4 year IT degree no job and no experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 545)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

hermeneus in San Diego, California

57 months ago

Also try to find an organization you can get involved with in your profession. You will network, exercise your skills and possibly learn what you can do to increase your chances of getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Jatty in Westfield, Indiana

49 months ago

If it's computers and you have no experience, sometimes you can get away with doing hobby things. Fix someone's computer, make some mock websites, install some servers and try to break them or cause trouble then decide how you deal with it... then you put those on your resume as projects you have done. Not everything on your resume has to be paid if you are just starting out. What's going to be important to other IT folks is usually that you are passionate about what you are doing. You can even be remote by helping out answering questions or doing research on message boards. This type of volunteer work could be physical too in your community - helping teach computers to elderly or youth in a social group. There are just soooo many ways to get IT work on a resume.

It's like a book I read on game development. Someone said that they get tons of e-mails about kids saying that they want to be game programmers. They would just blow the majority off since they could prove no real interest. Occasionally though they would find that diamond in the rough that sent a mail and a demo of their own game or a knockoff of an existing game.

The point is - if IT is for you - you will find something to do in it because you want to - whether it pays or not. When you walk in with 0 experience, it's only because you don't want to have any or you want your hand held to get some :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

tt in Atlanta, Georgia

49 months ago

You better find someone to get you in the door because with this economy and no experience. You are pretty much screwed. All I can say is keep trying at it and it may take awhile but keep at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

jonny70 in Seattle, Washington

49 months ago

While its true that finding a job with an education and no experience is going to be tough its not impossible. I think that you might consider looking for a help desk support job, and then while on that job study on your own for a networking certification. I don't know that you necessarily need to enroll in a formal schooling program to get a masters. You could look at specific microsoft or cisco certifications.

Check out the microsoft.com/learning site for more details on what certs are available and what tests are required. With your schooling now you may be able to pass some of the low level microsoft certification exams with out a lot of study. That might help you become more competitive finding a job in the IT field. Right now through the end of June they are running a promotion "Second Shot" that will allow you to take the test twice if you fail to get a sufficient score the first time. Cisco also periodically runs similar deals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

49 months ago

The problem is a lot of those entry level jobs have vanished* while the quality of education has not improved or has kept up with market demands.
There's Youtube video where a veteran in the field said someone would need extraordinary talent to break in. In other words, you'd have to be a genius to stand out. You have to be able to learn new programs in two days and you just have to do the work that three people were doing ten years ago. Some of the certifications are expensive,

The information I gave you is why I'm hesistant to go back to school for anything in IT outside of hardware repair.

That said, you're much more ahead that I am. I envy anyone who knows java right now. You should have some work that you did as a student that you can put up on a website. You do have a website, don't you?

*outsourced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

don_henderson07@yahoo.com in Kennesaw, Georgia

43 months ago

I have a Bachelor'e degrre in information technology from American International University, with a specialty is networking, but have no experiance. When I apply for a job they all want certifications in (example: CCNA, Microsoft SSIP) how do I overcome this. Do I need to go back to school to get these?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

fable187@gmail.com in Kingwood, Texas

40 months ago

Yeah definitely. Your own consultancy firm isn't a bad idea. I had to grab a crummy job working as a field tech but it was worth it, it opened up some new doors thats for sure. I wish you luck too my friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

will629 in Rochester, New York

40 months ago

Add me to the list of degree/no experience. I earned my Associates in Computer Information Systems in 2003, haven't used it yet. Plus, there's large gaps in my employment history which doesn't help any & my real world experience is on the lesser side consisting mostly of short term warehouse type work, I'm 29 now. Recently I joined a local job networking organization and I'm enhancing my typing skills using an online tutorial...had to force some changes to happen. Hopefully the end result will be employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

don_henderson07@yahoo.com in Kennesaw, Georgia

38 months ago

I have the same issue. I have been a Manufacturing Engineer for 30 yrs. I would like to change fields. I went back to school and got a Bachelor's in information Technology in 2008, but have no experience. How do I get a job at any level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tp30 in Converse, Louisiana

