Relocate to Tampa, Florida

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

European FA in Southern CA

22 months ago

I currently live in Southern California and I want to Relocate to Tampa, Florida very soon.

My questions are as follows...
1) How are the prices of a nice Modern Apts?
2) How is the Career Market?
3) Are people Friendly and Nice meaning is it easy to meet &
make Friends?
4) How is the community / City Activities?
5) I am single white female in my mid 40's and I like simple
social gatherings outside of bars. meaning getting
together for a cook out, movies, going to the park,
sitting by the pool and chatting and sharing thoughts and
laughs.

Please I hope to get GREAT responses very soon. I hope to meet some encouraging, Motivational people through this discussion forum. I hope to make new friends through this discussion forum...please feel free to include your email if you like to chat through email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

22 months ago

1) Apts? (Apartment Guide, NW Tampa, Lake Carlton Arms, Lutz)
2) How is the Career Market? Depend, what's your job?
3) People are friendly (one benefit of Tampa)
4) How is the community / City Activities? (smaller city, most activities are job/career related.
laughs.

As much as I hate the heat, Tampa IS a nice place to live.
Traffic is a breeze. Bus routes are decent. Don't forget alligators, cool breezes, intense heat, sweat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: 1) Apts? ( Apartment Guide, NW Tampa, Lake Carlton Arms, Lutz)
2) How is the Career Market? Depend, what's your job?
3) People are friendly (one benefit of Tampa)
4) How is the community / City Activities? (smaller city, most activities are job/career related.
laughs.

As much as I hate the heat, Tampa IS a nice place to live.
Traffic is a breeze. Bus routes are decent. Don't forget alligators, cool breezes, intense heat, sweat.

Mary Thank You.
Alligators in Tampa as well..are you serious???
How about other kinds of bugs..roaches, spiders??
I have lived in Atlanta and there are roaches there big ones.
Is Tampa very small city in comparing to Atlanta??
FYI...Southern CA is nice but the people are NOT friendly at all...very selfish...boaring living life styles very lonely living life styles....too expensive for the long run to settle down and be alone...boring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Mary,
are you originally from Tampa meaning born and raised?
OR did you move there from another state?

I hate moving again but I think it will be the best for me to get back to the EAST coast since I never settled down here for the past couple yrs since I moved here from ATL I've been staying between places and tired of it. I want my indpendantcy and my own roof over my head again.

The one bedroon and one bath apts here old style with simple white appliances are going around $1300 to $1600 per month.
BTW $1300 is college student community and NOT gated community however the do have nice gym and some amminities.

I like ATL but I don't think its good idea to move back since it has changed alot. Also someone told me "you should never move back to a place where you originally left especially if you had bad memories toward the end before moving out of there"

Its been tough on me because I am ready to get on my feet again and be independant and established again. Things did NOT go well for me since I moved to CA and I feel very I had made the wrong decision and now I need to end it and move out before the end of the year.

I hope you don't mind me sharing my thougts with you.
Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

One of my friends in Tampa (moved here from born in Chicago - moved here as 25), moved to California - twice. It was too expensive for her. He now lives in Houston. I grew up in Flint. DO NOT MOVE anywhere hear USF. It is low class and dumpy. I live in Citrus Park (NW Tampa). A lot of people love being near Westshore. You are in your 40's. I don't care for it, but you could buy a house in Spring Hill for $30,000. If you're not sure about being here, move in to someone else's house for four months, and get a feel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: One of my friends in Tampa (moved here from born in Chicago - moved here as 25), moved to California - twice. It was too expensive for her. He now lives in Houston. I grew up in Flint. DO NOT MOVE anywhere hear USF. It is low class and dumpy. I live in Citrus Park (NW Tampa). A lot of people love being near Westshore. You are in your 40's. I don't care for it, but you could buy a house in Spring Hill for $30,000. If you're not sure about being here, move in to someone else's house for four months, and get a feel.

Mary, I am a little confused with your post.
So you had a FEMALE friend who moved to CA twice and now she lives in Houston.
you said DO NOT MOVE anywhere hear USF...I thought you liked Tampa.

Are you also in your 40's?? if you don'e mind me asking.
Is Wstshore also NW tampa?

I am so Thankful to you...I mean it sincerely..Things have been tough and vey stressful...you are helping someone now who really needs it and appreciates it...God Bless you!

22 months ago

She was born and raised in Chicago. Then moved to California. Then moved to Florida. Then moved back to California. Then moved to Texas.

Do not move near the University of South Florida. It is referred to suitcase city for a reason. Northwest Tampa, Lutz, or South Tampa are good. Google Tampa and look on the map. The people in Tampa are nice, very friendly. If you want to move here temp and see how it goes, move in with someone else.

Yes, Tampa is in the South. Any lake or pond (even small ponds) have gators. We have roaches, spiders and ants. Rule for Tampa, don't get in any water unless it's a pool and you can see what's in it.

I am 55. Do you have a job lined up, a career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I have been in Tampa since 1981. I have very little tolerance for the heat. I burn extremely easy. It rains all summer here (has to for the heat). It does cool down to 80 at night. You don't need heat in house for our winter. Winter is about 50 in the day. No snow. Hurricains are really not a problem.

