Acupuncture or Physical Therapy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jonathan Ridder in Columbus, Ohio

24 months ago

I've been a massage therapist for 10 years. I love this work and frankly I'm good at it. I've had the great opportunity to work alongside a chiropractor and have learned a great deal in my practice in conjunction with his guidance. I do deep tissue work that can be physically taxing and know that I cannot continue within this scope into my elder years.
I had thought that after my wife finished her doctorate work that I would go back to get the science requirements to apply to a DPT (Physical Therapy.) I already have a bachelors degree so I would be looking at 9 courses and the GRE before applying, then the three years for a DPT program and additional time for licensure exams; this brings the grand total to nearly 6 years, the expense of education and limiting work due to the school work load. I'm in my late thirties quickly approaching 40 so this all seems pretty daunting and I'm aware how competitive DPT application can be. My undergradaute GPA is 3.2, my massage school GPA was 3.7- so I'd really have to excel at those prereqs.!
As an alternative I recently have begin to consider Acupuncture school. This modality continues to garner nods from evidence based research and it seems that it would give me the opportunity to practice the type of one on one therapeutic approach I've come to value. In addition as I move on in age I recognize it's a practice I could continue into my golden years and continue doing massage therapy at a moderate level. This seems like the surest path, but I can't help feeling an overwhelming anxiety deciding which career path is the best decision. We each have the experiences, insights, and circumstances that shape our individual fates or paths, but I would love some feedback. Many Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lmmorgan in Salt Lake City, Utah

24 months ago

I would check out PA shcool?

Lynne L.AC, RN

Frank, L.ac. in Naperville, Illinois

22 months ago

DO NOT GO TO ACUPUNCTURE SCHOOL. Acupuncture is a great vocation but a very difficult career. Most PT's can do "dry needling" now which is acupuncture without the TCM component. As a PT, you can get a decent paying job anywhere, insurance reimbursement, MD referrals, etc. etc. An acupuncturist get little to no insurance reimbursement (at a low rate), iced out of workers comp and personal injury, very few job opportunities. You will almost certainly have to start your own clinic so you will have the responsibility of running the business as well. After 12 years, I wish every day I had gone to PT school instead. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Texas

22 months ago

I had a friend who was a massage therapist and got a two year degree to become a COTA. She works with kids and loves it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.