31 months ago

I can relate to this all. I have a Associate degree in Information system a Bachelor degree in Industrial technology finish in 2005. I ran into the same problems.......no certifications. So i got frustrated and start teaching for 3 years. Now i am back in school for a Masters in Computer science. I hate programming!!!! So with this being said i was looking into IT program at Antonelli colloge that does hands on guarantee certifications and internship. Guarantee job when you complete the class. It's a A.S degree but it will give me what everyone is looking for plus a job i am 30 yrs. old now. This may actually work for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

31 months ago

fable187@gmail.com in Kingwood, Texas said: Yeah definitely. Your own consultancy firm isn't a bad idea. I had to grab a crummy job working as a field tech but it was worth it, it opened up some new doors thats for sure. I wish you luck too my friend.

How is that a crummy job?? If it is the difference between that and no job then you take what you can get?? Do they check credit like most companies do?? I have not been able to get a job due to bad credit. multiple charged off credit cards makes me unemployable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rorican4040 in Columbus, Ohio

30 months ago

Yeah, I'm afraid to say that our market has been saturated with an abundant amount of unusable degrees. The schools we attended banked on the fact that IT was growing at such a rapid pace and knew it would be a good idea to market to that niche. Unless you're going government, certs are far more important than degrees, no one wants to train in IT, they all want you to hit the ground running. A cert shows that you can do that, a degree, not so much. We've all been duped. I too have a huge amount of student loan debt, with creditors harassing me, close to garnishing my paychecks and the best job I can find is a Front Desk Analyst, basically a security guard who lets people in and out of a data center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

hpardo87 in Satellite Provider

29 months ago

I want to put this as nicely as i can to all you fine future IT Professionals..... Degrees now a days say you can deal with 4 years of dealing with classes... Employers wants certifications and experience yes.... but most of them will settle for certifications IF... thats a pretty big IF ... you have the right ones... Big ones today are security and routing & switching certs.... for example Comptia Security+(entry level Security cert good place to start to get use to certifications and cheap) CCENT (Entry Level Cisco Routing and Switching cert..), CISSP ( The golden Standard for security Certifications you get this cert expect to be head hunted.. or at least not have any issues at all finding a job*** Requires 5 years proven experience to earn this certification but you can take the exam and become an associate and once you meet the experience requirements you can switch over to the 5 years), CCNA (first entry Level to PROFESSIONAL certifications you should be able to land a job with this might have to fight a little bit for it but its a good start Cisco Routing and Switching) CCNP... CCIE(6 Figure job on average and in HIGH Demand)... In the end if your serious about your career as an IT Professional obtain certifications to show it... and choose a concentration... I.E.... Networking Engineering(CISCO Certs).... Security(CEH(Certified Ethical Hacker) CISSP(Certified Information Systems Security Professional)....) Employers are going to want this as it truly shows you have the skills to preform in these jobs....

I currently have my Comptia Security+, Comptia Network+, CCNA... i am working on CCNA Security, CISSP, and CCNP......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Bel Air, Maryland

29 months ago

I am currently a business major but have had a love for computers and IT. I have decided to switch majors to informations systems security. I would have started with this major years ago but I have heard it is very hard to get a job. I had planned to get an associates and work in the field while getting my batchelors degree. The batchleors degree at my current college comes with certifications but I need a certification or 3 years of IT experience to enter the program. I need some advice.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hpardo87 in Satellite Provider

29 months ago

@Dave.....
I would recommend starting with the basic Entry level Certifications by CompTIA.. they are a good way to get your feet wet they don't cost much and they are easy... but make sure you study... there is a lot of information online about all the certifications... is security the field you want to really work in? and really its in high demand... Security+ might be able to get you a job as an infosec officer... but really what they are looking for are your SSCP and CISSP and the concentrations ISC2 exams.. CEH if you want to do penetration testing... i recommend thinking about what you want to work on do you want to be a tech? management? what do you want to do.. and this will determine much of your career path. Also if i think your talking about the right school i think you might be talking about WGU/... remember everyone has to start somewhere and there are plenty of opportunities out there for you its all about how bad you want it. either way check out this website tons of information....www.techexams.net.. also if you want you can send me an email at hpardo87@gmail.com if you have any questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Avg in Medford, Massachusetts

