Job search in Washington?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

What are the best local job boards, job clubs, recruiters and temp agencies available in Washington?

Reply - Report abuse

KAMAL MUKHTAR in Washington, District of Columbia

78 months ago

Software developer with a history of successful project completions desires a position in an IT environment to develop, customize, maintain, or support applications requiring Oracle8i / 9i, HTML, DHTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic, C, Pascal, Access, Dbase,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Conrad Gaither in Lanham, Maryland

75 months ago

Im looking for work as a welder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

serge in Rosemead, California

75 months ago

try

www.cbcjobs.com - best job search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phileshia in Manassas, Virginia

72 months ago

I am skilled mortgage Loss Mitigator seeking employment asap.
phileshia40@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dds

72 months ago

It totally depends on your field. Try:

Washingtonpost.com
careerbuilders.com
asaenet.org (associations)
hotjobs.com

What fiedl?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yohannese in Hyattsville, Maryland

70 months ago

i am looking a job Avionics maitenance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

linda cash in Washington, District of Columbia

69 months ago

need help in housrkeeping jobs in wash.dc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Rockville, Maryland

69 months ago

I am an experienced nonprofit/association program coordinator, executive assistant. I'm having a challenging job hunt. I'd love to know how other people are finding it out there right now. Oh, I'm over 40-
Are you finding employers to be... sort of rude- panel interviews then no follow up, etc.
Suggestions for how to stand out and be THE ONE they want to hire out of a lot of applicants. I'm finding I am qualified but do not land the job- and I really need a job.
Anybody else "downsized". I'm sort of by myself in UE land and would like to know other folks' experience right now.
Thank you.
DS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Host said: What are the best local job boards, job clubs, recruiters and temp agencies available in Washington?

Careerbuilder.com has the most users and the most jobs, so you'll probably have the most luck there. Oh, and all job boards are "local" since jobs are listed in exact cities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pedro mosqueira in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

68 months ago

I'm a brazilian undergraduate student searching for a seasonal job in D.C, I'm in a Work Experience Program allowing me to work between December and March in USA.

I'm interested in positions like Cashier, Housekeeper, Food Server, Bellman,Barista, and others.

Please contact me if you have a job, I'm acepting anything...

pedro56br2@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimthejournalist in Washington, District of Columbia

67 months ago

dds in Rockville, Maryland said: I am an experienced nonprofit/association program coordinator, executive assistant. I'm having a challenging job hunt. I'd love to know how other people are finding it out there right now. Oh, I'm over 40-
Are you finding employers to be... sort of rude- panel interviews then no follow up, etc.
DS.

I thought you'd like to know-- this seems to be the norm at DC nonprofits! Interview by firing squad, "we'll call you," and a downright unprofessional lack of contact. The best way to get a job in DC appears to be... well... nepotism, honestly. "It's who you know" is a tired phrase, but it's the truth in DC.

Other than that, maximize your "I immunized babies in Africa"-type internships. The nonprofits eat that up; unfortunately, those of us from middle-class backgrounds with mountains of student debt can't afford to spend six months working for free. However, the DC nonprofts seem to actually encourage such starry-eyed optimism (perhaps because it's easier to get such optimists to work for low salaries?). I've been most successful when highlighting volunteer experiences and the "personal touch" over concrete achievements (which seems counterintuitive...).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds

67 months ago

Thank you for your post. I was wondering if I'm getting specially rotten treatment. I have an offer to work on a grant- admin. work- much less $ and GRANT funded so after 18 mos they could boot me out. Then I would be REALLY aged.. the idea of being out in the cold again makes me shake.. but I have had no other offer- so they would get a big huge bargain- all my experience- cheap and for a temp job essentially. I've had jobs that came close enough to ask for my references and/or ask if it's ok to call? I just do not now what happends- my refs are good- one last week never called. the HR person told me (miracle!) that they hired someone who had worked there before. Whatever the reason (internal candidate, bla blah) it's something! I guess I have to do the humiliating front desk thing- it seems like it would be less humiliating if it were a true temp job- but this is "semi-temp" and in this economy who knows if a refunding will come through. I am having a tantrum, sorry! I'm lucky to have anything- but this does not bode well for my future or "older years" which are here in about 5 minutes.
Thanks again for your response. I'm WAY past internships- so I think some of it is the age thing- but can't prove that- I just have to keep going. It got overwhelming that I had been rejected rounding by two dozen people who had interviewed me in two months. THAT'S A LOT OF REJECTION!!! and then of course I was first "eliminated" so I'm feeling a little low about myself.
Thanks again.
DDS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds

67 months ago

kimthejournalist in Washington, District of Columbia said: I thought you'd like to know-- this seems to be the norm at DC nonprofits! Interview by firing squad, "we'll call you," and a downright unprofessional lack of contact. The best way to get a job in DC appears to be... well... nepotism, honestly. "It's who you know" is a tired phrase, but it's the truth in DC.

