migrating to seattle

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

liezl in Salisbury, United Kingdom

79 months ago

hello.i am a registerd nurse working here in the UK.my husband and I are both nurses and we're blessed with 5 children.we're considering of migrating to america and we thought of seattle as preferable state to settle and for our children to grow up.just wanting some information or advice perhaps about cost of living,child benefit/allowance(if there's any),best hospital to work which is family friendly.i'll probably start with those few questions first.hopefully if someone is kind enough to help us consider the pros and cons of our initial decision to try seattle it will be grately appreciated.thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pmc in Seattle, Washington

76 months ago

Hello Liezl - I noticed your post is over 2 months old. Are you still planning on transplanting to Seattle?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

liezl in Solihull, United Kingdom

76 months ago

Pmc in Seattle, Washington said: Hello Liezl - I noticed your post is over 2 months old. Are you still planning on transplanting to Seattle?

yes,we are still considering of moving to seattle at some point.and we really appreciate if somebody could give us info to help us make this move a definite one.we've also got north carolina as another option though,but we would like to limit our options more with seattle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rosalie in Newcastle, Washington

76 months ago

Hi Liz,
I'm a pharmacist who moved to Seattle about a year ago and I've worked for a couple hospitals around here and also know about some of the other ones. Nurses are in high demand over here so I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a job. Typical pay, based on experience and assuming you're an RN, is about $50-70K/year. With 5 children, the child allowance you'll get is a tax cut, but I don't believe there is any other ones. As far as Seattle, traffic is bad, but there's public transportation, not as good as ones in England (I'm assuming London). If you want a decent place in Seattle, it's quite expensive, and few. There are very few good public schools in Seattle itself. However, surrounding cities of Seattle are very nice (personally, I'd prefer them over Seattle and would never move my kids inside of Seattle). Nice places with good school districts are Newcastle, Issaquah, Upper Renton, Bellevue. These are all within commuting distances to Seattle. North of Seattle, you have Bothel, Milcreek, Shoreline, and Lynnwood.
As far as hospitals, I heard from friends that Children's Hospital in Seattle is nice, Overlake in Bellevue is nice, Swedish is nice, Harborview is big (you'd get benefits as a government employee), but not as good pay, don't go to Virginia Mason (poorly run and has bad service overall), University of Washington Medical Centers (similar to Harborview as far as pros and cons). There's also Valley Medical Center in Renton if you prefer to go south. In general, if you plan to drive and not live in the heart of Seattle, it would be best if you go away from Seattle in the morning. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, you could email me at ntkm79@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

liezl in Salisbury, United Kingdom

76 months ago

Rosalie in Newcastle, Washington said: Hi Liz,
I'm a pharmacist who moved to Seattle about a year ago and I've worked for a couple hospitals around here and also know about some of the other ones. Nurses are in high demand over here so I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a job. Typical pay, based on experience and assuming you're an RN, is about $50-70K/year. With 5 children, the child allowance you'll get is a tax cut, but I don't believe there is any other ones. As far as Seattle, traffic is bad, but there's public transportation, not as good as ones in England (I'm assuming London). If you want a decent place in Seattle, it's quite expensive, and few. There are very few good public schools in Seattle itself. However, surrounding cities of Seattle are very nice (personally, I'd prefer them over Seattle and would never move my kids inside of Seattle). Nice places with good school districts are Newcastle, Issaquah, Upper Renton, Bellevue. These are all within commuting distances to Seattle. North of Seattle, you have Bothel, Milcreek, Shoreline, and Lynnwood.
As far as hospitals, I heard from friends that Children's Hospital in Seattle is nice, Overlake in Bellevue is nice, Swedish is nice, Harborview is big (you'd get benefits as a government employee), but not as good pay, don't go to Virginia Mason (poorly run and has bad service overall), University of Washington Medical Centers (similar to Harborview as far as pros and cons). There's also Valley Medical Center in Renton if you prefer to go south. In general, if you plan to drive and not live in the heart of Seattle, it would be best if you go away from Seattle in the morning. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, you could email me at ntkm79@yahoo.com

thanks rosalie.that was really helpful.in terms of weather,how is seattle?here in salisbury,we can get good summer from june to august(20-23 C)and the rest of the year is on and off rain and then the winter.

Rosalie in Newcastle, Washington

76 months ago

HI Liz,
Weather here is Seattle is quite nice if you're already used to the rain. Pretty mild weather. Not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. Summer, I'd say it goes up to 90F max? Usually around 70-85 or so in mid summer. Winter doesn't get too cold either. Usually around 40-50F. A few days of snow here and there...maybe total of 5-7 days of snow out of the whole year? Then mostly rain in the winter, and also in the spring...I'd say the weather is pretty nice from May to the end of Sept...But we're also surrounded by the ocean, lakes, and many other bodies of water. So water sports/parks/activities are plenty...also, we have many mountains to enjoy skiing in the winter and hiking in the summer....If you like big and busy cities, then the heart of Seattle is filled with activities....but if you prefer to have more family time and for the kids, then the outside cities I mentioned earlier is better for them....Those cities are within reasonable commute distance to Seattle (20-30min to down town Seattle, usually). Oh, I forgot, Redmond to the East of Seattle is also affordable, but commuting to Seattle may be a bit more (not much more) difficult since the bridge (520) only has a couple lanes. Kirkland is nice, but quite expensive.

Linda in Renton, Washington

72 months ago

New nursing agency in Seattle area...seeking nurses and other healthcare workers...Call (206) 248-6381...Top pay for top skills

pjvaldez@gmail.com in Kent, Washington

62 months ago

Howdy Liez,

I'm not to familiar with the medical field, but I am Captain Puget Sound. Got this place down like the back of my hand. Everyone is correct about the weather here. Nice but wet. We have alot of rain but in terminology of quality, or rain is dinky compared to the world. Our droplets are like little pitter patters rather than giant puddles. Plus, if you look geographically we are covered by Mountains, Olypmic Mt.s to our west and the cascades to our North. We are nested in between wilderness and the water. Amazing scenery and in my opinion the best balance of metropolis and wilderness. As for your children, WA is ranked one of the best in education for grade school. I must admit, cost of living is pretty high, or Mid-high, if that is a grading scale. In my opinion, $10.00 is the average for basic cost of living (in southern U.S. cost of living is on the low 20K for a basic living lifestyle). This is a very liberal state, if you have European ideals, you'll fit in here. Our government is ok when it comes to healthcare, still needs work. But the public health care does work IF, your an adolescent or you have low income.

Seattle is great, and I wish you the best of luck coming here. Welcome to the hood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ash Singh in Nadi, Fiji

60 months ago

hi

i have got US diversity visda and planning to come to us by july 09.Would appreciate if anyone could provide some details in seattle.
as i have a few frens i thought of coming to seattle.

can someone tell me what would a apartment cost.
what are some of the neighbourds where it would be ok to live.
as it is i am considering cost saving initially to settle.

also what the tranportation is like there with public facilities.

any help would be appreciated.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.