29 months ago

hpard087, where do you live?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SM2012 in Orlando, Florida

29 months ago

I am currently majoring in Information Technology, however, I have never really had any experience fixing or troubleshooting computers. I have built a website for a class project and wrote a simple program, but that is just about it. I feel like I don't know anything and that my degree is just going to be a waste. I don't know what I want to do as far as a career, but I have a few that I may be interested in. I want to intern at a great company so I can gain some experience and advance my skills and hopefully this will help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cry_Baby_Obama in East Tulare County, California

29 months ago

schante78 in Lima, Ohio said: Hello I graduated from a accredited college in 2007 and earned a 4year degree in Information Technology. I took classes in which I learned to program in languages such as; cobol, c+, and visual basic. I also learned database management, RPG programming and a little networking. However I do not use the skills on the job and fear I will lose all skills if I do not find a job in my career field soon. I do not care if I start at the bottom and am even willing to volunteer to get experience and keep my skills fresh. I'm considering going back to school to get a certificate in Networking, but I do not plan on putting in more money into this major such as going further getting a masters. I have had interviews but all I hear is "I don't have work experience." How can i get experience without a chance? What can I do?

Face-Book is hining , if you like to fine you more, go to yahoo seach Face_Book on click on job, career and go luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

vic the tic in Killeen, Texas

29 months ago

Here is my qualifications:
Masters Info Tech Mgmt
B.S Lib Arts
AA NetwK Admin
AA Info Tech
AA Security

Certs include:
CompTIA Sec+
CompTIA Net+

Unlike a lot of people who were surprised that they need a cert I always knew that certs were more valuable than a degree, but you still need the degree to get PAID. Certs get you in the door but degrees will be the difference in being above or below your peers. So if you got the degree that is the hard and long part. The next step is the cert. All you need for that is some dedication, because they are a little bit more intriquate than your overall degree.

I dont like it when people suggest a person with no cert go out and get an advanced cert like cissp and the others. If I were giving someone advice and they didn't have any certs it would not be to get a cissp there is nothing after that. That is like the crem dela crem those certs are for someone bucking for IT Manager promotion and already established and that is a prerequisite of the Job title of the current or next position. You might see that in a job description but that is only because the company has invited the public to apply for the high level job announcement, which you will not get before the established person gets it, so look but don't touch. Trust me if you have cissp you are not looking for a job for the first time. The average employer is not even asking for that. At entry level or at minimum what they are asking for is A+ if you want to fix computers, or Net+ and or Sec+ if you want to be an administrator or helpdesk (resetting passwords and making accounts).
Just like all of you I have no experience fresh out of college. I got the certs because I knew I needed them, also I figured what good is it to say you are IT and not anykind of cert. Can a lawyer say he is a lawyer and not taken the bar exam. Can a doctor work on you or say he is the doctor and not passed a state exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vic the tic in Killeen, Texas

29 months ago

Recruiters call center reps been blowing up my email with offers for temp contract work and call center reps, but no real job offers. I will do them for the experience.
These are jobs an 18 yr old right out of highschool can get. Im baffled and don't have any real advice.answers.I suppose we aren't the only ones to figure IT is a lucrative field. What I did was start my own business a year ago so no matter what I am always employed, income or no income. I am using that as my experience and the company I work for. Ironically it is an IT company, and I do all of the positions LOL ( Help desk, network tech, security manager..ect).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jobless in Lebanon, Virginia

28 months ago

In 2003, Just 2 semesters shy of graduating with my bachelor's of science in Computer Info Systems, I was surprised to find the massive wave of employers all over the country who was NOT willing to hire me because I was green. That ole catch 22 had me locked out even before i got started and it still does, 8 years after I've graduated. If I would've known that i would have had to spend up to hundreds or thousands in certifications that don't even last but a few years each I would have ran from the IT field. I have heard the 'e' word experience till i could 'e'xplode. How the hell is somebody supposed to get ahead when all these companies are trying to do is screen you out and knock you flat? Case in point, my own college wouldn't hire me for a position in a computer lab before I graduated citing the same crap as everyone else and I thought 'Way to have faith in your graduates there buddy' lol.

