3 Degrees, 3 Certs, Class A CDL, OSHA Certs, Experience in all, No callbacks in over a year with constant applying..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Orillian in Lincolnton, North Carolina

54 months ago

30 YOA
5 Years US AirForce Engineer
Masters Computer Science WFU
Bachelors Mathematics WFU
Associates Computer Programming CVCC
CCNP ECPI
A+ ECPI
Human Resources South Western University
Class A CDL with clean record
All warehousing based OSHA certs
I speak (native)English, (native)Finnish, (native)Russian, Spanish

I've flooded sites like Dice, Indeed, SnagAJob, CraigsList for positions in multiple-industries, networked on LinkedIn. Literally 0-Callbacks in 14 months of effort. I've adjust my Rusume&CV per position and industry with professional help on all..

I spent 8 years over-seas and come back to this. Before I left I was literally handed any job I wanted even in NASA and major government security-clearance fields. I was literally offered a senior position at IBM because of just one of my qualifications, before I left..

I now can't even get a job in the local restaurants or retail..

I post this to show that it's not YOU. Based on my experience the American job market is full of lazy people who social network between careers and treat unknowns as applicant quotas for the sake of federal government audits so it looks like job market stimulation is happening on paper..

I've done an American thing, and created my own economic infrastructure. I do software contracting and wood working to earn a living now. Everyone has talents; use them and don't be at the mercy of a corrupt infrastructure that is rapidly decaying and has little regard for it's collateral damage(the American economy)!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

54 months ago

I don't have the master's but I have a helluva collection of certs. My results have been about the same although I've gotten interviews.

I agree completely, hiring today is a mess.

Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

YUP. My master's degree is getting me nowhere except into student loan default!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

54 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: YUP. My master's degree is getting me nowhere except into student loan default!!!

My first job after grad school was cleaning houses. LOL!

Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

54 months ago

Orillian in Lincolnton, North Carolina said: 30 YOA
CCNP ECPI
A+ ECPI

I've flooded sites like Dice, Indeed, SnagAJob, CraigsList for positions in multiple-industries, networked on LinkedIn. Literally 0-Callbacks in 14 months of effort. I've adjust my Rusume&CV per position and industry with professional help on all..

I spent 8 years over-seas and come back to this. Before I left I was literally handed any job I wanted even in NASA and major government security-clearance fields. I was literally offered a senior position at IBM because of just one of my qualifications, before I left..

I now can't even get a job in the local restaurants or retail..

I post this to show that it's not YOU. Based on my experience the American job market is full of lazy people who social network between careers and treat unknowns as applicant quotas for the sake of federal government audits so it looks like job market stimulation is happening on paper..

I've done an American thing, and created my own economic infrastructure. I do software contracting and wood working to earn a living now. Everyone has talents; use them and don't be at the mercy of a corrupt infrastructure that is rapidly decaying and has little regard for it's collateral damage(the American economy)!!!

Wish you the best!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Orillian in Lincolnton, North Carolina

54 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: My first job after grad school was cleaning houses. LOL!

When I was 13(1996) I had an entire business infrastructure around cutting grass and a summer job helping in construction. I made better money than most people do now just in contract construction.

I also had talent with computers then, but local PC shops were full of fat half-skilled slobs who were hostile against competition(who have since been replaced by more gross incompetence). I actually advice against doing local PC repair and sales business still today, this market is currently saturated with wealthy people who open stores after reading a dummies book; quality and turn-around aren't even factors in this market either, it's who has official logos or rent space;; I've seen drunk drop-outs trumping certified and experienced start-ups in this market..

Talking about legacy job markets is pretty pointless though.

To people with degrees and no work experience: Not getting callbacks do to lack of experience is a industry generic phenomenon. Ditch diggers, roofers, and general laborers have the same issue. All industries use social networking and "risk leveraging(HR stuff)", your degree is only a prerequisite/requirement. Learn how "HR Filters" work and use social engineering and networking.

Although given the competition and market saturation, unless you have exceptional social characteristics(ex:good looks) or an insider, you'll probably end up like me or depending on employment agencies, which only have contracts with local plants who need temp labor.

P.S. I'm currently developing software for a start-up and doing software contracts, but I'm lucky to pull in a few hundred a month, so I have to do wood working and market the hell out of it. Lets just say I have little overhead now in ways of luxuries and conveniences. Massive inflation and regression don't help.. Pretty impressive for an air-force engineer who has qualified for NASA, isn't it?

Reply - Report abuse

Thalamos in Temple, Texas

54 months ago

Orillian in Lincolnton, North Carolina said: 30 YOA
CCNP ECPI
A+ ECPI

First off, thank you for your service. Secondly, that's one helluva portfolio you have there. Unfortunately, believe it or not, you are WAY over qualified for restaurant or retail work. I've been a hiring manager in a retail business and I can tell you that I wouldn't be able to pay you nearly what you're worth and therefore would probably move on to the next application.

However, have you considered trimming your resume to reflect only the degrees and certs relative to what you're applying for? While to some, like myself, all of those accomplishments are very impressive. However, for many, the varied collection of certs, degrees and experience may show someone that you don't have a focus goal. Just food for thought.

As I said, I would tried making more than one resume, each focused toward the particular job that you may be applying for.

Reply - Report abuse

ajag in Eolia, Missouri

54 months ago

Agreed, you are too overqualified. I've had it happen myself. If you currently make X dollars and apply for a job paying a lower amount, they assume you won't stick around b/c you would qualify for better jobs elsewhere. So again make it apply to the position. Also in your objective statement try to explain why you are seeking employment at a deli rather than your professional field. Ex. Seeking position to learn interpersonal skills, seeking employment with a community focused employer, etc.

Reply - Report abuse

Derek.e@*****.*** in Birmingham, Alabama

53 months ago

Do you want to stay on Maryland, or are you open to other areas? If you want to stay in software engineering, consider areas like Phoenix, Arizona, or the Silicon Valley. Let me know if you are interested in other areas.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.