Career Advice

what do you want to do, where do you want to go?

Current Discussions (7583) - Start a Discussion

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California

Updated 24 days ago

Find a Job by Joining Social Groups? - 8 Replies

I sometimes read that just about the only way to get a job these days is to 'know someone'. I have very few local contacts, so maybe that's why I...

xcitd2fly in Costa Mesa, California

Updated 24 days ago

hopefuls and new hire tips - 1 Reply

I am in the hiring process for csr at lax, pending bg clearance and fingerprinting (they are flying me out phx for fp :), I'm sure there's no problem...

anonymous in Toledo, Ohio

Updated 24 days ago

Which of these IT Jobs would you take? (Various cities, titles, salaries) - 10 Replies

I am in my 30's and have a background in software development, healthcare, and biomedical research. I am weighing the pros and cons of leads I have...

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

Updated 24 days ago

Would you work for a Bimbo? - 7 Replies

Just a lighter discussion topic.... So I see a local job posting for a merchandiser position at Bimbo Bakeries. This puts all sorts of images in...

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

Updated 24 days ago

What kind of dreams or nightmares do you have while unemployed? - 18 Replies

I keep having reoccurring dreams that i just get given a briefcase or bag full of money, and all my cares in the world are gone. I also have a...

Hannah Larsson in Boston, Massachusetts

Updated 24 days ago

Should I contact recruiter? - 4 Replies

Hi everyone, I had a phone screen with a company recruiter last Thursday and at the end of the call, she said she was gonna speak to the hiring...

Gtothalo in Charlotte, North Carolina

Aint it funny?

You speak to a recruiter or hr person, and they cant even do the job they are soliciting you for? I got a call from allstate insurance, and the...

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio

Updated 24 days ago

Whaddya do when... - 3 Replies

you've got 2 jobs, but neither of them is adequate? One only pays once a month and isn't available NEARLY often enough. The other is more...

Stare into the abyss and the abyss stare in Texas

Updated 24 days ago

Do you ever - 14 Replies

get intimidated by the wording of a job post? Such as when they state in the requirements "fast learner", when you don't feel you are one? I could...

Updated 24 days ago

Career suggestion exercise - 4 Replies

What are some specific jobs/careers you'd suggested based on the following personal description? I'm a laid back person, in between an extrovert...

Updated 24 days ago

Definitely not your Mama's Job Market. - 9 Replies

According to this article, some 34% of American workers are now considered Freelancers. http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/are-you-...

JobHero in New York, New York

5 job search rules you should break

Some job search rules are unbreakable. Catering your application to the position you’re applying for is an absolute must, even if you only make tiny...

Linda in Detroit, Michigan

Updated 24 days ago

Is it tacky - 3 Replies

to inquire about a company's "openings", while on the job w/a different company?

kavya in Delhi, India

What is review on PlacementIndia ?

Hello, I want to know your suggestion about PlacementIndia means what do you think about this job portal. Is this job portal is good for finding a...

Joe Gagill1 in Key West, Florida

Updated 25 days ago

Online Job Applications - 2 Replies

Have you ever in the middle of a job application and just said "screw this" and quit doing that particular application? LOL

JulianCook in Frederick, Maryland

Updated 25 days ago

Posting Your Resume - 8 Replies

Have any of you posted your resume on Indeed or another job posting board? Did any job recruiters interested in your resume call you for an interview?

Jeremy in Las Vegas, Nevada

Updated 25 days ago

Job hunting with an expunged misdemeanor...any success stories? - 74 Replies

Last summer I was cited for my first time (and my last time) for shoplifting clothing. At the time, I made one bad decision.. to this day, I still...

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

Updated 25 days ago

Is this a - 12 Replies

"bait & switch" type of thing or what? Seems that way. I'd applied for a laundry job that a local elderly care company had posted. They called...

Marcy Travis in Prattsburgh, New York

Updated 25 days ago

Career Change Suggestions - 3 Replies

I recently left the retail industry to spend some time with family, but I've quickly learned that not working is almost as bad as working too much! I...

James in Alexandria, Virginia

Updated 25 days ago

Resume writing services?? - 51 Replies

Have you used them and do you find them helpful? Positive or negative experiences across the board please??

Innsbruck Resort Golf Club in Helen, Georgia

Innsbruck Resort & Golf Club

Welcome to North Georgia's most talked about golf Course! Visit Helen GA and play in the beautiful northeast Georgia mountains!

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

Updated 26 days ago

Medical Receptionist Jobs? - 8 Replies

I just wondered if anyone knows what the requirements might be to get a job as a medical receptionist? Has anyone ever worked as one? I have a...

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California

Updated 26 days ago

Recommended Background Check Service? - 1 Reply

Thanks so much if anyone can recommend a good background check service that I can use. I'd like to check my own background, just to get an idea of...

Sup in Chicago, Illinois

Updated 26 days ago

Should I take a temporary postdoc job while looking for a real job? - 2 Replies

I got my PhD from a US university. Right after, I spent a couple of years abroad due to a personal reason. I came back to the States and it has been...

shruti323@gmail.com in Sunnyside, New York

research technician job

Hi My name is shruti, I have MS degree from india, and had 2 year of research tech experience, but now I am jobless from last 1 year We are going...

jfelix816 in Alameda, California

Updated 27 days ago

Systems Engineer applying for position as Project Manager at a different company - 2 Replies

Hello, I have been a Systems Implementation Engineer for over 14 years who wants to make a career change into Project Management. I have and...