Hopefully I can re-career in something I actually enjoy doing that won't be so detrimental to my credit and hopefully i won't have to waste another 4 years at an institution on a worthless 'toilet paper' degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

28 months ago

jobless in Lebanon, Virginia said: In 2003, Just 2 semesters shy of graduating with my bachelor's of science in Computer Info Systems, I was surprised to find the massive wave of employers all over the country who was NOT willing to hire me because I was green. That ole catch 22 had me locked out even before i got started and it still does, 8 years after I've graduated. If I would've known that i would have had to spend up to hundreds or thousands in certifications that don't even last but a few years each I would have ran from the IT field. I have heard the 'e' word experience till i could 'e'xplode. How the hell is somebody supposed to get ahead when all these companies are trying to do is screen you out and knock you flat? Case in point, my own college wouldn't hire me for a position in a computer lab before I graduated citing the same crap as everyone else and I thought 'Way to have faith in your graduates there buddy' lol.

Hopefully I can re-career in something I actually enjoy doing that won't be so detrimental to my credit and hopefully i won't have to waste another 4 years at an institution on a worthless 'toilet paper' degree.

IT is on my AVOID LIST as far as careers go for all the reasons you mentioned. Too many problems with this field now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Fargo, North Dakota

28 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: The best advice for those just starting out is to abandon IT.

IT has extremely grim job prospects and is heavily h1b infested. The vast majority of IT can be offshored and companies can legally bring in low cost foreign labor.

IT is a poor investment. Get lots of student loan debt for a BS degree and then either not find a job or end up with a low paying "throw away" job.

For those of you that got worthless for profit IT degrees such as ITT Tech, Devry, etc., what those institutions don't tell you is that the "booming high tech field" is a myth.

Yep. All true. Though the few exceptions (extraordinarily talented, perfect grades from the "right" school, or knows someone types) will probably argue these statistically-valid, real-world points, as these people are more likely to be some of the few anomalies.

In fact, when I enrolled in Rasmussen College's "Information Systems Management" Associate's program about 4 years ago, I stupidly (blindly) believed the banner over the Fargo campuses' entryway declaring "Computer Networking is Hot!!!"

Yes - it's "hot" (like a pool of sun-warmed water attracts schools of sucker minnows to be gobbled by various and sordid predators - the school itself, those supplying its accoutrements, and the people hoping to live off the interest of the loans I can't pay back).

My point - the school gladly helped bury me in debt (my decision, yes;but, their deception), and has done NOTHING for me in terms of their advertised "career placement assistance" (the economy is a variable independent from this fact).

I have been graduated since June 2010, in supposedly the most viable economy (on average) in the United States (North Dakota), but can't even get a job INTERVIEW, much less an offer.

The economy sucks.
IT sucks.
And Rasmussen College SUCKS.

Tim
Fargo, ND

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Fargo, North Dakota

28 months ago

Hoapres -

Good advice. Thanks.

The main problem with western North Dakota's oil boom, is exactly that:

with every boom, comes a subsequent bust (developers don't want to buy/build land/housing only to have it sit vacant in the future...so there's currently a severe housing shortage relative to the worker influx).

However - and because I'm sick and tired of my fruitless, 18-month IT job hunt - there ARE high-paying truck driver gigs in those parts (oil fields).

As such - and to basically say "good riddance" to the stress and anxiety of my computer career search - I have simply resigned myself to the good-paying, yet intellectually unstimulating (NO offense to anyone) quest to obtain CDL training, licensing, and a job.

Nevertheless, I will, most likely, obtain as many IT certs as I can - and possibly a few of the non-IT certs/classes you've listed - just in case that by some miracle, our government stops hosing the prospects for native-born IT workers/graduates (fat chance, right?).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Tim
Fargo, ND

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

malexlantz in Luxemburg, Wisconsin

27 months ago

schante78 in Lima, Ohio said: Hello I graduated from a accredited college in 2007 and earned a 4year degree in Information Technology. I took classes in which I learned to program in languages such as; cobol, c+, and visual basic. I also learned database management, RPG programming and a little networking. However I do not use the skills on the job and fear I will lose all skills if I do not find a job in my career field soon. I do not care if I start at the bottom and am even willing to volunteer to get experience and keep my skills fresh. I'm considering going back to school to get a certificate in Networking, but I do not plan on putting in more money into this major such as going further getting a masters. I have had interviews but all I hear is "I don't have work experience." How can i get experience without a chance? What can I do?