Other than that, maximize your "I immunized babies in Africa"-type internships. The nonprofits eat that up; unfortunately, those of us from middle-class backgrounds with mountains of student debt can't afford to spend six months working for free. However, the DC nonprofts seem to actually encourage such starry-eyed optimism (perhaps because it's easier to get such optimists to work for low salaries?). I've been most successful when highlighting volunteer experiences and the "personal touch" over concrete achievements (which seems counterintuitive...).

I am also no longer "starry eyed". There are mean people and good people at both corporations and nonprofits. Period. the trick is to find out before ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GJ in Laurel, Maryland

63 months ago

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to transition out of retail work into the office 9 to 5. I have my AABA and working on my BBA (Both with a concerntration human resource). Need a job Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Rockville, Maryland

63 months ago

Depends what you want- there are things that people in retail get into- like recruiting/headhunting for an agency- you could sell you customer service skills ANYWHERE- it will be a boost for you.
Trade associations like customer service because they serve members.
Here is what I would suggest: take a couple of computer skills. can't do much in an office without Microsoft office skills- word, excell, powerpoint. if you can- make some informational interviews in places you are thinking might be good to work. call and express interst- but do not say- and do not ask for- a job.
VOLUNTEER- you can get skills, make contacts and put stuff on your resume that you can use as experience- I have done that.
You can do this!
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Rockville, Maryland

63 months ago

I have a new job! Have zillions of rejections- I got one and my bosses are wonderful and its near home and it pays great.
The work- we will see.
I had some miserable times and it finally came to a happy ending.
If I can do it- and I'm pretty darn old! (56) anybody can. Just keep the faith! I have to say it was hard.
DDS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Rockville, Maryland

63 months ago

dds said: I am also no longer "starry eyed". There are mean people and good people at both corporations and nonprofits. Period. the trick is to find out before ...

Yes- but always take what you want or need- get skils, get references, get experience- and get satisfaction.
NOnprofits are not a panacea- no place is really.
I have been there... good and bad people everywhere. when you find a creep- RUN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Rockville, Maryland

63 months ago

pedro mosqueira in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil said: I'm a brazilian undergraduate student searching for a seasonal job in D.C, I'm in a Work Experience Program allowing me to work between December and March in USA.

I'm interested in positions like Cashier, Housekeeper, Food Server, Bellman,Barista, and others.

Please contact me if you have a job, I'm acepting anything...

pedro56br2@hotmail.com

be careful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carolynw8 in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

62 months ago

I have been really depressed from not being able to find employment. I have been unemployed since January 08. I was wrongfully terminated because of retaliation back in January 08. EEOC along with my attorney is working on my behalf to clear my name. The person who terminated me, the company made her resign, but that does not do me any good, I am still struggling, where as she can get another job no problem. I was a team leader in the Medical Field and I specialize in Administrative Support roles. I have been on several interviews but to no avail. Even was eligible for government jobs but no calls. This is really taken a toll on my life, I belive in God and I stand on faith, but sometimes it gets hard when nothing is coming in. Can anyone direct me to an agency that is not so biased on what they see but what I can bring to their company. Please let me know. Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

notafanofscience in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

Five years ago, 5 days before i was to turn 50, i was laid off by my employer of 5 years (the National Academy of Sciences) an honorific science association and quasi-government entity. They are described as "advisors to the nation". Since then alot of bad things happened to me, first my son had to leave the school he was attending since we could no longer afford it, second we lost our house, third, the small retail business i started because i was too emotionally drained to begin a job search was hit by the economic downturn and i closed it after 5 years on dec 31 2009. You guessed it, i am now 55 and still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dds35day in Rockville, Maryland

53 months ago

I wanted to tell you that I went to a WONDErFUL career counselor- at a nonsectarian nonprofit agency in rockville. Sliding scale. Her name is Wendy Morris.JSSA-Rockville, Fallsgrove ...- Rockville, Fallsgrove Rockville, Montrose Road Phone. this person saved my life- in just a couple visits, we problem solved about what I was doing wrong- was getting interviews- no offers at all. so I got a job soon after. I hope you will consider calling her-
she's great- really looks at specific obstacles and helps solve.
Best,
Dayna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dds35day in Rockville, Maryland

53 months ago

Does NAS Lay off a lot of folks often ? I was thinking of applying...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

notafanofscience in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

Thanks for the tip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

notafanofscience in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

dds35day in Rockville, Maryland said: Does NAS Lay off a lot of folks often ? I was thinking of applying...

