, from the date of disposition, release, or parole, predate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $75,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

Kansas: KS Chapter 50 Article 7 – Fair Credit Reporting - Obsolete Information:
Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report b

57 months ago

Kansas: KS Chapter 50 Article 7 – Fair Credit Reporting - Obsolete Information:
Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven (7) years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

Maryland: Code of Maryland §14-1203 (a) (5) - Reporting of obsolete information prohibited:
(a)Prohibited items of information – Except as authorized under subsection (b) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) Records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

Massachusetts: M.G.L. Chapter 93, Section 52 – Information not to be contained in report; exceptions:
Except as authorized under subsection (b) no consumer reporting agency shall make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) Records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.
M.G.L. Chapter 151B, Section 4 (9) – Unlawful practices
It shall be unlawful practice: (9) For an employer, himself or through his agent, in connection with an application for employment, or the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, or the transfer, promotion, bonding, or di

57 months ago

Massachusetts: M.G.L. Chapter 93, Section 52 – Information not to be contained in report; exceptions:
Except as authorized under subsection (b) no consumer reporting agency shall make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) Records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.
M.G.L. Chapter 151B, Section 4 (9) – Unlawful practices
It shall be unlawful practice: (9) For an employer, himself or through his agent, in connection with an application for employment, or the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, or the transfer, promotion, bonding, or discharge of any person, or in any other matter relating to the employment of any person, to request any information, to make or keep a record of such information, to use any form of application or application blank which requests such information, or to exclude, limit or otherwise discriminate against any person by reason of his or her failure to furnish such information through a written application or oral inquiry or otherwise regarding: (i) an arrest, detention, or disposition regarding any violation of law in which no conviction resulted, or (ii) and arrest, first conviction for any of the following misdemeanors: drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violation, affray, or disturbance of the peace, or (iii) any conviction of a misdemeanor where the date of such conviction or the completion of any period of incarceration resulting there from, whichever date is later, occurred five of more years prior to the date of such application for employment or such request for information, unless such person has been convicted of any offense within five years immediately preceding the date of such application for employment or such re

57 months ago

for employment or such request for information.

Montana: Montana Code Annotated 2005 31-3-112 – Obsolete information:
No consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (5) records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than 7 years; (6) any other adverse item of information which antedates the report by more than 7 years.

Nevada: Nevada Revised Statutes 2005 598C.150 (2) – Purging of information from files of reporting agency; disclosure of purged information. A reporting agency shall periodically purge from its files and after purging shall not disclose: (2) Except as otherwise provided by a specific statute, any other civil judgment, a report of criminal proceedings, or other adverse information which precedes the repot by more than 7 years.

New Hampshire: HRS 359-B:5 - Obsolete Information
I. Except as authorized under paragraph II, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (e) Records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime which from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than 7 years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

57 months ago

New Mexico: New Mexico Statute Chapter 56-3-6 – Report information; limitations:
A credit bureau may report the following matters for no longer than the specified periods: (5) arrests and indictments pending trial, or convictions of crimes for not longer than seven years from date of release or parole. Such items shall no longer be reported if at any time it learned that after a conviction a full pardon has been granted, or after an arrest or indictment a conviction did not result; and (6) any other data not otherwise specified in this section, for not longer than seven years.

New York: New York State Consolidated Laws Article 25 Section 380-j – Prohibited Information:
Prohibited information. (a) No consumer reporting agency shall report or maintain in the file on a consumer, information: (1) relative to an arrest or a criminal charge unless there has been a criminal conviction for such offense, or unless such charges are still pending. (f) (1) Except as authorized under paragraph two of this subdivision, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information. (V) records of conviction of crime which, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years.

Texas: Business & Commerce Code – Chapter 20 § 20.05 – Reporting of information Prohibited. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a consumer reporting agency may not furnish a consumer report containing information related to: (4) a record of arrest, indictment, or conviction of a crime in which the date of disposition, release, or parole predates the consumer report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $75,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

57 months ago

Washington: RCW 19.182.040 – Consumer report – Prohibited information – Exceptions:
Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no consumer reporting agency may make a consumer report containing any of the following items of information: (e) Records of arrest, indictment, or conviction of crime that, from date of disposition, release, or parole, antedate the report by more than seven years. Exception: If the salary of an individual equals or is reasonable expected to equal $20,000 or more, the 7-year restriction does not apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Lifer in Morristown, New Jersey said: There are only 12 states that have a 7 year limit on what can be included on a third party background check, and as posted above, most have salary limits of approximately 20,000 dollars. Meaning if you make more than 20,000 dollars the 7 year limit does not apply.

What this says is, you may work at McDonalds but nothing else. If a company run a background check on its own, they do not have to follow the FCRA and may use what ever they want.

In Texas the salary cap for the 7 year limit is $75,000.00 per year. I think I could live with that.

www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

price7099 in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

why arent there any success stories. i no theres alot of convicts that have good paying jobs and making it common..

57 months ago

There are success stories out there. I am one of them. I have been out 21 yrs and I have a great job, a home, a new car and living comfortably. It didn't come easy and I worked my behind to get where I am today. But yes, there are some of us who have done good, but they are few and far between. We get discouraged because we are turned down over and over again. If you continue to fight for what you know is right and have faith, eventually things will work out. I worked for a company for over 7 yrs, then was laid off when the economy took a nose dive. It was scary to say the least. I went without a job for over 7 months, but I finally landed another one and its as good as the one I had before. I make more money then an average person, heck I make more money then my PO, but its because I have strived to do the right thing. I have a life sentence, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to do the best I can. I'm a single mother and I'm doing just fine. I would love to be able to open up an employment agency that works strictly with felons, teach them basic computer skills, customer service skills and the ability to know how to act during an interview etc. There are alot of tax breaks out there for companies to get if they will take a chance on hiring a felon. I am continuing my networking and spreading the word about the tax breaks and hoping that someone or some company will listen to me and get the backing I need to open up this non-profit. I wish everyone a success story and if you need any advice please respond to my postings and I will help you as much as I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Hey everyone here is a petition I started. Please take a look at it and sign it. We are getting more looks then I thought it would get. The folks in Austin are beginning to ask questions. Hopefully we are on to something here....

www.gopetition.com/online/27417.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sakina in Dayton, Ohio

56 months ago

stallion1824 in Austin, Texas said: My office happened 25 years ago, and now one wanted to give me the chance to prove myself. So, I decided, the hell with everyone, I am going to create my own destiny... I started my own business!! It didn't take much to start, and now I control my own survival in this cruel world.

I like the attitude that we are the makers of our own destiny, but I must disagree that life is cruel. Life is just life, and while we can't always choose what happens to us, we can always choose how we respond to those events. I know several folks who have done just as you have, and left rock bottom to build a life that they love. You and the others here who have made a life for yourselves are an inspiration to all of us to stand up and choose where we want our lives to go. Rock on.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.