I am in the same situation. I have an Associate's degree in IT/Visual Communication and a Bachelor's degree in IT/Web Development, but have no work experience in either of them. I also get a lot of e-mails that say I do not have enough experience. How do I get experience or get a job in my field if no one is hiring people with only educational experience? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vluvy69 in El Paso, Texas

27 months ago

You might have to volunteer to do some computer work for free, like at a church or community center. There is also jobs online for computer science tutoring if you are at least smarter than a 5th grader you are in the house. Another thing you can do is look at some temp work, this will pay 10 to 15 an hour, low wage (remember the goal is experience not money at this point). You can also work as tech support at a call center. These jobs always need people and are in the field of Info Tech. If you are willing to swallow your pride and work down. Work these jobs for at least a year. Then while you are in the middle of one of these jobs apply for the jobs that you are now looking for. Certificates will not do, what they are looking for is certifications there is a difference. I feel your pain, I would not go for a masters either even though I have one. But my circumstance are different. I was paid to go to school. One thing I have learned is if you get networking certification that still does not say you can work on a workstation if you have to get into the weeds of why a network card is not operating properly. I highly suggest you get A+ first. then Network+, then Security+

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: OP should abandon IT

Best of Luck

That sounds harsh but IT is about the worse career to pursue. IT is heavily infested with foreign H1B labor and to make matters worse is that it is being rapidly offshored on a daily basis.

An A+ in and of itself is a complete joke and the only job you are likely to find is a "throw away" help desk job paying close to minimum wage.

I agree 100%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert R in Hilliard, Ohio

27 months ago

When I originally subscribed to this post I was in the same boat, I was working at Time Warner Cable Tier 3 and was utilizing my skill very little, some but not much. I think the best thing to do is get with a staffing firm, head hunter, type of place that will give you an assessment that you take at their office or online, certifications will take you along way but honestly, the most important things are not your technical skills, it's your soft skills, how you convey yourself, conduct yourself, believe in yourself. I have finally landed the job that I have been seeking since I started IT and I couldn't be happier. Perseverance is the key to success. When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will find it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcusXA069I

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

This video changed my life right here. www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z29W1IYNus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I listened to this audio for weeks straight. Don't be a quitter. You got to fight for what you want in life. It ain't all sunshine and reainbows. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lDNlwk6Tc0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Robert R in Hilliard, Ohio said: I listened to this audio for weeks straight. Don't be a quitter. You got to fight for what you want in life. It ain't all sunshine and reainbows. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lDNlwk6Tc0

*rainbows

morpheus in Coram, New York

27 months ago

Since my last comment about an year ago i have changed three jobs and finally landed on a great job in a bank ( I guess banks are the best place to work in this economy), they laid off about 4000 people in november , but my department has hired six more people since then . Since the last six month it has been great , hopefully everyone of you would find a job you desire

Good luck to all of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

morpheus in Coram, New York said: Since my last comment about an year ago i have changed three jobs and finally landed on a great job in a bank ( I guess banks are the best place to work in this economy), they laid off about 4000 people in november , but my department has hired six more people since then . Since the last six month it has been great , hopefully everyone of you would find a job you desire

Good luck to all of you.

They laid off 4,000 people in November and now hired six? Ha!

Just another reason to avoid the IT field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Zack in Cincinnati, Ohio

27 months ago

Hello, I am going to go to college soon at university of cincinnati for information systems and by reading all of this from what i understand certifications and experience are important in some cases so can anyone tell me which certifications i should go for? I was thinking starting with comptia a+,net+,sec+ or just go for a mct or mcsa cert. Also in regards to the other comments, should I not make this my major? If not please explain thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Zack in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hello, I am going to go to college soon at university of cincinnati for information systems and by reading all of this from what i understand certifications and experience are important in some cases so can anyone tell me which certifications i should go for? I was thinking starting with comptia a+,net+,sec+ or just go for a mct or mcsa cert. Also in regards to the other comments, should I not make this my major? If not please explain thank you.

