23 looking for a career not a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Stillsearching in Saint Peters, Missouri

27 months ago

Well ill keep this short and sweet. I'm 23 still at home and need to get out. I have a friend In the police academy I'll be rooming with soon. I've got about 5k saved and my own car paid for.

Right now I have a good job. I make about 20 an hour but it is very insecure as in I'm very expendable. Also I'm looking good at a big hours cut coming.

My plan was to go to the cc for ota but after reading so many negatives and learning how over saturated the job market is it doesn't seem like an option.

All I'm looking for is something stable that I can make around 20 an hour. I will be paying 100% myself and don't want to be drowning in loan debt. I'm trying to find a degree that will definitely help me get a job or a job with opportunities to move up in. I do to want a 4 year I'm looking for a 2.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

27 months ago

Stillsearching in Saint Peters, Missouri said: Well ill keep this short and sweet. I'm 23 still at home and need to get out. I have a friend In the police academy I'll be rooming with soon. I've got about 5k saved and my own car paid for.

Right now I have a good job. I make about 20 an hour but it is very insecure as in I'm very expendable. Also I'm looking good at a big hours cut coming.

My plan was to go to the cc for ota but after reading so many negatives and learning how over saturated the job market is it doesn't seem like an option.

All I'm looking for is something stable that I can make around 20 an hour. I will be paying 100% myself and don't want to be drowning in loan debt. I'm trying to find a degree that will definitely help me get a job or a job with opportunities to move up in. I do to want a 4 year I'm looking for a 2.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated

If you're interested in the health care area, have you researched other careers within the health field; nursing, medical assistant, dental assistant or pharmacy technician, these are either certificate or two year programs. I have family/friends in these fields and they make a decent salary and enjoy their job(s), plus it's been a stable career for them! According to the U.S. Department of Labor's, the health care and social assistance industry is projected to create about 28 percent of all new jobs created in the U.S. economy from 2010 to 2020... ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Dental way over saturated and pharm Techs hardly make 10/h.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Mabye people making around that or better could say what they do and how they got to that position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Bump

26 months ago

Bump

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

26 months ago

What does BUMP mean ???

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

26 months ago

Beth,

It means posting to the thread so that is is bumped up to the top of the queue. I don't have any advice for this poster but hopefully someone will.

I would as Still Searching what sort of job they are doing now. Twenty dollars an hour would suit me just fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I was thinking paralegal but it seems very stressful. Emt is two years but even more stressful. Literally lives in your hands. I also looked into health information technology but those are all 4 years of schooling

26 months ago

Court reporters is something I see mentioned a bit. Most young people have pretty good tech skills, tech support?

Can I ask what you are dong now?

26 months ago

Find a "regular" job you like and work your way up into management levels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Andrews in San Diego, California

13 months ago

I think there are a few ways the original poster can go. The first would be to do something technology related. You can get some basic IT certifications at a local community college. These jobs pay well and there are plenty of them.

You could go the healthcare route but it can be more competitive. The barriers to entry for these jobs is small and there are fewer jobs available. An EMT as someone mentioned is stressful: www.emtguide.org/emt-job-description/ . That is a job that will be tough to maintain over the long run as a career. It's better to choose a more stable career path. You could also go the paramedic route and then transition into becoming a firefighter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.