If your project runs out of money, they feel no obligation to help you transition into another project. It is a real dog eat dog environment or better said, scientist eat scientist environment, and if you do not hold a PhD, you have virtually no status in the organization. It is a very interesting place to work, since you get to meet and interact with top leaders in science, government, and industry. I would not recommend it as a good employer however.
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

notafanofscience in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

Do you happen to know how to reach the career counselor who you are recommending. I did a google search, but did not get anything conclusive. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dds35day in Rockville, Maryland

52 months ago

JSSA Main - Rockville, MD Fallsgrove Career Counseling
The person's name is Wendy Morris- she really helped me turn it around. THey will not let me put a phone number here but if you go to this link, it is under the Fallsgrove office - phone number is given.

Would you mind if I ask you your impression of NAS?> do they lay off a lot of people? morale?

good luck to you. Keep faith!
Dayna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dds35day in Rockville, Maryland

52 months ago

thank you so much. Call Wendy MOrris at the JSSA Fallsgrove office in Rockville. I promise you will like her! I would love to know if you do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Eduart cekoja in Manchester Center, Vermont

47 months ago

hej i hop to finda job in washington DC this days
if any one knows a bout a job please tell me hir its my mail
eduartcekoja@gmail.com
thnx. take care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dotsewick@yahoo.com in Washington, District of Columbia

38 months ago

dds in Rockville, Maryland said: I am an experienced nonprofit/association program coordinator, executive assistant. I'm having a challenging job hunt. I'd love to know how other people are finding it out there right now. Oh, I'm over 40-
Are you finding employers to be... sort of rude- panel interviews then no follow up, etc.
Suggestions for how to stand out and be THE ONE they want to hire out of a lot of applicants. I'm finding I am qualified but do not land the job- and I really need a job.
Anybody else "downsized". I'm sort of by myself in UE land and would like to know other folks' experience right now.
Thank you.
DS.

I am a veteran nurse in Silver, Spring MD...I am having the same difficulty. There are other older nurses with the same issues getting unemployment...it's scarey to say the least. I have actually started applying to other states and will go out of state to work. You may want to consider a move it's expensive here. you can e-mail me....TITHE! Donna.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HRProfessionalInterviewer in Elkridge, Maryland

38 months ago

Host said: What are the best local job boards, job clubs, recruiters and temp agencies available in Washington?

in this area, people are so successful with Craigslist.com and Indeed.com, I know people like careerbuilder.com, but I personally never heard back from any of my resume posts. employers also love to hide behind employment agencies so list yourself with them also. Mainly in this area it's WHO YOU KNOW so network, network, network. I know first hand it's pride swallowing to tell people you are out of work, but we all have been there, you will find similiar stories, and never know where a job offer will materialize from -so always have a resume in the car :) I have also been successful by calling companies i wanted to work for or looking at their websites, some jobs are never posted. and at the end of the day the recruiter just picks whoever they want to work with, it really isnt your resume, everyone can be trained. so keep positive and likeable - Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HRProfessionalInterviewer in Elkridge, Maryland

38 months ago

carolynw8 in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: I have been really depressed from not being able to find employment. I have been unemployed since January 08. I was wrongfully terminated because of retaliation back in January 08. EEOC along with my attorney is working on my behalf to clear my name. The person who terminated me, the company made her resign, but that does not do me any good, I am still struggling, where as she can get another job no problem. I was a team leader in the Medical Field and I specialize in Administrative Support roles. I have been on several interviews but to no avail. Even was eligible for government jobs but no calls. This is really taken a toll on my life, I belive in God and I stand on faith, but sometimes it gets hard when nothing is coming in. Can anyone direct me to an agency that is not so biased on what they see but what I can bring to their company. Please let me know. Thank You.

switch job markets, or get a job thru friends who know you as a person. I know people who just had to get a student loan to become career trained so it didnt matter where they had been and what they had done, they let the school recruiter find them employment solely based on their new training (ie med assistant, pharm tech, esthetician, etc). people want to work with people they click with so keep looking and keep positive and likable :)
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DDS in Rockville, Maryland

38 months ago

I was unemployed. It is always darkest before the light- just never ever give up.
Try temping. it will give you a way to get in the door, and keep your skills up.

Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DDS in Rockville, Maryland

38 months ago

notafanofscience in Washington, District of Columbia said: Do you happen to know how to reach the career counselor who you are recommending. I did a google search, but did not get anything conclusive. Thanks

Call Jewish Social Services in Rockville and ask for Wendy Morris phone number.
They will help you. Google JSSA in Rockville MD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.