You want to run from IT as fast as you can and go to plumbing school or into healthcare. The IT industry has been oversold for years now.

It is THE number one offshored field there is. It is EXTREMELY difficult to enter the field without experience. Your certifications are good for about 3 years and then they are out-of-date and its up to you to stay current and that gets expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

you had it right the first time a+,net+,sec+ then go for the other stuff. THis is base. you will have to start off with help desk before you do anything else unless you know someone. I don't care what else you got you will not get a help desk job without a+ so you might as well start off with it.

27 months ago

I agree with some of what you are saying, but remember the goal is to get into the door of IT. Helpdesk will do this no matter what folks think about it, it is entry level. Individuals will most likely get this job before they get sys admin, engineer and the other experience oriented IT jobs. You can't come right out of college and get one of these jobs unless you know someone who is hiring. If you try to get these upscale jobs with no experience or lack the A+ (which might be worthless to some but to employers it checks their block) you will be writing more exerpts on this site about IT being worthless. Remember to be the manager at BK you must have done fries or the grill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

well I don't agree that you cannot move from HD, you got tier I, and Tier II and so on. But my suggestion was not to even stay at the company, do the year or so, just for the experience, you might even be able to cross train while you are there over to server admin. Once you have milked them for all of their knowledge, quit(responsibly) since we know it is a dead end job (mostly because people homestead) Then apply else where. If you are next applying for system admin in another company, even though you weren't the sys admin per say you can write these skills on your resume along with your helpdesk and any other skills you picked up. This my friend is how you have gotten into the door and got experience. but you have to sacrifice doing the job that is less pleasing but necessary.

Career-changer in Rushville, Illinois

27 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You want to run from IT as fast as you can and go to plumbing school or into healthcare. The IT industry has been oversold for years now.

It is THE number one offshored field there is. It is EXTREMELY difficult to enter the field without experience. Your certifications are good for about 3 years and then they are out-of-date and its up to you to stay current and that gets expensive.

Healthcare is no better these days. X-ray techs, RRTs, and less known positions like Sleep Techs are becoming areas where it's harder to find a job than even 4 or 5 years ago. Just like IT there's a growing number of schools in the healthcare professions pumping out new grads every semester. Nurses may have a bit of an opening but that's only because so many either quit because they can't stand working with all those catty nurses or just burn out from the job. That or they scurry off to grad school, hoping to join the private girls club and get into nursing management.

X-ray especially was the hot, trendy thing to get into 10 years ago or further back. Lots of jobs and high pay. Grads flooded the market and things tightened up. I'm even reading stories on here about Nurse Practitioners having a tough time finding work, even with experience.

So no, healthcare is not the panacea it's made out to be. A hospital can be just as vicious a place to work as any Fortune 500 company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

With respect "Hoapres in San Jose, California" this not the 1970's or 80's. There was a computer boom during those times so any gain can be misconstrued. If you want to talk history and past tense we can do this. But we are trying to help folks out on this forum, and not by delivering them pipe dreams. To down play my Ideas is self-centered on your part. So it looks like several ideas are posted on this forum. I have tried my idea I have posted, and I was in the same boat as the rest of these guys, and it worked for me. You my friend got the job out of college as you say, (hand clap), that is good for you. (to be continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

(continued)
This forum exist because folks are not LUCKY or GOOD enough to have the same opportunity, SOME had. So come down to our level just long enough to make a post. The 100K jobs says a lot about you and your talent but not the percentage of people that appeal to these forums. By the way I started off with a 20K job in Helpdesk to build my resume, now I am working with Raytheon for 130K base, when I deploy it is 200K+. I would submit to others who apply to the post to please put forth reasonable applications. Applications that all can endure and not the elite few, like you Mr Hoarpes. Everyone does not get 100k jobs out of college, but I think you know that you were just bragging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Everyone negotiates his or her salary in military contracting. If you find a job board that supports your claim send it to me. Other than that you are just pretending to be a know it all. It took me years to get where I am, and not right of college. but, you can't argue with a man who claims to know what is in MY pocket.

