Best companies to work for in Seattle?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Seattle? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

holly in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

In Technology
Microsoft, Expedia, RealNetworks, Amazon, Nintendo are all good companies, that have headquarters in seattle area.
You have Google, Adobe too in seattle (though not headquarters)

- Enjoy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

seattle.guy in Seattle, Washington

52 months ago

Why are the only posts to this thread from areas other than seattle. If your responses were for BIGGEST companies in seattle you would be spot on. Real is horrible to work for. Microsoft is alright, but a lot of bureaucracy there. Some teams, it's a great company others it will suck the life out of you. Chances are if you work for them, you will contract and not blue badge there. Amazon likes to take the approach hire one person for 2.5 people's worth of work, and work you until you finally give up. Yea they fuel growth, because of turnover. Expedia is big, but the pay isn't that great, and nintendo works you similar to amazon. Honestly, work for the small to midsized tech or biotech companies < 150-200 ppl. They have the best perks, and the pay is usually better than the behemoths mentioned in the previous thread.(my company has inhouse massage, mass transit paid for, good healthcare, flex scheduling, top tier pay, almost 30 days off a year, etc.) Look at zillow, daptiv, dendron, isalon systems, (REI and Eddie Bauer are exceptions to the large company issues) thoe are the ones that I know of off the top of my head. There are many many more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GypsyWaking in Denver, Colorado

22 months ago

Hi seattle.guy in Seattle Washington. Thanks for the excellent relevant info. It is really refreshing to see a response based in practicality and experience which is actually applicable and beneficial.

What is your company and are you hiring?

Thanks again for the great info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ReneeAnn.Makeup@gmail.com

21 months ago

I desperatly want to move to Seattle. I am struggling to find a job there... HELP!!!

I am a freelance makeup artist looking for a full time position that can help put my education and life experiences to good use. I have a lot of knowledge in fine arts, fashion design and Makeup Application. I also have skills in many other areas such as writing, problem solving, customer service and sales. I have gained a lot of knowledge and techniques through hands on experience with a number of clients.

I am a very passionate person, and love being able to express myself freely in all/any art forms. I feel like I am a very smart creative person. I love problem solving and coming up with ideas. Going to school for art has taught me to think outside the box, and I tend to think of things that the average person doesn't think of. If I have a task to get done, I will stay up all night until it is perfect and complete. I love dealing with people and creating client relationships. I love putting people's mind at ease and have always put the needs of others before mine. I'm a people pleaser. I'm relatable and bring something different and unique to the table.

I am more than willing to relocate, in fact I prefer it! I am ready for a fresh start in a new place with new opportunities to learn and grow in a career. Please take that into consideration and know that I REALLY REALLY want to relocate to better my future.

Techie in Bellevue, Washington

21 months ago

If you didn't get a positive response in applying to the top hiring companies you should try contracting at those companies first. It gives you a feel for what it is like to work there and valuable experience and knowledge that would make you an easier hire as no ramp up is required and you have time to prove yourself. There is a good list of hiring companies in Seattle and the staffing agencies they use to hire contractors at www.oncontracting.com. It also has tips on how to get contract jobs at Microsoft, Boeing, Expedia, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ReneeAnn.Makeup@gmail.com in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I am ignorant when it comes to this. What is contracting and what do I do? I don't know the first thing about contracting, nor would i know how to go about doing such a thing. Thank you for replying to my post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Techie in Bellevue, Washington

20 months ago

ReneeAnn.Makeup@gmail.com in Brooklyn, New York said: I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I am ignorant when it comes to this. What is contracting and what do I do? I don't know the first thing about contracting, nor would i know how to go about doing such a thing. Thank you for replying to my post.

So most companies hire workers as temporary or contract workers. They hire them through staffing or consulting companies (Volt, Accenture, etc) so the contractors are effectively employees of the staffing company and not of the client. Client companies do this to keep their employee base flexible and sometimes low cost. (its easier to fire a contractor). So you get to work at Amazon or Microsoft but you don't get their benefits or stock options. This is a great way to get into the company though because you get valuable experience and Managers like people that already worked there since they require less training.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.