Accept Internship or Keep Looking?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

jsfLip in Northern, Virginia

16 months ago

Hi all,

Some background info: I'm 25/unemployed, B.S. Psych (2011), did personal training for 2 years and currently changing career paths.

While on the job hunt, I was offered a paid summer HR internship through a contact, though HR isn't something I see myself doing as a career. Initially I thought it was a great opportunity to get my foot in the door at a growing company, and it would also allow me to research other jobs while getting paid.

Now, the opportunity came fast and I have yet to apply to jobs that I'm interested in. Also I have a couple job leads through my network with some big companies and was waiting for them to come thru. Would it be wrong to accept the internship just to stay busy in the meantime, only waiting to hear from other jobs? Or should I decline since I'm not that interested in HR anyway and keep applying?

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

jsfLip in Northern, Virginia said: Hi all,

Some background info: I'm 25/unemployed, B.S. Psych (2011), did personal training for 2 years and currently changing career paths.

While on the job hunt, I was offered a paid summer HR internship through a contact, though HR isn't something I see myself doing as a career. Initially I thought it was a great opportunity to get my foot in the door at a growing company, and it would also allow me to research other jobs while getting paid.

Now, the opportunity came fast and I have yet to apply to jobs that I'm interested in. Also I have a couple job leads through my network with some big companies and was waiting for them to come thru. Would it be wrong to accept the internship just to stay busy in the meantime, only waiting to hear from other jobs? Or should I decline since I'm not that interested in HR anyway and keep applying?

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Take what you can get. A B.S. in Psych is one of the most worthless degrees you can get. It screams, "I suck at math".

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

16 months ago

jsfLip in Northern, Virginia said:

Are they designer shoes? Stilettos? J/K. Really, I've sometimes wished lately that I was in HR because there seems to be work in that field, ie: employers need people to keep posting jobs on the internet that they never plan to fill.

Would there be opportunities for a real job with the company in another area once you completed your internship?

I found little that could be done with my undergraduate degree (BA in psych) aside from caseworker with MHMR, or Child Protective Services.

That's why I went and got myself a useless graduate degree, so I definitely advise against that!

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: I found little that could be done with my undergraduate degree (BA in psych) aside from caseworker with MHMR, or Child Protective Services.

There is always the french fry machine for you.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said:
That's why I went and got myself a useless graduate degree, so I definitely advise against that!

LOL!

jsfLip in Northern, Virginia

16 months ago

Luckily a degree is only a piece of paper, right? Let me simplify my scenario: do HR internship for the summer or do nothing while waiting on Deloitte and Northrop Grumman?

There may be an opportunity within the company once I complete the internship since it's growing rapidly.

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

16 months ago

jsfLip in Northern, Virginia said: Luckily a degree is only a piece of paper, right? Let me simplify my scenario: do HR internship for the summer or do nothing while waiting on Deloitte and Northrop Grumman?

There may be an opportunity within the company once I complete the internship since it's growing rapidly.

Please don't do nothing while waiting on Deloitte and Northrop Grumman. That could be a very long wait.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.