Why would tell someone not to pursue IT, when you yourself is in it. Sounds like you are trying to deter the young competition that is coming out today. They will replace you (me too) and you will go into teaching as the rite of passage has been for all time. Stop trying to deter folks and encourage them and show them how to succeed. Lets find solutions. Would you tell your own kids to quit or show them how to succeed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

vluvy69 in El Paso, Texas said: Everyone negotiates his or her salary in military contracting. If you find a job board that supports your claim send it to me. Other than that you are just pretending to be a know it all. It took me years to get where I am, and not right of college. but, you can't argue with a man who claims to know what is in MY pocket.

Why would tell someone not to pursue IT, when you yourself is in it. Sounds like you are trying to deter the young competition that is coming out today. They will replace you (me too) and you will go into teaching as the rite of passage has been for all time. Stop trying to deter folks and encourage them and show them how to succeed. Lets find solutions. Would you tell your own kids to quit or show them how to succeed?

My father use to say, "Free advice is often worth what you paid for it".

IT as a career, is on my AVOID LIST as well but you do what you want to do and the best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I suppose it is equally hard for you believe a person can go from an environment from Burger King and cheetos to the Mountain tops of Afghanistan with an MRE. That is why the pay increase. But I digress, you continue to be skeptical.

Secondly, if a kid is looking for wealth, of course give him wholesome guidance, if it is something he loves give him encouragement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Taking a risk is the only thing I can agree with you on today. but again, the money wasn't the important thing, more so than opportunity was. If I survive this (it is not all that bad)then this is equally on my resume. Contracting in general is nothing permanent. As the governments take away the contracts one should also be concerned about whether your contract will be renewed by the company. So there is all kinds of concerns there. But a gig like this is not meant to last for 20years. Only a few can sustain that. I think if you can make more in one year than the average person can make in 3yrs go for it. provided the risk does not outweigh the reward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Well I would say, You have to have a level of satisfaction at some point. Some folks in this forum are asking should they get this cert and that. I say get the basics. The other certs are specialty certs. Now to me these certs (CCNA and MSCE and ect) are useless if you don't have working knowledge of lesser positions as well as the lesser certs.

Carl E Reid, CSI in New York, New York

27 months ago

Similar actions are suggested for starting a career as performing a career change. I recommend 2 action items for results.

1. Get on LinkedIn.com. Connect with people who do the type of job you wish to do. Connect with people who hire people for the type of job you wish to be hired. As you connect with people, DO NOT ask people for a job or ask "are they hiring at your company?". Instead ask each person questions related to how they developed their successful career. Develop relationships first. Then job opportunities will appear.

2. Now that you have the academic education for your career path, consider a acquiring some education on a)job search techniques that work in the 21st century business environment and b)proper networking approaches and etiquette. Unfortunately these topics are not taught in colleges and universities.

<a href="ETPnetwork.org"><b>Carl E. Reid, CSI</b></a>
Author of book Foreword in Win the Race for 21st Century Jobs
Chief Operations Officer
Empowering Today's Professionals

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zack in Cincinnati, Ohio

27 months ago

Thanks everyone for all of your input and advice it helped out a lot. I am second guessing about starting in information systems as my major but I have one more question is their any computer jobs that pay as well as some of those do? I want to do something with computers but I want something that is obviously going to be stable enough to where i can keep a job as a career not something where i work for a while then have times of downtime for months or even years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

malexlantz in Luxemburg, Wisconsin

27 months ago

How important is it to have certifications? Is it worth it to spend at least $200 on a exam that you are not guaranteed to pass, just to have something extra to put on your resume? When it comes down to it, what is the most important when employers are looking at applicants? It seems that the obvious, experience is the most important, but what is more important after that, graduate school, certifications, or neither?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Most jobs you will apply for will ask for certifications. If you don't have them they won't even consider your resume. For many jobs it is part of the requirements if you lack the requirements you will not be considered. Just like to be a UPS driver must have a driver license, it is a requirement. Though it does not prove you are a good driver, it does let them know you studied the theory took the test and passed. Now whether you study enough to pass is up to you and your preparedness. So you will have to make sure passing is not an issue. If you go into this without study you may be risking wasting the money. And you will have to pay for this before you enter the test center. Dont be scared, be ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.