Weather in Washington

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What are the seasons like in Washington? How do Washington dwellers cope?

Reply - Report abuse

Weather... in Washington, District of Columbia

45 months ago

When it's hot, from April - October, it's usually 90+. When it's cold, from October - April, it's quite often 30-. And god, when it rains, it pours so hard in these incredible sheets, with huge wind gusts and zero visibility - it's just scary. Things flood, you can barely walk through it, and you'll be soaked through even with an umbrella and a raincoat. It storms more often than anywhere I've lived before, too, with regular storms through most of March-April, and August-October, with maybe biweekly rainstorms in the summer and then usually a couple blizzards in the winter, too.

If you look up the DC weather on Wikipedia, I believe they categorize it as "sub-tropical" and "severe." It's the only place I've been with incredibly hot, muggy summers AND a good three months worth of snow too. Most places are one or the other, but not here...

PS - I'm from the midwest, so we had thunderstorms a few times during a summer, ice storms, and big winter weather. I don't mind the cold, but a hot summer was be one with a week of 90+ weather. Last summer, DC had 68 days of 90+weather, and we've already had a blizzard this winter, that fortunately melted with 40 degree temps, because no one in the city ever shovels the sidewalks. DC is killing me. I really can't wait to move...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.