Updated 27 days ago

I don't know what to do anymore. Why? - 10 Replies

I’m at my wits end. I have tried everything to get a job. I am so tired of applying. I’m in my late twenties and have been unemployed for a few years...

PoppyKenna in Manhattan, Kansas

Updated 27 days ago

Just accepted a job and still interviewing for others? - 4 Replies

I am a college student majoring in human resources. For the past couple of months, I have been applying for part time jobs for some extra cash. I...

C David Guittard in Greenville, Texas

Updated 27 days ago

Letters of Recommendation from Professors - 10 Replies

Is it reasonable to request a letter, not so much a "recommendation", but attesting that I attained an A in my class? I think it would help to...

hmarens in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

Medical Coding programs?

Hey ALL! My name is Heather. I was hoping someone here could guide me in the right direction of the best way to get into Medical Coding?! I have...

Jackofnothing in New York, New York

Updated 27 days ago

Company viewing LinkedIn before interview?? - 2 Replies

I am scheduled for an interview for a Process Engineer position on Thursday and so far it’s been the standard interview process…applied online, phone...

B in Alexandria, Virginia

Updated 27 days ago

Resume Advice - 7 Replies

Hey heres my situation: I have been unemployed for 5 months. I have my BA degree in Business. Last year I was in school for my MBA but did not...

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

Updated 27 days ago

Why is it - 4 Replies

that applying for a laundry attendant position REQUIRES no less than "5" hoops to jump through on the company's website?? It's not like I'm applying...

Updated 27 days ago

No one wants to hire me... really need advice. - 44 Replies

I feel like i've been trying to get a job in like forever. Ever since I got out of high school and went onto college, I've been trying to get a job...

RegJD in Houston, Texas

Updated 27 days ago

HOW CAN I FIND A GRAPHIC DESIGN JOB WITH LITTLE EXPERIENCE? - 28 Replies

My main problem: I am having a lot of trouble finding a graphic/web design job, likely because of my lack of experience. I am a graphic/web...

Marcy Travis in Prattsburgh, New York

Updated 27 days ago

I got this email from an employer..what would be the best reply? [Help] - 1 Reply

I reside in India and had applied to several jobs in Canada 2 months ago (and am looking to move there). I just got this reply from a...

ChinUp in Pittsfield, Massachusetts

Reapplying to previous workplace

Seven plus years ago I worked at a local company on an as needed basis. Due to my own faults I was let go and transitioned to another job an hour...

Nancy King in Buffalo, New York

Updated 28 days ago

Applying for same company after rejection - 8 Replies

What is the policy or rule on applying for the same company after a rejection? I had the opportunity to interview with the company for one position,...

Updated 29 days ago

Job didn't work out, how to explain this to future employers for same kind of job? - 15 Replies

Hello. I turned 25 last month and a few days after I lost what felt like the perfect job. I'm going to try to condense this: The previous...

Updated 29 days ago

College Graduate trying to Get out of Retail - 5 Replies

I Graduated College with a Bachelors Degree with a major in Finance and a minor in Marketing around May 2014. I currently work as a cashier in a...

Anonymous in Irving, Texas

Updated 29 days ago

Job Opening is Re-posted. Should I Apply Again? - 16 Replies

I did two phone interviews for a position, HR and the hiring manager. I received an email rejection letter. I did send an email to the hiring manager...

Updated 29 days ago

How do I get rid of this habit? - 10 Replies

I start my new job in 2 days but I find that when I'm bored I still apply to full time jobs

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

Updated 29 days ago

Take pay cut to work closer to home - 5 Replies

I travel a pretty average distance to work, 60 miles out and back. On average travel 180 to 240 miles a week. I make $20 an hour. I pay $50 for gas a...

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

Updated 29 days ago

Negotiating Advice: is it too late? Please help - 2 Replies

I was offered a position today. It was offered via phone (I was driving, she was commuting) and I haven't received anything in writing. She ran...

sammyperez11 in Germany

Elliott And Associates: Neuvonta Kaikille Perheenjäsenille

Elliott Associates on säädetty lasten neuvontaan, teinit, nuoret aikuiset ja aikuiset monta vuotta. Se on rakentanut mainetta yhtenä johtavista...

kanderna in Iowa City, Iowa

Updated 1 month ago

Wondering where to go... - 2 Replies

Hey all, Really just looking for anyone's opinion at this point. I have a computer science/programming background (00-05), but left it behind,...

They have MANY applicants. in La Crosse, Wisconsin

Updated 1 month ago

Disappointed & Discouraged - 15 Replies

First, I just want to say that I'm a husband, father, and former US Marine. Without saying too much, I served in the 03 field of the Marine Corps....

Leeann66 in South Western Ontario

Updated 1 month ago

Feels good to be back in the employment world - 1 Reply

Makes me appreciate employment more. This is the shortest time I have ever been without employment. I was unemployed on and off for over 2 years. My...

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

Updated 1 month ago

4,000 jobs applied to this year and nothing - 31 Replies

Hi, I applied to more job's then usual this year. I was laid off in May over that time applied to at least 3,000 jobs. Working full time now, but the...

Gtothalo in Charlotte, North Carolina

11 avoidable reasons you might be hearing no from employers

Sometimes, it's the small and meaningless details that prevent us from landing a job. In today's job economy, employers are looking for anything and...

Page: « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »

RSS Feed Icon Subscribe to this forum as an RSS feed.

» Sign in or create an account to start a discussion.