You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

When, where and how to travel

Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Washington, District of Columbia

84 months ago

Host said: When, where and how to travel

What is it like to commute from La Jolla or Pacific Beach to UTC during rush hour? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gene in San Diego, California

84 months ago

The commute from either Pacific Beach or La Jolla to UTC is very easy. It will take you no more than 15-20 minutes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Arlington, Virginia

84 months ago

Thanks for the info. I've been living in D.C. for three years now and I've developed a real phobia of long commutes and heinous traffic. San Diego sounds much better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

As far as rush hour goes, taking the 805 north is pretty bad in the mornings as well as the I-5 northbound around Del Mar and beyond. Going south is a breeze in the morning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Oceanside, California

80 months ago

Stewart Bitkoff, Ed.D. in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I just published a book entitled, 'A Commuter's Guide to Enlightenment' which was written to help commuter's with their daily ride to work. It's a fun and practical read- using spiritual exercises like meditation to make the commute work. Available at online venues and bookstores; publisher is Llewellyn Worldwide. Check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in San Diego, California

79 months ago

If you commute from PB to UTC, the worst backup of your drive will be just getting on to I-5 from the turn on Garnet Ave to Mission Bay Drive. It could take over 15 minutes just to get past that half a mile and through the metered onramp to the freeway around eight in the morning. If you live at the beach there are probably at least 10 signals to get through if you take either Grand or Garnet before you even get that far.

79 months ago

Where would you recommend living for a short commute to UTC, that is close to the beach (by bike or jog, for example)?

I'm trying to commute on bike more when I relocate. I have a car, I'm just sick of wasting the time driving and SD weather will be more conducive to a bike commute all year than DC is.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stewart Bitkoff, Ed.D. in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Sorry. Not from the area.

However, my book might help you on your daily car commute. Check it out- 'A Commuter's Guide to Enlightenment.' If interested see online venues or publisher (Llewellyn).

Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I live in UTC and really enjoy it there. If you want to commute to UTC, the only realistic bike options are probably La Jolla and maybe Clairemont. PB is out of the question because there aren't any local roads that go up to UTC. If you live in UTC, La Jolla Shores and Del Mar are all within a 10-15 minute drive. The area is also very bike friendly and has many dedicated bike lanes.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

79 months ago

Wow thanks Gene, great info. I appreciate it. My brother lives in Clairemont and really likes it. I might decide on that area, but it'll all depend on the job I end up getting. Thanks again for the advice.

Chris in Palo Alto, California

73 months ago

Ride a bike. I ride from Pacific Beach to Carmel Valley. It's great.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.