Tourism is what keeps Florida alive. You need a job lined up, or a career, or something to make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

The main roads in Tampa are 275 and Dale Mabry, both going south and north. There are many many cross roads for east west. Tampa is about 1/2 the size of Atlanta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Mary,
I am so READY to settle down and have my own Apt again..So I don't think I have time to move there temp. Also No job lined up since I am focused on getting to move and settle down and get a local address and have all my clothes out of storage...then I will feel better and I can start looking for a job...I will have to ue public transportation since now I don't have a car.

How about the beach??

I have loked on google but I wan't able to find much info and also most the images on there are old..I really don't trust much f internet search..just like CA they got nice pictures on google but when you live in it its all very old.....its so different when you go somewhere to vacation or visit vs living in it.

Thank You so much.

Dan-Tampa-Realtor in Land O Lakes, Florida

22 months ago

Keep checking on indeed.com but also check snagajob.com for openings. I echo what Mary has said, but add in Carrollwood and the 33647 zip code. There are probably some roommate finder websites as well that may help with having a place and being able to split the costs. Be careful looking for roommates off craigslist or anything like that.

Paula in Lake City, Florida

15 months ago

I want to move to Tampa area too. St Pete, Tampa, Clearwater... I'm living in Lake City, north fl. Relocated and took a job here after being let go in 2009 due to budget cuts at my workplace. My job is ok... It's ok here, but not really suited to me. I lived in W. Palm Bch for a few yrs before I came here. I wouldn't mind going back there, but I don't think there are any jobs there... I would like to find work in Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area. BTW, I have family down there... My brother moved there over a yr ago and it would be nice to live near family. If anyone knows of opportunity in the Mental Health field in Tampa, I'd love to know. I have sent my resume as well as an online application to Northside Mental Health in Tampa at least 3 times ... So far no luck.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: One of my friends in Tampa (moved here from born in Chicago - moved here as 25), moved to California - twice. It was too expensive for her. He now lives in Houston. I grew up in Flint. DO NOT MOVE anywhere hear USF. It is low class and dumpy. I live in Citrus Park (NW Tampa). A lot of people love being near Westshore. You are in your 40's. I don't care for it, but you could buy a house in Spring Hill for $30,000. If you're not sure about being here, move in to someone else's house for four months, and get a feel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Tampa, Florida

14 months ago

I live in Tampa and looking to make new friends. I am 43 years old married, but my husband is deployed in Afghanistan for a year. I have 3 children 25 yr old girl who does not live here, 14 year old son, 5 year old daughter. It is difficult to make friends at my age with small children and no babysitter. I am looking for the same things you are no bar, but I love to enjoy the outdoors and always have at least my 5 year old with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

How is the Job Market in Tampa Orlando in Chula Vista, California

14 months ago

Hi,

I wanted to know if the European FA in Southern CA ever end up moving to Tampa just wanted to know how is it going? I'm want to move to TAMPA OR ORLANDO in a good area. I live in San Diego CA I'm from Central America. I wanted to know how is the job market in Tampa or do you recommend other areas Panama City or Orlando? I'm currently receiving unemployment from CA and was wondering if I would be able to use it in Florida to get a small apartment. Thanks

European FA in Southern CA said: Mary,
I am so READY to settle down and have my own Apt again..So I don't think I have time to move there temp. Also No job lined up since I am focused on getting to move and settle down and get a local address and have all my clothes out of storage...then I will feel better and I can start looking for a job...I will have to ue public transportation since now I don't have a car.

How about the beach??

I have loked on google but I wan't able to find much info and also most the images on there are old..I really don't trust much f internet search..just like CA they got nice pictures on google but when you live in it its all very old.....its so different when you go somewhere to vacation or visit vs living in it.

Thank You so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabby in Carlsbad, New Mexico

13 months ago

European FA in Southern CA said: I currently live in Southern California and I want to Relocate to Tampa, Florida very soon.

My questions are as follows...
1) How are the prices of a nice Modern Apts?
2) How is the Career Market?
3) Are people Friendly and Nice meaning is it easy to meet &
make Friends?
4) How is the community / City Activities?
laughs.

Please I hope to get GREAT responses very soon. I hope to meet some encouraging, Motivational people through this discussion forum. I hope to make new friends through this discussion forum...please feel free to include your email if you like to chat through email.

Hello! I love Tampa! and I'm sure you will too. I recently moved to New Mexico because my Dad got relocated for a job here. It is completely different than Florida. I've notice a lot of people here are rude! Must me a west coast thing. I was so used to people being happy and friendly. I think a good location for you would be South Tampa! Plenty of locations to meet new people. Although rent is a bit more pricey compared to other areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ndidi Nwosu in St.louis, Missouri

7 months ago

I live in MO but would like to relocate to orlando. What is the job situation like down there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Springfield, Missouri

3 months ago

I too would love to move to the Tampa area, but am in need in a responsible roommate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Star 1961 in Hollywood, Florida

1 month ago

Staying with a friend in Wilmington. Want to move back to Florida. Have lived on the East Cost of Florida for thirty something years. Want to move to he West Cost of Florida after hearing so many good things and knowing the gorgeous beaches. The question is jobs. Like they say you have to move where the money is. I was directed to Tampa. Any thoughts on this...I was hoping to secure a job there, once established then possibly move to St Pete or Clearwater. I am open to any other parts of the West Coast of Florida providing there are jobs...Please help! Thank you so very much.
Still loving Florida after all these years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.