Weather in Seattle

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

What are the seasons like in Seattle? How do Seattle dwellers cope?

Reply - Report abuse

danielle in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

Seasons? We have two: 1. the dominant one, which is characterized by an impermeable leaky gray cloud hovering over the horizon; 2. the second, which is really only a short reprieve from the first, typically lasts from July to August. Everyone will say the shortness of our summers just makes them enjoy them evene more, but they're obviously full of crap.

I cope by stalking out dry indoor places like gyms and libraries. But I also know those for whom a steady stream of alcohol infused directly into the bloodstream by IV from the months of September to June is an effective alternative. Of course, you'll entirely miss summer as you recover from the worst hangover of your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Mercer Island, Washington

71 months ago

danielle in Seattle, Washington said: Seasons? We have two: 1. the dominant one, which is characterized by an impermeable leaky gray cloud hovering over the horizon; 2. the second, which is really only a short reprieve from the first, typically lasts from July to August. Everyone will say the shortness of our summers just makes them enjoy them evene more, but they're obviously full of crap.

I cope by stalking out dry indoor places like gyms and libraries. But I also know those for whom a steady stream of alcohol infused directly into the bloodstream by IV from the months of September to June is an effective alternative. Of course, you'll entirely miss summer as you recover from the worst hangover of your life.

The weather is NOT predictable. If you want winter, drive east and go up til you get to snow. It will take you longer in summer. Deal with the rain like everyone else: buy a good rain hat, buy a lot of lights, go outside and ignore it. Coffee helps and so does visiting sunshine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Lynnwood, Washington

69 months ago

Come on, Seattle weather is 100% predictable. Summer starts on the 5th of July. It will be a nice day. The 4th is a flip of a coin.

Winter creeps in on us by October 31, otherwise kids would not have to wear raincoats on Halloween. And we would not want to rake dry leaves from our yards. And it rains pretty steady until July 5th. The months of February and May are pretty nice, December and January are the most dreary.

On the Winter Solstice we get about 8 hours of sun. If you don't have a window seat, you miss out. But on the summer solstice, we get 16 hours of sun. Nice summer twilight, it can be light after 9 pm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Fargo, North Dakota

67 months ago

I live in Fargo, ND and it is depressing, boring, and there is nothing to do, its crazy how Fargo is so close to the beautiful state of Minnesota and yet is so different. Anyways, I am searching for a place to live and I am wondering if Seattle, WA is a good place? Can someone tell me if it is rainy and depressing like Portlant or is it any better? Sunnier? Is it a nice place to live?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

Seattle is pretty, but if you don't like rain don't move here. Traffic is horrendous, it has gotten worse in the last few years. The people are rude and I swear don't know how to drive! All we need is more people moving in here, it is already crowded enough with a bunch of idiots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Sacramento, California

65 months ago

I love the seasons in Seattle. I think Summer fell on a Friday last year... =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Federal Way, Washington

65 months ago

I live used to live in Seatac right between Seattle and Tacoma. I live in Federal Way, Tacoma now. The weather here now is misty/foggy, or some days it will be rainy, windy, or just cloudy. It's Decemeber.. so that's how it is. It might as well snow later this month.

So my answer is..

Basically everything besides summer is either rain,cloudy, fall, foggy or misty, or snow in the last month. Washington is basically like the "Real Seasons" you get what you get.

New year- brings cold,

Spring- brings flowers, rain and cold with a bit of sunny days.

Summer- brings the perfect weather everyone wants, beautiful green everywhere with so many colors.

Fall- Brings rain, wind, leaves falling.

Winter- Can bring little snow, or a lot.

Washington is basically the state that shows all the seasons, the trees, and nice surroundings.

It doesn't bring heat all the time, or tropical stroms. It also doesn't bring cold all the time either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

And it did not rain on holloween!!!!!! I went out walking to a store near my house. You never know when it's going to be partly sunny or cloudy. I was saying the basics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

By the way Oregon is really depressing! My mom's side of the family lives there. I would say washington is more alive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Seattle, Washington

62 months ago

Host said: What are the seasons like in Seattle? How do Seattle dwellers cope?

Don't come here if you're already worried about the weather!!!! We have enough people here who moan and groan everytime it rains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Woods Enterprises in Everett, Washington

62 months ago

any good job opportunities in Arizona?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Flatulent Elephant in Kent, Washington

44 months ago

Seattle has 2 seasons:

October-June = Cold, dark, wet.

July-Sept. = Sunny, sort of warm, mostly dry.

Traffic sucks year-round, & coffee doesn't help.

A lot of the people around here are flaky, but maybe that's what it's like everywhere, I don't know.

Oh, & the job market sucks.

Lastly, yes I am trying to move away from here!! ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Not what you think in Seattle, Washington

37 months ago

I grew up in California and spent my summers in Seattle (yes we have summers). Our summers are quite lovely. the weather here is often mild. From October to March it is very cloudy (most days are 40s to 50s and partly cloudy). There is a bit of rain through those months, but it is not a constant downpour of misery. I "cope" with the rain by going to work, going out with friends, riding bikes to various neighborhoods and living my life. Weather is not something that should ruin your day. If it is, then move to the southwest.

Our springs are very temperamental. This starts in mid march. A day can start off in the mid 50s and sunny (shorts weather!) and a downpour of hail and rain in the afternoon. You never know what to expect on a spring day, but in the last few weeks I have been quite happy with the amount of sunshine we have been getting every other day or so. Spring gets very beautiful here because there are quite a few cherry trees planted around Seattle neighborhoods. It's nice to see the pink blossoms even on a rainy day.

Summers are what keep me here. Its mild temperatures here, so summer days are in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The rare days it gets higher than mid 80s everyone here is dying. No one really has Air-conditioning and the parks and pools get rather crowded on a truly "hot" day. Seattlites wear shorts in the mid 50s and 60s. So an outsider's view of "summer" is not the same. The sun is out almost every day of summer (even if it starts late) and we go to the beach (either at the lakes nearby or the Puget Sound) almost everyday.

Being honest, there are a lot of humbugs that live around here that pout about the rain. What those people don't realize is that they live next to two beautiful mountain ranges and an amazing temperate rain forest. There is a lot of beautiful and amazing nature around seattle and if you move here you will see what I mean.

live in the city though, traffic does suck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.